IGNORED

Jacqueline heads to Alaska...this time with a wing man

Jacqueline

roadscholar

553374247_V9RsW-L.jpg

553384858_UvmJK-L.jpg

Now we're Talkeetnen'.... She's baaaack!!

Great stuff you two. :thumbsup:

Can I request some photo-documentation of this so-called Hyderizing event when and if it occurs? :grin:

Jacqueline

I'm going to nit pic a little and tell you those pictures were mostly in the Columbia and Kootenay River valleys of British Columbia, you will be on the Icefields Parkway today when you leave Lake Louise. It will be a bit cool this morning but should be cloud free all day. And if you thought yesterday was good, it doesn't hold a candle to what is in store today.

Okay...I'm blond. We paid to get on the road and were given a brochure that said Icefield Parkway... :dopeslap:..... AND you are correct about today not holding a candle to yesterday...

WOW E WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!!!

Can't wait to tell you all about TODAY!!!!!! Richard got so excited he had to stop, get off his bike and jump up and down!

Are you there yet? What an adventure, wish I was there with you. The photos are great. Safe journey!

Can't wait to tell you all about TODAY!!!!!! Richard got so excited he had to stop, get off his bike and jump up and down!

Knowin my man is happy brings a smile to my face and makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside....but without pix?????

Tell him it only gets better, and he doesn't have to go home.

:lurk:

Knowin my man is happy brings a smile to my face and makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside....but without pix?????

Tell him it only gets better, and he doesn't have to go home.

:lurk:

I agree with my man Larry (as usual on all non Black and White things) that it warms the heart big time to see Richard jump up and down. And not just because he needs a pit stop. You two mean the world to me and I am happy you are loving the moment. Keep going!!

Some things we don't need pictures of. :P

:grin:

I heard a 4.5 earthquake was reported in the area. Seismologist are currently investigating the matter. :grin:

I heard a 4.5 earthquake was reported in the area. Seismologist are currently investigating the matter. :grin:

:rofl:

Jacqueline,

How much rain have you two experienced so far? As far as I can tell from your pictures and comments, it looks like none!

I'm trying...I'm really trying, but sometimes people make it too easy. If you are getting after anyone, it should be Jacqueline. It was like she spread scraps of food all around the campsite...and then you're surprised that bears showed up.

BeniciaRT_GT

We made it to Alaska!!! Lots of wildlife and scenery. The ride tale may not get updated for a bit: really slow internet connection here!

We're now well over the dozen mark of bear sightings and I was within 20 feet or less to some of them!!!

More l8ter!

BeniciaRT_GT
Jacqueline,

How much rain have you two experienced so far? As far as I can tell from your pictures and comments, it looks like none!

Malthop,

We got rained on pretty hard in Oregon, but it has been dry for us the rest of the trip. We have dodged a few showers by luck, and had a few spots of wet pavement, but NO rain!

Man I need a different line of work so I can afford to do all the stuff you guys do. I am officialy jelous and envious of you and your jetset, ride to Alaska, hang out in Europe ways... You wouldn't happen to need an AP/Airframe apprentice at the shop would you? I promise I won't be mean to people.

I was within 20 feet or less to some of them!!!

More l8ter!

Sure you traumatized a few of them with that riding suit of yours........

Sounds like your having a good time.

BeniciaRT_GT

For those of wondering or that just love numbers:

miles up: 2095.6 GPS

time: about 54 hours (35:54 moving)

We went for a very short ride this morning out to an incredible glacier and just hung out and stared at it and enjoyed the sounds of it moving. It was like ling claps so thunder. Once again just making me feel so small!

We're headed out tomorrow morning for a very quick ride home. We should be home Monday night or Tuesday morning.

Jacqueline

Mike is correct the pictures from the third day are the Columbia and Kootenay River valleys of British Columbia. I took a closer look at the brochure I was given when the toll paid …. He was also correct about the views.... what a ride... WOW e wow Wow WOW!!

Day four: Woke up in Lake Louise (the start or end (depending on which direction you are headed) of the Icefields Parkway) to a beautiful day and the first thing on the agenda (I don’t like agendas) was to ride over to see the lake for which the area is named.

554372506_ynaoU-L.jpg

554383958_jFkmG-L.jpg

The Columbia Icefield is still a very, very large icefield but you can tell it has gotten sizably smaller over the years. It is the largest accumulation of ice south of the Arctic Circle. I thought that I could even see a difference in the size from two years ago when I first saw this huge wonder of nature.

554385707_pKLQ3-L.jpg

554382385_jwfGf-L.jpg

It is still early in the season so this Ice Explorer was sitting in the parking lot just waiting for us to arrive for a closer look.

554382628_knW8e-L.jpg

It was not far down the road from the icefield that we noticed two Mountain Goats high above the road on the rocky cliffs…. Had to stop and get some pictures of these magnificent animals… they are so beautiful!

554370449_B4rxu-L.jpg

(middle of picture and a quarter of the way down)

554369948_wXsVy-L.jpg554371595_cszcJ-L.jpg

While stopped taking pictures of these magnificent animals we noticed two matching Dakars … a German couple that have been traveling the world since 2007! WOW…..

(Second German couple I have met this month, traveling the world since 2007. We have invited them to stop in Benicia went they come through. They are headed up to Alaska to start their ride south to the tip of South America. The reverse of what Katharina and Thomas are doing. Look for another impromptu dinner when Holger and Anja show up in Benicia.)

554371393_HgDY3-L.jpg554371051_J2mNf-L.jpg

554370772_XA82w-L.jpg

Holger Gockel, Anja Metzger, Richard Turk

554371917_rnc5J-L.jpg

554386009_B5vZN-L.jpg

554383239_gcZ6z-L.jpg

When we came upon a moose and her twins… Richard got SO EXCITED he stopped his bike, get off, and proceded to jump up and down like an excited little boy! The moose were to quick to get a picture of…. As was Richard (that time.)

Mount Robson…. is the most prominent mountain in North America’s Rocky Mountain range and it is also the highest point in the Canadian Rockies.

554382868_64edD-L.jpg

554383473_NceHc-L.jpg

Only 264 miles for the day.... had to spend a lot of time that day apologizing to Richard for dragging him on such a horrible ride :rofl:

We made it to Alaska!!!

You mean YOU made it to Alaska. She done made it before. :grin:

On the other hand, I'm glad you found something to eat...

554369948_wXsVy-L.jpg

And I'm also glad SOMEONE is paying attention to the trip. :grin:

554382868_64edD-L.jpg

Truth be told, I'm just jealous. And wish we were there with y'all.

Glad you're having a great time, & wishing you both the best for a fantastic continued great ride. :thumbsup:

It did not take us long to get to the border... and I wasn't surprised to see the line again...

553446970_Zx7e9-L.jpg That line cut through the trees really has me wondering which side came up with the idea? The Canadian or the US and WHY? But at the border they were kind enough to let both Richard and I in their country...

Found the answers here.

AdventurePoser

Hyder is a fun place. Love the little cafe across the street from the hotel...

Have a great ride.

Steve

The photography is spectacular. Really enjoying this. It seems hard to imagine going through this life and not seeing all of that in person! Thank you for all your work putting this Ride Tale together.

Day five:

We woke up in McBride, BC in the heart of the Robson Valley; surrounded by a backdrop of mountains, waterfalls, meadows, and rivers

560534802_4b3Gk-L.jpg

560512489_xMNkZ-L.jpg

and we continued our ride north (to Alaska).

560351605_nbAWS-L.jpg

The roads are lined with dandelions...which I now call "Bear Salad"; they love that stuff!

560535065_pcuzJ-L.jpg

When Richard saw his first bear he stopped his bike, got off, and proceeded to jump up and down (again)....

560534470_4t5j7-L.jpg560534201_c8yPo-L.jpg

Now there's a happy boy. Again I apologized for dragging him on such a horrible trip.

560352055_aBCsV-L.jpg

The bear could be seen just laying among the dandelions...leisurely eating.

560352184_obBF7-L.jpg

Along the way we stopped at a beautiful rest stop next to a river to take in the views...

560353348_Qbr5D-L.jpg

it was so beautiful that these folks decided to stay for a while...

560352970_pZoVT-L.jpg

a long while.

We continued north going through Prince George, BC... the "Gateway to the North", Smithers, and Hazelton.

560535505_JnMsG-L.jpg

560513415_apAax-L.jpg

We encountered some road construction...

560535716_6vtDc-L.jpg

but it was minimal.

The views just kept getting better and better.....

560514611_KuXD8-L.jpg

560515167_cSUdM-L.jpg

560515650_cwyvT-L.jpg

560515969_5ZzGq-L.jpg

Finally... the sign I had been waiting for (for many, many months now)...

560516135_AuRsL-L.jpg

The next 40 miles were 40 bear filled miles.... WOW...

they were everywhere...

561030469_3bu5N-L.jpg

(note bear under the sign.... I'm pointing him out to Richard as I rode down the road).

560531491_D2Gs4-L.jpg

560516873_75W6L-L.jpg

Bear Glacier

560517167_kyYCd-L.jpg

Sooooo blue...

After 585 wonderful, beautiful, glorious, Wow e Wow WOw WOW, FUN miles that day, we pulled into Hyder at 10:00 pm...

561031302_XWHFG-L.jpg

where Richard stopped his bike, got off, and proceeded to jump up and down.... again.

560536178_8SHk7-L.jpg560517573_BcYDF-M.jpg

Here are a few shots taken that night at about 11:30pm outside the Sealaska Inn...

560517788_NZLEU-L.jpg

560517996_j4wPW-L.jpg

I felt very happy and couldn't wait for morning to come so I could revisit this wonder little town called Hyder and the people that call it home! :clap:

Firefight911

Stupendous!! Trigger's gonna get pulled on this very trip very soon!!!

Wanna go!?!?!? Tom says you should go! ;)

Stupendous!! Trigger's gonna get pulled on this very trip very soon!!!

Wanna go!?!?!? Tom says you should go! ;)

I was thinking I need to go back up there for this...

560532429_vfep7-L.jpg

but it conflicts with something I have going on in NY on August the 8th.

When are you thinking? :grin:

My first morning in Hyder, I was anxious to walk around town to see what changes had occurred in the two years since I had been here last and to give Richard a tour.

558941925_B739r-L.jpg

It was great to see that there was new construction...

558942680_gr5z4-L.jpg

Right away I noticed there were not as many dogs as there had been two years earlier. But it was nice to see Daisy was still around and keeping an eye on things from the balcony above the General Store.

558942182_5Ym6R-L.jpg

That morning several Iron Butt riders rode into town.

558940490_SaYQj-L.jpg

This happy couple had just completed (two up) the Iron Butt 49 States in 10 Days ride (ride to all 48 continental states plus Alaska!) Xtreme! Way to go!!!!!

We walked down to the pier... a place that I just love! The views are spectacular...

558940154_jJwFK-L.jpg

558944119_BgANZ-L.jpg

558946261_WCF9i-L.jpg558947525_x4PRP-L.jpg

558937812_TuuDH-L.jpg

558948169_XoMAb-L.jpg558948904_YFyGs-L.jpg

The next stop was...

558958226_HqJRr-L.jpg I was looking forward to seeing Caroline, Daryl, and Joseph.

But I was disappointed when Caroline told me that Daryl and Joseph were not in Hyder.

(From 2007 pictures of Daryl and me holding Joseph)

156589532_EjRN5-M.jpg156589548_F2qk5-M.jpg

Caroline, Daryl and Joseph had moved 90 miles south of Hyder and Caroline had come back to Hyder just for Hyder Seek. She knows that a lot of people look forward to seeing her. She told me that Joseph has now been set free. There are not so many bears where they now live and Joseph is able to get outside. The blue protective tips on his claws have also been removed and he goes for walks with her. I'm happy for Joseph! :clap:

I quickly noticed that Caroline's hair was short and made the statement "you cut her hair!"

(First picture is Caroline in 2007 the second is a current one.)

156589540_RZpVG-M.jpg558950051_XMMkn-M.jpg

I was shocked by her answer... she had not cut her hair. Caroline had recently survived breast cancer. She has such a positive attitude and is looking forward to growing her hair long again. :clap: This is one talented, caring, warm soul. Seeing her again made me even happier that I had made this trip back to Hyder.

part two of day one to follow....

Jacqueline,

As always, :thumbsup::thumbsup:.

Looking forward to more.

Was the bear sign a beware of bear sign?

BTW, pictures confirm, Hi-Viz men can't jump.

:grin:

J

I think your photos and writing is even better than the first time.

This is fun.

:thumbsup:

+1.....It's an awesome way to spend a morning reading the story over a cup of coffee. I'm sooooo envious of you both. Some day, some day. At least your beautiful pics and story and the next best thing. Hi to both of you!!

day one in Hyder continued...

We wanted to ride up to Salmon Glacier to see the glacier and see if we could see any bear. "Salmon Glacier is North America's fifth largest glacier, and descends 4300ft to be reborn as the Salmon River. Looking truly like a river of ice this glacier shows a line of rock debris called a medial moraine running down the middle of the glacier. At various points one can see lateral moraines along the banks of the glacier. The face of the glacier changes always with crevasses being created by the cross movement of the ice flow. Looking across the valley one can see the Misty Fjord National Monument of the United States. The Salmon Glacier, encompasses all that is awe inspiring in the Great Outdoors of Alaska."

The Salmon River is known for the huge amount of salmon that spawn there every year. The area is heavily populated with bear and during spawning season each year the area is an active feeding ground for the bear.

We had been told that the week before the weather had been bad and there was still snow on the road into Salmon Glacier as well as a land slide that still needed to be cleared. We decided that we would go up the dirt road about five miles to see what we could see.

560533256_HhMVr-L.jpg

We reached the Bear viewing area...

558885075_dgcaw-L.jpg

558884523_WHj6Q-L.jpg

a large boardwalk built along the Salmon River to give the 40k visitors each year a birds eye view of the bear as they (the bear) pluck the fish out of the water.

558885946_i8U2r-L.jpg

558885537_zsayH-L.jpg

There were not any bear to be seen... just a Forest workers with a chain saw cutting some trees back along the waters edge...

558935992_3qvQx-L.jpg

but he was not alone. Above him on the board walk was another Forest worker keeping a watchful eye out for any bear that might pose a danger to the worker in the water.

558883064_vEre5-L.jpg

This man WAS armed and dangerous. He had all kinds of things with him including a gun!

558881073_Bhhk9-L.jpg

I can see why the bear like this place, it's very peaceful.

558879026_moZaz-L.jpg558878555_uJG9X-L.jpg

Someone lived here at one time... right on the river bank!

Not far from the bear viewing area was a beaver pond....

560515492_q3eiC-L.jpg

one would expect to see a Moose standing here... but we did not see any. Just a couple of beaver lodges.

560516699_kPTkh-L.jpg

This was the Smith lodge and on the other side of the pond was the Jones lodge :grin:.

We stayed at the beaver pond for about 20 minutes enjoying the view and the sounds of nature....

560519132_GiKux-L.jpg

560544231_pLtPh-L.jpg560544464_3fojw-L.jpg560544001_A4ekM-L.jpg560519493_JZSKe-L.jpg

Back at the Sealaska Inn riders were gathering for "Hyder Seek"

560519769_mzLNR-L.jpg

We all enjoyed a dinner of fish....Halibut and Salmon :thumbsup:

560543551_9wy7h-L.jpg

Richard was fast at making new friends...

560543317_4TBRy-L.jpg

with some of the fellow Iron Butt riders

as well as....

561045762_pyF46-L.jpg

with the locals. This gentleman is from Stewart, BC and is on the City Council! :thumbsup:

Richard even convinced one of them to get Hyderized with him...

560520733_Qgqka-L.jpg

Kelly explaining how it works.... pure gain alcohol, no spitting, must down it, glass of water...but that's only for whimps.

560520906_nPXr3-L.jpg

down the hatch!

560521087_XhJTa-L.jpg

the content of the empty glasses bring poured on the bar and lit...not much of a flame. Great job guys! :thumbsup:

The reward...

560521256_bYyrM-L.jpg

a piece of 2 x 3.5 inch card!!!! :grin:

As we mingled with everyone until late into the evening....a bear ran through town...right down the road; and as evening fell, out came the mosquitoes :eek:. WOW there weren't any two years ago! Two years ago when I was there it was very wet... raining... and there was still a lot of snow on the ground. This year it was dry and very warm. I think I like it when it's wet and cooler :thumbsup:.

A couple of views near the Inn...

560521740_z2Zfn-L.jpg

560521998_sJGdk-L.jpg

What a great day! But any day in Hyder, Alaska is GREAT :thumbsup:.

Day two in Hyder started with a wonderful breakfast at the Glacier Inn...

560524326_GrpoR-L.jpg

560524496_RFGVq-L.jpg

I noticed something different about Glacier Inn and I had to ask as I could not put my finger on it. One of the owners daughters said they had done a lot of work and a lot of deep cleaning... years of cigarette smoke had made it very dark inside (which is how I remember it). With the work and cleaning, it now was brighter.

560523386_ipbS3-L.jpg

Those are bills (money) on the wall above the bar... these bills are very dark from smoke. Bills just like those covered the ceiling... which have now been removed.

560522342_ga8h5-L.jpg

While sitting at the bar Calvin came to mind....

560522966_dYzEh-M.jpg560522782_zQvYj-M.jpg

I'm not sure why :grin:.

After breakfast we went for a short hide...

560525301_ipCq4-L.jpg

558876336_ZEfAW-L.jpg

558876955_eaA3m-L.jpg

558953420_LXMcY-L.jpg

and to have another look at Bear Glacier...

560542040_etZrD-L.jpg558953612_mWZ9G-L.jpg

We arrived back at the Sealaska Inn to find...

558870630_b2wuU-L.jpg558954517_uwukF-M.jpg

the Alaska State Trooper had arrived in town. Who informed them Richard was in town???? :rofl:

Talking with the locals I learned that the State Troopers only show up about twice a year unless there is a problem.... It turns out there were two teenagers in town that were ready to take their driving test and an elder resident had called them the week before while having problems with his grandson.

We also got to see this interesting vehicle in the daylight...

558869462_T4Nu8-L.jpg

We had seen it after dark but could not get a picture of it. I see that it is registered in three states, with Florida being one them! :rofl:

That evening Ron Ayers recognized the riders that had come for Hyder Seek...

558861363_Z2PL6-L.jpg

558860574_kULPN-L.jpg

87 riders had made it to Hyder. (Of that 87, I say 7 were female and 80 were man... man wishing their wives would ride with them). Six riders had completed the 48 Plus Alaska ride before arriving in Hyder. Out of the six, there was one couple two up. :clap:

There are also door prizes to be given out... The Grand prize for Hyder Seek 2009 was a 6-Day Alpine Escape Adventure in the Swiss and Italian Alps. I was thrilled to see this young man win it...

558956144_E8HSA-L.jpg

I'm guessing, but I think he was the youngest rider there. I hope the Alpine Adventure is just the beginning of his world riding adventures! :thumbsup:

A short time later a bear ran through town...and I just happened to walk in the same direction it went.... :grin:

558958536_C3KiX-L.jpg558958893_antYb-L.jpg

but all I found were these beautiful views....

558857777_ssSMf-L.jpg

558959136_AEPC6-L.jpg

Called it a night at about 9:30pm while the sun was still shinning... 4:00am comes early even in Alaska. Our short visit was coming to an end.

Archived