IGNORED

Jacqueline heads to Alaska...this time with a wing man

Jacqueline

Jacqueline

Come along with me on my short trip up to Hyder, Alaska…..

I’m headed to Hyder, Alaska to attend my second Hyder Seek. Richard is also going, this will be his first trip to Hyder.

Since 1998, a small group of long-distance motorcycling enthusiasts have met at the end of May or in early June for dinner in Hyder, Alaska. Hyder Seek 2009 will mark the 11th year for this event. The group is normally close to 200 people, but this year the number is down to 90. But it will still be a lot of FUN!

The original event celebrated the culmination of Ron Ayres' 49-state ride (a record that has since been broken). Since then, the Iron Butt Association has instituted a somewhat exclusive "48 States Plus Alaska Award" for riders traveling through all of the 48 contiguous states plus Alaska. Neither I nor Richard will have completed the Iron Butt Association requirements for the “48 States Plus Alaska Award” but one certainly does not have to do the 49-state ride to attend Hyder Seek! For me, I’m a repeat Hyderseeker who can't get enough of the beautiful scenery on the way to Hyder.

We will be staying at the Sealaska Inn hotel located along the scenic border of Hyder, Alaska and British Columbia, nestled at the head of the Portland Canal in southeast Alaska. Hyder is off the well-beaten path, and the area offers some of the most spectacular scenery in the world (it’s Alaska…. need I say more.). The rugged mountain peaks in Alaska and chilling glaciers surround you in an unspoiled setting (I just love it!). Wildlife can frequently be found in the Hyder and Stewart area, such as bear, bear, bear and more bear, wolverines, black bear, grizzlies, marmots, porcupines, beavers and many other species. Did I mention BEAR!

Hyder was booming between the 1920 and 1930. By 1956, all major mining had closed except for Granduc Copper Mine in Canada, which operated until 1984. Hyder is pretty much a ghost town now…a quaint step back into time. The roads are not paved; the dogs bark and walk the streets. Bears wander through the streets, without causing too much trouble!

Hyder, Alaska is also the gateway to the spectacular Salmon Glacier. The Salmon Glacier is the fifth largest glacier in North America. Miles and miles of the most beautiful glacier ice you will ever see.

Hyder is also where people go to get Hyderized. Hyderized; a friendly bartender will pour you a shot of pure grain alcohol. After you have gulped down the shot the bartender tips the glass over on the table and lights the excess, which burns a bright blue flame. You are even issued a certificate to prove it! Something I’m sure Richard will be doing… but something I know I will not!

So come along on this short, but exciting little ride……. I will have my Star Traxx on, so I can be located by going to this website where is Jacqueline (the sign on is Friend and the password is Friend).

We’re out the door and headed north to Alaska….. in 10 hours……

BeniciaRT_GT

We are!?!?!?!??!? Holy cow I'd better pack and go service the bike!

Come on now,She would wait for ya,,(in Hyder) :rofl:
Jacqueline
Kool,You guys have a great time,,Lots of pics please,,I love Alaska,,,,

Pictures to follow....... :thumbsup:

Francois_Dumas

Woops, too late to wish you a safe trip... doing it anyway: HAVE A SAFE TRIP!

We're headed for Romania in a few hours (by car) and I'll try to log in somewhere to follow your trail.

HAVE FUN !!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

Don't forget the bathing suit, evening gown, and practice your act for the talent competition.

Always answer "yes" to questions about world peace.

Good luck in the competition.

;)

Jacqueleine,

Have fun and don't wait too long for Richard to catch up on the gravel roads.

:wave:

**   Chris   **
Wildlife can frequently be found in the Hyder and Stewart area, such as bear, bear, bear and more bear, wolverines, black bear, grizzlies, marmots, porcupines, beavers and many other species. Did I mention BEAR!

Tom, maybe you need to go to Hyder? Maybe I need to tag along? Might have to wait until next year though.

I see your in Bend, if your continuing up 97 tomorrow through Madras chech out the Cove Palasades just south.

Cheers

Jacqueline

Woke up at 4:30am in hopes of leaving by 5:00am....

Katharina and Thomas got up to see us off...

551412839_vHWtS-L.jpg

For some reason I felt a little guilty about leaving on a trip while Katharina and Thomas's bikes are pretty much down to the frames, still.

551411673_xENYd-L.jpg

I left them with the key to my truck, an extra cell phone that I have, a list of phone numbers (Phil, Boney, Russ, Joe G. and a few others), a house key, local maps, and an invitation to stay as long as they like. Thomas said most likely we will see them upon our return. :thumbsup: (So they can work on Richard some more :grin:)

Pulled out promptly at 5:48am :grin: and watch the sun rise over Fairfield! It was a beautiful morning to be headed north.

At a gas stop I see a truck pulling a horse trailer pull in. Once the truck was stopped I hear a loud winnie. The driver immediately opens the side window ....

551413236_5Hke7-L.jpg

what a beauty......

Riding along I5, Mt. Shasta comes into view....

551416997_cv5vn-L.jpg

what a beauty......

We got so excited we pulled off the Interstate to take a few pictures...

551417619_jXLM7-L.jpg

551431048_4EoDN-L.jpg551432785_iyRrC-L.jpg

551429748_Y6Bnr-L.jpg ... NORTH to Alaska....

But first a stop in WEED, CA

551436073_yM9SB-L.jpg

where we had a wonderful meal while enjoying the view...

551419558_mmicH-L.jpg .

I must say our short stop in Weed was much more enjoyable this time. The last time we stopped in Weed (last August) I was two up on a bike that was stopped and given a performance award :grin:.

Took 97 into Oregon

551436905_8GcPy-L.jpg

551420453_PSKV4-L.jpg

551420983_4wBbM-L.jpg

where a storm started to play around us.....

551437760_uRPDe-L.jpg ... after a while the storm won and we got rained on! That was okay...nothing can ruin a trip when you're headed Alaska! We got north of Bend, Oregon and called it a night.

551424708_zjkQJ-L.jpg

Total miles for the first day, 515!

Have an outstanding trip you two. Those are roads that I would really like to be travelling soon! Perhaps I'll get to some time later this summer.

Those two bikes of yours are some of the best travelled BMWs I've seen! I'm glad to see that Richard is on the oilhead. He might make it there and back on that bike. If he'd taken his K-bike, I'd have to start a pool to bet on which dealer he'd end up leaving it at.

I love seeing the RT up and running! I am sure Richard is happy too. Good on you guys. And enjoy the bear!

I must say our short stop in Weed was much more enjoyable this time. The last time we stopped in Weed (last August) I was two up on a bike that was stopped and given a performance award .

Were you in the payee spot or the one on the back demanding the driver hoon it up :rofl:

Have a great trip :thumbsup:

I love seeing the RT up and running! I am sure Richard is happy too. Good on you guys. And enjoy the bear!

What he said.....

:thumbsup:

If you two need anything going or coming holler (like a spot to crash or a homebrew or 10 a long day from the bay area)

Jacqueline

Woke up to a clear, beautiful day... ready to do some more riding.

552877272_o6JrH-L.jpg

As we rode away from the camp ground I was able to get this shot of this beautiful mountain.... (hot stuff).... I'm still searching for the name of this mountain.

I also was able to get a shot (not a clear shot) of Mt. Hood off in the distance.

552876966_9w4Qb-L.jpg

Headed down 97....

552876740_jJ6Ew-L.jpg552874804_6pkg3-L.jpg

it was possible at times to see the peaks of three dormant volcanoes... and acres and acres of lava fields... WOW!

This was one of those places that makes me feel so very, very small and insignificant... in a good way.

552873886_huiCV-L.jpg

Mt. Adams

552875431_AAVDT-L.jpg

Our ride took us through an area that reminds me of the Central Valley in California... HUGE fields of crops.

552867961_WBYqr-L-1.jpg

Farm country.... Certain parts even reminded me of where I grow up in New York. Seeing fields of fresh cut hay and that wonderful smell also added to my vivid memories of my younger days.

We rode pass a HUGE tree farm. GreenWood Tree Farm ... like something I had never seen before... Rows and rows and rows of these trees. One could look down a row and it was like looking down a tunnel.

We spent the night just south of the Canadian border. Total miles for the day a short 475.

On to the Canadian Rockies! :thumbsup:

bakerzdosen

I'm sure I should have just moved this to "Ride tales that last" and been done with it... :)

It's in the right forum now.

bakerzdosen
As we rode away from the camp ground I was able to get this shot of this beautiful mountain.... (hot stuff).... I'm still searching for the name of this mountain.
I'm not 100% sure, but looking at it and based on the fact you seem to have been in Oregon at the time, I'm betting it's Mt. Bachelor. You certainly passed it if you went up Hwy 97.
I'm not 100% sure, but looking at it and based on the fact you seem to have been in Oregon at the time, I'm betting it's Mt. Bachelor. You certainly passed it if you went up Hwy 97.

Jefferson

Crazy_Canuck

Awesome ride tale. You 2 ride safe!!! I see Richard didn't take his GT? Why not? What is that red thing he's riding?

I wish I was riding with you guys. :/

Have a great ride you two! Oh, and keep the pics coming, I need inspiration to remain happy now that I have returned to Vegas after riding thru the mountians of Utah. I would love to be with you, but for now I'll tag along online.

Back on line and catching up with your trip.

Hope you have a safe and wonderful travels.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the photos

Thanks for the information too, as it is even better when I can leavn more about an area I have never yet been.

:clap::thumbsup::lurk:

Jacqueline

On the third day... we continued north through Idaho (Beautiful, WOW) and found a spot we thought would be a beautiful place for an UN or just getting together with friends for a few days of riding...

553370646_a5gHi-L.jpg

553447710_enR59-L.jpg

It did not take us long to get to the border... and I wasn't surprised to see the line again...

553446970_Zx7e9-L.jpg That line cut through the trees really has me wondering which side came up with the idea? The Canadian or the US and WHY? But at the border they were kind enough to let both Richard and I in their country...

553446534_rJMJm-L.jpg

where we started our leisurely ride through the Canadian Rockies.

553371574_pjxZM-L.jpg

553374247_V9RsW-L.jpg

When we came upon a small town named Kimberley, we stopped to enjoy the town and a bit to eat.

553396319_y6HuQ-L.jpg553396602_C6NQ6-L.jpg553397419_vbM6T-L.jpg

553374642_AH5ud-L.jpg

Headed north and back up the road...

553445563_8navZ-L.jpg

we took The Icefields Parkway... claimed to be "The Most Beautiful Road in the World". I will have to say it has to be one of the most beautiful roads I have ever been on.

553376147_vExuU-L.jpg

The parkway has been intended to commemorate Canada's powerful natural landscape. I would have to say it does! :thumbsup:

553377026_VwAfk-L.jpg

553378897_L636Z-L.jpg

553381145_Qvjbw-L.jpg

The Icefields Parkway passes seven icefields (large upland glaciers) and about 25 smaller glaciers.

553384858_UvmJK-L.jpg

553385930_mAnFD-L.jpg

553391446_ombCx-L.jpg

We were not the only ones enjoying the Parkway....

553438758_V63iw-L.jpg ...

there were plenty of deer out enjoying the roadside.

553438123_vSkQZ-L.jpg

553393791_9w8VW-L.jpg

553398169_esrvd-L.jpg

553438532_EBYbK-L.jpg

553436693_wGDr2-L.jpg

Stopped for the night in Lake Louise....

553434885_C5QW3-L.jpg

Total miles for the day only 284... but they were Wow e wow Wow WOW miles! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

On to Jasper and Prince George....

Wowewow is right!

Just in case anyone is newer to BMWST, or otherwise missed it, here is Jacqueline's other ride tale to AK:

Hoon on the loose..... Jacqueline heads to Alaska

I will point out that this is the only 2007 or 2008, or 2009 (to date) ride tale added to the archives, Ride Tales That Last. It's that good! It happens to be the first Ride Tale I ever saw as I joined the board, and I remember thinking, "They can't all be like this. This has to be something special.". It was, and is.

Jacqueline & Richard:

And you guys never gave me a call or PM!!!!

I'm going to nit pic a little and tell you those pictures were mostly in the Columbia and Kootenay River valleys of British Columbia, you will be on the Icefields Parkway today when you leave Lake Louise. It will be a bit cool this morning but should be cloud free all day. And if you thought yesterday was good, it doesn't hold a candle to what is in store today.

Mike Cassidy

Paul Mihalka

Wonderful! :thumbsup: How do you do it to do miles AND take so many pictures? When I travel it is either pictures or miles...

we took The Icefields Parkway... claimed to be "The Most Beautiful Road in the World". I will have to say it has to be one of the most beautiful roads I have ever been on

The Icefields Parkway is one of my favorite rides. I take it at least once a year. Spend a night in Jasper, day 1. Head south thru the Parkway up to Radium Hot Springs to Golden B.C. and back to Jasper day 2. Head home, day 3.

Great pictures!

Archived