IGNORED

Fall Appalichian Riding Tour (FART) - Sept. 14-18 Natural Bridge, VA

Indy Dave

lawnchairboy

As I plan on being in Torrey in the fall, I will not be making the FART in September.

carry on. 

• Sad 1
John Ranalletta
51 minutes ago, lawnchairboy said:

As I plan on being in Torrey in the fall, I will not be making the FART in September.

carry on. 

Who's bringing the Snuggie?

• Thinking 1
roadscholar
49 minutes ago, 9Mary7 said:

My buddy with the KaTooM is in!

Now I gotta find a fun way to get to event:90:

How long do you want it to take : )

3 hours ago, roadscholar said:

How long do you want it to take : )

Leaving Mobile, Al. on Tuesday the 13th.......... want to get in Wednesday afternoon for check in........

• Like 2
roadscholar
1 hour ago, 9Mary7 said:

Leaving Mobile, Al. on Tuesday the 13th.......... want to get in Wednesday afternoon for check in........

I assumed 2 days so drew something up for fun starting a little east of Mobile. There are plenty of options but tried to balance some fun roads with 'get there' highways and interstates while giving an overview of the southern Appalachians including some of the special roads most of us here are familiar with. I'd hightail it to Montgomery then run up the Appalachian spine on 9, 7, and 281 past Cheaha SP.

For faster time/progress you may want to veer off route and instead take I-20 to Atl then either 575 to Ellijay, Ga or 85/985 to Clayton, Ga (everyone has to experience Altanta, might as well get on with it : ). A good stopover would be Blairsville or Clayton, or for a little more upscale (and altitude), Cashiers (Highlands has become a little too trendy and spendy these days). This is where the great/semi famous roads are, leaving Clayton are Warwoman Rd, 28, 107, 281, 64, 215 (one of my favorites) and the BRP. Lots of options from there but for times sake I'd hit I-26 from Asheville to Elizabethton then Shady Valley and around Mt Rogers up to I-81 then decide if you want to get there or see more backroads. Once you arrive the route planners will have plenty of great roads to ride so you'll almost need to pace yourself on the way up to avoid overload, don't want to get curved out before arriving : ) Drew it up in My Maps (disregard any spurs except to Cashiers) but can send a gpx file too if you want.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1WNJhM-J0J63QiFXAQd8erFHDdfSSHKI&usp=sharing

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
39 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

I assumed 2 days so drew something up for fun starting a little east of Mobile. There are plenty of options but tried to balance some fun roads with 'get there' highways and interstates while giving an overview of the southern Appalachians including some of the special roads most of us here are familiar with. I'd hightail it to Montgomery then run up the Appalachian spine on 9, 7, and 281 past Cheaha SP.

For faster time/progress you may want to veer off route and instead take I-20 to Atl then either 575 to Ellijay, Ga or 85/985 to Clayton, Ga (everyone has to experience Altanta, might as well get on with it : ). A good stopover would be Blairsville or Clayton, or for a little more upscale (and altitude), Cashiers (Highlands has become a little too trendy and spendy these days). This is where the great/semi famous roads are, leaving Clayton are Warwoman Rd, 28, 107, 281, 64, 215 (one of my favorites) and the BRP. Lots of options from there but for times sake I'd hit I-26 to Elizabethton then Shady Valley and around Mt Rogers up to I-81 then decide if you want to get there or see more backroads. Once you arrive the route planners will have plenty of great roads to ride so you'll almost need to pace yourself on the way up to avoid overload, don't want to get curved out before arriving : ) Drew it up in My Maps (disregard any spurs except to Cashiers) but can send a gpx file too if you want.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1WNJhM-J0J63QiFXAQd8erFHDdfSSHKI&usp=sharing

Great advice from roadscholar, duh!  But plenty of ways to avoid the ATL and the traffic you are going to experience heading north in the afternoon.  Might hop on I20 for a bit and then cut north towards Rockmart and take the state highways to Ellijay. I suspect time will be the same with far less potential to deal with a traffic nightmare. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
roadscholar
16 minutes ago, MikeB60 said:

Great advice from roadscholar, duh!  But plenty of ways to avoid the ATL and the traffic you are going to experience heading north in the afternoon.  Might hop on I20 for a bit and then cut north towards Rockmart and take the state highways to Ellijay. I suspect time will be the same with far less potential to deal with a traffic nightmare. 

Thanks Mike, was hoping some local knowledge would chime in along the way. :thumbsup:

• Like 2
lawnchairboy
6 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

Who's bringing the Snuggie?

The snuggie is maintained in a geodesic dome guarded by ceremonial Tennessee monks of the the ancient order of the one true blue snuggie.  

at the next planetary convergence, the hermetically sealed snuggie dome will open.  After much chanting and bourbon consumption, it shall then be borne forth with much reverence.  

• Like 2
  • Smile 2

Thanks Bill & Mike for the route and notes..... great to have resources as I get used to exploring this beautiful part of our country. I'll see y'all when we get there!:wave:

I'll let you know if I need the gpx file....

• Like 4

@9Mary7 - Great, he won't be the only orange bike there!

1186576310_whosgoingjuly23r1.thumb.jpg.5d3e350fd4738b839737ba0724fb4acb.jpg

Edited by Indy Dave
added TSConver and others
John Ranalletta
17 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

@9Mary7 - Great, he won't be the only orange bike there!

909499560_whosgoingjuly23.thumb.jpg.ddfc649104e7bcdc7d4a5f0ffbe0b01e.jpg

Hoping a friend from VA Beach joins us for the first time.  When we first met he rode a Honda.  I introduced him to CA Superbike school and now he has a stable of Ducatis and a BMW.

• Like 3

Sorry Shawn.  I'll get a correction yet today when I get some time and we'll post it. Thanks

• Smile 1
4 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

Sorry Shawn. I had tried to use Google sheets, but it doesn't allow me to export the presentation as a JPEG. So today during our second Indy tech day, I quickly cut and pasted and obviously didn't get you on the list. You are on the online Google list. Nonetheless I'll get a correction yet today when I get some time and we'll post it. Thanks

No worries, just pokin ya.  :5223:

• Like 1

@brianh70 @Foot @randy @gamecock @taylor1 @Id's_OK - Thanks so much guys and gal! Brian, great to have you back again, Christopher - you're ALWAYS welcome, no matter how ART's fall between visits. :beer:  Alan - Welcome back from your Big Adventure - I know we are all looking forward to hearing about your trip! Randy - I have your Uncle joining us on Thursday - great he's coming for a return visit! Andy - I have you and Kathryn moved to Thursday; and lastly, Dave, keep those lines tight on your way up!

As of Aug. 3rd:

1868813643_whosgoingAug6.thumb.jpg.b0efdbc89a5d05c7d7682f7095f66697.jpg

Edited by Indy Dave
6 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

lines tight on your way up

Dave as long as I don't pass by any micro-breweries along the way, I should be just fine :)

• Haha 1

I'm excited for FARTing in Natural Bridge! The hotel is a nice upgrade for us, and the roads are very nice! When Mrs. Indy Dave and I made our Exit, Stage Right  after out visit to the area, I made notes about a few roads that we passed as we made our way home. Mostly, these were looking down into the valleys, where we had a birds eye view. The area also has the Natural Bridge, of course, and there are some nice hiking trails as well.

@wbw6cos @TSConver - I'lll be a little proactive here - the routes are going through final checks. For this event, the routes have been prepared by Jack Secret (hint) and he sent them my way several weeks ago.

@ERdok  - Rick! What a treat! So glad you can join us!! I look forward to hearing about Colorado.

Soon... Very soon, the routes will be posted and meal info will be announced.  

Thanks one and all - and remember - FART is brought to you by . . . .

The Ωmega Concern

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the update.    I will be in Indianapolis the week of the 22nd to help out our D/C yard.  I will have my Zumo XT with me so we can transfer the routes then.   :5188:

Dang it, I'll be traveling for work that weekend but wish I could be there. I've been mostly a lurker here but y'all will be in my backyard.  Hope everyone has a great time!

• Sad 1
5 hours ago, twistyguy said:

In!  Wed-Sun!  I’ll be making some off-road routes if anyone is interested.

wish I could bring both bikes, BMW G450x for off road and Tracer for the street.  I look forward to your routes and will save them for a later trip :-)

• Like 2

Dave,

I'm going to arrive Wed leaving Sunday - have already booked a room.

It has been some time -- but I'm Looking forward to riding with you guys -

Barry Moss

PS I'm interested in sharing a room with someone in the group ( can always cancel my reservation )

• Like 2
John Ranalletta
14 minutes ago, K12rider said:

Dave,

I'm going to arrive Wed leaving Sunday - have already booked a room.

It has been some time -- but I'm Looking forward to riding with you guys -

Barry Moss

PS I'm interested in sharing a room with someone in the group ( can always cancel my reservation )

Snoring or non-snoring?

• Haha 1

Gotcha 

Last conversation I was involved with you and Lowndes centered around a roommate. 

Looking forward to seeing that Big Beautiful Doll!

Alex's guitar tech?   Did he do the routes too?  :5146:

The band  The Ωmega Concern?   Are we going to have live music?

My best guess.

Indy Dave said:

The Chaos Mountain Brewing Company has opened their Brewing Station and Food Trailer across the street from the Natural Bridge Hotel.

UH OH.  Trouble.  BIG Trouble.  "Trouble right here in River City", as the song says.  Their Porter is EXCELLENT.  IMHO.

• Like 1

Gooner's "signature:

"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people out there having fun on motorcycles. It makes me take another look." -Steve McQueen

LIKE it.

• Like 4