IGNORED

Torre, UT ride???

KBMWGT

Possibly some wind in spots but nothing too terrible.

"Some wind." Yeah. Sure.

When the weekend in Torrey is over, follow me back east across Nebraska. Then come talk to me about wind. :grin:

Or Kansas. Take your pick

Possibly some wind in spots but nothing too terrible.

"Some wind." Yeah. Sure.

When the weekend in Torrey is over, follow me back east across Nebraska. Then come talk to me about wind. :grin:

Or Kansas. Take your pick

Or southern Colorado. It got even more interesting when it started raining mud...

P1020556.JPG

As a relative newbie here, what's the campground situation usually like that May weekend in Torrey? So-so? Overflowing? Who knows?

Work and family issues during May will make this a last-minute, grab-the-tent-and-ride decision. I've 4-WD camped in the desert and forest around Capitol Reef lots of times, but never stayed at one of the pay campgrounds.

The Fruita campground in the park will almost certainly be full. You can camp at Sand Creek RV which is within walking distance of the CW or at Thousand Lakes RV just a little west of town. There is also a Forest Service campground near Bicknell but it has no facilities.

Noob here.....

I'm scared of you REAL bikers. Just don't show me your tatoos. ;)

Actually looking forward to the ride and meeting up with new folks.

Noob here.....

I'm scared of you REAL bikers. Just don't show me your tatoos. ;)

If Steve McKinley starts taking off his clothes, better run!

I am going to have to take a serious look at this. I'm thinking that I will be able to get a long ride in May.

I will look at road maps to see what route I could take. My first thought is thru' Williams and then Marble canyon, and come up from the south.

I'll then need to leave to the north somehow. Road suggestions appreciated.

(Los Angeles to Torrey)

dc

I am going to have to take a serious look at this. I'm thinking that I will be able to get a long ride in May.

I will look at road maps to see what route I could take. My first thought is thru' Williams and then Marble canyon, and come up from the south.

(Los Angeles to Torrey)

dc

I-15 through Vegas and up to St. George, UT. Exit at Hwy 9. Go through Hurricane (pronounced Her-kin), UT, and watch for the sign for the continuation of UT-9. Take it to Zion and out to Mt. Carmel Jct, where it intesects with UT-89. Go north to UT-12. Turn right to Torrey. Absolutely awesome scenery once you get through St. George.

(Los Angeles to Torrey)

dc

Hope to see you!

It's been a L O N G time since my last visit to Tori :D

OK, then when is the next visit?

I have been on the waiting list long enough that I should be at the CW this May, I missed the UN and miss the west and ya'll. I miss the long ride. Fingers and toes crossed.

:clap::thumbsup::wave:

It's been far far far too long! I hope to see you there.

It has been a long time since I've tasted rattlesnake :grin::thumbsup:

I have that photo hanging here on the wall of you two, Tool, Philly, Sue & Signman and the Tetons.

OK, I'll try to make it this spring. I just called. I'm no. 9 on the wait list at the Chuckwagon...
I have been on the waiting list long enough that I should be at the CW this May, I missed the UN and miss the west and ya'll. I miss the long ride. Fingers and toes crossed.

If Paul & Kathy are going, I want to go... :grin:

OK, I'll try to make it this spring. I just called. I'm no. 9 on the wait list at the Chuckwagon...

If Paul & Kathy are going, I want to go... :grin:

You had better wanna go! :)

Looks like we can't make the fall gathering...too many other travel plans around that time...so I think I'll see if I can find a room for May. If only I knew the dates.......

Looks like we can't make the fall gathering...too many other travel plans around that time...so I think I'll see if I can find a room for May. If only I knew the dates.......

http://www.sleepingrainbow.com/bmwst/torreylodging.htm

:wave:

Awreddy sent a rez request to the Boulder View...down there you don't have to put up with all the quiet pipes in the morning. Besides, CW is full. I think I'll come in on Thursday early afternoon.

Awreddy sent a rez request to the Boulder View...down there you don't have to put up with all the quiet pipes in the morning. Besides, CW is full. I think I'll come in on Thursday early afternoon.

Will be good to see you though we may have to finish that game of scrabble ;)

Thanks FB. I think that will be my route on the return. My plan is from Los Angeles, Grand Canyon, Marble Canyon, then Bryce from 89 thru' Mt Carmel Junction.

Then up to Torrey from the south.

Then return on 24, 62 and 89 down to Zion.

Maybe 6 days.

dc

Then return on 24, 62 and 89 down to Zion.

Maybe 6 days.

dc

That's a nice return route. UT-24 to mile marker 37, then left on Browns Lane which drops you into Koosharem and 62. Take that through to Centerville and on to UT-89 and that'll take you to Zion.

That's a nice return route. UT-24 to mile marker 37, then left on Browns Lane
Make sure you turn left - the road to the right is a bear!

Will be good to see you though we may have to finish that game of scrabble ;)

Oh, good idea, I think I had a bingo coming when I bailed on FB.

• 3 weeks later...

We're in the middle of moving to St George Utah. I've been off doing a lot of Dual Sport riding and thinking I'd like to get up to Torrey for Spring Torrey and bring the KTM instead of the BMW. I have ridden every road around Torrey over the years and I'd like to try some of the trails. Is anyone doing any dirt this Spring? My KTM is street legal. Anyone have any GPS tracks of the trails in the area?

The Chuck Wagon is full and not many rooms left. I stayed at the Sandstone last year and liked it a lot. West side of town, indoor pool and spa (hot tub), good resteraunt on site and a great bakery and coffee shop less than two hundred feet away.

They are closed for the winter but will be open in May. Leave a message and they will call you back for the reservationwithin a day or two. Nice folks who also ride. Single Queen bed is $68 per nite. Ph. 1-435-425-3775.

I will be arriving on the 18th.

Jack

Thanks, We're right in the middle of moving here and going "crazy". But after we get settled I'll get serious about figuring out my plans.

I'm riding the Bar 10 Grand Canyon area May 1 & 2. Maybe I'll plan on riding the high country in the summer months.

• 2 weeks later...

I plan on arriving sometime near the Torrey weekend. One night in Kingman, and after a look at the Grand Canyon, one night in Page. Then I was thinking of going thru' Bryce Canyon, and on to Torrey.

But now I think, from Page, I should head east, toward Mexican Hat, and some Monument Valley, then Natural Bridges, then west to Halls Landing, the boat to Bullfrog. Then up either Notom or Burr Trail, to 24, then Torrey, or to Boulder, then Torrey.

Any experienced ideas on those roads?

Thanks

dc

The Notom road, been a while, I think it's dirt. The Burr Trail from the east through the park, to the park boundary on the west is dirt.

If you want to go through Monument Valley, come up 95 to Hanksville. You won't be disappointed. If you want to do the paved portion of the Burr Trail from Boulder as a day ride from Torrey, or on your way home, that works. Bryce and Zion are both nice.

If you take the ferry, stay on 276 to 95.

I have to say the Moki Dugway looks very scenic and photogenic, but far too hairy for a staunch conservative like myself.

Maybe I could go out and get a photo.

Thanks for the info.

dc

I have to say the Moki Dugway looks very scenic and photogenic, but far too hairy for a staunch conservative like myself.

Maybe I could go out and get a photo.

Thanks for the info.

dc

Many folk have ridden on RTs and I haven't heard of a mishap, but on the other hand, I don't think it is for every rider. I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to ride it. Not all of those very tight switchbacks are paved. It's steep and technical. However, if you are coming from Monument Valley to Torrey, it is on your way. You will need to detour through Bluff to avoid it, adding hours to your day.

Well, it's along my way. I would rather ride up it, than down, but that's the way I'm going.

I suppose there is gas at Mexican Hat, and also Bullfrog?

dc

On the Mokee Dugway the dirt part is coming from the south going uphill to the top. The north side going down to rt. 95 is fully paved.

A bunch of us got gas at bullfrog about 8 years ago, assume nothing has changed. Guess someone should mention the sand as you get off the ferry. Assume it's still there as well.

A bunch of us got gas at bullfrog about 8 years ago, assume nothing has changed. Guess someone should mention the sand as you get off the ferry. Assume it's still there as well.

Oh memories! First visit to Torrey, ride led by Dick Frantz, south on rt. 95. I hauling a$$ on my R1100RT and Bounce (Russell Bynum) passing me at at least 20 plus, with Lisa on the back taking pictures. Trip back via Bullfrog. What a ride!

P.S. Russell, where are ya?

Paul, they passed me and were out of sight in about 3 minutes. Glad I got to ride with some great guys who no longer are around.

As you are in the area, one road you should not miss is the "Mokee Dugway", rt. 261. It connects rt. 163 near Mexican Hat with rt. 95. Yes, it is part dirt climbing up from the south, but the hairpins are paved. Can be ridden with any bike with any load.

Lok it up here: http://www.midwestroads.com/otherstates/mokidugway/

Good link, thanks Paul. With that interesting bit I may change my routing up to Torrey. I usually go Flagstaff, Page, Kanab, Bryce Etc.

Jack

...I usually go Flagstaff, Page, Kanab, Bryce Etc.

2 routes from near Page to Kanab:

US89 - the freeway.

US89 Alt - the scenic route. Beautiful road!

Done them both many times. 89 alt. is also the route to the North rim of the Grand Canyon. Just a short way south. Good lunch stop. California Condor area. I have seen many of them or the same one many times at the lodge on the North Rim. Good overnight in the cabins at the lodge.

Jack

My plan was the 89 Alt. But now it's head east from Page, to Monument Valley, Mexican Hat, the Moki Dugway, Natural Bridges, Halls Land & Bullfrog, then Hanksville.

Somehow, I may have to break that up into two days.

dc

• 2 weeks later...

I've been plotting things out and so far I'm at 3200 miles one way :grin:

Making more than a few stops along the way; one for tires, one a work stop at Dogwood Therapy Services , a couple stops to visit nephews/family and planning a day at the Grand Canyon. I am at 16 days right now.

This Is Going To Be So Much Fun!

(this time I'm not going to loose my fanny pack :D )

Archived