IGNORED

Torre, UT ride???

KBMWGT

I have reservations at the North Rim on Sunday/Monday after our stay in Torrey.....any special places i need to go enroute?

Yes.

Possibilities include:

Via Boulder Mtn and Escalante on UT-12: The Burr Trail (but you might do this as a day ride from Torrey), Bryce Canyon National Park, Zion National Park.

Via Hanksville and UT-95: Natural Bridges National Monument, Monument Valley, Valley of the Gods (dirt, marginal for RT, but if you are on a GS it might be nice).

Jack Herbst

Rubys at the entrance to Bryce Canyon is a great place to spend a night. Majestic lodge, great restaurants, Indoor and outdoor heated pools, hot tubs, gas,etc.etc. and by all means Bryce Canyon. Good place to regroup. Kanab is an intersting little town to make a stop. From Torrey to West Rim of the canyon you will love all that is in between. If you have time take a right at Mt. Caramel and visit Zion.

Jack

I'm hoping the roads are open over the Sierras.

They should be, but with the Winter we're having this year it's hard to guess. I-80 will likely be open and usable, even if there may still be snow at the side of the road.

I haven't seen anyone else from the Bay area responding here, but it's early yet. Keep an eye out for them, you might be able to hook up with someone for the ride over, or get more specific info, if you want to.

My situation for May is still up in the air, but it seems unlikely I'll be able to make it myself this year.

I have ridden the Moki Dugway and must say that any rider that can make it to Torrey can certainly handle this stretch of road. Yes, there are switchbacks, but they are big, wide, nearly level, switchbacks. The road isn't that steep and you can take it slow if you feel the need. I saw motorhomes, Harley's, Goldwing's, two-up, pulling trailers on this road, no problems. I have even passed a 60 passenger tour bus going up the Moki. So, I think you could do it too.

If you are near the Moki, it is certainly worth riding at least once.

Just my unsolicited 2¢.

I'll try. I'm going to be on it. I sure hope some tourist bus does not come barreling down the hill and knock me off the dugway.

dc

Archived