IGNORED

Torre, UT ride???

KBMWGT

So is there any coordination of this event?

I see the website with the count down and the motels but how long is the group staying? Arrival?

Is it arrive Friday leave Monday? I know its all loose planning but what can I expect?

I talked my wife into going (been there 3 times before) and she is looking forward to it.

I'll be leaving the San Jose(CA) area on Thurs (I guess), stop in Tonapah, NV and then Torrey on Fri.

Will anyone else be joining me?

Welcome.

The 'formal' Torrey event is from Friday evening until Sunday morning. We always gather around the pool at the Chuckwagon around 6, sometimes there are refreshments there, sometimes not. Usually somebody will semi-organize a ride or two on Saturday, smell the roses, newbies, maniacs etc. Most people leave on Sunday morning.

That's pretty much it, we gather around the CW cabins on Friday and Saturday evenings for informal lie telling, newbies are hunted down and socialized.

A number of people arrive earlier in the week and we usually get together for rides and dinner.

...newbies are hunted down and socialized.

If possible. I hear it said though, that noob tastes like chicken. I didn't ask 'em how they knew, but I never met any of the ones that couldn't be socialized. :eek:

Mrs Whip and I get there Monday or Tuesday night and stay till the following Monday.

If there is some interest in a newbie ride/tour I would be happy to show y'all around one of the greatest places to ride in the world.

12 south over Boulder, up and back on the Burr Trail, The Grand Staircase, Escalante for lunch at the Outfitters, then back and up to Mount Gleno, Fish Lake finishing up at the Chuckwagon in time for dinner.

Keep in mind that this isn't a "Rally." It's a gathering of friends. "But I don't know anyone on this board and won't have any friends there," you say. Yes you will. About 80 of them the split second your front wheel turns into the parking lot at the Chuckwagon, or Days Inn, or anywhere else in town. You are among friends and you will be treated as if we've known you for years.

When it comes to rides, they sort of just happen. Nothing organized. If you hear someone saying they're headed somewhere, just ask to tag along. Unless they're on a personal errand, the answer is always "Yes." But be sure to check the pace they intend on riding. "Ride your own ride" is a good mantra to follow, so hooking up with three fast guys or three slow guys, if you're the polar opposite, may leave you wanting, or out of breath.

Whip has given you a list of some of the basic rides. There's also UT-12 down to UT-89 and then back up to Torrey through Circleville and Koosharem. And there are two long rides as well. UT-72 to UT-10 to UT-31 (Huntington Canyon which, truth be told is a fantastic road but better in the fall when the colors are exploding), then take the Fish Lake loop off UT-72 on your way back (total about 305 miles). The second is UT-24 to UT-95 down to Blanding and back. About 340 miles. If you want to push it, once in Blanding keep going north to Monecito, then go east for 17 miles and you'll cross into Colorado. The extra miles aren't exactly scenic, but you get to brag that you made it all the way to Colorado. Total about 450 mi.

Unfortunately, I won't make it to the Spring Torrey event, but will be there in the Fall. And don't worry about that "noobs taste like chicken" comment. That's what Gleno used to say. But he could BBQ anything.

We were noobs last spring. Had a great time. We were hardly off of our bikes when we were taken under wing and introduced around. Met some new friends there that we have continued to stay in contact with and enjoy riding with.

Alrighty then....I guess me and the mrs are in.

I'll check with her as to whether we stay the extra night sunday. May head out and take it easier on the ride home.

Can't leave until Thurs though since she will be working the night before.

As for being a Noob.....well I am here but have been riding for 39 years...about time I took the training wheels off though. :D

Mrs Whip and I get there Monday or Tuesday night and stay till the following Monday.

If there is some interest in a newbie ride/tour I would be happy to show y'all around one of the greatest places to ride in the world.

12 south over Boulder, up and back on the Burr Trail, The Grand Staircase, Escalante for lunch at the Outfitters, then back and up to Mount Gleno, Fish Lake finishing up at the Chuckwagon in time for dinner.

Or if you want take some pictures, let Jan lead you on a ride.

Unfortunately, I won't make it to the Spring Torrey event

Where did you get the idea you had a choice to not attend?

Don't make us come to Washington and put a whooping on you.

sFi_boink3.gif

The FIRST Spring Torry post... and it took a new guy to post it.

You are gonna fit right in.

Congratulations, and I am glad to hear your wife is coming too. Many wives attend and it is a generally civilized affair.

You might also want to confer with others about the best approach routes... (might as well you started off the right foot). (And fine dining options), and (lodging choices), and (breakfast rituals), and... etc.

Welcome on board.

Joe Frickin' Friday
ChuckWagon all booked up.

I'm 8th on the waiting list

I called a couple of weeks ago, and they said the waiting list was unusually short this year. If you're 8th, that means I'm somewhere between #1 and #7. :grin:

ChuckWagon all booked up...

I have been to two Spring Torrey gatherings, staying both times at the Capitol Reef. It can best be described as rather "basic". Unless your wife is into "roughing it", I'd suggest staying somewhere else. If you want to spend a few more bucks (you did say your wife was coming, didn't you?), try the Torrey Schoolhouse B&B. I stayed there this past summer with my wife on our way home from the UnRally. It's very nice, the owner's very hospitable and only a two-minute (maximum) walk from the Chuckwagon. We stayed in the "Writing Room", something like $110/night, incl breakfast obviously. The link's below

http://www.torreyschoolhouse.com/about/index.shtml

ChuckWagon all booked up.

I'm 8th on the waiting list

The Capital Reef Inn and Boulder View are both within walking distance of the CW and usually get some of the group. Both are also closer to Killer's house (the other major gathering spot) and Cafe Diablo (popular for a nice dinner). Capital Reef Inn is a common breakfasting spot, however, most seem to prefer the Boulder View to stay at.

It's been a couple of years, but my recollection is that the Boulder View is basic but comfortable.

We do discourage reservation hopping, as it gives us a bad name with the locals. 8 is likely good at the CW, but the action doesn't take place until the last week or so. So you won't know until the last minute.

ChuckWagon all booked up...

If you want to spend a few more bucks (you did say your wife was coming, didn't you?), try the Torrey Schoolhouse B&B. I stayed there this past summer with my wife on our way home from the UnRally. It's very nice, the owner's very hospitable and only a two-minute (maximum) walk from the Chuckwagon. We stayed in the "Writing Room", something like $110/night, incl breakfast obviously. The link's below

http://www.torreyschoolhouse.com/about/index.shtml

The SchoolHouse is by far the best place to stay in the area. The social scene of the B&B is pleasant. The breakfast is great. The problem from the BMWST Torrey event point of view is that you won't be out of breakfast early enough. Most rides get going around 9. We weren't out until nearly 10. You might call and ask as that has been a while and things could have changed. Of course you could forgo their breakfast and just c'mon over, but that defeats at least part of the purpose of staying at the nicer place.

Twice I managed to get in at the Chuckwagon, other times I stayed at the Boulder View which is OK but is not the Chuckwagon. At one time I reserved about one year ahead, and of course I had to cancel. I canceled a month ahead, not two days. For breakfast I have a pastry or croissant with a hot chocolate at the grocery store.

I am not sure if I will be there Thursday or Friday evening but if I just want to pitch my tent to sleep in do I need to reserve somewhere or is there always someplace available for a tent?

I am not sure if I will be there Thursday or Friday evening but if I just want to pitch my tent to sleep in do I need to reserve somewhere or is there always someplace available for a tent?

Never mind, I just got the last cabin at the Trading Post.

OK, I'll try to make it this spring. I just called. I'm no. 9 on the wait list at the Chuckwagon...

I called last week so I'm somewhere between you and Mitch.

Wow, guess it's time to fire up the reservation scheme, no registration is necessary but some people like to do it anyway. Nice to see who is coming from where and where they are staying.

uhhh, just wanted to be sure you knew... the trading post cabins are nice, but no bathroom. You did know this... right?

uhhh, just wanted to be sure you knew... the trading post cabins are nice, but no bathroom. You did know this... right?

Yes sir, outside plumbing and I go together well. I spend the last week in April every year at the Archview in Moab in one of the basic cabins so the cabins at the Trading Post are actually a step up.

Ok well finally I'm seeing some talk about torre. I actually got the time off for the May ride but not I'll probably have to cancel cuz I have a state exam on the 21st. Anyway is there a diffrence on which on to go, I mean weather wise or anything else wise. I might be able to do the september run.

It's been a L O N G time since my last visit to Tori :D

OK, then when is the next visit?

I have been on the waiting list long enough that I should be at the CW this May, I missed the UN and miss the west and ya'll. I miss the long ride. Fingers and toes crossed.

done a couple of springs, will be in for Fall this year. On a personal mission to do Huntington Canyon and maybe some dirt. I'll bring the blue snuggie.

oh... and Phil, somebody told me the BIG engine guard for the XC might be a good idea.... :)

Both Spring and Fall Torrey events are in "shoulder" seasons. In Spring most of the winter seasonal road closures in the high mountain west have not yet opened. There is still plenty of great riding in the region however as most roads are not subject to seasonal closure.

Spring may include lots of wildflower and even some cactus blooms, if you know where to look. Days are typically mild, with cool evenings. We have had severe snow in the Rockies that has made getting there a problem. I would say this is about a one in ten chance, or less.

In Fall all roads are open, fall color is typically peaking in the mountains. Nights may get below freezing. Days are typically fine and dry. Again, typically. A storm is always possible. There can be snow and ice.

Everything is about elevation. Torrey is middling high, but some areas you may visit or pass through on the way are real high, or quite low. Therefore the range of conditions varies greatly.

The only route into Torrey that does not involve some significant elevation is up US-95 into Hanksville, and then over. All the other approaches will get you to about 8000 - 11000'.

I can't say which is better. Usually they are both great.

"We have had severe snow in the Rockies that has made getting there a problem. I would say this is about a one in ten chance, or less."

Unless you have to come from the north. Two Torreys, two snow delays. Nice ride down for my first spring Torrey in 2004, but on the way home was held up in Butte, MT for half a day waiting for the temp to get above freezing and melt the snow on I-15. Snow and closed road over Monida pass for fall Torrey 2007 (bike on a trailer that time), followed by a beautiful week on the bike in southern Utah and northern Arizona. Snow and ice on the road on our way out (still owe Larry a beer for helping load the RT in freezing rain).

I got the week of May 16 to 22 off this year, so I plan on coming down with more flexibility. I do have to rebuild the rear drive first, just waiting for the garage to warm up enough to work in there.

Mike Cassidy

Well, people on the waiting list should be moving up.

I just e-mailed Michelle and cancelled my reservation for May.

Maybe next year!

Chris

Well, people on the waiting list should be moving up.

I just e-mailed Michelle and cancelled my reservation for May.

Maybe next year!

Chris

Dang!

I can't EVER remember..what's the weekend for spring?

I'd say the Boulder View is the second best choice if the CW is full. Hansons can give a review, I think.

... and Phil, somebody told me the BIG engine guard for the XC might be a good idea.... :)

Chris, you'll be fine if you stay at the lower elevations. The pine trees and their troublesome pine cones are, for the most part, found only at the higher elevations.

whistling.gif

... and Phil, somebody told me the BIG engine guard for the XC might be a good idea.... :)

Chris, you'll be fine if you stay at the lower elevations. The pine trees and their troublesome pine cones are, for the most part, found only at the higher elevations.

whistling.gif

Don't you have a bicycle to ride with the forks on backwards or something?

whistling.gif

Need I remind you both that this is 2011 and we all should be a little nicer. Just because Edd and I are trailer tr...I mean Toy Hauling peeps, doesn't mean we don't know our bicycle mechanics!

As for me, this year I think we are going to be up there Tuesday through Monday morning. I am working now on figuring out the details. Since it is Spring we are bringing the minions and will have a Toy Hauler for all the stuff.

Tommy

I've actually been riding it a lot lately, but I may need to stop. My conditioning is getting worse in direct relation to my total miles traveled decreasing. :eek:

It's been a L O N G time since my last visit to Tori :D

OK, then when is the next visit?

I have been on the waiting list long enough that I should be at the CW this May, I missed the UN and miss the west and ya'll. I miss the long ride. Fingers and toes crossed.

:clap::thumbsup::wave:

It's been far far far too long! I hope to see you there.

"We have had severe snow in the Rockies that has made getting there a problem. I would say this is about a one in ten chance, or less."

first spring trip over...storm put me off the road in Montrose. Next day, my grand plans to go up and over 550 and down to durango and then west and north again into Utah got derailed. Got some rerouting input from here... 550 to 62 to 145 to 141 to 491 and into Monticello. Started snowing like crazy on me on 62...my windshield froze. Without the Gerbings, I would have frozen. Roads were fine but it was breezy!

304186000_B8k8q-L.jpg

shot a pic back to the east/NE after coming down out of the mountains in CO and this is what I saw...

304186060_sfVY6-L.jpg

Love all of CO. One day....

Well although I'm 8th on the CW list i booked at HoJos CapitolReef. That's down a few around the corner on the way into the Park. I had stayed at the Days Inn before but thought the one with better views would nice if we don't make it into CW.

Anyone know what the weather is like coming from Cali that time of year? When I've riden there before its always been in Jul-Aug.

Well although I'm 8th on the CW list i booked at HoJos CapitolReef. That's down a few around the corner on the way into the Park. I had stayed at the Days Inn before but thought the one with better views would nice if we don't make it into CW.

Anyone know what the weather is like coming from Cali that time of year? When I've riden there before its always been in Jul-Aug.

My money is you will get in at the Chuckwagon at the #8 spot.

Weather in the Spring should be fine coming from CA.

Yep, what Tom said. You'll most likely get a room and the weather will be fine but wear your Gerbing. Possibly some wind in spots but nothing too terrible.

I'd love to know that we can make it as you would have a ride partner then but it will most likely be a last minute thing for us.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Possibly some wind in spots but nothing too terrible.

"Some wind." Yeah. Sure.

When the weekend in Torrey is over, follow me back east across Nebraska. Then come talk to me about wind. :grin:

Archived