IGNORED

Fall Appalachian Riding Tour (FART) 2013

Kinsley

Thinking I am out for the weekend festivities, but may try to make it for a good Thursday ride if there's anyone in early.

Danielle and I will be driving up to Aiken, SC on Wednesday and leaving from there Thursday morning to head into Highlands. If you're anywhere near there we could all ride in together if we schedule it right. Or if you're already in Highlands, we may be up for a ride when we get there since we'll be getting there before we're supposedly allowed to check into the hotel.

Thinking I am out for the weekend festivities, but may try to make it for a good Thursday ride if there's anyone in early.

Danielle and I will be driving up to Aiken, SC on Wednesday and leaving from there Thursday morning to head into Highlands. If you're anywhere near there we could all ride in together if we schedule it right. Or if you're already in Highlands, we may be up for a ride when we get there since we'll be getting there before we're supposedly allowed to check into the hotel.

I will check Bob, I may be able to bunk someplace around Greer SC and meet you two on the way in. I could work a Bernie route home first light Friday and be home in time for my commitments.

I could work a Bernie route home first light Friday and be home in time for my commitments.

Wait - you're being committed? :rofl:

Some might say it's long overdue.

Lone_RT_rider
..... I may be able to bunk someplace around Greer SC and meet you two on the way in.

May be able to? Mi casa es tu casa. Bring it. :)

..... I may be able to bunk someplace around Greer SC and meet you two on the way in.

Awesome, I'll be there Wednesday evening. details a'comin!

I have been fed a bottle of GAS-X at work and I will not be able to FART. :(

Quick John, stop at your favorite mexican restaurant and get a refill of beans. You be FART'ing in no time at all.

Come on John, you need to get some riding done this year, snow is on it's way, before too long.

Awesome, I'll be there Wednesday evening. details a'comin!

I could meet you somewhere for lunch!

Welcome Chuck-- this is a good group.. Coming here from ADVrider you may miss all the profanity and overweight riders but there is a lot of knowledge!!

Maybe the temps will drop below 90 before we fart..Later

I am getting anxious for the 2013 FART. Leaving Wednesday the 25th, hooking up with the Panama City guys to ride the back roads of Florida and Alabama, with an overnight stop in Oxford Al. that evening. The next day we will continue on through Alabama, North Georgia, traverse the Cherohala and Hqwy 28 and into Highlands. What a great way to start a weekend of riding the backroads of Georgia, North Carolina, and Tennessee.

Welcome Chuck-- this is a good group.. Coming here from ADVrider you may miss all the profanity and overweight riders . . .

Don't worry, some of us can make you feel at home in that regard.

For your planning purposes, we'll have the Saturday dinner at 6:30.

We'll be at Flipsides at 30 Dillard Rd, within easy walking distance.

We'll have the full menu to order from and get a free dessert for the group (most likely banana pudding).

GPS routes coming soon :)

The Spousal Unit and I will be traveling to the event, just booked a room at the hotel. Looking forward to some good riding and good times.

I just called to make a reservation and the only rooms that were left for a three night stay were deluxe king size bed rooms for $160 a night. I left my name just in case there were any cancellations.

Ron, I just called 5 minutes ago and talked to Natasha and got a double room at the $79 rate. If you haven't gotten your room, you may want to call them back. They may have added some additional rooms to our package.

Oh, and I guess this goes without saying: The wife and I are definitely IN!

Bobster, I called yesterday and was told $139 for the deluxe room as the only option. I said ok, will discuss with wife...called back today and there was ONE twin room for $79 which I locked into.

"Easy walking distance" for Kinsley? Or regular human beings?? ;)

"Easy walking distance" for Kinsley? Or regular human beings?? ;)

Oh, I'm feelin' the love :) Yes, I believe it's downhill both directions :rofl:

Folkdancer48

I have risen from the ashes like a Phoenix to participate once more in one of Kinsley's incomparable events. Please put me on your list, Ken (no not that list, the one for F.A.R.T.)

To Bob F., Ron-M and the other Florida riders please accept my solemn pledge: this time, no pass'n and no crash'n. Scouts honor! :grin:

Dick, it is great to hear that you are literally back in the saddle. I often think of you and wonder how things are going. It will be great to see you again and you are welcome to ride with us anytime.

Please put me on your list, Ken (no not that list, the one for F.A.R.T.)

Ok, I'll move you from one list to the other :)

It will be good to see you again.

DW- It will be so good to see you again :clap: This time you will be vertical with all extremities aimed in the right direction!! Be sure you bring your favorite cap :thumbsup:

Folkdancer48

While certain extremities do not quite function as well as before (and I will be as vertical as my altered spinal column permits me to be), I will definitely be headed in the right direction. Fear not, my favorite cap is packed and ready to go.:grin:

You coming by yourself or is Maria insisting on coming to watch over you?

(Hint: Highlands is spouse friendly as was Blowing Rock)

Now I know where I can get a definitive opinion on whether the K1600 is better on an off camber, decreasing radius turn than a K1200GT :grin:

See you there unless you're getting off early enough to ride with us. Doing a couple more farkles for Becky's bike for that ride (better lights up front)

Folkdancer48

I will be most likely by myself. Looks like Maria may have to make a trip home to PR.

I would like to join you on the trip to the rally site, but my work schedule is too changeable to coordinate with anyone else. Maybe we can share the trip back, depending on when you need to get home.

See you there!

If you would like to know where to FART around Highlands, the routes are up for download in both GDB and GPX formats.

A note about receiving Routes From Others.

Your maps and preferences may be different than those of the person you received them from, so to be sure you ride the intended route. You must do the following.

- Open the GDB or GPX file in your software, then make duplicates of each route (usually a right click will show the option).

- Change the color of the Duplicate route (usually double click, then go to “Info” and look there)

- Note the mileage, then Re-calculate the Original route. The mileage should stay the same.

- If the route mileage is different, look for the color you changed the Duplicate route to. You will need to add a Waypoint or Via point to the Original route to make it match the duplicated route. Once the two routes are the same, delete the Duplicated route, then load the "updated" Original route onto your GPS.

GPX File

GDB File

Many thanks, Ken. Did you use Garmin software to create these routes (i.e., MapSource or BaseCamp)? If so, what map version is in that software? I may have to update my maps in MapSource in order for your routes to load properly.

I worked these files up in BaseCamp. Software..

Garmin's BaseCamp, MapSource, etc will open at least one of them and they are the same information, just different file formats.

Any software that can read GPX or GDB files can open them.

We directions for duplicating and making sure the routes match after recalculation allow for differences in map versions and software preferences.

I am certainly no GPS expert, but in order to open either one of these files, you first need a special software program that is sold by Garmin. It is possible to purchase it on-line and download it from the Garmin website. My software is called "MapSource", but is unfortunately outdated. Because of the age of its maps, it may not faithfully reflect Ken's routes. Garmin's newest software is called "BaseCamp" and is evidently what Ken used to produce these routes. After you purchase and download "BaseCamp", you can then work with these files by following Ken's written instructions in his earlier post.

Yes, I did create the routes in BaseCamp (with old maps), but MapSource or BaseCamp with any map version will be able to open the file. It is most important that the routes be re-calculated to allow for our differences in that regard.

There are programs other than Garmin that will open GPX files.

GPX readers , but you may not be able to manipulate the data on all of them the way we do in the Garmin software, but I'm not sure.

Yes, I did create the routes in BaseCamp (with old maps), but MapSource or BaseCamp with any map version will be able to open the file. It is most important that the routes be re-calculated to allow for our differences in that regard. There are programs other than Garmin that will open GPX files.

I have an older version of MapSource I got with a 2610. I was able to open the routes, and recalculate them.

Are we there yet?

Ron, I'm not sure how large your group is, but if y'all are up for one more, I could meet you guys in Oxford Thursday morning and tag along. Oxford's an hour east of me, so as long as you're not leaving at sun-up, I can get there early. If y'all are full, no worries, I'll see you in Highlands either way.

Lookin' forward to seein' everybody!

Is anyone heading down from NOVA / DC / MD on Wednesday? I'm looking to minimize slab / maximize Skyline & BRP, so doing an overnight en route; heading out from mid distance (Peaks of Otter on the Parkway) to Highlands Thursday morning; sure wouldn't mind some company.

Christopher,

You are most welcome to join us if you don't mind riding with six others. We are staying at the Fairfield Inn, 143 Colonial Dr., Oxford, Al. Leaving there 8 AM Thursday morning for about a 300 mile long way around route to Highlands. Hope to see you then.

I'm really frustrated but am out. govt service will not allow my absence for this time period. I cannot retire soon enough. have fun all .

I'm really frustrated but am out. govt service will not allow my absence for this time period. I cannot retire soon enough. have fun all .

Bummer - you will be missed!

You'll be wearing $1500 worth of riding gear and straddling a $20,000 bike; you'll blend in just fine. Just avoid parking next to the schmuck who rides in blue jeans and covers his seat with a sliced-up garbage bag at night to keep the dew off.

Didn't know there was a dress code. Me and my garbage bag know when we aren't wanted. :(

Seriously, have fun everyone. Wish I could join you.

Sadly, I am too.

Too much work and too many events colliding in the same weekend.

You kids have fun and be safe.

Archived