IGNORED

2013 NorCal Meets SoCal in the Middle

CoarsegoldKid

AdventurePoser
Can't miss this one. At least one of us will be there maybe two.

Thanks Joe for doing this and Oakhurst Lodge I'm sure will be fine. Gar and I stayed there a few times over the years and found it nice to bad it fell on hard times but sounds like it's on the mend.

Hi Juanita :wave:

It will be nice to see you guys up there. I hope to make it to Brookings as well in January/early February.

As far as the motel, I realized after looking at the website that I'd stayed there...(too many motels) It was ok. A basic motel that should be fine for our needs. See you there.

Reservations made

Thanks Joe for doing this and Oakhurst Lodge I'm sure will be fine. Gar and I stayed there a few times over the years and found it nice to bad it fell on hard times but sounds like it's on the mend.

Hi Juanita wave

Such pressure, what to do? Oh, well, then entire Brookings contingent is IN (or at least reserved).

CoarsegoldKid

IN! I better make my reservations soon. It appears that all my favorite people will be there. Those people are the ones that still speak to me.

IN! I better make my reservations soon. It appears that all my favorite people will be there. Those people are the ones that still speak to me.

Yeah well, just don't use any big words...... :rofl:

Room reserved, and there will be a Friday- So Cal to Oakhurst back road ride again this year :thumbsup:

Don J :wave:

What's this nonsense about one. I've decided you must meet a two person minimum. :thumbsup:

What's this nonsense about one. I've decided you must meet a two person minimum. :thumbsup:

+1 ;)

I am soooo there!!!! Got Yosemite out of the way last year so looking forward to some great riding with the usual suspects from SoCal... And of course it will be great to see Joe and Juanita again :-))

CoarsegoldKid

Alright ladies and gentlemen there maybe a pleasant surprise in store for the adventure off-road crowd. I can't comment any further. Keep your fingers crossed. (I need a fingers crossed emoticon.)

JoAnn and I put it on the calendar. We planned to ride Hwy 49 last year but it was too hot in July. This should be much better.

• 2 weeks later...
CoarsegoldKid

Shameless bump. The event falls of the list quickly. A newcomer would not know where to look. And I passed the word on to the local BMW club to come to BMWST.com for details.

So far this year the snowfall has been low in the mountains. This might mean that riders have a good chance to ride into Yosemite like they did last year. Plus there should be good dual sport riding in the woods. And as always the pavement riding through the foothills will be prime.

For those of you with extra time following the weekend, Yosemite (and other national parks) will have free entry for the week of April 22-26.

just thought I'd pass that on. . . .

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I think Janet and I are finally going to be able to make it this year. :thumbsup: There are so many folks that we want to see, and this will have to suffice for not being able to do the UN. Awaiting motel confirmations.

Thanks in advance to Joe and Juanita (and the other rider leaders). I might even bring a few new faces down with us from the Northern Sierras! ;)

Been driving me nuts..... I'ma all over this computer and no matter what keys I monkey with I can't seem to go from the end of January and than delete February and March and go directly to April ... C&AP

Tank, this must be a national problem. We have a shindig in Helen GA in April, and as much as I try I can't fast forward to it! :grin::wave:

• 2 weeks later...
Bumping this up the thread ladder is the least I can do. :wave:

I hope you aren't waiting until the last moment.

Is this a pun Joe? :/

Bumping this up the thread ladder is the least I can do. :wave:

I hope you aren't waiting until the last moment.

Well, of course I'm waiting until the last moment! I never know whether I can go anywhere until the last moment. Why make a reservation when I might have to cancel it?

Any camping available close by in the area? Any suggestions on camping areas? It'll be abouta 400 mile ride by the slab for me but I should be able to make it up barring work or something like that.

CoarsegoldKid

KOA

Downs it'll be worth every mile. However there maybe some one with a room to share. As I was told in my youth. If you don't ask you don't get....

Goes for discounts and room sharing too.

CoarsegoldKid

Camping might also be available in April around the Bass Lake area for those interested. Bass Lake is about 5 miles from Oakhurst.

That's probabyl what I'll do then. I'll have to pull up recreation.gov and see what's around. I'd prefer not to do a KOA they are almost as pricey as a hotel/motel room, and while I would appreciate an offer to share a room I'd much rather camp :)

• 2 weeks later...
CoarsegoldKid

Yes, Dave. Both dirt and pavement roads will be covered. The mountain region may not be open to us this early in Spring so I wouldn't count on those trails. There are however many beautiful miles of graded dirt roads through the ranchlands. I will lead one on Friday. Chris Andrade has volunteered to lead one on Saturday. If that should go sideways I'll do it but currently I'm planning in a pavement route on Saturday. I'm hoping the road into Yosemite is open and safe like it was last year so folks can ride up there on in their own time and enjoy the sights.

Not much has been heard from the out of state riders so far. Where are you?

CoarsegoldKid

I heard yesterday that there is a very good chance that the mountain roads and trails for dual sport riding will be open above Bass Lake. :clap:

Joe, since I can't get my F-650 down without trailering, ( I don't have a trailer :rofl:)

I'll be on the RT .

I do plan sometime to get down for some of the duelsport riding that the area offers.

CoarsegoldKid

Jan does.

That's okay amigo. Lots to ride around here anytime you want on any bike you want to bring.

PhilipJCaputo

Wish I could come and meet up with all a number of fellow California riders... but as the calendar will tell, this event is just a little more than 9 months after the UN ended.

I know it's 9 months, because just after I got back from the '12 UN, my wife let me know we are expecting our first child! I don't think it would look too good for me to leave my wife at home with a 1-3 week old baby. :-)

Looks like I might have to hold out until '14 NorCal Meets SoCal.

Jan does.

That's okay amigo. Lots to ride around here anytime you want on any bike you want to bring.

I think I could carry the 5 DS's (4 DR's and Tweety) with the Taco and trailer... but I don't know who would drive?

[quote=Twisties

I think I could carry the 5 DS's (4 DR's and Tweety) with the Taco and trailer... but I don't know who would drive?

Jan, 2 of the DR's are staying home. Gar is riding the GS. He's leaving for a month long trip across the USA after Joe's. He's hoping to stop in along his southern route and beg for shelter along the way.

Hi Joe and all,

Chiming in late a usual. Wife gave me ok to attend this year. My third year now. I'll ride up late Friday and join one of the rides on Saturday.

Tim C.

CoarsegoldKid

That's a good wife. I'll be at the Oakhurst Lodge on Friday. Hopefully not broken from riding off road during the day. See you there.

• 2 weeks later...
CoarsegoldKid

DS riders please chime in. If you are planing to ride the dirty parts with a group let me know so I can help it be an enjoyable off pavement experience. There are easy and there are difficult routes. As I have stated previously I will lead a DS ride on FRIDAY morning from Oakhurst, exact time and place to meet up is still being considered. SATURDAY DS riders will be lead by Chris Andrade.

You might be curious about the condition of my intended off pavement routes. They will be big bike friendly. Maybe a bit ruddy and some sand but not deep. A few places may have spring runoff but our winter has been hijacked so I don't think they will be deep enough to get your axles wet.

Joe you're killing me here... That sounds like so much fun!

I encourage anyone who might be on the fence about this to go ahead and join Joe for the off-pavement rides. The area is so pretty and the small dirt roads are just heavenly.

Mikko

Joe,

I'm in for the dirty ride on Fri. I will be watching for detils but plan to arrive in Oakhurst thurs pm.

Sat I'll ride the asphalt. The best of both worlds!

Asking for challenging trails seems like a good way to invite a face plant with a bunch of paparazzi standing around capturing it all :-)

Would like to make the Friday DS ride as well. Not sure when we will make it to Oakhurst Friday morning but will hopefully be before noon - is that too late to hook up for the DS ride?

Cheers,

Jason

Service finished, check.

600-+ miles to Oakhearst.... gently ride a couple hundred miles thru the tulips.. than 600 miles back. Thinking my rear tire might need to be replaced before take off.... Or carry a replacement and than use Joes changer.... Or just ship a tire to Joes, Majors decisions time

Time gap closing slowly but surely

TuesdayAfternoonMusings

Probably is Jason. I would like to hit the trails by 9am after breakfast at Pete's.

Joe - Is that Pete's place in Oakhurst on 41?

Archived