IGNORED

Show us your GS

roadscholar

That is a great looking bike, have a soft spot for 1150's (down to four). A mandarin Adventure and tastefully done.

When the K1200RS's came out Jim France (of NASCAR) special ordered a mandarin/graphite w/checkerboard paint scheme and later BMW made a small run in those colors, nice looking IMO.

001.jpg

Edited by roadscholar
  • Thinking 1
Its Little Bro... :thumbsup: Ok, One Two or Three? :grin:

00Y0Y_7Hkvpx5ZGPv_600x450.jpg

CL Pic

Pat

One ping only Vasily. :)

Forgot about old faithful, 10 years still runnin strong.

022-XL.jpg

In keeping with the Big Bird theme going on. :grin: Here is my first R12GS. She was a short timer but once bitten, I think you're in. I found my way back. :thumbsup:

fea924a4-565c-46b0-aa1f-7cc185a4772b_zpstkgeunww.jpg

Pat

welcome again to the dirty side

Hey Ray :wave: not sure if you saw it but early on in the thread I posted one of you on the way up Independence. Cool pic! :thumbsup:

Pictureday4210.jpg

Pat

• 4 weeks later...
Probably the wrong thread because it's not mine. But man, it sure is sweet! :thumbsup:

image.jpg2_zpspgcvhovx.jpg[/url]

Pat

That is one beautiful looking bike with almost unlimited capabilities.

Pat - If you sit on it to long it will probably follow you home. :grin:

Edited by Endobobdds

Bob, I'm almost sure Bill could find me a place where its or at least my capabilities would be tested to the limits. :grin:

Yes, I didn't hang around too long just for that reason. I'd end up rolling in the driveway looking like :dontknow:

Pat

That is a great looking bike Pat, just please don't take it down this road. :eek:

BMW%20RA%20148-XL.jpg

BMW%20RA%20156-XL.jpg

Edited by roadscholar

This reminds me of the now state bike park near me, Carnegie. When I rode there a lot of years ago in my yute, we got clogged up many times like that when it rained. Full power to go down hill. Problem was 100 years ago it was a small town devoted to making lots of brick for CA. Super clay soil. But two days after the rain, awesome and super traction. In summer the place is hard as rock.

Yeah in certain parts of Alabama and Georgia roads are made of it. Also parts of NM, Colorado and Utah, at least there I've seen some signs that say 'Impassable When Wet'. Heed it, they aren't kidding. :grin:

BMW%20RA%20186-XL.jpg

Edited by roadscholar
  • Like 1

So true Bob, that was some buddies taking "backroads" to Barber in Birmingham. I think I'm glad I didn't go on that one : )

I'm sure you remember a certain UN route out in Colorado that caught a few of us by surprise. (not as bad but still, a sticky tire situation)

Pat

Why yes I do, in fact I remember taking a soil sample for the team. :grin:

Don't have any pics of the crime but it was probably a few miles on the other side of that rainbow (where as you can see it's raining) and had I been paying closer attention, wouldn't have turned up that damn road. :dopeslap:

225.jpg

I'm sure you remember a certain UN route out in Colorado that caught a few of us by surprise. (not as bad but still, a sticky tire situation)

Pat

Why yes I do, in fact I remember taking a soil sample for the team. :grin:

The tumble was appreciated because up until that point we were moving at a pretty good clip. Most (me anyway) not realizing how quickly it became so slick.

UNrally2012529.jpg

Pat

The scene of the crime.

UN2012%20220-XL.jpg

It was a bit sticky.

UN2012%20223-XL.jpg

UN2012%20221-XL.jpg

Edited by lawnchairboy

Too fast for conditions. :)

I doubt we'd have made it much further w/o incident in that goop so it's probably a good thing I crashed when I did..

Sad story.

Waaaaay back on September 1st I was taking the GS out for a little ride and had an "incident" with an entirely avoidable road hazard. It was a real brain fart on my part and resulted in this:

BentFront.jpg

SplitFront.jpg

BentRear.jpg

This happened one week before I was to leave on a 10 day road trip. Needless to say the front was not repairable and the rear was going to take a bit of work. BMW North America was backordered on replacement cast or spoked rims, none were available used and Woody's Wheel Works in Denver was backordered on both hubs and rims.

In other words my season was done. I did get out for some fun with the KLX, but my big trip of the year was in the garbage.

Had to console myself (and Linda) with a trip to Ireland in October.

Well, many dollars and 2 months later the GS is back together and ready for next year:

PB094741.jpg

I like the TKC80s so far. Next time I break a bike it's going to be a rental. Like in Africa again September 2017 :grin:

Mike Cassidy

Quit screwing around and just buy the damn thing :thumbsup:

Doug, I appreciate the encouragement! :grin::thumbsup:

The only thing holding me back is having to say goodbye to my RT. She's a fine motor-sickle! :thumbsup:

Oh yeah, heard a refresh is coming for the 18 ADV, same as the regular GS this year. :thumbsup: I know, I could chase that mythical beast for a lifetime. :read:

Pat

Mike, good job keeping it upright with that amount of wheel damage. :eek:

I guess there was that ;) Then there was getting the sucker home on two flat tires :mad:

BTW Pat, Doug's right.

Mike Cassidy

Pat, that triple-black GSA has your name written all over it. In fact, if you enlarge the photo, you can see it on the frame. :grin:

I replaced my RT with a GSA exactly one year ago. I think it's fair to say that the GSA can do everything the RT could, and then some, though I'd also say the RT perhaps did it a little more quietly.

Edited by marcopolo

Thanks guys! Mark I've been paying particular attention to your thoughts on the subject knowing how many RT miles you have under your belt. :thumbsup:

Pat

Traded an RT for this in 2002, I'm thinking it changed my life a little.

NE%20corner%2C%20expanded%20tagorama%20002-XL.jpg

That new one is gorgeous Pat. Do it, Do it : )

Edited by roadscholar
  • Like 1

Your purchase may have been instrumental in changing a few lives. ;):thumbsup:

Pat

Your purchase may have been instrumental in changing a few lives. ;):thumbsup:

Pat

Maybe. I'm hoping for the better : )

and where is that follow up picture with you in the body cast holding onto the IV pole?

Oh yeah.....the neat thing about the internet.....nothing goes away :rofl:

image_zpsf3401745.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Keith, I had almost completely forgotten about that chapter in the book. :ohboy: At least the look on my face tells me I wasn't feeling much at that moment. :grin:

Pat

Now, if the above pic is really "Airtime Pat" and not some photoshopped pic of some superstar, I'm out. :P I'm supposed to meet next year in CO and do a ride. I know "I can't hang". My avatar pic is the most air I have gotten and that was in about 1992. I got a nose bleed for days. :rofl:

I was approximately 150' above sea level in that pic. :revit::whistle:

IIRC which actually a lot of that day went in the dumpster, that was on a big tabletop jump. I was probably twenty feet off the ground but only ten off the top of the jump.

You saw Bill on Blackbear, he's the guy to chase! ;)

Pat

• 2 months later...
Finally got the new GS home

IMG_4149%20Custom_zpsrqwdvjei.jpg

IMG_4146%20Custom_zpswpbop1al.jpg

What's not to like! :wave:

When my wife starts talking about how many bikes I've owned or how often I get a different one, I tell her you are my hero!!!! :rofl:

I decided that the back of the bike needed a little bling besides the "Billie" LED tail light. :grin:

IMG_4154%20Custom_zpsjzjt7ono.jpg

Actually this may be the perfect bike for me. The first 100 miles was great. Since it is the low version I can flat foot at a stop. The taller GSA seat I bought is more comfy than what came with it and is easier to touchdown as it is narrower up front than the stock low seat, while giving me a little more leg room. The "Darla" lights the dealer installed really show up the front and I installed the "Billie" tail light yesterday and it is also BRIGHT . It also may get an old guy in trouble. I have never been a corner carver but this scoot might get an old timer in trouble. :dopeslap: It is the first bike I have had, and I have had a bunch, that in a corner it says "Flop me over some more dude, I can take it" :thumbsup: It really feels planted and confidence inspiring. It is certainly a lot different than the 2012 I had. :Cool: