IGNORED

Show us your GS

roadscholar

I bought a seat off of a 2016 GSA from someone on ADV. It looked like new. I had sat on a low GSA at the dealer and almost bought that bike. I decided I did not need the big tank and racks for the alum boxes and two black low GS's then came in and I bought one of them.

It is funny to me that the stock low seat makes it harder to touchdown than the taller GSA seat for me. The shape and width in front seems to be the difference. Now, all said, the GSA seat does feel like there is a forward slope to it. I have not tried it yet with the GSA seat in the high position in front.

Seat looks like a Saddlemen Adventure Tour. Adventure Designs sells them near me. Not sure they have a WC in stock to try. I'll ask when I go there tomorrow.

http://www.saddlemen.com/adventure-tour-seat-2-pc-2-up-r-series-bmw?search=

The GSA seat is so-so. I have only ridden it for 100 miles at a time so far. Not sure it is a 200+ mile seat yet. It has a little frontal slope. Here is the GSA seat on my GS.

IMG_4161%20Custom_zpsphojyknu.jpg

If they end up not working out for you, Sargent does a pretty good job for a one size fits all seat. :thumbsup:

ws_620_se_red_500.jpg

My black - grey - with blue welts.

IMG_3819.jpg

Yup, I know what your thinking, where's the Bumot bags? :dopeslap::grin:

Pat

I have had Sergeant seats on several bikes. I liked the ones I put on my DR 650 and my WR 250. I had a Tourtech on my 800 GS. It was much better than the stock seat also.

I usually order the sergeant seats custom without the piping. I like the smoother transition for sliding around especially on the dirt bikes.

Drive on out to Callie and let me give it a try. :grin:

Drive on out to Callie and let me give it a try. :grin:

Ride to the west coast? Now don't be silly, that's Marty Hill territory! :grin:

I'm still thinking Colorado this July though. If I can convince a buddy of mine that he needs to ride Colorado before he hangs up his helmet, I may truck the GS out along with his Tiger and do some road touring. I'd like to see the Grand Canyon again with maybe a little Utah tossed in the mix. Would also incorporate some dirt along the way but a little less intense than last year. ;)

Pat

• Like 1

I would love to trailer the big dog out to CO and Utah for some roading. But I don't think I will be taking the 1200 in much dirt. Maybe some smooth dirt roads only. NO ROCKS :dopeslap: And my trailer is not wide enough to fit the 1200 and the KTM in it. Bummer. :(

This picture is from October when I bought the bike. I have several accessories on it now including all three BMW cases. I haven't had a chance to take a picture of it with the accessories yet.

30324583200_d40504bda8_c.jpg4P8A0074 by bej1150, on Flickr

Edited by Burt
Burt, how do you like the shield? I am thinking of adding the slightly larger GSA shield to my GS.

I like the windshield. That along with the plastic deflectors in front of the tank give pretty good wind protection. I wouldn't say it's as good as an RT, but it isn't too far off.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

I could be wrong but if you ask me that's the shit-eating grin of a proud new owner.  :grin:

Can't help it, whenever I happen near one the shit-eating grin springs automatically. :dontknow: No not yet, I really am just a Poser in that picture! :grin:

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
12 hours ago, TEWKS said:

^ That's a true love of motorcycling when you ride while still recovering from a rib injury! :clap:

It's only been seven weeks but x-rays show the ribs have healed.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Yeah technically healed up but still pretty dangerous to sneeze, I bet! :eek:

That was only a problem for about the first 3-4 weeks.

• Like 1
The Fabricator
On 7/2/2020 at 11:52 AM, mickeym3 said:

What?  No cowcatcher?

Not needed.  Cows behind fences here. And I stay on roads.

Would consider deer frightener.  They jump fences.a2.jpg.fe98496ef37559511a2f519425eaba80.jpg

• Haha 1

Is that really your GS? I may have (um accidentally) made an ugly joke about it. :dontknow: Sorry. :) I do admire the skill it’d take to craft that all together. :thumbsup: 

RandyShields
On 7/2/2020 at 1:58 PM, The Fabricator said:

Since you asked for a picture of my GS....

Not trying to be snarky, but curious about why you put all that on your motorcycle?

The Fabricator
15 hours ago, RandyShields said:

Not trying to be snarky, but curious about why you put all that on your motorcycle?

No idea why the 'strike outs'.

The bike is the equivalent of a truck.

The front fairing is hollow. I can get gallon jug size items through the access

door.  The wife and I go Adventure Camping.  I store a tent, all clothes [including rain gear], tools, maps, spare tube, 

tire inflater, water jugs, etc, in the front. It has more capacity than the saddle bags.

In one bag goes the 'food pantry', in the other goes [another]gallon jug of water, stove, hygiene supplies.  We can dry camp for 3 days in one spot before running out of water [cooking, drinking, bathing.  We shower under a quart canteen daily, if it is hot].

There are 2 electrical out lets, one for me, one for the passenger, for heated clothes.  For camping, I run a wire to a 

small light that is mounted on a 4' pole, which is mounted the rack, to illuminate the campsite.

I replaced the alternator with a 90amp Denso unit from a Dodge Caravan, to power 2 heated suits, grips, 2 head lights, etc.  Bosch unit was insufficient.

i.jpg.e4098f91d7c250e0368eb0deb5c4d880.jpg      g.jpg.b44f367541e2c84db6b7aa05116508d7.jpg   

X5.jpg.b07cc070b9ad255c18007e6f2e86fefd.jpg 

Loading front and rear balances the bike which goes a LONG way towards handling with a 1000lb burden [me, wife, supplies, bike].

At home, daily errand runs are almost as convenient as using a pick up truck.  

For one day pleasure trips, I just leave extra sweaters, caps, gloves, etc. in the fairing for all possible contingents.

Pre-fairing days, I have lost too much crap off the back with elastic straps,  stuffed things up my coat, etc.

The fairing adds about 40lbs, not counting all the stuff inside.

The fuel tank holds 9.5 gallons.  In the West, there are wide open spaces.  We can stay on back roads and avoid towns.  Also, the shape of the tank accommodates more fairing storage capacity and helps keep the fairing narrow.

The larger tank capacity means the seat needed to be shorter, so I fabricated a seat.  I also lowered the seat.  The passenger seat no longer fit.  I fabricated a seat for her.  She 'designed' the padding.

The rear fender was a joke.  I didn't like the rear of the bike covered with road silt wicked up from the wet asphalt.  I fabricated the mother of all fenders.

Ditto the front fender flap.  Why have a front fender so short that the tire can spray the front of the engine?

The over-sized hand wind deflectors keep wind and rain off my hands.

Over all, the front fairing provides supreme wind protection.  There is a very calm envelope behind it.

The foot rests were too high and back.  My knees didn't like more than an hour.  I moved the rests down and forward.

Gear shifts were not smooth.  I altered the shift lever ratio, meaning the shift lever tip now moves about 1/2 inch verses 1 inch formerly.  Now I just sort of twitch my foot for gear changes.  

I kept my old R100/7 BMW for 35 years [it had the same set up].

1071006079_zsmall1.jpg.0658056c16face630333a77ecb22d94f.jpg 613311124_zsmall3.JPG.1bebd6b2b75de061b6c81095f45296b3.JPG

I intend to keep this one .......'til death do us part [I'm 70], so I changed a few things to suit me.

Edited by The Fabricator
trying to correct strike outs
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is not my TB GS but, searching the web for what else, “bikes” :classic_biggrin: I came across this striking image of one. :thumbsup:

508A9206-scaled.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Kilrush R1150RT

OK so I just picked up this 2004 F650 GS today. Someone seems to have painted it black. Any recommendations for a new paint job or should I just leave it as is?

Any other tips for me?

What are the differences between the F650 GS and the Dakar version? Don't think this is the Dakar.

Thanks

20221130_100028.jpg

If the original color was yellow like the center tank and side panels a lot of body shops or paint stores can scan and duplicate the color. Or just use the original color code but it may have faded some by now so might not be a match. Can't be sure if it's a Dakar but if originally yellow it wouldn't have been.

Edit, looks like a 19” front wheel too, Dakar had a 21”.

• Like 1

Only you can make the decision to paint it or leave it as is, can you live with it the way it is or does it bother you enough to make the effort and expense to change it? All decisions are economic! 

• Like 1

If you’re looking to get it back to a semi original appearance, she’s gonna need a beak job. Somebody trimmed that one. Nice lightweight do everything bike! :thumbsup:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg.a2d164716aa2596a9141154d1807d939.jpeg

• Like 1
Kilrush R1150RT
8 hours ago, TEWKS said:

If you’re looking to get it back to a semi original appearance, she’s gonna need a beak job. Somebody trimmed that one. Nice lightweight do everything bike! :thumbsup:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg.a2d164716aa2596a9141154d1807d939.jpeg

I thought I was missing the beak. Any idea where I can get one and what it is called?

Kilrush R1150RT
12 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Looks like they just call it a mud guard. Looking at MAX BMW parts, it says NA. :dontknow:

Might have to search for a parts bike. 

https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51602&rnd=09082020

edit…Maybe here $$$

edit # 2 Oh so close!

Thanks Tewks. It helps a lot having the photos and links! Expensive though. She may have to go noseless for a bit.....

• Like 1