IGNORED

Ouray V - August 20-23

Twisties

Ouray V is on!

August 20-23

Headquarters at the Riverpark Condominiums

The Ouray event has typically been a 4wd outing set in the scenic San Juan Mountains of Southwestern Colorado. Folk have ridden in and rented Jeeps, or driven in their own 4wds. Last year several folk brought dual-sports, and rode.

Typically we have gone out to eat as a group for breakfast and dinner, and packed a lunch for on the trail. However, the condos do have kitchens with some equipment, if anyone feels ambitious.

The area also has great hiking, bicycling, and street riding. There are a number of cultural attractions within day trip distance, most notably: Mesa Verde National Park, The Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad, the Gateway Colorado Auto Museum, and a number of small, attractive, historic mining towns (Ouray itself, Silverton, and Telluride).

In the past we have been too early for Black Bear Pass, but this year we expect to see it open for us. I am reasonably sure that at least some folk will attempt a go at it.

The planning group has reserved some condos and have some beds available. PM me for condo room info. Depending on interest, we may need another condo (presently several available), or folk may choose to stay elsewhere in town, it's all within walking distance.

Last Year's Ride Tales (Hope I got them all):

Tom's Ouray IV Ride Tale

Joel's Ouray IV Ride Tale

Ed's Ouray IV Ride Tale

Danny's Grapefruit Ouray IV Ride Tale

Bullett's Ouray IV Ride Tale

Phil wimped out early - Official Check-in thread

Some folk stayed on, after the rest of us left.

Public answer to a PM'd question. If one person is asking, likely more want to know:

Most folk will arrive Friday afternoon, and depart Monday morning.

Though my social calendar is full, I will squeeze in this event so as not to disappoint any of the attendees. stirthepot.gif

Firefight911

Jamie and I are IN!!!!!

Wimp out early? HA! I had a medical appt. which changed my diagnosis from ALS to a neck issue. I think I deserve a break for leaving a bit early, no?

Sheesh!

Not sure whether we will 2 up, ride individual or what at this point. We'll decide once we get closer!

Jamie and I are IN!!!!!

Wimp out early? HA! I had a medical appt. which changed my diagnosis from ALS to a neck issue. I think I deserve a break for leaving a bit early, no?

Sheesh!

Not sure whether we will 2 up, ride individual or what at this point. We'll decide once we get closer!

It's the shtick, go with it, besides the heat will be off of you as soon as someone thinks to ask why we're going in August, instead of June.

So, he said, falling for the bait, why are we going in August instead of June?

Can't believe that it made almost 40 minutes in prime time!

One person's peeps made Stonehenge. The other person's peeps made Liebfraumilch. They fought a war. But despite their differences, they are best buddies now. Neither can be extracted from in front of their TV in June.

This is starting to look GREAT!

I see interest expressed, but have not received a room request from:

The Hansons,

Bill, and

Brad.

Please PM me if you are ready to commit and would like a room in the condos.

We're right on the edge of needing another condo as things stand, and would like to make a decision soon.

Thanks!

Jan , sent a you a PM. :wave:

To make it to this one I'll be taking no-pay off the work but if that's what it takes then so be it.

I can hardly wait.

--

Mikko

I want to go, I want to go, I want to go! :clap::clap::clap:

Come to our house and we'll all go together.

:wave:

Are you going to ride the bike up there?

Here’s Your Sign...

Ha ha :P

Here’s Your Sign...

Firefight911

Tentative rough in plans at this point put us in Salt Lake City on Thursday. Ride to Ouray on Friday. We'll hang with the monkeys through Monday morning when Jamie and I will be riding to the Pike's Peak area. Running to the top of Pike's Peak on Tuesday. Ride back west via an undetermined route to Salt Lake City Wednesday. Maybe all the way to Salt Lake Wednesday or split the difference and get back to Salt Lake City Thursday instead. We'll see how it goes based on routing and area ride suggestions from Pike's Peak to Salt Lake.

We are trucking the bikes from our house to Salt Lake and back. Riding all other legs. Anyone who wants to jump in on that is more than welcome. We can take two more bikes with us. Or, if you need a bike moved we can do it for ya.

Tentative rough in plans at this point put us in Salt Lake City on Thursday. Ride to Ouray on Friday. We'll hang with the monkeys through Monday morning when Jamie and I will be riding to the Pike's Peak area. Running to the top of Pike's Peak on Tuesday. Ride back west via an undetermined route to Salt Lake City Wednesday. Maybe all the way to Salt Lake Wednesday or split the difference and get back to Salt Lake City Thursday instead. We'll see how it goes based on routing and area ride suggestions from Pike's Peak to Salt Lake.

We are trucking the bikes from our house to Salt Lake and back. Riding all other legs. Anyone who wants to jump in on that is more than welcome. We can take two more bikes with us. Or, if you need a bike moved we can do it for ya.

This is gonna be GOOOOOOOOD!!!!

• 1 month later...
Bill_Walker

This is maybe a little early to be planning my route, but I just rode my bike again and I'm enthused.

I'm thinking a night ride across the desert to Phoenix might be in order, it being August and all. Though, come to think of it, I've done that Phoenix-San Diego ride in daylight in August before. AND IT SUCKED!

• 1 month later...
Bill_Walker

If you are one of the many people who were likely being kept away by my presence ;), be advised that I am now, sadly, OUT. So have at it and grab that bed! You'll be glad you did.

Firefight911

Here is the final itinerary for Jamie and I on our journey to Ouray this year.

Jamie and I are departing on Monday, August 16 from our home in Diamond Springs, CA (near Placerville, CA) and driving straight through to Salt Lake City, UT where we will be aggravating Twisties and Bullett for the evening (BwaaaaaHaaaaHaaaa!!!).

This portion of the leg will see Jamie and I in the big red truck with the F800GS in the back. We've ridden this section a bunch and there's no reason to do this for us. Oh, BTW, Jamie will be 100% on 4 wheels for the whole trip as she will be too pregnant to ride by then.

Once in Salt Lake City, the bike will be unloaded. Jamie will drive the direct route to Steamboat Springs, CO on Tuesday, August 17 whereas I will be taking a bit more circuitous route that will lead me through the southwestern edge of WY.

August 18 will find us leaving Steamboat Springs, CO and heading to Cripple Creek, CO. Our route will carry us through the Eisenhower Tunnel .

Once in Cripple Creek, CO we will be staying 2 nights at the Last Dollar Inn.

On August 19 we make the run to the top of Pikes Peak and return to Cripple Creek.

August 20 finds us running from Cripple Creek, CO to Ouray, CO to join the rest of the misfits for a fun filled, story telling, laughter filled weekend with some of the best people I have ever come to know!

I post our itinerary so that you can decide to join us for the trip or any portion along the way if you care!!!! We can carry 3 more motorcycles on any and all portions of this journey and get them back to CA. Jamie would love some company for the portions I am on the bike. Just sayin'!

We leave for home, the direct route (Hwy 50) on Monday morning with the bike, again, in the truck.

Here's our routing to Ouray - LINKY

Bill, you're right, we won't miss your smelly feet! You, on the other hand, will be missed!

Bill_Walker

Sheesh, why didn't anybody tell me I have stinky feet?

I can hardly wait for next year. I'll miss seeing all your smiling faces!

• 4 weeks later...

Jamie and I are departing on Monday, August 16 from our home in Diamond Springs, CA (near Placerville, CA) and driving straight through to Salt Lake City, UT where we will be aggravating Twisties and Bullett for the evening (BwaaaaaHaaaaHaaaa!!!).

D***, I'm aggravated! :mad::mad::mad::rofl:

Three weeks from today... it's coming right up!

Working on this still.

Here is where I stand right now

We don't have Michael's info yet on Cross Country Meets. School starts this next week so will get clarity on that

I have to go to Puerto Rico for work. Not sure when that is. Hoping to have that cleared up by Wednesday.

If we head up, we will camp at the KOA. I need to work on few other things too

I'm still a go also. It's going to be bit tight schedule so I'm likely going to arrive very late on Friday night / early Saturday morning.

Towing a trailer, bring a KLX250 for sure, possibly another other bike for backup or for someone else to ride.

And since I'm getting there kind of late, I'm taking one more day off at the back end. I have the option to stick around and explore more of Colorado until Tuesday.

--

Mikko

Are we going to make Jeep reservations?

Anyone needing a jeep would be well advised to do so.

Sharon and I thinking of doing some street riding and some hiking, so I don't think we need jeep space.

So, so far we have:

Bob = dirt bike

Janet = Dirt bike

Mikko = dirt bike

Larry = unknown

Louise = jeep (assumed)

Edd = Unknown

Phil = Unknown

Jamie = Unknown

Jan = street

Sharon = Street

Jean = unknown

David = unknown

Michael = unknown

Gwen = unknown

Brad = unknown (and does Brad have a date?)

Tom and Family = presumed if coming, would have Tom's Jeep.

Remember: If you arriving on a bike, and plan to rent a jeep, BE SURE TO BRING YOUR AUTO PROOF OF INS. Bike ins won't work.

I'll be bringing the Sherpa and the Canondale in the back of the pick up.

So, so far we have:

Bob = dirt bike

Janet = Dirt bike

Mikko = dirt bike

Larry = unknown

Louise = jeep (assumed)

Edd = Dirt bike and bicycle

Phil = Unknown

Jamie = Unknown

Jan = street

Sharon = Street

Jean = unknown

David = unknown

Michael = unknown

Gwen = unknown

Brad = unknown (and does Brad have a date?)

Tom and Family = presumed if coming, would have Tom's Jeep.

Remember: If you arriving on a bike, and plan to rent a jeep, BE SURE TO BRING YOUR AUTO PROOF OF INS. Bike ins won't work.

We are bringing something maybe the truck and dirt bike, maybe the car and trailer and both bikes. Still discussing it. :lurk:

You best be bringing the Duc. We want to see it at Engineer Pass.

You wouldn't want to be outdone by a TW, would you?

IMG_2623.jpg

At this point is there a "preferred" jeep rental outfit? I've only been one year, so don't know if some are better than others on price or quality???

I think this is my favorite place to rent jeeps.

I may have the wrong place?????

I think this is the convenient store gas station looking place about 1 miles north of town.

Larry

Firefight911
I think this is my favorite place to rent jeeps.

I may have the wrong place?????

I think this is the convenient store gas station looking place about 1 miles north of town.

Larry

Yep, that's who we used last year. No problems with them. Very easy to get to, etc.

Plan is to Jeep one day and ride one day. Jan, is there a preferred rental place for the jeeps?

We don't usually ride on the paved roads when in Ouray, but anything is possible.

Ok folks, looks like I'm in. I'll be there with my wife and it will be the first moto event she has been to so it is very important that you remember the party line: I don't drink much, I like to stop and smell the roses and love to sleep in. As long as we have that straight, we'll all have a good time. I'll be trailering up my DRZ and will ride with the "slow folks". Looking forward to seeing everyone,

John

Ok folks, looks like I'm in. I'll be there with my wife and it will be the first moto event she has been to so it is very important that you remember the party line: I don't drink much, I like to stop and smell the roses and love to sleep in. As long as we have that straight, we'll all have a good time. I'll be trailering up my DRZ and will ride with the "slow folks". Looking forward to seeing everyone,

John

Yeah Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!

Glad you could make it. She should love it.

Plan is to Jeep one day and ride one day. Jan, is there a preferred rental place for the jeeps?

We don't usually ride on the paved roads when in Ouray, but anything is possible.

Thanks for the jeep link Whip. As far as riding, I definitely want to do some paved road riding one day with my daughter, so if anyone wants to come along, that would be great! May be as simple as a spin down 550 to Durango and back.

Archived