IGNORED

2013 NorCal Meets SoCal in the Middle

CoarsegoldKid

CoarsegoldKid

Yep, it's early in the planning stages this year. Mark your calendars for April 19-20. However if you want to come earlier or stay later you can certainly do so. I'll come and play to.

Don't let the NorCal-SoCal description deter you. Last year we had riders from Washington State, Oregon, and Arizona. Come on Nevadians and all the way over to Texas and beyond. You are welcome.

I have made arrangements with the Oakhurst Lodge in Oakhurst, Ca to be the motel headquarters of the 2013 event. I spoke to Jules Allen, the General Manager, and arranged a 53 dollar per room price point.

We are going to have a catered meal for Saturday evening. They will even provide a large ice chest for your beer and drinks. There was even talk of a band from Jules. I suggested a Blue's Band if that were to come to pass. It's my call.

So you can arrange reservations with them anytime to reserve your room now if you want. Currently they will hold 24 rooms for us and add more if needed. I mentioned that they probably won't hear from anyone until about February which Jules understood.

I also passed on all of the concerns from last year's guests that stayed there and was promised it would be addressed.

More intel to come. What would you like? Since I'm free of event chores I plan on leading a dual sport ride on Friday April 18th and assist in a pavement ride group on Saturday the 19th.

Of course you all know that you can come and go as you please. Group rides or no group rides, just have fun. Art studios, restaurants, wine tasting, Yosemite National Park all close-by. Hundreds of miles of two-lane roads along with off-road dirt with water, rocks, and sand features plus graded fire roads.

Book now and avoid the rush. Jules will accept cancellations the morning of Friday April 19th in case anything goes sideways with your plans.

Oakhurst Lodge (559)683-4417

You can also email her at oakhurstlodge@sti.net

Be sure to mention BMWST NorCal Meets SoCal in the Middle to get the discount.

Joe

Is it April already? Plan for April? I haven't even planned for this week.

The California Antique Farm Equipment show is in Tulare that weekend, as usual.

So maybe this year I can make it to both.

What would I like?

I would vote for no band, instead a nice peaceful environment for Saturday night dining. And beef. Well done, please.

How to keep the thread alive?

Send out invitations. That's what I do, by pm. In fact, I have probably invited some people to your event by pm invitation, on your behalf, of course.

dc

Joe, I have to chime in here on the choice of lodging. What have they done to make it even remotely viable to stay there. This was a very close second to the very worst and disgusting place I have ever stayed. I really don't want to be a thread drag but I don't possibly see how I could be persuaded to stay here. Filthy rooms, disgusting amenities, bad stink, sticky carpet, you name it. So, what have they done?

CoarsegoldKid

Gee, Phil how do you really feel. I'm going to try to cool off. I wish you would have contacted me before putting out a nasty note like that. I don't know what to say. Oakhurst Lodge hosts many motorcycle and car tours.

What have they done?

First of all they have a new General Manager that I feel wants the business and will do what we want. Second they have fired the mother/daughter housekeepers that were there last April. Third they now have a quality control person that checks the rooms after they are cleaned. Fourth I was told new beds would be in before April. I told her I want the pool to be clean but there is no heater and never has been. I gave her your letter, as I said I would and told her to read it and that if she had this experience would she return. She said she would also pass it on to the owner. Others from last year had a better experience than you so I understand your position. I hope they chime in. I walked the grounds and I liked what I saw outside and what I saw in one room. I said that this motorcycle group will likely continue to use Oakhurst Lodge if they do a great job, have clean rooms, and generally show us that they want the business - Or I'll find a different motel. What else can I do? I had your interest at heart.

I hope that what you have said will not influence others but I'm afraid all that I have done has been tarnished.

Phil,sorry you had a bad experence there last year. From what I remember there are several nicer (more expensive) places to stay right across the way. We stayed there last year as an upgrade from the infamous Blackhawk :rofl: and will go back this year.

The woman owner was very interested in our weekend, and seemed more than willing to have us there, only thing she asked- if she could join the parking lot happy hour!

We'll be there as this is one ride NOT to be missed :clap:

Joe, thanks for setting this up, see ya soon

Don J :wave:

Joe, I certainly apologize if for some reason you feel attacked in some way by my post, but, the facts are the facts as it relates to this place. I forgot about the flies and green pool. As you indicate, we had a lengthy discussion and emails back and forth on this last year immediately after the event.

I appreciate your taking the input from last year and forwarding it as you indicated. I, too, did this with zero response even though I was emphatic that I was not after a return of the money I spent there or for a reduction of any kind. I was merely after a discussion to air my and my family's concerns and to provide them with honest feedback as to their customer's experience as well as to provide them with an opportunity to respond. Remember, my family stayed here as well and their perceptions and take aways were equal to or greater than my dissatisfaction. I slept on the couch for several days thereafter for taking them to this place!!

I think, for me, I'll make a day trip to the lodge prior to the NmS event and see for myself. I couldn't possibly consider staying there after last year's experience without doing this regardless of what they have said they would do. I truly hope the lodge steps up. It's an awesome location. I also emphatically believe that regardless of any comments concerning this lodging choice that anyone and everyone considering attending this event know that you and Juanita go way above and beyond in the hosting of an event. It is one not to be missed as it is quite impossible to not be satisfied beyond belief at the event itself.

The lodge does not sway me from attending. I may have to just walk or ride to the parking lot to join the parking lot frivolity. A small price to pay.

Woo Hoooooo We are in! That's Richard long weekend!

Sorry but I have to...

I, too, did this with zero response even though I was emphatic that I was not after a return of the money I spent there or for a reduction of any kind. I was merely after a discussion to air my and my family's concerns and to provide them with honest feedback as to their customer's experience as well as to provide them with an opportunity to respond. Remember, my family stayed here as well and their perceptions and take aways were equal to or greater than my dissatisfaction. I slept on the couch for several days thereafter for taking them to this place!!

If it was that bad, why did you stay there at all? No one forced you to stay there. How many nights did you stay?

Make yourself a note, you would never want to stay in the only Hotel/Motel in Hyder, Alaska... Myself, I can't wait to go back!

Yo Joe !! I'M IN !!, granted it's not the 5 STAR we're all used to staying at, ha ha, we've ALL been in better and worst places, but for a nite or 2, or 3, it beats some of the cells i've been locked in !! see ya there !!!

Well. I'd thought I would make the trip out there for the next one. But that's the weekend MotoGP hits Austin. Joe, sounds like you went to a lot of trouble to ensure adequate lodging.

CoarsegoldKid

A couple of newbies interested I see. Well you won't be disappointed. This NorCal Meets SoCal in the Middle ride is approaching it's 6th year. From humble beginnings with only Heyfrank, Hakkan, their wifes, and Heck the first year to over 60 last year. I'll post routes that riders can take their own if they so choose. It was once said that after riding a hundred miles you are still only about an hour away from your starting point. Camille said it's like a track day mile after miles after miles. Not that fast though. My advice is that your tires should be up to track day spec. Last year Graydude led a smell the roses tour. He had quite a trail of riders with huge smiles on their faces. Yours truly led a brisker pace group. Bob from the local BMW Club showed yet another view of the foothills and everyone came back in awe of their day. And so did Larry and Tammy peel off with a group. Others headed off to Yosemite on their own. As I mentioned previously, on Friday if there is interest, I'll lead a group into the woods for a dual sport experience not soon forgotten. I'm a newbie in that arena so it won't be too technical(ha). If there is still snow up their we might have to alter that some. I ride a DRZ400S by the way. Last year Richard, a man with vast riding experience in the area led a merry band of riders on a dual sport adventure on Saturday. I think he may be persuaded again this year. Mr. Duck usually leads a Southern California contingent through the twisties just to get here on Friday. This environment is a piece of motorcycle heaven. So no matter what adventurous direction you decide to take you'll be back.

Last year we had riders from Washington State, Oregon, and Arizona. Come on Nevadians and all the way over to Texas and beyond.

Devastated, I am. Me thinks Eddd may never recover. Sharon is forlorn.

Woo Hoooooo We are in! That's Richard long weekend!

Sorry but I have to...

. . .
:rofl:

If it was that bad, why did you stay there at all? No one forced you to stay there. How many nights did you stay?

Make yourself a note, you would never want to stay in the only Hotel/Motel in Hyder, Alaska... Myself, I can't wait to go back!

Hey Jacqueline, the Sealaska isn't that bad! Next time you go back to Alaska, spend a night at the Talkeetna Roadhouse if you want to experience real "rustic" lodging. Stay in the little cabin in the back of the Roadhouse and you'll really appreciate the refined cleanliness and sophistication of the Sealaska Inn, fersher!

BTW, I'm IN, and if Joe says so, then I'm sure that the Oakhurst Lodge will be more than fine! (but don't believe him about how non-life-threatening his little dualsport ride will be)

A couple of newbies interested I see. Well you won't be disappointed.

Bob from the local BMW Club showed yet another view of the foothills and everyone came back in awe of their day. Is he coming back this year? I'm convinced we got the VIP treatment from him last year!

Mr. Duck usually leads a Southern California contingent through the twisties just to get here on Friday. Oh yeah, that will happen again!

This environment is a piece of motorcycle heaven.

The "usual suspects" will definitly be there :clap:

Don J :wave:

I'm going to try to make it too, but April is a long way off and I can't say I'll be able to make it yet. But it is now on my calendar. . .

Thanks for putting it together again.

You bet I'm in. A band? Much less a Blues band would be the bestest day ever!! I'll sleep on broken glass if I have to. The roads and company are not to be missed!

I hope I can. I hope I can. I hope I can.

. . .stupid albatross of a house. . .

Edit: Jan, too, of course. :-)

Did you just call Jan an albatross?

Oakhurst=worst motel experience ever for me. I stayed there while caging around last year. Big wet spots in the bed, wifi was useless, and carpet had big slippery soapy area just outside the bathroom! I did make it out alive.

Blackhawk > Oakhurst. Hopefully things have changed.

Joe, do what you have to do to ensure Bob is in attendance. :)

Sat breakfast still at the golf course?

. . .stupid albatross of a house. . .

Edit: Jan, too, of course. :-)

Did you just call Jan an albatross?

Funny, kinda the way I read it too. :rofl:

Umm, looking back at the ill thought out post that I made above, if Joe says that changes have been made at the Oakhurst that's good enough for me. I'll be there.

I am not the great communicator, and common sense can sometimes escape me, like in this case. :(147635199.jpg

Someone please 147635352.jpg at me.

It would be on my calendar...if I had a calendar.

Well...I have a calendar, but it is only for this year.

I guess I need to get a new one.

A new calendar, that is, not a new year...you get those automatically.

When I do get a new calendar, I'm going to put it right on there.

What were we talking about, again?

CoarsegoldKid

Ed, we all look forward to you obtaining a new calendar with all the months of 2013, especially April. That wonderful looking FJR will get you here in no time.

IN, at Oakhurst In!

Would not miss it for the world and a tradition it is! Plan to show up with the Lancaster Gang!

Hakan ( Hank)

Hi Joe,

It was good to see you at the MC show in San Mateo last month. I look forward to the event and meeting up with everyone in April.

I was talking with the wife about this just the other day.

What she told me was that I WILL be going to the N-m-S-i-t M, and that I WILL be taking her along...

So... I'm IN!

:clap:

• 3 weeks later...

Hope you all don't mind a couple of lurkers showing up. Booked a room and ready to go. Bringing my brother, both of us are long time Beemer (and other brand) riders.

Looking forward to seeing and meeting this group.

Everyone have a Merry Xmas and Happy New Year

Bob

...More intel to come. What would you like? Since I'm free of event chores...

Great weather.

Thanks Joe for all the efforts! :thumbsup:

Reservations made.

:wave:

L.Bump

CoarsegoldKid

Hey guys and gals I see this is shaping up nicely. I also see that my initial post has multiple links for yellow pages and coupon BS. I have nothing to do with that. Shoot the internet not the messenger.

AdventurePoser

You'd think being only 300 miles or so from Oakhurst would get me up there more often...

This year, IN...It'll be the start of a ten week ride to Maine, the South, and then back to OR for the International Rally!

Can't miss this one. At least one of us will be there maybe two.

Thanks Joe for doing this and Oakhurst Lodge I'm sure will be fine. Gar and I stayed there a few times over the years and found it nice to bad it fell on hard times but sounds like it's on the mend.

Hi Juanita :wave:

Archived