IGNORED

2013 NorCal Meets SoCal in the Middle

CoarsegoldKid

CoarsegoldKid

I think it's pretty safe to say that the mountain forest service roads will be open. So there will be mountains and ranchland on the Friday ride. Right now the ground is green and flowered. Hopefully it stays for a couple more weeks.

CoarsegoldKid

Just a reminder if you are planning on a Dual Sport ride on Friday we will be departing at 9:00am from Pete's Cafe located at the intersection of Hwy 41 and Hwy 49. I have a route made out in Basecamp(yes Jon I'm getting the hang of it). I can send it to all that will PM and email to me. I haven't received a confirmation from Saturday's Dual Sport ride leader so I may be leading that one too. Can I get a show of hands as to whom is DS riding and on what day?

I figure by now most of you know your way around the Western Slope of the Central Sierra foothill pavement by now. If you're a noob to the area or unsure bring a map of the area and I or Franz can point out great roads. Basically if it squiggles about on the map it's a good road. Yosemite National Park is just up the road some and that is always a treat. Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks are also easy to get to. I believe the roads to Courtwright Reservoir should be open. Google it.

Mr. Duck and his merry band of motorcycle marauders are a great bunch to hook up with if coming from the Los Angeles are. See his thread for details.

So far the "I want to come", and "I made reservations IN" looks like this. I didn't include spouses and significant others in most cases. But bring them anyway.

Coarsegoldkid

Zweiradfreak

Corneilus

Mr. Duck

Groanup

Longjohn

Der Kaiser

Spartan

Tanis

Jonathan Multhaup

Tank

Bill Walker

Eddd

Hakken

Franksocks

RLJ

David13

Firefight911

Jacquline

Richard

Traveller1

RT Russ

Cubby

Scarecrow

Twisties

Bullet

Graydude

Gery

Factortech

Brian Louw

Dewberry

Lbump

AdventurePoser

Gottogo & Friend

J.King

CoolTouch

Silvergator

Drswift

Downs

Tim R12GS

Well I am In to. I would not miss this ride. I will miss the Blackhawk though. And of course the BBQ with the sauteed mushrooms and glazed onions, and fruit and coleslaw salads. Joe, you sure know how to multi task on the grill and planing.Glad you can join the ride full time.Anyone on the fence on this I strongly suggest you make this ride. You won't be sorry. :thumbsup:

Bill_Walker
So looking forward to this!!!! Seems like it has been forever since I have seen anyone! :wave:

:wave::wave::wave::wave:

Looking forward to it, too!

IN, rolling into town Thursday evening in the truck, with the little bike in the back. The last time I rode it to/from your place didn't work out so well for me.

:dopeslap:

See you at breakfast Friday!

Joe, any news of having tunes Saturday? Anyone leaving on Thursday from SoCal who wants to take the back roads and end up at lake Isabella for the night? Neat motel along the river in the town north of the lake. Split a room? I may have the other bed available in oakhurst if my buddy has to work. Let me know

CoarsegoldKid

No music Todd. There's a biker bar walking distance just up the road from the motel. I hear they have live music. Doesn't look like the brewery is going to be ready either. But I intend to have some beer anyway. No on-site food. Plenty of restaurants to walk to.

barryNmarin

Ok, Add me to the list because I'm coming. Will arrive Thursday and am at the Oakhurst. Really looking forward to seeing almost everyone.

Ok, Add me to the list because I'm coming. Will arrive Thursday and am at the Oakhurst. Really looking forward to seeing almost everyone.

Now what did I do???????

No worries Tank, I've been retired since 05'!!

That's a good one...

Look'n forward to seeing almost everyone.

See ya there Barry!

:wave:

Unlike last year it looks like Washington State won't be represented at this great get together. I still remember last years backyard group telling well lubed stories under the stars, recovering from Joe's fantastic feed and wonderful hospitality.

Ride and love well friends.

I've been toying with the idea of riding the Ducati, but after 150 mile ride yesterday my shoulders are sending messages, that while the Ducati would be a blast on the back roads, the 1,500 mile round trip probably isn't the best idea.

orig.jpg

Bill_Walker
Sure Dave. Here are some routes constructed in Google map format . If I get around to it I'll create some Garmin maps.

Lots of options there, Joe. Do you have any recommendations? This is my second time, but I have no freakin' idea where we went the first time. I just followed you and Franz. OK, I take that back. We did the little Dragon and wound up in Coulterville. That part I remember. The rest was all little roads I'd never seen before and probably couldn't find again.

CoarsegoldKid

Bill, if you have the option to get a Central California- Bay Area to Lake Tahoe and Yosemite map from AAA bring it and a highlighter pen and I can highlight several nice routes for you. Other maps of the region if they are available would be good to have. Franz will be there on Saturday morning and he'll lead anyone brave enough. If you come up the Mr. Duck you will be on some great roads. Graydude picked a route last year that went into Mariposa County and had a large following to smell the roses. I don't know if Bob Inman is going to show up. He is local and knows the area very well. He took Mr. Duck and several other riders on a nice route. Who knows Mr. Duck may pick up the baton and lead one. Paula Landis our former CVBMW club president told me she was also joining in on the fun. She could easily pick a nice route for anyone. Der Kaiser expressed an interest in going up to Yosemite for the day. I believe there is a route among those I posted that goes back to Courtwright res. That too is nice. I do know this about riders in this group and that is they will find great roads no matter what direction they go. For you and any rider find me Friday evening or Saturday morning so we can discuss things. If you want solo adventures or groups I can help you find a wonderful day of riding.

CoarsegoldKid

I was asked by Richard Andrade if there was any interest in a Adventure bike ride on Saturday that he would lead one. Big bike friendly of course so as not to dissuade the GS contingent. Please let me know as soon as you can. I would not expect him to show up if there is no interest.

I am in for an Adventure ride on Saturday. Plan on bringing the KTM. Will have a buddy from work on an RT so he will be looking to hook up for a "smell the roses" type of ride as well.

Cheers,

Jason

I guess I'm sort of IN. Made reservation to the Lodge.

Me an Camille will join all you guys for dinner and no doubt for replay of the previous day's most heroic riding adventures on Saturday night.

No riding for us this time :(

See you all there!

--

Mikko

Me an Camille will join all you guys for dinner and no doubt for replay of the previous day's most heroic riding adventures on Saturday night.

See you all there!

--

Mikko

Good news. We can compare scars. :thumbsup:

CoarsegoldKid

See you all there!

--

Mikko

:thumbsup:

I don't know, but I'll tell you this.

One of my all-time most memorable bike rides was riding the Chinook Pass on Hwy-410 on east side of Mt. Rainier one spring when the pass was still closed for the season (gates down at both sides of the pass). Bike was able to sneak past the gates.

The roadway was clear of snow, there was some water here and there and lot of debris left behind by the melted snow. But I had something like 40 miles on mountain pass rod all for myself! And I was on a VFR. Vrooom Vrooom :grin:

Just saying....

Is 88 open from 49 to Nevada?

I'm getting conflicting info on a couple of websites.

See here: http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/display.php?page=sr88

I drove down from Tahoe today with wet roads and snow most of the way to Bishop, and some heavy fog too in spots, so heavy it was scary. No closure though. 89 had been open and I usually take that coming back from Tahoe, but it was closed today after snow yesterday and today. 4" on the car this morning on Emerald Bay Rd.

Had dinner tonight with Nancy and Gary , Jan and Sharon, Richard and Christine....

Consensus by the deafening chorus went something like this .....(My words of what I heard)... "ya cheap bast&rd, change BOTH tires before you leave", sooooo

Two new tires on the RT, and a shout out to Gary for stopping by and giving a useful hand.

Coarsegoldkid,

I think you and I have ridden together on a couple of Gayles rides from Cycle Specialties. This will be my first event with BMW ST group. Looking forward to meeting you and hooking up for some rides up in that area and further north in the future. I am in Oakdale, so I would really like to do more exploring in the foothills and beyond once the snow melts. Unfortunately, I will be doing the street rides this weekend since my brother will be on his RT and I will be on my GSA, not my favorite dirt bike.

Bob

CoarsegoldKid

Two new tires on the RT, and a shout out to Gary for stopping by and giving a useful hand.

Nothing like a little peer pressure. :thumbsup::clap::rofl:

CoarsegoldKid
Coarsegoldkid,

I think you and I have ridden together on a couple of Gayles rides from Cycle Specialties. This will be my first event with BMW ST group. Looking forward to meeting you and hooking up for some rides up in that area and further north in the future...

Dewberry I suppose it's possible since I have ridden with Cycle Specialties twice with my RT. You will enjoy the pavement and dirt roads down here. Your AdventureGS bike would do fine on all that is planned for Dual Sport riding as long as it is proper attired :rofl: . Your yearly calendars will now have another April event.

Bill_Walker

Aaaaand, I'm out, dammit. I seem to have aggravated my old back injury, and while riding the bike sometimes makes my back feel better, a short ride yesterday told me this isn't going to be one of those times.

Have fun, y'all!

CoarsegoldKid
Aaaaand, I'm out, dammit. I seem to have aggravated my old back injury, and while riding the bike sometimes makes my back feel better, a short ride yesterday told me this isn't going to be one of those times.

Have fun, y'all!

find a therapeutic yoga class

Have fun, y'all!

Phil, Bill... kinda like it's all about the same now... How many yards did you say you rode yesterday?

If anyone is interested I'll be heading out from Oakhurst on one of my patented "Smell the Roses" tours. This year is 230 miles and bet your butt it includes the Baby Dragon in and out of Coulterville. Hooners need not apply. The focus in not on speed for me but the Zen of the ride. If you are interested, we will leave from the Lodge after breakfast on Saturday. Prolly 9 or 9:30 as I'll just be getting to bed around 7.

P.S. GPS accuracy cannot be guaranteed but we will have a good time in any event!

CoarsegoldKid

It appears that on Saturday I'll be on my RT so you all have another person to follow. Just go easy on me b'cause I'm pokey.

Bill_Walker
Phil, Bill... kinda like it's all about the same now... How many yards did you say you rode yesterday?

Ouch! According to Google maps, it was about 18.5 miles. I'll let you do the math. But yeah, I hate to pull a Phil. I tried to pull a Bill, opting in only at the last minute. Apparently it wasn't last-minute enough.

Bill_Walker
I am still in the room!!!

No offense intended, but hey, when you're famous for something, you're famous! :grin:

Reservations made at the "I expect to be" Inn in Oakhurst.....barring unusual work changes, see ya there.. :thumbsup:

How things change......Stayin in Baja Northfork- In for Friday and Saturday rides, Saturday night dinner !!

Looking forward to it!!

BTW Phil- howz come you arent on your way yet? Leaving from Jackson this afternoon (4/18) heading down 49 to Oakhurst. Then to Baja Northfork for the night.

If anyone is interested I'll be heading out from Oakhurst on one of my patented "Smell the Roses" tours. This year is 230 miles and bet your butt it includes the Baby Dragon in and out of Coulterville. Hooners need not apply. The focus in not on speed for me but the Zen of the ride. If you are interested, we will leave from the Lodge after breakfast on Saturday. Prolly 9 or 9:30 as I'll just be getting to bed around 7.

P.S. GPS accuracy cannot be guaranteed but we will have a good time in any event!

A buddy from work is joining me for this weekend and was very interested in a smell the roses type tour. He is definitely in for Saturday.

cheers

Jason

Oakhurst Lodge is full. Time to go to plan B.

:thumbsup:

Time to get the civilians to bug out.... Easy to do, just rev the BMW engines till the beverages run out, that should drive them to other lodging

Archived