IGNORED

Iron Butt Rally 6/20-7/1

Kathy R

Carol and I are safe in Ontario after our 2nd IBR. Had a BLAST! Finished the 48 states in only 10 days, got in at noon. The '04 RT turned over 100k. No bike problems. We only did 19 of 49 capitals, we'll have to see how the score works out...

Congratulations!

My wife and I did a few car rallies and there was quite a bit of strain during those, and they were only a couple of hours, or in one case, a weekend. I cannot imagine how that translates while doing a 48/10.

Glad to hear you are in safe and sound, and that the bike kept on ticking, right over the century mark.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

:clap:

Wow!

What a great journey.

Enjoyed the tale from the last IBR and look forward to this one.

Congratulations, you folks rock.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Wow!

What a great journey.

Enjoyed the tale from the last IBR and look forward to this one.

Congratulations, you folks rock.

+1 :clap:

from Leg 1 & Leg 2.

You can see the tracks slow down at night. You can also see that they didn't have much time on Leg 2 to get too far off the direct route to the checkpoint.

That is something else! :D

DavidEBSmith
Carol and I are safe in Ontario after our 2nd IBR. Had a BLAST! Finished the 48 states in only 10 days, got in at noon. The '04 RT turned over 100k. No bike problems. We only did 19 of 49 capitals, we'll have to see how the score works out...

Great news! You guys did seem to be having way too much fun in Jax. :)

Glenn Reed

Apparently Miss Kitty had a tire blow out. From the BMWBMW board -

"About 6miles out her rear tire blew out and shredded. Well she fell over. Walt was there and Nancy was able to ride the finish on someone else's bike

I forgot who's bike. She had been enjoying herself up until that point."

Congratulations! Regardless of how the scoring works out you've done what few of us can or have done. Glad to hear you made it safe, got your 48/10 & can finally relax a bit off the clock.

Safe ride home!

wow about Meese! :(

6 miles oF the finish - crap - poor miss kitty! :cry:

Kirstin will arrive within minutes of 10am, if the LA traffic allows

GO KT GO

Looks like Meese is out. Appears to have been in an accident near Fallon NV...let's keep him in our thoughts. Report is up on the IBA site.

DavidEBSmith

Now Kirsten needs to take a few minutes, let the adrenalin of the rush to the finish drain off, meticulously fill in her rally book, and check it 3 times, before she goes off to scoring. She has the potential of a really, really good finishing position.

I made it to the finish on my '10RT.

As I dismounted my bike in the finishers area (a bike with only 19,984 miles on it - and nearly half of those on the IBR), I observed a small wet area of FINAL DRIVE OIL on and insider the rear axle hole thingy. By morning it was more like a pool coming down the side. It was the outside seal and the local dealership had it fixed in about an hour. A tech told me I could have likely burned it out within 50 more miles or so. True or not, I was likely cutting it close! I have over 2 years left on the warranty and a 2400 mile ride home planned. We'll see how things go with that.

Congratulations on your finish Dean.

I am shocked about your low mileage failure.

Hope you and the bike arrive home together.

I would NOT call that a failure. I had the same seal go out on my 2005 R1200RT with 85,000 miles. I was finishing the MN 2000 and doing my routine walk around when getting gas, I saw it was beginning to leak. The final drive was fine, it was just a seal that went bad. Those things happen no matter where the seal is and/or what it is on.

Matts_12GS

Yep, my 05 GS ate one about 5000 miles ago at just over 40K. It's been fine since.

Or my drive is empty.

:dopeslap:

Now Kirsten needs to take a few minutes, let the adrenalin of the rush to the finish drain off, meticulously fill in her rally book, and check it 3 times, before she goes off to scoring. She has the potential of a really, really good finishing position.

Yes, she did!

The banquet was a wonderful experience.

Les is more

Congratulations to all of the finishers!!

But DANG!! KTsRidin--Kirsten--top woman and #6 over all in her first IBR!!

DOOOOOOOD! You ROCKED it!!!!!

:clap: WOW! Outstanding IBR and Kirsten - SIXTH PLACE in your very first big IBR :clap: So impressed with you and everyone!! Sad for folks who DNF but grateful all will be well.

Thoroughly enjoyed following along :D

Congrats to all participants.

Big kudos to all finishers.

Incredible efforts and a lifetime of memories.

DavidEBSmith

Tonight (July 5, 2011) on SideStand Up, the internet motorcycle radio road show, IBR winner Peter Behm, Curt Gran, Nancy Oswald, Mike Kneebone, and Kirsten Talken-Spalding. I guess they'll be discussing the 2011 IBR. Listen live 7-9 pm EDT or you can download the podcast later via iTunes or TalkShoe.

Shirley Sandra
Iron Butt Rally

I'm looking forward to all the tales coming out after June 20th.

:clap: Huge CHEER for KTsRidin. May she and everyone have a safe adventure. :clap:

Such a very amazing link!

Tonight (July 5, 2011) on SideStand Up, the internet motorcycle radio road show, IBR winner Peter Behm, Curt Gran, Nancy Oswald, Mike Kneebone, and Kirsten Talken-Spalding. I guess they'll be discussing the 2011 IBR. Listen live 7-9 pm EDT or you can download the podcast later via iTunes or TalkShoe.

I tried really hard to listen to the sidestand up show, but the audio quality was terrible. Do they always sound that bad? It seems like there are a ton of episodes, I can't imagine they don't have a decent microphone yet. /hijack

I have trouble listening to the show when the audio is good, just seems like an uninteresting ramble to me.

Steve

DavidEBSmith
I tried really hard to listen to the sidestand up show, but the audio quality was terrible. Do they always sound that bad?

That one was especially rough - I suspect because everybody was calling in from everywhere, I think including Tom. It's not a high-budget show that can set up digital studio lines across the country, it's pretty much one enthusiastic guy putting it together from scratch. If you get past the technical shortcomings, Tom puts together a lot of content that's really insightful and interesting and that you won't hear anywhere else. (And if you download the podcast, you can fast-forward through any parts of the show that don't interest you).

UPDATE: My final drive seal was replaced easily enough.

However, two days and 1000 miles later it failed AGAIN! ARGH. This time in Utah. A 125 mile tow and a 1.5 day wait later and the seal was replaced a second time.

I made it home to Michigan after that (about another 2000 miles) and this seal seems to be holding so far.

I'm putting together a roadside seal replacement kit. Doesn't seem too hard. My final drive hub is badly marred from all of the work they've done on it lately, so I'm thinking I might as well do this replacement myself if it happens again (warranty or not). It looks like the second seal might have failed due to overpressure (too much fluid), but it's tough to be sure since neither dealer measured how much came out when they drained it(despite my pleas for them to do this).

Oh well. That's life I guess. At least I got through the rally in one piece.

I made it to the finish on my '10RT.

As I dismounted my bike in the finishers area (a bike with only 19,984 miles on it - and nearly half of those on the IBR), I observed a small wet area of FINAL DRIVE OIL on and insider the rear axle hole thingy. By morning it was more like a pool coming down the side. It was the outside seal and the local dealership had it fixed in about an hour. A tech told me I could have likely burned it out within 50 more miles or so. True or not, I was likely cutting it close! I have over 2 years left on the warranty and a 2400 mile ride home planned. We'll see how things go with that.

It was an epic event and I am humbled to have been a part of it. Congratulations go out to all the riders, DNF or not, this was tough!!!

As a rookie I had a lot to learn on the fly. The three rules I laid out before even leaving home:

1. Be Safe

2. Have Fun

3. Do My Best

remained my guiding principle at every decision point... and there were a LOT of them.

But alas, I didn't follow David's wise advice:

Now Kirsten needs to take a few minutes, let the adrenalin of the rush to the finish drain off, meticulously fill in her rally book, and check it 3 times, before she goes off to scoring.

I went through my rally book twice and thought I had gotten everything right, but there were 250 point left on the table that shouldn't have happened (I lost a day in leg three going to Austin, TX and wrote down the wrong days on the last five capital pictures). Would have/should have/could have and the points would have had me in 5th place... but SERIOUSLY... 6th place, heck, a top ten finish! Who would have thought it!!!

Thanks to you all for following and your support. It really meant and means a lot :)

Ride report to follow!

Archived