IGNORED

Fall Appalachian Riding Tour (FART) 2013

Kinsley

I'm really frustrated but am out. govt service will not allow my absence for this time period. I cannot retire soon enough. have fun all .

Sadly, I am too.

Too much work and too many events colliding in the same weekend.

You kids have fun and be safe.

OK, that does it! I'm taking you guys off my Christmas list. Oh wait ... I see you weren't on my Christmas list.

OK, that does it! I'm taking you guys off my Christmas list. Oh wait ... I see you weren't on my Christmas list.

Therein lies the problem...

:rofl:

Well, I'm out again. I won't be able to make it. I haven't attended an event in a long time, and was looking forward to it. It's just not going to work out this time. I just cancelled my room reservation, so there is one available if anyone needs a room.

Really sorry to hear that, Chris. Since I have missed most of the BMWST events that followed "HelenBack" in 2012 (and I assume you were able to make some of those), I was looking forward to seeing you this time around.

Hope you will be able to make this one up later in the riding season!

All of those that can't make it to Highlands will be missed, but put it in your calendar now....we'll be having our Spring gathering on the last weekend of April (24th-27th) in a new location for BMWST.com....details to come in October :clap:

All of those that can't make it to Highlands will be missed, but put it in your calendar now....we'll be having our Spring gathering on the last weekend of April (24th-27th) in a new location for BMWST.com....details to come in October :clap:

IN :thumbsup:

I'm IN for all of them! (Imagine that, eh Ken?)

I'm IN for all of them! (Imagine that, eh Ken?)

+1 :thumbsup:

Got a couple days. Will be in Maggie valley area prolly late Sunday and Monday only if anyone wants to tag along, no agenda for Monday cept' hurricane creek rd, max patch areas, whatever other light dirt I can figure out. Probably be at Jonathan creek inn sun/ mon night, headed east tues.

Blind Squirrel
Got a couple days. Will be in Maggie valley area prolly late Sunday and Monday only if anyone wants to tag along, no agenda for Monday cept' hurricane creek rd, max patch areas, whatever other light dirt I can figure out. Probably be at Jonathan creek inn sun/ mon night, headed east tues.

If you want some very twisty stuff with 10 miles of dirt road try NC 197 from Burnsville:

NC 197

Nothing too tough. I got through it with my RT.

You may also want to check out the Wheels Through Time museum. Good stuff to look at, and they all run!

If you want some very twisty stuff with 10 miles of dirt road try NC 197 from Burnsville:

NC 197

Nothing too tough. I got through it with my RT.

You may also want to check out the Wheels Through Time museum. Good stuff to look at, and they all run!

It's just over 4 miles of gravel near the top and good pavement on both sides of it.

Thanks, looks like pairing that with nc 80 would be a nice jaunt. Do that tomorrow. I'm looking forward to the pancakes cross the st from Jon creek inn!

I am surprised and delighted to hear from you, Rick! Looks like you will be leading another large group of Floridians again in the NC mountains. I am really look forward to seeing you, Bob, Rob, Chuck and the rest of the gang.

All the best,

Dick

Weather is looking great! Is it time yet!

Good weather - good friends - good riding - I think I will leave on Wednesday instead of Thursday!

See you all soon! :clap:

Just a reminder that we'll be having the Saturday night dinner at Flipside Restaurant at 6:30, just around the corner at 30 Dillard Road (the intersection of 28 and 106)...and it's downhill both ways :)

Just a reminder that we'll be having the Saturday night dinner at Flipside Restaurant at 6:30, just around the corner at 30 Dillard Road (the intersection of 28 and 106)...and it's downhill both ways :)

Any recommendations for Thursday night dinner?

There are several places in town. Rukka's Table across the street is one.

There's an Italian place (Ippolitos, I think) down by The Old Edwards Inn.

Heading out of town towards Cashiers on 64 E look for Sweet Treats. A great lunch, but I'm not sure if they're open for dinner.

The hotel across from the Edwards Inn has always been good.

For a lunch, the Sapphire Mountain Pub, back in next to the pro shop for the Sapphire Mountain golf course off of 64 in Cashiers

has some good food and great beers for when you aren't riding. (1/2 hour from Highland's).

The pizza place in downtown Highlands is actually decent.

99.99% still no go, but if I can't we're there in spirit.

I know others have mentioned it, but in case anyone is still wondering the parkway is fully clear and in good shape. I personally verified the stretch between The Pisgah inn and the Little Switzerland Inn yesterday. All ist gut!

20130923_122707-XL.jpg

20130923_141752-XL.jpg

You kids have a great time... :)

Shawn

I'm finishing up my planning and looking for rides in the area. Are there any sites with routes with Highlands as the start/end point? I've been to the Skyway, Dragon, etc. and am looking for more.

thanks

I'm finishing up my planning and looking for rides in the area. Are there any sites with routes with Highlands as the start/end point? I've been to the Skyway, Dragon, etc. and am looking for more.

thanks

Ken's routes are excellent. They will get you lost most anywhere you want to go.

Ping me later and i can share some of what I have too. I have a couple great maps of that area.

I am out. Developed a pinched nerve in my back that radiates severe pain down right leg. Can't walk unassisted. This is a HUGE disappointment.

Look forward to seeing everyone April 24-27, 2014 at next BMWST event.

In the meantime, if anyone needs a room at the Mountain High Lodge in Highlands, I will be canceling my three night room reservation tomorrow at around 12 noon, which should open things up for others. :(

Danielle and I are leaving Jacksonville in a few minutes. Staying overnight in SC with my mom and will join you guys/gals in NC tomorrow. I can't wait!

Added a day on the front. Becky and I will be there Wed eve.

My consult with the anesthesia folks is today at 2:00 . Headed to the farm near Mt. Airy to help my son with some construction. If I don't see you guys, you will know my knee is killing me. I should be there Friday.

Archived