IGNORED

Jacqueline heads to Alaska...this time with a wing man

Jacqueline

Jacqueline,

What a wonderful trip.

I recall a certain Yamaha 650 with more exhaust noise than all the other bikes put together at El Paseo in Cherokee.

A flying railroad crossing.

Trips over the Cherohala and tipovers in the oyster shells.

You've come (and gone) a long way lady.

Godspeed as you continue on your unique journey.

Best wishes.

Tim & Beth

We were up at 4:00am, with the intentions of making it back to Benicia, CA in two days (1,850 miles). Pulled out from the Sealaska Inn promptly at 5:00am and successfully crossed the border into Canada by 5:05am... :cry: I really hated to leave but I'm already working on plans to return to Hyder in 2011... (after I do the 48 States ride) :thumbsup:.

We headed out down that 40 mile stretch of road where the bears can easily be seen....

560526010_ALvTP-L.jpg

560526151_wDV6t-L.jpg

There is one stretch about a mile long ... that was covered in bear and moose crap! Piles and piles in both lanes of the road. So if someone asks me do bears S#%& in the woods, my answer has to be NO! They do it in the road!

We got 40 miles down the road and I had to stop and put my Gerbings on... it was COLD!

We took the most direct route that we could...The Gold Rush Trail! :thumbsup: Where we happened upon....

Hells Gate

560526830_7YV2d-L.jpg

560527107_pabsx-L.jpg

The Tram was not running when we stopped...but I have made a note that this is some place to go back to and revisit.

We only managed to get 774 miles that day, before we stopped for the night.

The following morning we were still determined to get back to CA by night fall.

We stopped in Hope, BC for breakfast. It appears that Hope is known for it's chainsaw wood cravings...This is truly the Chainsaw Carving Capital of Canada, with over two dozen large wooden sculptures scattered throughout the downtown area.

560540568_Ee5st-L.jpg560540248_4N7bS-L.jpg

560539988_fgMjX-L.jpg560538775_zScAD-L.jpg

At about 2:00pm just north of Portland I was having a hard time staying awake. Nothing seemed to help. I felt like I had been drugged. After scaring both myself and Richard at about 3:00pm we pulled into a very nice rest stop. I got my pillow out, found a nice place in the grass under a shade tree and slept hard for an hour. After the nap I was ready to go.

By the time it was getting dark, we were in twisties, with many big rigs and even Richard was having trouble seeing so we called it a day after going only 680 miles.

What Richard did not tell me that night, but it was clear the next morning... he was not feeling well. He had a high fever. We managed the last 417 miles. As we pulled into the driveway just after 3:00pm the garage door magically opens and there are Katharina and Thomas greeting us home. Thomas had coffee ready for Richard and Katharina had fixed something to eat. They are two of the nicest people :thumbsup:.

In our little 9 day trip we went 3,991 miles. Richard went to the doctor the day after we arrived back in Benicia... he has a prostate/UTI infection. Our house guests Katharina and Thomas, left Thursday and continued on their North American tour....they are headed north to Alaska! :clap:

Richard now understands and possesses the LUST for ALASKA that I have!

:thumbsup:

Whip's right about the writing and pics. You've definitely brought it all up a level.

And hey, what you mean "only going 680 miles". That's a long, long way on a bike. Just 'cause you did some kind of IB ride once, doesn't mean you can take a long day's ride for granted, and especially not several long days in a row. You did the IB with a lot of planning, and it still took a lot out of you. You were sick after it, right? You are riding farther and harder now too, but don't get complacent about these distances. For me at least, a 700 mile day is my limit. I've only done it twice, and once I dropped the bike in the driveway at the end. I'll never be an LD rider, and will never want to be, but I know these things are accomplishments because they are hard and dangerous... not because they are routine. You guys did great to cover that many miles in so little time, and to have taken the time to enjoy some people and things along the way. Don't knock on yourselves.

Thanks for sharing. It was really cool to see you had such a great time!

BeniciaRT_GT
Splendid tale J, if only Canada wasn't between here and Hyder...

I told you they apologized for any transgressions, real or perceived. GO!!!!

Wow! Great ride tale Jacqueline! :clap:

I think Richard needs to put in for a transfer to the Great White North, eh?

BeniciaRT_GT
Wow! Great ride tale Jacqueline! :clap:

No one left there now. We don't even fly there anymore. :cry:

Originally Posted By: Bullett

Wow! Great ride tale Jacqueline! clap

No one left there now. We don't even fly there anymore

I'm still here!!

Richard went to the doctor the day after we arrived back in Benicia... he has a prostate/UTI infection.

Who would have ever thought we'd see "Richard" and "rotten @$$hole" in the same post? Hope he got a second opinion and all is well!

Hey Killer, if Canada wasn't in the way, Alaska would be in the north-west corner of WA, so go up and enjoy that wonderful part of the contry.

• 2 weeks later...
BeniciaRT_GT
Richard can jump?

Not w/out pics he didn't.

Keep 'em coming.

:wave:

Careful what Y'all ask for!!!

I got my broken video camera back from Sony and now have the proof!

Warning: Please remove all small children from the room and I hope those who view it can sleep at night!!!

577220667_bETJi-XL.jpg

Video is here:

Firefight911

I got my broken video camera back from Sony and now have the proof!

Warning: Please remove all small children from the room and I hope those who view it can sleep at night!!!

[/img]

Video is here:

Wow, Tele Tubbies Gone Wild.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Absolutely fantastic! Mount Robson is truly jaw droppingly beautiful. Val and I have to get there at some point. I mean, we're so close already!

Archived