IGNORED

Ouray V - August 20-23

Twisties

Entertainment is set for Friday evening.

I'm going to drive my 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel pickup up and over any hybrids in the parking lot.

Free admission.

004.gif

Since I will not be able to attend, please take pictures!

Speaking of pictures, did you take any of the the flooding down your way?

No pictures, but I rode up to the floodway last night to test out the newly installed fuel pump. The amount of water still coming down the floodway, river, and arroyo is truly remarkable.

AdventurePoser

Jennifer and I just got back from Ouray...Black Bear Pass is open...

We had a great time riding the extraordinary loops in the area, eating great food, and staying at the Ouray KOA.

The only downside was breaking my big toe on the LAST day of our vacation. In a few weeks the docs will decide if it needs to be pinned back together. :dopeslap:

Have fun everyone...j

Steve

...The only downside was breaking my big toe on the LAST day of our vacation. In a few weeks the docs will decide if it needs to be pinned back together. :dopeslap:...

Steve

Details please.

"when I went to Colorado for research purposes and discovered Ouray, I fell in love with it. It is the most beautifully dramatic spot in the whole state, and it's even surrounded by a ring of mountains. . ."

Dammit, Whip, when are you going to learn to provide citations for your quotes? You can't quote somebody without saying who you're quoting.

:)

Slight speed bump on my way to Ouray...

Got into my truck today on my to take the dog to chase some deer in the local park/woods. The truck starts with crazy loud exhaust roar.

Yup, someone had took a sawzall to the truck's exhaust and cut off the cat converter. F#&king lovely.

Now I need to spend the Saturday and most of my travel budget to get that fixed :mad:

--

Mikko

Bummer Mikko. That sounds like it would have been a noisy operation. Surprised someone didn't hear it and report it. Hope you can still make it.

john

Dammit, Whip, when are you going to learn to provide citations for your quotes? You can't quote somebody without saying who you're quoting.

:)

Because some you like to attack the messenger and not the message.

That sounds like it would have been a noisy operation. Surprised someone didn't hear it and report it. Hope you can still make it.

I know, but looks like this thing happens all the time. Google "Stolen catalytic converter" and you see. People have their cat's stolen on mall parking lots and while getting java from Starbucks. Crazy.

In the middle of the day on busy parking lots, and all it takes is couple minutes.

This link is worth reading for all Toyota 4Runner owners:

It's an epidemic

If I had known how wide spread and common this crime is, I would have got one of these BEFORE it happens to me.

/hijack

See you on Ouray!

--

Mikko

Someone mentioned Black Bear Pass was open. Anyone up for that. Not sure it is GSable but the dirt bikes should be fine.

It is on the list. We have never done Black Bear cause we always get there too early.

We will see what happens.

Janet is welcome to take my bike.

Does that stand for there will be black bears?????

No doubt about it. That is why we are bringing your husband, "the great white hunter"

I so love bears. People at work get tickled at me because instead of a picture of my husband on my desk I have a picture of the bear at Yellowstone! Wooo hoooo

I LOVE BEARS!! :clap:

markgoodrich
I so love bears. People at work get tickled at me because instead of a picture of my husband on my desk I have a picture of the bear at Yellowstone! Wooo hoooo

Well, Jean, it's understandable you'd have a picture of a bear instead of Dave (no offense, Dave, but really, given a choice, I think anyone would choose a bear picture), but Jean: bears EAT people. They think we're delicious.

Isn't Bear Pass the one that the jeep rental places say "don't go there in the jeep; you will die," and they don't mean get eaten by a bear, they mean you will fall off the mountain like a Peruvian bus??

Well, Jean, it's understandable you'd have a picture of a bear instead of Dave (no offense, Dave, but really, given a choice, I think anyone would choose a bear picture), but Jean: bears EAT people. They think we're delicious.

Isn't Bear Pass the one that the jeep rental places say "don't go there in the jeep; you will die," and they don't mean get eaten by a bear, they mean you will fall off the mountain like a Peruvian bus??

....your not helping.

Firefight911

If anyone would like to join us Friday morning FROM Cripple Creek to Ouray we are taking Phantom Canyon Road.

All dirt, a bit of history, mixed with some great views!

We are all packed. Load the bike in a couple hours then some shut eye before we launch at o' dark thirty for leg one from home to grumpy's and his beautiful bride's house just outside Salt Lake City.

If you're in the area, join us Monday evening for THIS.

Let the journey begin!!!!! See everyone Friday!!!!!!

Here's our route for the whole trip minus the slog legs from home to Salt Lake and from Ouray to home. 700 and 950 miles respectively. All in the truck with the bike in back.

LINKY

My signature line has my SPOT link which will be active every day. If you're bored AT WORK wishing you were with all of us in Ouray!!!!! :)

markgoodrich
It looks great!!!

I don't think the little dirt bikes will have an issue.

:thumbsup:

Great, huh? Looks terrifying. My experience with "off-road" driving is limited to a 1955 Dodge in the lower Rio Grande Valley, way more than 40 years ago, on gravel roads and levees. Dangerous high spots included (only) railroad crossings. I wanna do this deal, with someone experienced at the wheel of a jeep. Who would that be?

markgoodrich

The hiker sub-thread:

Steve's 1150 Plus 50 suggests the newish Ouray Perimeter Trail, about 4 miles, which sounds great, if a little short. I've been looking at some of the trail sites for the area. Any other hikers in the group with knowledge or desires for particular trails? Only thing I know of from experience is that Yankee Boy Basin is beautiful.

I wanna do this deal, with someone experienced at the wheel of a jeep. Who would that be?
Unfortunately the rental Jeeps are not allowed on Black Bear.

My plan for Black Bear - not sure whether to do this Saturday or Sunday, thinking maybe there will be less people on Sunday?

Put KLR in truck bed and drive to Telluride, park Tundra and ride KLR back to Ouray over Ophir Pass (easy). Ride CRF over Black Bear and put in truck in Telluride then highway back to Ouray. I don't want to ride my CRF on the highway any more than necessary. I might even drop the CRF off at the start of Black Bear on 550.

Janet will be riding Whip's dirt bike and I assume Eddd will be with us, until he abandons us anyway. If there are more than 2 dirt bikes I will take the trailer to Telluride, can handle at least 4 bikes on the way back that way.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

I wanna do this deal, with someone experienced at the wheel of a jeep. Who would that be?

For good reason. How many of them do you think would end up going over the side while being piloted by some weekend warrior?

markgoodrich

Well, I guess that settles that, then. Sounds like the Black Bear day is a hiking day for Mark and Suzanne.

My plan for Black Bear - not sure whether to do this Saturday or Sunday, thinking maybe there will be less people on Sunday?

Put KLR in truck bed and drive to Telluride, park Tundra and ride KLR back to Ouray over Ophir Pass (easy). Ride CRF over Black Bear and put in truck in Telluride then highway back to Ouray. I don't want to ride my CRF on the highway any more than necessary. I might even drop the CRF off at the start of Black Bear on 550.

Janet will be riding Whip's dirt bike and I assume Eddd will be with us, until he abandons us anyway. If there are more than 2 dirt bikes I will take the trailer to Telluride, can handle at least 4 bikes on the way back that way.

You could come back on Ophir. It is very fast and no drama.

And Janet can take my bike any day she wants, she doesn't have to do Black Bear.

You could come back on Ophir. It is very fast and no drama.

Yes, might do that, much less complicated. That would also mean that I didn't need to bring the trailer at all. Could also take Imogene back from Telluride, hmmm.

I need some guidance here from the "been there, did that pass and got the t-shirt" guys.

What kind fuel range would be good to have to fully enjoy the routes there and not be constantly taking just riding highways in search of gas?

I'm bring the KLX250 which has only 1.9 gal gas tank. Should I strap a jug of gas on the luggage rack?

And an update on my plans for the trip.

We are going to concert here in bay area still on Thursday night, I'll drive straight from the Ouray. Planning to arrive LATE Friday night.

Then maximum amount of great Colorado dirt riding and coming back home either Monday night or early Tue morning. Or something like that...

Oh, are you guys bringing Autocoms?

--

Mikko

What kind fuel range would be good to have to fully enjoy the routes there and not be constantly taking just riding highways in search of gas?

I'm bring the KLX250 which has only 1.9 gal gas tank. Should I strap a jug of gas on the luggage rack?

Does that give you 100 miles? That should be more than enough, most of the dirt rides are short and gnarley.

Bob, I'll have my trailer there avalable if needed. I want to do Black Bear and possibly Imageen (sp) Pass back to Ouray. I did Imageen 15 years ago in a Jeep and it was not difficult but many rocks (boulder field) near the top.

Ride with The Hun (azkaisr). Tom does a great job. (unless he's OUT and I've missed it. Wait, wasn't he one of the reasons this was moved to August?).

Does that give you 100 miles? That should be more than enough, most of the dirt rides are short and gnarley.

Just to be on the safe side I already have a gallon container mounted to my rack. It'll be carried along on all rides.

I am still trying to make this happen but I may have to be away for work around this time and have another trip scheduled for September before Torrey too. Trying to get that sorted out by Thursday. As much as I really want to go, it is looking more and more like I am out. If I can make it happen, I would be willing to head over blackbear in the Jeep assuming I can get some new shoes for the JK and someone else is willing to hang out with the minions.

markgoodrich

Bob: Lemme axe a iggerunt quexion: how long would hike from Telluride back to Ouray be? Miles/and hours? If that's doable, I could take the truck to Telluride for you and leave it, and hike back to town??????????

Yes, might do that, much less complicated. That would also mean that I didn't need to bring the trailer at all. Could also take Imogene back from Telluride, hmmm.

Imogene drops right back into Ouray so there is very little highway you'd need to ride on.

Just as an appetizer, here is a pic of black bear pass taken back in the 50s. I think it is in a little better shape now!!

971815826_Rggp2-Th.jpg

OK, I'm making two last minute adjustments to my gear for the trip:

1) I'm going to bring few more pairs of clean underwear

2) Going swing by an army surplus store today and rig up an emergency parachute to the KLX for a 007 style recovery after loosing it on the BBP.

--

Mikko

One additional decision critereon might be which day is better for EMS support!!

Archived