IGNORED

UnRally V -- The Return to Gunnison: Lodging announcment

Tasker

Just did the electronic reservation at the KOA (guess I'm an "outie"). Looking forward to some good stories around the campfire

i kNEW yOU couldn't stay away, bubba.!!

It'll be a hoot with you n Jeffrey there -- oh brother, I better buy some schnapp's grin.gifthumbsup.gif

Just did the electronic reservation at the KOA (guess I'm an "outie"). Looking forward to some good stories around the campfire, that is, if there isn't another drought and they allow campfires! wink.gif

According to the National Weather Service's latest prognostications you'll probably be allowed to have a campfire in Gunnison this summer. Check this link on snowpack and runoff predictions for Gunnison, CO area. This could also mean some of the higher passes will be wet, snowy and muddy. I can hardly wait to try out my "new" GS up there!!!

Doug

Edited by DouglasR

Are your MO friends riding their bikes to Gunny? I'm thinking about going and it would be great to have someone else to ride with.

Bud,

My cousin and I are the MO folks that robdogg was talking about. Cool that you would want to join us on the ride out, but, oh hell I'll admit it, I'm a closet trailer queen these days, a sissyMary if you will. I'll ride anywhere, but from here the whole trip is crossing Kansas and dam it I've crossed Kansas over twenty times on a motorcycle and it's never been fun. I've found that if I can skip the Kansas part of the ride that I enjoy the rest of the trip more. No final plans yet though cause if my friend outside of Colorado Springs moves then I'll loose my trailer parkin place and I'd be FORCED to ride.

Bud, you say you're "thinking about going", if you haven't been to an UnRally before then you don't know what you are missing. By all means go if you can, you won't regret it (even if you have to RIDE across Kansas).

Hope to see ya there,

Mike

For you Missouri guys: For this year this is my tentative plan to ride from Maryland to Gunnison: Start Saturday pm to about Columbus OH. Sunday: St. Louis-Kansas City probably via rt. 100 and rt. 50. Nice roads. Spend the night in Emporia KS? Monday to Gunnison via rt.50/rt.150/rt.56/rt.156 to Garden City and then rt.50 via Pueblo CO to Gunnison. I've done this route before and it is much less boring than I70! Two-lanes, no traffic, no blue lights outside the one stop-sign towns. Long days, but doable.

Are your MO friends riding their bikes to Gunny? I'm thinking about going and it would be great to have someone else to ride with.

Bud,

My cousin and I are the MO folks that robdogg was talking about. Cool that you would want to join us on the ride out, but, oh hell I'll admit it, I'm a closet trailer queen these days, a sissyMary if you will. I'll ride anywhere, but from here the whole trip is crossing Kansas and dam it I've crossed Kansas over twenty times on a motorcycle and it's never been fun. I've found that if I can skip the Kansas part of the ride that I enjoy the rest of the trip more. No final plans yet though cause if my friend outside of Colorado Springs moves then I'll loose my trailer parkin place and I'd be FORCED to ride.

Bud, you say you're "thinking about going", if you haven't been to an UnRally before then you don't know what you are missing. By all means go if you can, you won't regret it (even if you have to RIDE across Kansas).

Hope to see ya there,

Mike

Mike,

I know what you mean about KS. I grew up in the Denver area and have lived in S. IL since 64. Made that trip many times.

Could also trailer the bike. My wife has no interest in the rally but our grandkids live in Denver area now and she never misses a chance to see them.

Thanks for the encouragement.

For you Missouri guys: For this year this is my tentative plan to ride from Maryland to Gunnison: Start Saturday pm to about Columbus OH. Sunday: St. Louis-Kansas City probably via rt. 100 and rt. 50. Nice roads. Spend the night in Emporia KS? Monday to Gunnison via rt.50/rt.150/rt.56/rt.156 to Garden City and then rt.50 via Pueblo CO to Gunnison. I've done this route before and it is much less boring than I70! Two-lanes, no traffic, no blue lights outside the one stop-sign towns. Long days, but doable.

How many miles/hours on the last day?

My wife has no interest in the rally
Well then she'll love this one, because it's an UNRally!

We're faced with the same quandary as everyone else, how to get across KS without (again) going crazy doing so. But you can bet we will!

My wife has no interest in the rally
Well then she'll love this one, because it's an UNRally!

We're faced with the same quandary as everyone else, how to get across KS without (again) going crazy doing so. But you can bet we will!

In fact, she has no interest in motorcycles at all. But she doesn't mind if I ride as long as my life insurance is paid up. clap.gifclap.gif

No final plans yet though cause if my friend outside of Colorado Springs moves then I'll loose my trailer parkin place and I'd be FORCED to ride.

We can find you a place to park your trailer somewhere out here, man. My folks live in Cheyenne, WY, a buddy lives in Casper, WY, another buddy lives in Laramie, WY, my sister lives in Elizabeth, CO (SE of Hell, um I mean Denver).

If you want to trailer to Lander, WY , park at my house and ride with us you're welcome to that too! We're leaving here Saturday AM the 17th and riding to Moab, UT, stay a day sightseeing at Arches and Canyonlands, then to Mesa Verde, on to stay at Durango, CO, then ride to Gunnison via Silverton, Ouray etc. Tuesday. I can hardly wait!

I'm serious, we can find a safe easy spot for your trailer if you need it. There's a good dealership in Colorado Springs that would probably let you park it there if you bought a tee shirt or something. There's ways around this Kansas thing, ya know. tongue.gifgrin.gif

Doug

We can find you a place to park your trailer somewhere out here, man. My folks live in Cheyenne, WY, a buddy lives in Casper, WY, another buddy lives in Laramie, WY, my sister lives in Elizabeth, CO (SE of Hell, um I mean Denver).

If you want to trailer to Lander, WY , park at my house and ride with us you're welcome to that too!

I'm serious, we can find a safe easy spot for your trailer if you need it. There's a good dealership in Colorado Springs that would probably let you park it there if you bought a tee shirt or something. There's ways around this Kansas thing, ya know. tongue.gifgrin.gif

Doug

Doug,

Don't think I will actually need a fall-back trailer parking plan because I don't think my friend and his wife actually COULD leave Colorado. Financial concerns are what prompted his moving comment but I believe they'll find a better solution to the problem then moving from the state they love so much.

I know I went off on a rant about crossing Kansas, but in my case it's 700 miles to Chuck's house, too short to make into a two day ride, but not fun to always have as the first and last day of a trip.

Wyoming huh? That brings back fond memories. We used to own a ranch outside of Centennial, its possible that your friend in Laramie might have heard of it, I understand it used to be kind of famous in that area. Apparently it's a fraction of its former self now because the corporation that bought it has been piecing it out. Ask him if he's ever heard of the 91 ranch.

Looking over your plans, seems you have a REALLY nice trip in the works! If I get any more excited about this trip I may have to add a few days to it.

Thanks for the trailer parking offers, I hadn't thought of it before but Chuck worked at the Colorado Springs BMW place and knows them pretty well, I bet I could arrange something with them if I needed to.

Mike

So far, based on a rough running count through this thread, we are standing at approximately 60 UnAttendees. In some cases, I couldn't tell if guests would be coming along, so this is not an accurate count, but it's fairly close.

Look for the official registration process to open in a few weeks!

And yes, I did count the campers (well, except for Killer)! teeth.gif

Thanks, everyone!

DavidEBSmith

Shouldn't that be the offical Un-registration process? Or the Un-official registration process? How can there be an offical process for an Un-event? teeth.gif (Hey, new emoticon!)

...Gunnison, Colorado is not located in a "dry" county! ... approximately 60 UnAttendees.

Thanks Tasker

Make that 61. I'll be at the KOA.

Oh and 'Jack' will be along as well cool.gif

IMG_0994.jpg

Regards,

Mike O

Oh and 'Jack' will be along as well cool.gif

IMG_0994.jpg

I will not play with Jack

We said "in" last Fall; we'll say it again here for the count - two people, one bike. We also made our reservations last Fall, soon after Paul Mihalka. smile.gif

Paul Mihalka

For somebody as cheap as I am but does not want to sleep on the ground, this is what I found: Island Acres Motel. Simple, one row of rooms, park in front of the room. Half mile west of Gunnison on Rt. 50. Should be close to the KOA. $49.- a night for one person. All I need is a bed and indoor plumbing.

PhillyFlash

Hey, Mike,

Will you and Jack be going to Paonia in July this year? It's kind of becoming a tradition. Can't wait to see what kind of party tricks fenno comes up with this year. Last year's was a doozie. grin.gif

Kermit_Karl

Has anyone heard from the campground lately? I tried to register for a campsite via their web site almost a month ago and haven't heard back from them. I understand this is the off season and they're probably closed, but you'd think they would check their email at least every week or two...

Lone_RT_rider

Call them, they usually call back in a couple of days. It's their down season and they are technically closed. You will get a better response out of a phone call.

Shawn

Call them, they usually call back in a couple of days. It's their down season and they are technically closed. You will get a better response out of a phone call.

Ditto that, at least for another month or so.

Hey, Mike,

Will you and Jack be going to Paonia in July this year? It's kind of becoming a tradition. Can't wait to see what kind of party tricks fenno comes up with this year. Last year's was a doozie. grin.gif

Howard,

Oh, yea. I'll be there. I might even spring for a real Kermit chair this year. Paonia is a blast...

Remember these socks?

IMG_0988.jpg

And this was just Saturday nite...! grin.gif

IMG_0996.jpg

Regards,

Mike O

Yeeha! Stephen
Hey, Mike,

Will you and Jack (and Yeeha! Stephen) be going to Paonia in July this year? It's kind of becoming a tradition. Can't wait to see what kind of party tricks fenno comes up with this year. Last year's was a doozie. grin.gif

Sure is tempting! I had some "baggage" with me last year. Wonder who I could drag up there this year? teeth.gif

The guys that went with me last time were hitting on the Local Chicks... especially that Barely Legal blonde that was soooooooo drunk. blush.gif

OOPs... I wasn't supposed to give away the Hedonistic Fire Dancing party with Live Music was I?

PhillyFlash
Hey, Mike,

Will you and Jack (and Yeeha! Stephen) be going to Paonia in July this year? It's kind of becoming a tradition. Can't wait to see what kind of party tricks fenno comes up with this year. Last year's was a doozie. grin.gif

Sure is tempting! I had some "baggage" with me last year. Wonder who I could drag up there this year? teeth.gif

The guys that went with me last time were hitting on the Local Chicks... especially that Barely Legal blonde that was soooooooo drunk. blush.gif

OOPs... I wasn't supposed to give away the Hedonistic Fire Dancing party with Live Music was I?

Uh, just to let you know, that Barely Legal drunk blonde? Well, she wasn't barely legal, or legal at all, but she sure was drunk.

Yeeha! Stephen

What!!!! eek.gif They weren't checking IDs at the door?!!!!!

Weeeell... I don't want any part in those Shenanigans!

In the spirit of "taking one for the team," I will substitute for Stephen in any "shenanigans" in which he does not wish to participate. thumbsup.gifgrin.gifthumbsup.gif

Yeeha! Stephen
In the spirit of "taking one for the team," I will substitute for Stephen in any "shenanigans" in which he does not wish to participate. thumbsup.gifgrin.gifthumbsup.gif

Not to overwhelm you or anything, Mr Trinity, but I AM thinking of doing Paonia again this year. I know I said I was skipping it, but Howard did say it was becoming a tradition... crazy.gif

Is it too soon after Gunny for you to think about returning? We could do it in a long weekend teeth.gif

Now that you've got that Big Ole Honkin' GS tank, we could leave Wednesday & be back Monday. thumbsup.gif

Yeeha! Stephen

I just had a sick thought. eek.gif

We could ride up for Gunny, store the bikes there for 2 1/2 weeks & fly home (or rent a big car & we could all drive home... straight through with a co-driver) Then fly back up, do Paonia, and then home after TOR! thumbsup.gif

There's bound to be an RT.com-er or two that lives in the area & would let us park the bikes for a couple of weeks. Say maybe around Colo Spgs or Denver?

Makes you wanna say Hmmmmmm... tongue.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Count Susan and I in! We had fun in Cody and look forward to unrallying again. Keep up the great work planning. The rides in the area are awesome. I have not gotten to ride most of them since 86.

I am most likely in for this as I am new to the BMW world and think this is a good way to indoctri...I mean introduced to some good sillines. I am leaning towards the KOA. Should I really expect to get any sleep there though???? smile.gif

Hmm, Gunnison you say ??

I think I might want to work that in to a well deserved vacation. At least 2 weeks.

I haven't taken a vacation in 5 years just a day off here and there. I did take a two days to do Torrey last year.

I'll have to start the negotiation process with the powers at be, WW ( the wife & work )

I'm thinking about riding up or back down through Oregon for a week or so plus a week for Gunnison

I really need about 3 weeks to regain my sanity crazy.gif

I just tried the online reservation system for Holiday Inn Express and for Gunnison it said "no accomodation". Anybody know if it's full? I saw the phone numbers in Tasker's original post, but they're closed for the evening, if his dates for when they're just doing phone reservations are stil valid.

I just tried the online reservation system for Holiday Inn Express and for Gunnison it said "no accomodation". Anybody know if it's full? I saw the phone numbers in Tasker's original post, but they're closed for the evening, if his dates for when they're just doing phone reservations are stil valid.

From the original post:

Since the hotel is not yet open for business, they are not yet connected to the national reservation system.

From the original post:

Since the hotel is not yet open for business, they are not yet connected to the national reservation system.

Yup, saw that, but since they were closed for the evening (it is 2 hrs time diff from Eastern time isn't it?) I tried the online system and was surprised to find Gunnison listed. I just wanted to know whether the online reply was correct.

I just had a sick thought. eek.gif

We could ride up for Gunny, store the bikes there for 2 1/2 weeks & fly home (or rent a big car & we could all drive home... straight through with a co-driver) Then fly back up, do Paonia, and then home after TOR! thumbsup.gif

There's bound to be an RT.com-er or two that lives in the area & would let us park the bikes for a couple of weeks. Say maybe around Colo Spgs or Denver?

Makes you wanna say Hmmmmmm... tongue.gif

It'd be cheaper to just stay here and tour the rest of Northern Colorado, Utah and Wyoming, then attend TOR and THEN go home!

Yeah right, just try to get approval from W&W for that.... tongue.gif

It looks like I will have a room available in Gunnison for the UnRally dates.

We had originally pulled together a group of six riders for our trip from Lander, Wyoming to the UnRally via Moab, UT, Durango, CO and Gunnison. I have reserved two rooms in each town for the nights of our trip, but it turns out three of my buddies (including my Son bncry.gif) are really just posers and won't be making the trip.....

We only need one room now in each town, so I'll be cancelling a room for two nights (June 17 & 18) in Moab, one room for one night (19th) in Durango, and one room for two nights (20th and 21st) in Gunnison. I thought I'd offer them up to Board members before I call and cancel. PM or post here and I'll get back with you if you're interested.

The room in Gunnison is at the Wildwood Resort. It's a large room with two queen beds and a full kitchen with fridge, stove, etc. and plenty of space for bedrolls. I've stayed here before and the rooms are nice and well-kept. I believe the rate is $79 + tax per night. The Wildwood is located here:

62233840-M.jpg

The KOA is here, I think:

62233839-M.jpg

Nothing in Gunnison is very far from anything else, but Wildwood is within easy walking distance of the coffee shops, restuarants and brew pubs of downtown. The new Holiday Inn HQ is clear on the other end of Tomichi, I think.

Cheers, lemme know if you're interested! I can't wait to see you there!

Doug

Edited by DouglasR
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm starting to consider this...

I was planning on taking a solo trip late May / early June, maybe I will tie in with this... At least it is a solid destination... I was just planning to meander northwest from Fort Worth.

Need to read through all the posts now...

It would be nice to share a room, else maybe KOA...

Eric

jUST hEAD tO the KOA, Eric...it's gonna be a hoot and you'll never sleep so well.!! Just stay away from Yeeha's tent.!! grin.gif

Ok, this may be premature but pencil me in. I'll probably be tenting it.

Now that my leg is healed and re-built enough after the 2003 MOA rally I am healing the bike (It got a later start at healing than I did but it's healing much faster). I still need to get the state to look at the bike and agree that she's road worthy. Also, like Mr. Belair, I need to get the time off from work.

All that said, I am looking forward to seeing some of the friends I made at the 2001 MOA Rally in Redmond, and at the First Un Rally. They can't all have given up their RT for a GS can they?

Is there anyone else in MN plannung to go who would like to ride out together?

Calvin  (no socks)

In at the KOA, don't know if I'm an "innie" or an "outtie". dopeslap.gif

I plan to bring a friend on a cruiser from Texas....

Is there anyone else in MN plannung to go who would like to ride out together?

Hey Don, I like your avatar!

I'm going. I'm committed to joining Jeff and Barb on the way out there, and my route back will be punctuated by a 2 day stop in Elizabeth, CO. But let's keep tabs on the timing - maybe one day or another I could join up with you.

OK, I've got a reservation at the HI. Bottom floor. Easy access. All I need is the time off. Don't know yet if I'll get that, but if I do, then I'll need a roommate. I'll cross that bridge later. Right now, I'm praying for the generosity and benevolence of my employer.

I got the time off!! WooHooo! As for the roommate, I tentatively have one. A very special guest. A mysterious person from deep in this website's past.

Now if he can just get the time off from running his BMW dealership in Marin, he'll make it. TBA.

Paul Mihalka
OK, I've got a reservation at the HI. Bottom floor. Easy access. All I need is the time off. Don't know yet if I'll get that, but if I do, then I'll need a roommate. I'll cross that bridge later. Right now, I'm praying for the generosity and benevolence of my employer.

I got the time off!! WooHooo! As for the roommate, I tentatively have one. A very special guest. A mysterious person from deep in this website's past.

Now if he can just get the time off from running his BMW dealership in Marin, he'll make it. TBA.

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif For both of you!