IGNORED

Iron Butt Rally 6/20-7/1

Kathy R

Oh yeah, thanks for the reminder Kathy. The IBR is a lot of fun to follow. I have a lot of respect for the guts, stamina and focus of the Iron Butters. A bit of luck is also required for a top finish, and always keeps things interesting. I got my certificate for a SS1000, but that is about my comfortable limit.

Jay

There's check point here in Jax this year. I am going to go and hang out and watch what happens while they are here.

There's check point here in Jax this year. I am going to go and hang out and watch what happens while they are here.

Let us know what happens!

:lurk:

I did that two years ago when it came though IL. It was anticlimatic. Interesting to look at the bikes and setups they were using.

Carol and I are leaving in a couple days to have at it a second time. We were bronze medalists in our first attempt. The '04 RT will turn over 100k mi. during this little bi-annual adventure.

We had a great time in '09 There's a ride report in my sig.

Jeff & Carol,

Just tead your '09 tale.

Fantastic.

Good luck and best wishes to all for a safe journey.

It might be....Tom is known to be devious. I'd scrap his base route that he shows in his write up & start by loading up all the capitals & their bonus points. Then find a route anchored by Buffalo, Jacksonville & Ontario that garnered the most points & hit the checkpoints in the windows. Then I'd go back & see what waypoints I'd have to add to touch the states I'd miss that way (& potentially which capitals I might have to drop).

Treating it as a 48 state capitals rally vs. a 48 state touch rally might be the difference between finishing & finishing at the top.

I think Madawaska & KW might be suckers -- Maine is 16 hrs south to north to south again to pick up just the 4 corner & Bangor bonuses & Jacksonville to KW to Tallahassee is 20 hrs just to bag the checkpoint/4 corner/capital....and those are under optimal conditions. You could kill 2 of your 11 days just getting 2 corners & 2 capitals - not efficient I don't think (unless you're someone like Meese who can grind out 20 hr hwy days for weeks at a time).

Looks from the IBR Spots that they broke into 3 groups - one headed north to pick up Blaine (those are likely looking to do the 4 Corners bonus), those going out I90 to follow Austin's map (maybe just looking to finish) and then a group headed into Salem to pickup Oregon's capital...time will tell if these folk are on a different route or just going to head back up I84 to rejoin Austin's base route.

Just thinking here....it's too straightforward the way it's suggested by Tom...I'm the suspicious sort and think he's more devious than that - otherwise it's just a case of who can spend 20 hour days riding the interstates without blowing a final drive or hitting wildlife since all the state capitals are Interstate interconnected. That doesn't seem to be worthy of an IBR.

Lots of people think it's a back to basics rally where the computer geeks don't have an edge...I'm willing to bet that some creative routing that's capital based is going to be the winning route & computer routing skills are going to be critical.

Kathy,

Don't know if other states have 2 capitol buildings, but Florida does.

Old one is in front of new one.

The new one is 20+ stories high andthe old one is much smaller.

I hope the photo they need to take shows the correct building.

If a rider just heads south from I 10 to "the capitol" they will be in front of the old restored one.

Just a head's up to any who may need it.

Looks like this rally may be a good one.

Best wishes.

DavidEBSmith
Just thinking here....it's too straightforward the way it's suggested by Tom...I'm the suspicious sort and think he's more devious than that - otherwise it's just a case of who can spend 20 hour days riding the interstates without blowing a final drive or hitting wildlife since all the state capitals are Interstate interconnected. That doesn't seem to be worthy of an IBR.

I think it's exactly as straightforward as suggested by Tom, and much more difficult than you think.

People who do 48/10 rides spend months pre-planning the logistics, optimizing the route, finding 24 hour gas stations with good receipts close to state borders, timing the route to avoid rush hour in big cities, routing around construction zones. The IBR riders had a few hours to do that. (How many of them didn't have time to find out that a certain Interstate highway that's a standard for 48/10 rides was closed as of this morning?)

I don't know which state capitals are available on which leg, but I'm sure some of them will be less than optimally scheduled. A few months back I tried to come up with a 48/10 route that hit every state capital, and concluded that if it could be done, I couldn't do it - the best route I could come up with was 13,000 miles. Add in the Four Corners and it's 15,000 miles. You hate to say "it can't be done" with some of the riders out there, but, oh my.

This Rally reminds me of the 2003 IBR, where, at the first checkpoint, you had to make a choice of going for the "safe" but non-winning route, or the potentially winning and potentially losing route. This year, the riders essentially had to decide, at the start, if they wanted to be a finisher or try to be a winner. There are a lot of riders who didn't sleep last night, not because they were up routing, but because they weren't sure about that once-in-a-lifetime choice they had to make before 10 am this morning.

Apparently people are saying this is an easy rally. I disagree. I think the base route should be doable by anybody who has the ability to ride in the IBR, but that doesn't mean it's easy. There's a whole 'nother level of difficulty to do the Four Corners and get a Gold. Then the state capitals add the layer of variability and randomness that will challenge the best riders.

To provide a comparison, in the 2001 Rally I rode 8200 miles and, excluding checkpoints, rest bonuses, and fuel logs, did 22 bonuses. In the 2003 Rally I rode 9100 miles and did 45 bonuses. To be a finisher this year, you have to ride 8300 miles and do 48 bonuses. Not easy.

Thanks for the pearls of experience/wisdom EB.

Sobering task at hand

I do hope they all are enjoying themselves. It takes a certain breed of rider to take on the IBR. While I'm grateful for my SS1000 it showed me my limitations.

I think it's exactly as straightforward as suggested by Tom, and much more difficult than you think.

LOL! Better not be - I think just the 48 in 11 days is gonna be a major effort because it's not just 48 states but 48 states & 3 stops in very specific windows too. 48 in 10 is anything but easy - doing that with the extra curves of a predetermined start & end and then the checkpoints in the middle says it's nothing like the optimized routes someone would plan were they doing a 48/10.

I don't know which state capitals are available on which leg, but I'm sure some of them will be less than optimally scheduled.

That's kind of what I was thinking - some, like Denver or Salt Lake are likely (no facts here, just speculation) worth a bunch because they're not really close to the northern route & pretty far from the Four Corners that most everyone will try to hit to get CO/UT/NM/AZ. It's a fascinating logistics exercise.

This Rally reminds me of the 2003 IBR, where, at the first checkpoint, you had to make a choice of going for the "safe" but non-winning route, or the potentially winning and potentially losing route. This year, the riders essentially had to decide, at the start, if they wanted to be a finisher or try to be a winner.

That's a great analogy. I was interested in seeing who headed north out of Seattle (towards Blaine) vs. the southern/eastern heading riders. And then if Ken & co. can get to Hyder & back to Buffalo on time they could do the 48 + AK + 4 Corners - that'll be a ride! That's a serious table bet on "I'm in it to win it".

Apparently people are saying this is an easy rally. I disagree. I think the base route should be doable by anybody who has the ability to ride in the IBR, but that doesn't mean it's easy.

I think that's really it - not that it's easy but that it's doable for anyone in the rally. Sometimes on the sidelines it looks like there's no way regular folks could possibly run some of the IBRs. I think the "easy peasy" folks this year may also be looking at it from the point of view that they can actually see the (or a) route this year vs. the years when you have to try to figure out which of the hundreds of bounus locations might make a winning route. There's something mysterious about being able to suss out a winning route from a hundred dots on the screen - this year's apparent simplicity belies it's difficulty I think.

To provide a comparison, in the 2001 Rally I rode 8200 miles and, excluding checkpoints, rest bonuses, and fuel logs, did 22 bonuses. In the 2003 Rally I rode 9100 miles and did 45 bonuses. To be a finisher this year, you have to ride 8300 miles and do 48 bonuses. Not easy.

I think it was back in '07 when everyone in the top-5 did more than 10K miles & Marty was over 12. In 09 there were a dozen riders doing more than 12K. Those are huge distances to keep grinding out day after day. The Golds this year are going to be riding historically big rides & adding in the capitals suggest that the podium will require miles & planning not seen before.

This is a really neat one because it's easily approachable - you can wrap your head around the 48 state route - but at the same time potentially incredibly complex. For those of us who can't spend the 3 weeks or so it takes to ride it, watching it play out & trying to find solution to the problem posed is great.

BTW, shameless plug for Wallace French here! Ride Wallace Ride! :-)

DavidEBSmith
What's the over/under on final drive failures? I want in on the action!

There was a final drive failure before the start - on a Yamaha FJR.

On the other hand, rumor is that of the 3 riders who went to Alaska, 2 were carrying spare final drives.

My bold prediction is 0 final drive failures on BMWs, simply because this seems to be a year for thwarted expectations in the IBR. :)

On the other hand, rumor is that of the 3 riders who went to Alaska, 2 were carrying spare final drives.

Two of the 3 Alaska riders are on BMWs - the other is on an FJR :)

Ken looks like he's making an incredible ride already based on Tom's report. But he can ride 20hrs/day for a week at least (based on prior rallies). It's got to be like competing against Lance Armstrong to be riding against him. We'll have definitive proof that he's a cyborg when we hear that he heads to Madawaska :grin:

If he makes the 48 + AK + 4 Corners, it'll be legendary.

roadscholar
I hear you Tom. :D

THIS contains the listing of makes/models at pre-registration

Best of luck to Wallace too

And best of luck to Kirsten too. I haven't seen her or anyone else mention it but she's on the entry list.

Two of the 3 Alaska riders are on BMWs - the other is on an FJR :)

Ken looks like he's making an incredible ride already based on Tom's report. But he can ride 20hrs/day for a week at least (based on prior rallies). It's got to be like competing against Lance Armstrong to be riding against him. We'll have definitive proof that he's a cyborg when we hear that he heads to Madawaska :grin:

If he makes the 48 + AK + 4 Corners, it'll be legendary.

Don't forget about John Ryan, he is already legendary completing the UCC (Prudhoe Bay to Key West) in 88 hours. His body clock is different than ours. He only needed two hours of sleep even before he discovered motorcycles.

Looks to be a great rally. I too don't think it's as easy as many folks think. I think the real key in this rally is who can stay on the bike longer. (not always the case). This one will require multi BBG rides to win. Also as in EVERY IBR, it requires a bit of luck as well...

I'll be there at the finish to watch the riders come in.

I'm leaving tomorrow to head to San Francisco riding the Lincoln Highway the whole way from Illinois. Then south on the Pacific Coast highway with plans to be at the finish on Friday. I have a good friend riding in it and want to be there to see him in. Also have tickets to the finish banquet to see the award ceremony. I wish ALL the riders luck and safe riding.

Paul Mihalka

"I think the real key in this rally is who can stay on the bike longer" - and still be able to use his/her brain while doing it.

"...We'll have definitive proof that he's a cyborg when we hear that he heads to Madawaska..."

Since he didn't go to Blaine at the start, I think the 4 corners is out.

These guys/gals are just either stoopid or innnnnnssssaaaannnnne. Plus they apparently have a lot of vacation time.

These guys/gals are just either stoopid or innnnnnssssaaaannnnne. Plus they apparently have a lot of vacation time.

"insane" or "stupid" ?

These folks aren't average. They have an ability that many of us don't enjoy, and a few can't grasp.

russell_bynum

"insane" or "stupid" ?

These folks aren't average. They have an ability that many of us don't enjoy, and a few can't grasp.

+1

Funny, that's exactly how I describe rap music. :dopeslap:

I've ridden with (or 'against') Nancy Oswald during the Cape Fear rally a couple of times, and with a few of the other riders in the Void and Cape Fear. I agree wholeheartedly that they are highly motivated, special people. Some are more special than others (Jim Owen, fer instance).

I found out that I can outride Nancy if I flatten her tire first. (just kidding, just kidding!)

"...We'll have definitive proof that he's a cyborg when we hear that he heads to Madawaska..."

Unless he did & we don't know it - he's not displaying his Spot track. Or he could have stopped on the way back south.

I actually don't understand anyone who didn't go to Blaine. By definition they've decided not to do the 4 Corners. Regardless of whether it's a good idea or even a doable ride, by not going, you're irrevocably taking it off the plate. If you go to Blaine you keep your options open - you can always skip the 4 Corners bonus add-on later. But by not going to Blaine you close that option off & you can never get it back (try hitting it from San Ysidro & back to Ontario on the last day or so). I know it's a couple hours each way, but from a strategic point of view available options almost always are more useful than a lack of them.

Unless he did & we don't know it - he's not displaying his Spot track. Or he could have stopped on the way back south.

I actually don't understand anyone who didn't go to Blaine. By definition they've decided not to do the 4 Corners. Regardless of whether it's a good idea or even a doable ride, by not going, you're irrevocably taking it off the plate. If you go to Blaine you keep your options open - you can always skip the 4 Corners bonus

add-on later. But by not going to Blaine you close that option off & you can never get it back (try hitting it from San Ysidro & back to Ontario on the last day or so). I know it's a couple hours each way, but from a strategic point of view available options almost always are more useful than a lack of them.

The BMWLT site discussion says that he picked up Blaine after Salem Oregon before heading to Hyder. One of the Ironbutt Gurus on there has his spot track info and speaks with him from time to time.

Jim - Here is hoping you are comfortable and that you mend well and fast.

I second that.

Interesting comment by Jim: “I’ll never ride another rally bike without ABS again.”

He was riding a DL650.

Carol and I are leaving in a couple days to have at it a second time. We were bronze medalists in our first attempt. The '04 RT will turn over 100k mi. during this little bi-annual adventure.

We had a great time in '09 There's a ride report in my sig.

Looking forward to that odometer shot. Hope the ride is safe and fun. From what I've read the weather has had an effect.

Someone created a weather page for the IBR

and this, from ADV is cool...

"BTW, on www.sidestandup.com last night (6/21), the show host, Tom Lowdermilk, Mike Newton from the MTF, and I talked about 40 minutes about the IBR. The show is available for a free download via a podcast at the link above or iTunes.

----------------

Tim in Burien, WA"

One of the scorers stopped on his way south...and I was thrilled to see him and that classic bike of his...

i-wKmZf23-S.jpg

i-fJ995JW-M.jpg

Archived