IGNORED

Iron Butt Rally 6/20-7/1

Kathy R

russell_bynum
One of the scorers stopped on his way south...and I was thrilled to see him and that classic bike of his...

i-wKmZf23-S.jpg

i-fJ995JW-M.jpg

Is that a BMW Sawzall on the pillion seat?

Lot's of good info over on the FJR forum. Just have to tune out the anti BMW .... stuff... shall we say?

Oh, and as he said earlier, Matt is heading over the Checkpoint 3 in a couple of hours, hopefully some good info when he returns.

roadscholar

Oh, and as he said earlier, Matt is heading over the Checkpoint 3 in a couple of hours, hopefully some good info when he returns.

Most of the BMW and HMS clubs will be there, along with a few CADS.

Most of the BMW and HMS clubs will be there, along with a few CADS.

I resemble most of those statements

Kirsten is at checkpoint 2 :clap::thumbsup::D

Wallace should be there too but his track is off - last ping was an OK at 8:50 this morning about 5 hours out of Jax.

Looks like Frens is gonna make it (even if he goes into penalty points, the pickup for KW to make the 4Corners would likely be well worth it).

I'm thinking Meese is going for 48+AK+4 Corners+Capitols. KW is gonna be a bear to squeeze into leg 3 though - 20 hrs to go from Jax to KW to Tallahassee. Even for Ken that's a full day of riding & then he's got the rest of Leg 3 to do. Frens' move to get KW today as part of Leg 2 leaves him with an easy(ier?) Leg 3 even if he has to grab a few hours of sleep on the clock it's not gonna be near what he'd burn on the KW leg tomorrow. It's only 2 1/2 hrs from Jax to Tallahassee - so he could get 4 hours sleep & Tallahassee while the others are still enroute to KW.

Calvin  (no socks)

Saw Kirsten this afternoon...she is doing well and looked fine...managed to give her a hug and wish her luck....

Also saw Nancy AKA Ms Kitty...she was also in good spirits and recieved a BMWST complimentary hug and well wishes for her journey.

PS...I helped start both ladies on separate trips for a 100 ccc from Neptune Beach a year or two back..

Saw Kirsten this afternoon...she is doing well and looked fine...managed to give her a hug and wish her luck....

Also saw Nancy AKA Ms Kitty...she was also in good spirits and recieved a BMWST complimentary hug and well wishes for her journey.

PS...I helped start both ladies on separate trips for a 100 ccc from Neptune Beach a year or two back..

....and both stayed in Whipville.

All aren't so fortunate, unfortunately. I returned a call to Matt from last night this afternoon in hopes of changing a bad Tourance on an 1150GS when he landed in J'ville this afternoon. Too little too late. Two hours after Matt talked to the rider, he called from Charlston, W.V., with a stripped input shaft. And he had already replaced a drive shaft in Montana.

Some Iron Butts just aren't yours. :P

stripped input shaft. And he had already replaced a drive shaft in Montana.

Gah, that sucks!

I don't get why the official Ironbutt rally eats parts so bad.

Mechanically is there that much difference? I've done some distances - 1600 miles in 26 hours, 9300 in 16.5 days and I've never had the parts failures that seem to happen. I get it, they are doing 1000 plus, every day - but is it that different to the bike? Or is it that these folks do this all the time and have more miles on the machines?

Regardless, seems a shame to have the time, the dedication, the ability, and the toughness and then a damn shaft strips. I'd be MAD.

JFremder might have the FD off my '04 - I can't recall for sure, but I think he is the one who bought it from me when I parted that bike, the buyer was gonna rebuild it and just have it for a spare.

Good luck to all the Iron Butt riders.

And we helped catch them at the end!

Jacksonville IBA Rally Point...

Took the afternoon off to go to IBA Rally check point about 4 miles from the house but first stom ended being a Bernie's shop where he was putting on tires for a ST1300...

Love the bike lift....

2011-IBA-RALLY-013sts-M.jpg

Shoee a tired rider...

2011-IBA-RALLY-017sts-M.jpg

Now back over to the Ramada Inn.....

Randy and Calvin....Little did Randy know what was in store for him....

2011-IBA-RALLY-040sts-M.jpg

Calvin "WITH SOCKS"....

2011-IBA-RALLY-041sts-M.jpg

A few bikes checked in at 1:00...All check ins were to be completed by 5:00.. Not in at 5:00..20 point loss per minute until 7:00 the you are DQed...

2011-IBA-RALLY-030sts-M.jpg

Parking lot repairs...seems like alot of repairs were done in Jacksonville...

2011-IBA-RALLY-037sts-M.jpg

This SV650 needed a new sprocket....

2011-IBA-RALLY-118sts-M.jpg

This 650GS needed a chain....

2011-IBA-RALLY-116sts-M.jpg

John with the 1969 Triumph had a few problems with his bike...Chain blew out up north leaving his tag to the interstate gods and some electrical problems...His "new tag" thanks to a clip board and a fancy laminating job....

2011-IBA-RALLY-064sts-M.jpg

John and his Triumph...

2011-IBA-RALLY-061sts-M.jpg

This GS needs a drive shaft...OH RANDY....Taking the drive shaft out of Randy's DONER bike.....

2011-IBA-RALLY-052sts-M.jpg

Drive Shaft removal 101 on the entrance steps of the Ramada Inn...Bernie and others doing the GETTER DONE...

2011-IBA-RALLY-072sts-M.jpg

2011-IBA-RALLY-081sts-M.jpg

2011-IBA-RALLY-096sts-M.jpg

Randy and Roadscholar (Bill F.) discussing stuff...

2011-IBA-RALLY-086sts-M.jpg

Looks like operation was successful...test ride...

2011-IBA-RALLY-097sts-M.jpg

Other sights around the Ramada Inn.....

2011-IBA-RALLY-055sts-M.jpg

2011-IBA-RALLY-079sts-M.jpg

2011-IBA-RALLY-099sts-M.jpg

2011-IBA-RALLY-102sts-M.jpg

2011-IBA-RALLY-104sts-M.jpg

2011-IBA-RALLY-103sts-M.jpg

The spirit of these riders is un-real...Give the them if and when you can.....

2011-IBA-RALLY-108sts-M.jpg

20 point loss per minute until 7:00 the you are DQed...

Tom Austin wrote that yesterday Jim Frens was hit with a 15 point penalty for checking in 16 seconds late in Jacksonville.

Day 8 report

Kirsten has moved up to 5th place!!!!!! :clap::D

Jim Frens was hit with a 15 point penalty for checking in 16 seconds late in Jacksonville.

Watched him run into check in...Poor guy... hard to run after 3600 + miles in the saddle....

Paul Mihalka

Kirsten is in 5th place! :clap: Washington area friend Chris Sakala in 6th. Nancy-Kitty is hanging in there.

I feel there will be many position changes in section 3.

Thanks for the pics. It helped get my fix.

I'll try to reciprocate at the end if I can figure out how to send.

LIST - LEG TWO BONUS

LEG ONE

Jacksonville timing penalty clarification

""there will be a 15-point per minute penalty for being late. "Minutes" will be rounded up at one second past the key time. For example, 5:00:01 (one second past 5:00 pm.) will be counted as 1 minute late. Any rider who arrives after 7:00 pm (beginning at 7:00:01 pm) will not be considered a finisher of the rally""

This has been a great rally so far! Very exciting! I'm very curious to see how the position changes. Jim Frens is on his way to pass Ken Meese and I think that's going to be one interesting story!!!

Kirsten has had an awesome ride and I'm hoping she finishes in the top 10!!

Now, I feel like going out and riding from here to eternity just to get MYYYYY fix. :rofl:

Thanks for the pearls of experience/wisdom EB.

Sobering task at hand

I do hope they all are enjoying themselves. It takes a certain breed of rider to take on the IBR. While I'm grateful for my SS1000 it showed me my limitations.

Amen to that. I'm the type of person who needs 8-9 hours of sleep a night, and while I did my SS1000 more than 10 years ago, I have to admit that I wasn't as alert as I would have liked over the last 2 hours. Hats off to those who can ride 18 hours a day, and do it over and over and over again.

This has been a great rally so far! Very exciting! I'm very curious to see how the position changes. Jim Frens is on his way to pass Ken Meese and I think that's going to be one interesting story!!!

Tina,

Not too sure about that. From another source, Ken headed from JAX to Key West along with a few others. IF, and I understand that's a big if, he grabs the Four Corners just as Jim is doing, Jim will now have to get 4000 more capitol bonii to overtake.

I agree it will be fun to watch! :lurk:

Jacksonville IBA Rally Point...

Shoee a tired rider...

2011-IBA-RALLY-017sts-M.jpg

Shuey was hit by a deer twice(!) a month ago on the Minuteman1000. The first time he picked the bike up, duct taped it back together and rode on. The second time he ran out of duct tape & had to call for a tow. I believe the insurance company totalled the bike (we were trading emails while he sat in a motel room waiting for the word hoping they'd let him buy a new bike for this ride).

Tina,

Not too sure about that. From another source, Ken headed from JAX to Key West along with a few others. IF, and I understand that's a big if, he grabs the Four Corners just as Jim is doing, Jim will now have to get 4000 more capitol bonii to overtake.

Correct - Ken hit KW & was back on the FL mainland by 8am. But, Jim still has an edge. Ken stands with about 15K points counting the 4Corners. Jim has 11K points with the 4Corners. Both should be able to get San Ysidro on the way in to Ontario. So we give them both the points for this exercise in supposition.

But, Jim was tired from a killer ride down the east coast.

But, Ken had to do a 1200 miles today to get to Tallahassee (Jax to KW to Tallahassee) which is a 20hr SS1K type of ride. Jim only had to do a 2 1/2 hr run to Tallahassee.

That means Jim's 4000 points back but 18 hours in front of Ken. If Jim is able to use those 18 hours to get a high-value boni (Tom says a 1000 mile state capital deviation is about 5000 in points) then Jim pulls ahead. He probably even has time to catch up on some sleep. This is important because Ken can ride 20 hours a day for a week or more at a time & he's going into his home court now.

That puts Jim 18 hours & possibly 1000 miles in front of Ken because Jim could head west toward the goal line while Ken burned the 1000 miles up & down FL making little progress westward. It's a horse race between these two.

But (again), watch Eric Jewell - he picked up all states/capitals last leg. If he can keep up that pace, he's only 5K off the front too - he's just behind the 3 Hyder riders. The only two really standing in front of him are Jim & Ken and if either or both stumble, Eric wins I think.

Of course it's all armchair routing so anything can happen but I'd bet money on a Jim/Ken/Eric or Ken/Jim/Eric or Eric/others finish order.

There's also the not so small matter that Ken didn't get two of the Leg 1 states during Leg 1, so his route has to pick those up as well. Not something that Jim has to deal with.

I can't imagine doing all of this routing while riding 20 or more hours a day for eleven days straight. I would miss something for sure.

DavidEBSmith

Kirsten has moved up to 5th place!!!!!! :clap::D

Kirsten looked to me like she was in better shape at checkpoint 2 than at checkpoint 1. She needs only a few states, none of them are terribly out of the way, and they line up to give her a shot at some big-point capitals and avoid to the storms out there right now. She's put together some outstanding routes in this rally, and done an outstanding job of riding those routes so far.

But it's going on day 9 and she has to ride the rest of the Rally in 100 degree heat. This is the Heartbreak Hill of the IBR.

BTW, sorry I missed everybody (except Matt) at Jax, but I pretty much didn't get out of the scoring room.

DavidEBSmith
There's also the not so small matter that Ken didn't get two of the Leg 1 states during Leg 1, so his route has to pick those up as well. Not something that Jim has to deal with.

Kentucky & Kansas, I believe. KY is not too much of a detour from the base route, KS is pretty significant, and it sends him right into the core of the heat.

Bet Ken will never again leave his rally flag behind.

Looking at the proposed "base route" in the "Day -1" document, as well as the Leg 1 and Leg 2 Bonus Listing documents, Tennessee is a Leg 3 state. That doesn't mean any rider could not get it earlier, they just could not get the state capitol bonus on another leg.

Again, looking at the base route, and taking into consideration that Ken was one of the three riders who took a serious detour to visit Alaska on Leg 1, Kansas and Missouri appear to be the two Leg 1 states he missed on Leg 1.

BTW, sorry I missed everybody (except Matt) at Jax, but I pretty much didn't get out of the scoring room.

Hey David, sorry I didnt introduce myself to you at the bull session after scoring. Wall flower that I was, just sitting on the fringe listening to the big dogs, lol

Randy

I had heard it was Kansas and Missouri that he missed, so that tracks with what dhanson just posted.
That's what Tom's reports have said. That's not the big diversion off "base" as everyone is making it - especially for a guy who averages(!) 55mph. He's got 87 hrs to do a 3400mi base - that's a 4800 mile "Meese Capacity" (new measurement unit :) ).

To grab MO & KS, he shoots NW from Little Rock (picking up AR & its capital) to Joplin (he misses Jeff City for the capital but still bags MO). It's less than 10 miles to hook west to pick up the SE corner of KS and than drop into OK and be back on "base".

But I don't think he's riding "base" - he's in his stomping grounds, can easily do 4K miles in 3 days so I'm betting he's gonna look for one or two of the big caps which I would think means he kisses OK then goes north to Denver, west to SLC, south to pick up the corner of NM then west like everyone else (with a stop in SY to wrap his 4 Corners).

Might be doable for him. He just needs to keep his rest stops down & his speed up.

DavidEBSmith

from Leg 1 & Leg 2.

You can see the tracks slow down at night. You can also see that they didn't have much time on Leg 2 to get too far off the direct route to the checkpoint.

Carol and I are safe in Ontario after our 2nd IBR. Had a BLAST! Finished the 48 states in only 10 days, got in at noon. The '04 RT turned over 100k. No bike problems. We only did 19 of 49 capitals, we'll have to see how the score works out...

Archived