IGNORED

Fall Torrey 2020

I suppose I'll be there.

I'm planning on making two hikes, to Upper and Lower Calf Creek Falls.  Maybe Friday and Saturday.  So anyone interested, look it up and be ready to go.

There shouldn't be any snow in the fall yet, usually the snow is encountered in the spring.  But it looks like  a little winter is starting to set in already, so who knows.

I went down there last Saturday and it was quite nice.  But two weeks before I went and it was not bad, but there was wind and rain and not nice wind and rain, just nasty.  Plenty of lightening.  It's always, or usually intermittent, and only in limited little areas.

Somewhat unpredictable weather.   I'm 100 miles north of Torrey, and usually the weather is quite similar. 

dc

10 hours ago, David13 said:

I suppose I'll be there.

I'm planning on making two hikes, to Upper and Lower Calf Creek Falls.  Maybe Friday and Saturday.  So anyone interested, look it up and be ready to go.

There shouldn't be any snow in the fall yet, usually the snow is encountered in the spring.  But it looks like  a little winter is starting to set in already, so who knows.

I went down there last Saturday and it was quite nice.  But two weeks before I went and it was not bad, but there was wind and rain and not nice wind and rain, just nasty.  Plenty of lightening.  It's always, or usually intermittent, and only in limited little areas.

Somewhat unpredictable weather.   I'm 100 miles north of Torrey, and usually the weather is quite similar. 

dc

How far is the hike?  I might be in.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Stir said:

The lower I believe to be flat, but some sand, and 3 miles in and thus 3 out.

The upper is a steep decline on rock in, maybe a mile and a half, and same out, but an option of going to above and the foot of the falls. 

I'm thinking one day for one and the next day for the other.  And taking a lunch to eat on both days.

Both are 50 miles south of Torrey.

dc

On 9/9/2020 at 7:45 PM, Stir said:

I did it several yrs ago when I was in my 50s.  It’s beautiful back in there, but much of the hike is soft sand. If I were to do it again, now that I’m older, I would condition my legs by walking on soft sand at the beach daily before the trip,  in the hiking footwear that I would be traveling with. Oh and if it’s warm take breaks often and bring lots of water and snacks. And a nice camera. 

The hike is rated moderate. 

From one online hiking guide:

The hike can be long and challenging at times due to deep sand. Because of the nature of the canyon, as you pass around corner after corner, you might get the “Are we there yet?”s, but fret not, the sites along the way, and the majesty of the desert-varnished Navajo sandstone cliff walls are plenty to tide you over until reaching Lower Calf Creek Falls.

• Like 1

Considering hauling wife, child,

dog and turtle down to Torrey but we waited too long to find a place in town. If anyone is thinking of canceling a reservation at the chuck wagon or elsewhere in town, please give me a heads up first. Thanks!

On 5/13/2020 at 6:46 PM, Stir said:

Hum.  Your camera makes my butt look big.  But...in.

I'm the guy in red, with the red K1200RS.

M

Let's get some pie at that place that was closed last time.  It will help with that big butt.

• Haha 1
On 8/21/2020 at 9:49 PM, chrisolson said:

Will be trailering , but only because I will have a few items to use at the pistol/rifle range that can't be carried on a bike.

Which day is range day??

23 minutes ago, Heck said:

Which day is range day??

Never been a set day ... depends on the mix of folks who show up .... and when ... I get there Thursday so Friday is a viable shooting day but we've gone on Saturday as well .  

6 hours ago, szurszewski said:

Considering hauling wife, child,

dog and turtle down to Torrey but we waited too long to find a place in town. If anyone is thinking of canceling a reservation at the chuck wagon or elsewhere in town, please give me a heads up first. Thanks!

you can have that thu as I will be arriving on Fri, so I hope you can use that one day..

On 9/11/2020 at 7:21 PM, longjohn said:

you can have that thu as I will be arriving on Fri, so I hope you can use that one day..

Thanks - I’m looking for all the days/nights, but something is more than nothing. We are in the middle of trying to buy a house in a seller’s market - but hopefully in a few days I’ll be able to see past that all the way to what we’re doing next week... maybe!

5 hours ago, stubble! said:

Well shoot, I seem to have booked a room for fall Torrey. How'd that happen?

Genuinely confused, or just showing off? ;) 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, szurszewski said:

Genuinely confused, or just showing off? ;) 

Well I had written off being able to go but the stars here at the homefront are all aligning at the last minute. Not a reference to your room search... but Motel Torrey seems to have some double queens still and they take dogs.

3 hours ago, stubble! said:

Well I had written off being able to go but the stars here at the homefront are all aligning at the last minute. Not a reference to your room search... but Motel Torrey seems to have some double queens still and they take dogs.

Thanks for the tip. I thought they did not  have any left - I’ll call today. 

edit: well, I didn’t “call” but I did book a room online. Not sure we can make it, but we’ve now got a few days to decide before we’re locked into the reservation. Hopefully we can work in out. 

• Like 1

I'm in. Newly retired and attending my first Torrey. Chuckwagon is full so I am at the Broken Spur Thurs-Sun.  I need to get out of the L. A. smoke zone. Can't wait.

On 8/30/2020 at 2:10 PM, mrduck said:

Yep, trying to back off my biz schedule and make up for missed events!

And Eddd, you’re looking good!

What day are you leaving?

27 minutes ago, mrduck said:

Thursday.......overnight in Mesquite, Friday on to Torrey......same thing on the way back.

Maybe ACH will be open by then. Hopefully. 

52 minutes ago, longjohn said:

Maybe....

The usual suspects are gathering............

Looks like Barstow is gonna get invaded, then it’s  on from there.

45 minutes ago, mrduck said:

Maybe....

The usual suspects are gathering............

Looks like Barstow is gonna get invaded, then it’s  on from there.

Dutchman?

5 hours ago, longjohn said:

I sure wouldn't count on that John. They are not expecting to get a handle on the "Bobcat" fire until late October at the earliest.

We need rain...

12 hours ago, Groanup said:

I sure wouldn't count on that John. They are not expecting to get a handle on the "Bobcat" fire until late October at the earliest.

We need rain...

Sep and oct aren’t known for their rainfall. 

I hope they can keep the fire off of mt wilson where the telescopes and transmitters are. 

On 9/16/2020 at 6:08 PM, mrduck said:

Thursday.......overnight in Mesquite, Friday on to Torrey......same thing on the way back.

I'll try to remember to ask at Torrey, but in case I forget or have waaaaaay too much bourbon, please try to fill me in there on the return route and/or hotel you guys are staying it.  I'll probably tag along or at least stopover at same spot in Mesquite.  I may not get to see you hooligans in DV this year.

• Thanks 1
Dennis Andress
1 hour ago, BrianT said:

I'll try to remember to ask at Torrey, but in case I forget or have waaaaaay too much bourbon, please try to fill me in there on the return route and/or hotel you guys are staying it.  I'll probably tag along or at least stopover at same spot in Mesquite.  I may not get to see you hooligans in DV this year.

I'm planning on leaving St. George Friday morning if you're interested in someone to ride with..

12 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

I'm planning on leaving St. George Friday morning if you're interested in someone to ride with..

Thanks for the invite.  I plan on being in Torrey by Thur night.  Gonna ride the 600  miles up in one shot from L.A. leaving at O dark thirty and getting to Torrey in time for dinner.

Edit - But I will have some Bourbon ready for you when you land in Torrey.:beer:

21 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

As long as you’re not concerned about sullying you’re sterling reputation by associating with known hooligans,

The “usual suspects” will be passing thru Friday morning, and you’re welcome to join us.......

• Like 1
Dennis Andress
19 hours ago, mrduck said:

As long as you’re not concerned about sullying you’re sterling reputation by associating with known hooligans,

The “usual suspects” will be passing thru Friday morning, and you’re welcome to join us.......

Remind me, just what is a hooligan?

i-mZWB5qN-XL.jpg

• Like 5
6 hours ago, LBump said:

Sadly, I'm out...  Have fun boys and girls!

Room available. 2 Queens

Austins Chuckwagon

435-425-3335

I'll have a glass of bourbon for you in your absence.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, LBump said:

Sadly, I'm out...  Have fun boys and girls!

Room available. 2 Queens

Austins Chuckwagon

435-425-3335

Send Sue.  No one really wanted to see you or your janky Ducati.:lurk:

• Haha 3

There was a great thread of pics from Torrey last fall. I can’t find it. I seem to recall it was not where _I_ thought it should be...probably @Whip ‘s fault. If anyone knows where it is, could you would you please post a link here?

2 hours ago, szurszewski said:

There was a great thread of pics from Torrey last fall. I can’t find it. I seem to recall it was not where _I_ thought it should be...probably @Whip ‘s fault. If anyone knows where it is, could you would you please post a link here?

This one?  Hey, there’s even a pic of you in there.  https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/topic/93881-pictures-and-tales-from-torrey-fall-2019/

It’s been so dry up here this summer and now it’s finally going to rain for a whole week!

...so we’re heading to Utah to dry out! Ha!

Look: the first time this bike has been wet since maybe April!

2D935918-4DAC-48E9-864C-22E045385049.thumb.jpeg.138242a1a02a877a204e831f641ae9d9.jpeg

• Like 1

It’s 0054 and we’re officially within an hour of our room in Torrey. Jeremiah has school stuff and a Zoom ballet class on Friday, so if anyone has a fun ride planned for not too early Friday morning and doesn’t mind company, please shoot me a pm or a text. 503-502-6283

• Like 1
5 hours ago, szurszewski said:

It’s 0054 and we’re officially within an hour of our room in Torrey. Jeremiah has school stuff and a Zoom ballet class on Friday, so if anyone has a fun ride planned for not too early Friday morning and doesn’t mind company, please shoot me a pm or a text. 503-502-6283

If you’re looking for something to do try the Hickman bridge. 1.8mi hike

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

I'm trying to get my head around "Zoom ballet"... 

This will be his first. The school just opened back up with very reduced numbers allowed per class, and the option to do zoom instead. The plan was kids would rotate between in-class and online so everyone could get class time but still keep numbers low per session, but almost no one signed up so he has been all in person. Not sure how much he’ll get out of the zooms, but it means we can be in Torrey and not miss class, so that’s a win! 

• Like 2