IGNORED

Ouray V - August 20-23

Twisties

markgoodrich

All this talk of parachutes, EMS, photos of the Road of Death, etc, sent me to the Google; for what it's worth, jeep tours over Black Bear are $120 per person. What I don't quite understand is that if those guys, in those high center of gravity "buses" can do it, why can't my Camry make it? Actually, I may just get UNDER the bed that day, and stay there until I hear who needs funeral arrangements, whether the rescue copter crashed, etc.

Ouray Riverside Inn Jeep Rentals

This place, previously linked, says this about Black Bear:

Can I take the Jeep over Black Bear?

Many Jeepers that frequent the area know about Black Bear pass. It offers unparalleled beauty but intolerable risk. The trail is not particularly technical from an off-roading perspective but it is "in the clouds" as far as shoulder drop-off is concerned. There is no room for error. Therefore, we strongly recommend against this trail to anyone - even in their own machines. Fortunately for those who wish to see it and traverse its sharp switchbacks to Telluride (thousands of feet below), there are a number of professional tour companies in the area that take this trip almost daily.

Doesn't sound like a prohibition to me. Just sayin'.

markgoodrich
Ouray Riverside Inn Jeep Rentals

This place, previously linked, says this about Black Bear:

Can I take the Jeep over Black Bear?

Many Jeepers that frequent the area know about Black Bear pass. It offers unparalleled beauty but intolerable risk. The trail is not particularly technical from an off-roading perspective but it is "in the clouds" as far as shoulder drop-off is concerned. There is no room for error. Therefore, we strongly recommend against this trail to anyone - even in their own machines. Fortunately for those who wish to see it and traverse its sharp switchbacks to Telluride (thousands of feet below), there are a number of professional tour companies in the area that take this trip almost daily.

Doesn't sound like a prohibition to me. Just sayin'.

A'ight, I'm going to reserve my decision about whether to try the pass until I see if I can successfully negotiate the overpasses in Lubbock.

markgoodrich

Whee,!, packing stuff, already been to Costco, the Guacamole King is ready to please the crowd Friday night! Poor Whip, the only chips I'm bringing are organic.

Am extremely pleased to announce the heat index in Austin right now is 112 degrees, and will be similarly horrible the entire time we're in CO. Yay!

Since we'll be in the car, and lotta folks are on motorcycles, let me know what and how much of anything you would appreciate having delivered. Just post here, I'll see it as late as tomorrow night in ABQ.

Whee,!, packing stuff, already been to Costco, the Guacamole King is ready to please the crowd Friday night! Poor Whip, the only chips I'm bringing are organic.

Am extremely pleased to announce the heat index in Austin right now is 112 degrees, and will be similarly horrible the entire time we're in CO. Yay!

Since we'll be in the car, and lotta folks are on motorcycles, let me know what and how much of anything you would appreciate having delivered. Just post here, I'll see it as late as tomorrow night in ABQ.

I'd ask you to pick up and deliver two helium-filled ballons, but I don't want to tax your hybrid's propulsion system.

hamster-wheel-race.jpg

markgoodrich

I'd ask you to pick up and deliver two helium-filled ballons, but I don't want to tax your hybrid's propulsion system.

hamster-wheel-race.jpg

I need to change my sig line, change it to read "Be kind to everyone (except Eddddddd; kick his a$$)...."

The hiker sub-thread:

Steve's 1150 Plus 50 suggests the newish Ouray Perimeter Trail, about 4 miles, which sounds great, if a little short. I've been looking at some of the trail sites for the area. Any other hikers in the group with knowledge or desires for particular trails? Only thing I know of from experience is that Yankee Boy Basin is beautiful.

We used to live in Durango and are familiar with a number of hikes in the area. We still have our hiking guide books as well, and will throw them in if there is room. Basically there is hiking of all levels in the area. You can select altitude, length and steepness to suit. We can talk Friday.

Firefight911

That is just not good, Larry!! Sorry to hear but, please, take care of the pooches!

We're in Steamboat. Fantastic ride through Flaming Gorge today. Also, Mirror Lake was amazing.

We are holed up in the Bristol Hotel in downtown Stamboat. HIGHLY recommend it along with Mazzola's, the Italian restaurant downstairs from the hotel. Amazing food!

Tomorrow, Cripple Creek!

Made it to Clovis NM. Should be in Ouray by 5

Wish I was headed that way. Instead I will be hauling a truck and trailer load to College Station. With any luck, I will sweat off as many pounds as I add drinking beer at the Dixie Chicken.

Ride safe and have a good time!

Man Whip! Are you on the bike or cruising in the A/C? I biked home from west Texas yesterday and the heat really put the hurt on me for about seven hours.

Just crossed into southeastern Colorado. Still trying to get used to the wonderful weather. First time in weeks that my shirt wasn't stuck to me.

Firefight911
Just crossed into southeastern Colorado. Still trying to get used to the wonderful weather. First time in weeks that my shirt wasn't stuck to me.

That's happened only as a result of you not wearing the 2T kiddie shirts you insist on wearing.

"Ooh, look at me and my biceps. Ooh, I'm going to pump you up!"

That's happened only as a result of you not wearing the 2T kiddie shirts you insist on wearing.

Gonna give him Amelia's hand-me-ups?

Firefight911

Pikes Peak is in the bag. We are now awaiting the repairs to the truck. Leadfoot McGhee blew the exhaust off the collector pipe and the shop is affecting repairs as we speak.

Can't wait to see everyone tomorrow night!!!!

Firefight911
We are now awaiting the repairs to the truck...

I didn't know BMW made trucks!!! :dopeslap:

Lest we forget that the Germans owned Dodge for a while!

All better after the repairs. Pipe came off at the collector. Clamp was unable to provide enough force to hold pipe properly so it is now welded. Not te first time this has happened.

Firefight911

Over 500 pics so far. You're gonna have to look at Facebook for some snippets or wait for the ride tale as we have no way of loading the photos as we only have our iPhones. Sorry!

No need to go to the spa for a dermabrasion treatment. Just ride your mountain bike in Salida. :P

Eddd man, you OK? No more slidin' in Salida. Where were you? Were you on that little mountain just East of downtown, the road looks kinda steep. Got any pictures? :)

No pics and I'm fine. I didn't even think about bring my camera since I just wanted a little exercise after driving the truck all day.

I rode the bike on US 50 east and then explored some roads up into the hills. I could get too far off road as I hadn't changed the tires from the more street/urban trail tires that are on it, to the more aggressive off road tires I brought along in thr truck.

Firefight911

Ouray - birthplace of Kimi Knievel.

Ouray - the changing of the guard with Whip being spotted in a hybrid

Ouray - Eddd didn't leave me!

Ouray - Where did Janet go? We just left the staging area.

Ouray - where motorcyclists wear boots and David wears ballerina shoes.

This ride tale is going to be epic!!!

Okay, this really happened! Guacamole dip was fantastic! Thanks Mark.

markgoodrich
Some of the dirt bikers at Engineer pass.

engineer.jpg

Who is that guy behind those Foster Grants?

Chris, that's Nelly Savalas, Telly's younger (but barely) cousin. He's one of several sissies who rode motorcycles to 12,800 feet. One member of the Ouray party went to the top of a different pass, a pass known as Blue Lakes Pass, elevation over 13,000 feet. Using just that: feet. That person is a very, very manly man. There was a time in this person's life when he could find his keys.

The woman in the photo, by the way, is not a sissy, nor is she manly in any sense of the word. She is The Janet.

Lessee...

1200 dollar immaculate BMW suit

500 dollar unscratched Arai dirtbike helmet

300 dollar boots

100 dollar camelback

59 cent underwear

I gots a good idea who we be talkin' 'bout... :grin:

Looks like good fun tho....

MB>

Firefight911
Lessee...

1200 dollar immaculate BMW suit

500 dollar unscratched Arai dirtbike helmet

300 dollar boots

100 dollar camelback

59 cent underwear

I gots a good idea who we be talkin' 'bout... :grin:

Looks like good fun tho....

MB>

And the only one who rode a bike weighing over 400 pounds all the way with them sissy bikes!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

The woman in the photo, by the way, is not a sissy, nor is she manly in any sense of the word. She is The Janet.

AKA The Janimal.

AKA The Janimal.

Janimal: "Bob, I don't know this bike or these roads so I want you to keep me in site today".

Quarter mile up the Engineer Pass Trail: she's half a mile ahead of everybody and Dave Hanson is airing down his tyres in an effort to try and keep up with her - he can't. (She's riding Whip's WR450 for the first time)

AKA The Janimal.

Janimal: "Bob, I don't know this bike or these roads so I want you to keep me in site today".

Quarter mile up the Engineer Pass Trail: she's half a mile ahead of everybody and Dave Hanson is airing down his tyres in an effort to try and keep up with her - he can't. (She's riding Whip's WR450 for the first time)

Loose-Lose

:wave:

markgoodrich

I need a photo of Whip in my Camry, please, as soon as possible. I can't remember who took it. Also, if anyone has a photo of Dave's garage queen IN the garage, I need that, too. Tucked back behind all the other bikes would be fine.

Please email to marcosgoodrich"at"gmail.com

Got to Ouray today and went to jeep rental place, at Best Western Inn, only to be told that we didn't reserve a Rubicon. Well now, my reservat

ion confirmation said I had one and I called to confirm.

Then the story changed to "A big buck client rented it yesterday so you lost your reservation."

I lost my cool, called them A$$H**les, and went directly to the Chamber of Commerce and picked up a complaint form.

Word to the wise if you are in Ouray and want to rent a jeep. Run as fast as you can from these folks.

Did go to another place and got a Jeep and did Yankee Boy this afternoon and early evening. Pizza at the Stagecoach and all is well.

Archived