IGNORED

Fall Appalichian Riding Tour (FART) - Sept. 14-18 Natural Bridge, VA

Indy Dave

2 hours ago, Lowndes said:

Gooner's "signature:

"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people out there having fun on motorcycles. It makes me take another look." -Steve McQueen

LIKE it.

Thanks! That's from On Any Sunday after he and Malcolm Smith did the Elsinore GP.

• Like 1

FART 2022 Natural Bridge GPX Routes and .PDF of Route Descriptions

Jack Secret, here with goodies for y'all from your Geddy Lee Wannabe (a Rush reference, which you should be used to from Dave).

HERE ARE DA ROUTES! 

I believe they have uploaded properly along with a PDF of written route overviews to help you in choosing, perhaps. In the PDF is a link to a Dropbox I set up as well. 

I won't be at the event, sadly, but I hope you all enjoy the trip, love the roads like many of us do, arrive home safely with nothing but great memories (AND PICS!). 

Any questions about the routes ... see the PDF. It'll answer most questions. And if not, well ... count yourself lucky you are at least at the event!  :18:

Cheers!

Edited by Indy Dave
updated download links [Indy Dave]
  • Like 5
10 hours ago, SD1 said:

Are you just doing day rides from the Hotel? Do you by any chance have maps of the rides? 

Hi - good question! We do not have individual maps of the routes per se. We will have maps that show each route - but these are not generally detailed enough to navigate from on your bike - although certainly one could make their way. They are more intended as a birds-eye view of the route in relation to the larger general area. Is that what you are looking for, or are you looking for something to navigate or something else?

There are various programs that can convert .gpx files into maps - again - depending on what your intention is.

Please feel free to join us - you are more than welcome and a dedicated GPS is not a requirement to come! Feel free to post any questions here in the thread, or PM me. In the meanwhile - Here's a general idea of what a START/FART has in store for attendees.

Thanks - Indy Dave

These events tend to be loosely structured, allowing riders to make their own way, on their own schedule. There are a few constants, however.

1) At the end of the day, the hotel parking lot becomes a social gathering with riders sharing their version of the day's ride and other stories, often while sampling adult beverages. There is a enthusiastic Bourbon contingent and allegedly we have some home distillers in our midst. One provides their own refreshments - but plenty of sharing takes place..

2) Our newest tradition is Endobob's Pizza Extravaganza on Thursday night. This happens at the hotel and compliments item 1 above. The cost is whatever the pizza itself costs.

3) Friday night we have a group meal together. Details for the meal are announced about a month before the event. With our group size, I try to have these catered or have a food truck come to the hotel. Other times we will do a meal at restaurant. If we have a catered meal or arrange for a set meal at a restaurant or hotel (vs menu order), then we'll announce, along with the price - which will need to be paid for in advance. Whatever the meal arrangements are, they will be announced 4-6 weeks before the event.

It's worth noting that we do not organize any 'group' rides! We will provide several GPS routes of differing lengths that start at the hotel and include a lunch stop and return options back to the hotel of differing distances. Some riders ride alone, some in very small groups and some in small groups. Finding a group to ride with is easily done - generally during the parking lot social the night before or early the next morning. Some leave at the crack of dawn, most leave at more normal hours and still others need their beauty sleep - so there's something for everyone. These routes are famously outstanding! They will be released about a month before the event.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

Unavailable?   

Say, that is a secret, Jack.   

:dontknow:

HAHA You had me laughing out loud, William! Well Played!

Jack Secret was stage left back in the day, so you were on the right track, but had the wrong musician. 

About The Omega Concern (which was listed in some album liner notes):

As Alex realized that he had to play acoustic guitar for some Rush tunes and then quickly switch to his electric ("Closer to the Heart," etc.), he crafted a stand (actually an attachment to a Tama Titan cymbal stand) that holds his acoustic in an adjustable playing position.

He soon began to sell this as a product (1st to Music Emporium) under the company label "The Omega Concern." Apparently, Alex's "company" also made Geddy a light-up lyric stand and Neil got a newspaper/book holder so he could read while he eats breakfast.

So there you go!

I've fixed the link in Craig's post, in addition to mine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's a link to @Bernie's helpful guide to Garmins GPS units,  basecamp and how to load and use routes. This topic also includes a .pdf download at the end.

• Like 2

Thanks, I am interested in some scenic group rides. VA is a bit of a stretch for me, but I have no times constraints so am considering heading up there. Thanks for the detailed response!

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

Hi - good question! We do not have individual maps of the routes per se. We will have maps that show each route - but these are not generally detailed enough to navigate from on your bike - although certainly one could make their way. They are more intended as a birds-eye view of the route in relation to the larger general area. Is that what you are looking for, or are you looking for something to navigate or something else?

There are various programs that can convert .gpx files into maps - again - depending on what your intention is.

Please feel free to join us - you are more than welcome and a dedicated GPS is not a requirement to come! Feel free to post any questions here in the thread, or PM me. In the meanwhile - Here's a general idea of what a START/FART has in store for attendees.

Thanks - Indy Dave

These events tend to be loosely structured, allowing riders to make their own way, on their own schedule. There are a few constants, however.

1) At the end of the day, the hotel parking lot becomes a social gathering with riders sharing their version of the day's ride and other stories, often while sampling adult beverages and smoking fine cigars. There is a enthusiastic Bourbon contingent and allegedly we have some home distillers in our midst. One provides their own refreshments - but plenty of sharing takes place..

2) Our newest tradition is Endobob's Pizza Extravaganza on Thursday night. This happens at the hotel and compliments item 1 above. The cost is whatever the pizza itself costs.

3) Friday night we have a group meal together. Details for the meal are announced about a month before the event. With our group size, I try to have these catered or have a food truck come to the hotel. Other times we will do a meal at restaurant. If we have a catered meal or arrange for a set meal at a restaurant or hotel (vs menu order), then we'll announce, along with the price - which will need to be paid for in advance. Whatever the meal arrangements are, they will be announced 4-6 weeks before the event.

It's worth noting that we do not organize any 'group' rides! We will provide several GPS routes of differing lengths that start at the hotel and include a lunch stop and return options back to the hotel of differing distances. Some riders ride alone, some in very small groups and some in small groups. Finding a group to ride with is easily done - generally during the parking lot social the night before or early the next morning. Some leave at the crack of dawn, most leave at more normal hours and still others need their beauty sleep - so there's something for everyone. These routes are famously outstanding! They will be released about a month before the event.

Fixed it for you.

• Like 3
On 8/11/2022 at 6:30 AM, twistyguy said:

In!  Wed-Sun!  I’ll be making some off-road routes if anyone is interested.

Fantastic, Twisty! :bike:

On 8/11/2022 at 3:02 PM, K12rider said:

Dave,

I'm going to arrive Wed leaving Sunday - have already booked a room.

It has been some time -- but I'm Looking forward to riding with you guys -

Barry Moss

PS I'm interested in sharing a room with someone in the group ( can always cancel my reservation )

BARRY! You've have been missed, my friend! Which bike are you bringing??

On 8/7/2022 at 7:56 PM, Gooner said:

Dang it, I'll be traveling for work that weekend but wish I could be there. I've been mostly a lurker here but y'all will be in my backyard.  Hope everyone has a great time!

Well James . . . . That sucks!  Keep us in mind for START, the location will be announced st FART. BTW @boxflyer and Yours Truly will be having lunch at High's this Tuesday :eat:

On 8/17/2022 at 11:08 AM, SD1 said:

Thanks, I am interested in some scenic group rides. VA is a bit of a stretch for me, but I have no times constraints so am considering heading up there. Thanks for the detailed response!

Where would you be coming from? Getting here is half the fun!

@lawnchairboy - Welp - we will do our best to carry on without you, but only with assurances that you'll return next Spring for START!

We still have rooms and plenty of good riding and times to share  - hop on your bike and come join us!

823047778_whosgoingAug20.thumb.jpg.0c15ed1d1adee687f9ea3281c63aa7cf.jpg

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, justoutforaride said:

Hello, new to the fourm, i ride a 1250 rs. Is this fart ride open to new members? 

It is open to everyone.  Come on out.  Welcome to the forum.

• Like 2
missinginaction

Thanks count me in, just back from a east coast trip to the cabot trail. Now have new tires and 12k mtnc done. Ready for another journey. Looking forward to meeting like minded riders. My son may join in also. 

• Like 2

You will need to call the hotel, directly, to make the reservation.  540-291-2121  Tell them you are with the BMW sport Touring group in order to get the group rate.   There are rides posted for download.   Go to the first page for the link.

Welcome aboard!

See y'all there.

• Like 2
BerettaRacer

New guy here. Retired engineer. Was thinking about being in the area early to mid Sept and ran across this forum and this group ride. If things work out, and you don't mind, I may drop in and join your group for a couple of days as I pass thru.

My general plan was to leave So Fla, drive to Orlando, load the bike onto the AutoTrain up to Lorton, Va. See friends in north Va. for a day or two, then cruise down Skyline Dr, onto Blue Ridge, probably do a couple of laps on the Dragon, then a few days in Knoxville/Chattanooga area. Possible detour to Pensacola. Then grit my teeth and do the long flat ride back to So Fla.

Have been a member on K-Bikes for a while if it makes a difference.

Riding an "08 K1200S, I'll try to keep up. 

Did similar trip many years ago on my old steed, Honda V65 Sabre

20160316_193158.jpg

BIKE3~1 - Copy.jpg

• Like 3

Hope that fog doesn't affect the faceshield on the helmet.  :grin:

Welcome to the board.  Hope to see you FARTing with us.  Soon.  Real soon.  :yes:

• Haha 1
lawnchairboy
6 hours ago, BerettaRacer said:

New guy here. Retired engineer. Was thinking about being in the area early to mid Sept and ran across this forum and this group ride. If things work out, and you don't mind, I may drop in and join your group for a couple of days as I pass thru.

My general plan was to leave So Fla, drive to Orlando, load the bike onto the AutoTrain up to Lorton, Va. See friends in north Va. for a day or two, then cruise down Skyline Dr, onto Blue Ridge, probably do a couple of laps on the Dragon, then a few days in Knoxville/Chattanooga area. Possible detour to Pensacola. Then grit my teeth and do the long flat ride back to So Fla.

Have been a member on K-Bikes for a while if it makes a difference.

Riding an "08 K1200S, I'll try to keep up. 

Did similar trip many years ago on my old steed, Honda V65 Sabre

20160316_193158.jpg

BIKE3~1 - Copy.jpg

come and have a good FART!

BerettaRacer
2 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

Hope that fog doesn't affect the faceshield on the helmet.  :grin:

That's residual fog from the 70's, LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Welcome one and all - I'm out on the road, and will be back Friday. Any and all are welcome.

We will be having a Friday Night meal at the hotel, which will need to be paid for in advance. I will post details when I get home Friday, if not before. The other Bumbling BackRoad Riders (and others) may also chine in, please let us know if you have any questions.

Welcome!

• Like 2
RandyShields
On 8/17/2022 at 12:40 AM, TyTass said:

HERE ARE DA ROUTES! 

Craig, these routes look fantastic!  And thanks also for the pdf narrative descriptions.  Very helpful as well as not helpful (as in making it more difficult to choose the ride each day)!

Randy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, RandyShields said:

Craig, these routes look fantastic!  And thanks also for the pdf narrative descriptions.  Very helpful as well as not helpful (as in making it more difficult to choose the ride each day)!

Randy

You're most welcome. I wish I could be there with you all.

Perhaps this will help select ... a few recommendations since we aren't often in that area:

• FART22 E_Loop1 (243) - Crabtree & Walton's Home OR FART22 E_Loop2 (281) - Crabtree & Appomattox
  • FART22 NW_Loop (268) - Snowshoe & Greenbank NRAO
  • FART22 NE_1.1 (142) - VA & WV Valley Roads & FART22 NE_1.2 (143/285) - Lost River and Shenandoah Valley

Just sayin! It's rare we get to these areas.

• Like 1

Well Craig, when you recommend good riding roads, you really know what you are talking about.  

Looking forward to riding some of your select roads on your home turf!  :yes:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
RandyShields
3 hours ago, TyTass said:

Perhaps this will help select ... a few recommendations since we aren't often in that area:

Thanks.  Those look very good.  I am also quite interested in FART22 N Loop1 that hits US 33 and the Goshen Gap.

• Like 2
RandyShields

There is a nostalgic article about VA riding, and especially US 33, by Eric Trow in the Sept. issue of Rider.  He also mentions the various aches and pains that accompany being an older rider.  I can related.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 2
BerettaRacer

Hi,

Trying to make the arrangements to get up there, few questions.

Has anyone loaded a K bike onto the Auto Train?

Were they familiar with the tie downs thru the fwd fairing instead of conventional handlebar and telescoping fork ties on regular bikes?

Did you supply your own fork loops for them to attach their cinch straps?

And they have limits on low ground clearance.

Many years ago I loaded a conventional big bore naked bike, no issues then.

**ADMINISTRIVIA**

Fellow FARTer's - As you know, we try pretty hard to find reasonably priced accommodations for our events - and Natural Bridge checks that box, and as far as facilities, it's quite a few steps up from our usual motels. :18:

We also extend every effort to get a group meal done as inexpensively as possible - $20 or less. This FART will be an exception - we just don't have many options for a group meal apart from having it at the hotel. It will be a nice meal and the cuisine here is very good! Shawn and I had very good meals here when we checked the location out. I apologize ahead of time for the price of the meal - this is the actual cost (which includes services fees (20%) and various taxes.

Thanks for your understanding - here's the details:

814615326_mealannostartsparta2022fridaymealr2.thumb.jpg.a5805ef802889b48013e3d20b8d8b638.jpg

• Like 1
terryofperry
4 hours ago, 60Aviator said:

Money sent, just don't send me on any long rescue missions this time. :18:

Your dinner didn't go to waste, :eat:.

Terry

• Haha 2
Folkdancer48

Please count me in Dave!  I have my hotel reservations already, so the only thing left is making the Friday dinner reservations.  I will get to work on those shortly.

• Like 1

Who's PAID for Friday Dinner:

William & Laura Weldin
John & Ruth Ranalletta
Dave Taylor
Charles Borre
Randy Shields
Dan & Michelle Kitzes
Bill Murray
Dennis Barlow
R a Williams Jr    
Todd Fridman + 1    
Mike & DyAnne Barksdale
Dave Douglass

A little help with the routes download please.  What did I do wrong?  I followed the instructions.  When I recalculated the routes, as you can see in the screen shot, the routes straightened out.  It transfers the route to the Nav 6 the same way.   

Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 8.36.28 PM.png

yes.  updated it.  Actually, what I did was that I downloaded the routes first and went through the recalculation process and transferred the routes and then noticed that there were updates.  Fearing that things did not work correctly, I deleted the routes, updated everything then started all over again, and this is what occurred.  

(Going by memory) Hit the Maps in the purple header and select  City Navigator blah, blah, blah (mine was the top when in the drop-down box) and it will ask you are you sure? and click yes.   Then select the route to calculate to see if that helps.

Mine was similar, and had a bunch of straight point dead-ends branching off.   Once I selected that City Navigator 2023, something-or-other and recalculated, it was fine.

Maybe @Bernie will have a better solution when he see this.

I hope it helps.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Ron-M said:

I will give it a try tonight.  Thanks William.

William is correct. After a map update BaseCamp defaults to the baseline map. You have to select the new map data and then the routes will work. Select the newest version of CityNavigator in the drop down menu and all should be fine. 
PS, there was no need to delete and re import the routes. Also your GPS will automatically select the newest map data. 

• Like 2
On 8/26/2022 at 5:40 PM, RandyShields said:

Thanks.  Those look very good.  I am also quite interested in FART22 N Loop1 that hits US 33 and the Goshen Gap.

Goshen Gap is amazing scenery, great curvy road too when there isn't a ton of anglers, kayakers, canoers, etc. But it's so gorgeous I don't mind 30 minutes of slower pace to take in the scenery. 

FART22 is a very nice sample of roads in the area.  Indian Draft Rd 678 is one of my favs. Not a smooth road but not horrible either. But aside from fantastic scenery, it's one of those green tunnels, often it has a beautiful creek on the east side and a nice cliff face on the west side (that blocks the sun and cools it down). 

Only a few miles from Hwy-39 is Fort Lewis Lodge. a 10,000 acre family farm turned into a beautiful multi-dwelling B&B with a large central dining room serving exceptional meals family-style. Not cheap, but ridiculous either. A fantastic get away! 

• Like 4