IGNORED

...the Twilight Zone! ............ AZ desert 2008

Whip

Simple enough, drive the motor home to AZ to meet some friends. Hang out by the camp fire, tell a few lies, eat some camp food, ride around the area on and off road, come home, go back to work.

Easy Right????????????????????

That's what I thought.

Here we go...............get the popcorn.

Mrs Whip has packed enough food for an army to live for a month in the Sahara. I have brought every tools and electrical contraption I could fit into the lower storage compartments of the RV. Generator, compressor, industrial strength battery charger ..etc ....etc ....etc.

It starts out normal enough. Noob *Chris* brings his KTM 690 Enduro to my house around 2pm Wednesday(his birthday). We load up his bike next to my 950 ADV. We stuff all the wood we can around the bikes and under the RV.

435662964_sBoto-L.jpg

As we drive west on I-10 time passes quickly, we don't even turn on the radio. We talk like long lost frat brothers.(We were both at TAMU at the same time) Louise can't take it any more and goes to the back of the RV and puts in her AZ Al's custom ear plugs.

We stop for the night in Las Cruces NM in Camp Walton # xxxx.

435662683_EJikh-L.jpg

We figure we'll be at the camp site late afternoon in plenty of time for dinner and watch the sunset.

You're traveling through another dimension -- a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's a signpost up ahead: your next stop: the Twilight Zone!

We pull into Safford AZ to get some diesel so we have plenty of fuel to run the generator at the campsite. I know there's power there, but we don't wanna trip the breakers or run the batteries down on the RV. BTDT at Texas World Speedway :dopeslap:

When I get out to pump the fuel I hear a sound that causes every self respecting engine owner to cringe. The sound of pistons knocking against the crank tryin to turn it the wrong direction at the wrong time. In a motor this big it is very loud. We are soon told of the greatest diesel mechanic in the world that happens to have a shop in Safford. After getting the directions to this divine desieler we are quickly lost. I stop and Chris asks a dude digging a ditch if he knows the dude. He does and again we hear of the greatness of the guy. We are again directed to the "great one". This time we listen better and find our way.

435664114_9KNMt-L.jpg

We meet "da man"....Jared

435663323_sJsAt-L.jpg

I tell him of our plight and doom. He quickly asses the problem to be a stuck injector not a piston goin through the block. He pulls his staff off whatever they are workin on and they start by replacing filters and seperaters. While they are doin that we take a tour of his toys.

435663223_pRhqf-L.jpg

435663568_Fy42U-L.jpg

435663847_jC75J-L.jpg

He has a reassuring quality about him that puts me at ease. He doesn't tell me how baaaaaad it could be or how long it may take to get fixed. He in confident in his assessment and I quit worrying about it. It also helps that Chris is not a worrier and Mrs Whip has been through everything possible just by being married to me.

We are back on the road in a few hours and the RV is still not running great, but it is better. We have an appointment back on Monday to check it out again on the way home.

435664383_8pUyx-L.jpg

Mean while JohnLT has called me several times wanting to know where we are so he can start dinner. AZ AL has called just to check on me and I really appreciate all the offers of help and moral support. It's always good to know your not alone.

Oh I forgot.....When I called Tom for help.....He hung up :(

435664797_BNv7N-L.jpg

We barely got the RV stopped before we are greeted/raided by a leather clad invader or should I say cookie monster.

435665038_G9bfq-L.jpg

Fires are lit food is ate, drinks are pored and all is forgotten.

Chris......who knew Santa was an Aggie????

435665982_2JGAq-L.jpg

JohnLT.....advertising.

435666175_8fjcQ-L.jpg

Mr Olson wondering if we have enough Scotch????...Wood?????

435665328_9ZGNZ-L.jpg

A leather clad SO CAL dude doin a dance with a Zarape.......I'm sure Rod was watchin from the bushes.

435665634_h8qwj-L.jpg

435665835_oVu5x-L.jpg

435665521_KrbgN-L.jpg

I've always heard you can become attached to your zarape.

435666696_NGoRt-L.jpg

I climb up on the RV to take a look around.....it's a beautiful mornin.

435666502_cC355-L.jpg

The lake water is so clear and clean.....

435666973_VdGKH-L.jpg

I can feel Rod's presents........he can't be far away. Who has the third eye?????? What's gonna happen next????????

I'm tellin ya......I never would have believed it had I not been there.

One minute Mr Olson's friend shows up and they are flying their remote control airplanes.

435667889_qzdAy-L.jpg

435668245_ksgin-L.jpg

The next. They are gettin butt a$# naked and jumpin into freezing water.....I bet you didn't see that comin!!!!

.....it happen and I didn't take any pix, cause I would of had to look through the view finder :dopeslap:

This is what they went into the water for...

435668408_zghW2-L.jpg

Around the same time Chris and Jan unload some bikes and play on the gravel.

"Hey Whip" what is your friend Mr Olson doin with the rocks?????

435667452_pwqeW-L.jpg

Don't mind him......he likes the rocks to be color coordinated.

435667677_ki9XL-L.jpg

Some of the riders go for an off road ride. I tell Chris not to worry these are really good people and you'll be safe. I forgot to tell him about Rod.

Anyway The rest of us sit around the campsite for most of the afternoon. We talk about goin for a ride, but we really aren't motivated. Killer is still on his way, Tom will be here soon...........so we just hang.

I finally feel like getting on the KTM and Jamie joins me for a ride up and back from Globe........Rod must split his time between groups..........cause...................

The man that has Solar Panels on his roof and lives as green as you can...........gets a ticket for

436226633_PR4Ax-L.jpg

At least Rod has a sense of humor.

435669090_8YaKT-L.jpg

I asked the nice policeman if I could take a picture of him with Jamie, he said, "as long as it's not incriminating" I said, "not for you" :wave:

435669367_cR5vb-L.jpg

Jamie was still a little hot, but it was really my fault. I wasn't payin attention.

We stopped to check out the local digs, but they weren't accepting offers at this time.

435669847_raAfy-L.jpg

I did like the uniforms.......

435669690_Q2Tzn-L.jpg

On the way back to camp...

435670063_V5o7g-L.jpg

Noob Chris was not so safe after all.......Rod turned his foot green and made it swell.

435670540_BXGS9-L.jpg

Tom stole Jamie's blankey..........Janet, Killer, Howard, Camile(not pictured) and Mikko showed up.

435670388_zGveQ-L.jpg

We all stayed warm by the fire.....

435670185_XbNGx-L.jpg

Who's a#$ is this???????????????

435670997_d99Xe-L.jpg

By mornin we find out that Rod had made another appearance during the night. One gallon of Scotch is missing. Chris swears that someone rubbed the top of his head and tried to sleep on the couch with him. Mr Olson fearing for his life, left the RV and locked himself in the drivers seat of his car. He says he doesn't remember how he got there. :eek:

He(Mr Olson) was seen praying on his knees in the RV before he disappeared. :(

...more to come!!!

I'll do the rest tomorrow.

Calvin  (no socks)

Mechanical nightmares could have been avoided with AZ Al's ear plugs....Presto.............Noise gone! Works on my BMW! :grin:

Francois_Dumas
If I wasn't keeping the Monkies from killing the stock market, I would have taken your call....maybe ;)

:rofl:

Whip, SUPERB tale and great pictures !!! Wish I could've been there (again).... one of these days :)

...kinda.

We did some riding before Rod scared Mr Olson into his drivers seat and then again the next day. The pix are all mixed up so don't ask which is which.

This is a local guy that helped us out on Saturday.

Pat

435674872_ZzASA-L.jpg

JohnLT

435674372_AGEP9-L.jpg

435674758_Fw4pH-L.jpg

Jan(Twisties)

435677273_SPoCk-L.jpg

435678474_4s2Np-L.jpg

Howard(Phillyflash)

435679491_S64zR-L.jpg

435676723_z6jHL-L.jpg

Bob....(Killer)

435677879_SDKKT-L.jpg

435679124_8UNwB-L.jpg

Posing

435676224_cAdpo-L.jpg

435675619_voGut-L.jpg

Howard looks like he was having fun.

435679829_S9FUG-L.jpg

Bob........."you said this was gonna be an easy ride???????"

...."It would have been if we would have turned left instead of right, now I don't know where we are." :rofl:

NICE!!!!!

435680403_2tLBY-L.jpg

435680219_Zh4dA-L.jpg

We ended up having to go back the way we came..........After a few more get offs and fall downs the group limps back to camp for the Scotch and the Advil.

435680789_qCFDu-L.jpg

It was a great two days of riding.

Side Note.....The new 690 Enduro is an amazing machine. Almost as light as my WR450. Very short too. Not anything like the tall monster 640 ADV. A motor and set up that feels like it would work good for a track day. Handles the dirt very good and with a little wind management and a better seat, you could ride it across country. The breaks were a little too sensitive for my taste on the dirt. On an up hill blind lefty I got the front wheel up a little and touch the front break. I went down so fast I thought someone shot the bike out from under me. I had no problem with the steep rutted and rocked downhill stuff as long as I scrubbed the speed early and didn't wait till panic time. It also didn't help that the rear brake lever was bent by the owner the day before and was made almost unusable.

Sunday evening was spent watching Chris's foot swell.

435671542_MTNG2-L.jpg

Rod made a quick appearance before everyone left Sunday night.

You're traveling through another dimension -- a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's a signpost up ahead: your next stop: the Twilight Zone!

I would not have believed it had I not seen it myself....and now I have a photo to prove it.

435670770_xRP4i-L.jpg

JohnLT told us how great married life is after 100 years.

...and the waving man would soon we worth his weight in gold.

435671202_rFvDH-L.jpg

Sometime throughout the night JohnLT lost track of the cookie he was saving for breakfast. It was the last cranberry/oatmeal cookie and he was hording it. Problem was he got up so early it was still dark and he had forgotten he put it in his sleeping bag with him.

435672605_Cp7Un-L.jpg

It looks like he did get a little midnight snack after all.

435672839_pRwH6-L.jpg

Monday mornin we packed up and got ready for lift off. I took some final pix of the campsite.

435671788_h8Fvm-L.jpg

435672085_SnYXP-L.jpg

....and this one of the lake.

435672410_F7wZy-L.jpg

I could feel Rod breathin down my neck has I got behind the wheel.

turned the key

nothin

it would crank and crank and crank

We had no cell service.

But because of the forethought and kind heart of a wonderful man and friend.............

Jan had decided not to leave even though he was ready an hour ago, just to make sure we were alright. Now he drove me to the convenient store 12 miles away so I could feed their phone quarters while I got Jared on the phone. He quickly came to the phone with a plan, but I needed to call him back around 3pm to finalized. Jan without hesitation called his mother and Sharon(Bullet) informed them of our plight and then would not leave us till we were mobile. I will forever be in his debt and would like to formally thank him again for being such a fine gentleman......I prolly should apologize to his mother for keeping sonny away another day. I did talk to Sharon, she was having a party or somethin :rofl:.

Anyway......there are worse places to be stranded than Roosevelt Lake AZ.....with enough food for a month. Scotch was running low till Louise told me about a secret stash from the dude that hung up on me. All was forgiven. ;)

Anyway as the day went on it was clear the best thing to do was wait till Tuesday for reinforcements. Jared said he would be at the campsite by 8am.

With nothin to do but eat and drink, Mrs Whip insisted we watch her favorite show.

435673080_xUr6k-L.jpg

435673105_nB8XP-L.jpg

We watched all 7 episodes........."Long Way Round"

After dark that night we get a knock on the camper door. It was two of Jared staff here to see what they can do. They get it started. We feed em burgers, beer, they watch a little LWR. In the mornin it fires up and we get to Jared's shop 100 miles away in Safford. Jan waves bye bye in Globe.

They replace a dead injector........When I go up to the counter to pay the bill. I see it's blank. Jared says.......Larry I don't wanna take advantage of ya. What do you think is fair??? :eek:

He wrote down what the parts cost and I give him a number. We shake hands and I promise I will stay in touch with the "greatest diesel mechanic in the world" ....I may even ship him my 72 Chevelle to finish.(he does work on all engines)

435673645_ogwpk-L.jpg

We drive through the night and arrive at my house at early Wednesday mornin. Chris gets to his doctors appointment for his foot,(falls asleep during the examination) but his daughter powder puff football game is canceled because of the snow.

Rod had not forgotten about us.........it snows on and off throughout the entire night.

.....and there is snow on our roof when we get home.

435673968_m3Edh-L.jpg

I can't wait for next time........anyone wanna buy a motor home???????

:mad:

I really don't wanna see Rod again for some time.......he can be so cruel.

Whip

All great adventures have some adversity...and you sure had your share:

Bob

Howard

John

They always say trouble comes in threes.

Good tale...sad that I missed it.

Adversity is fine, but enough is enough.

When the doctor saw how green my foot turned immediately after the accident, he decided surgery was required.

435670540_BXGS9-L.jpg

I will have surgery on Thursday, then they will put a cast on the 29th, then 6 to 8 weeks later they will remove the cast, I go back into surgery to have the screw removed, then two weeks in a splint and I should be ready to begin rehabilitation.

The brake lever on the KTM should be fixed tomorrow. Of course, if they put me in a weight bearing cast, I should be riding again before New Years.

Great write up Whip.

I should be riding again before New Years.

Now that is the 'Ol BMWST attitude!!!

Great story Whipster! Very worthy!

I wish I could say I was surprised by your local "host's" hang up, but I'm not. He doesn't return calls anymore either...

You know, I used to be one of his two friends (we won't discuss why he only had 2.) Now he won't even drive out to see me in a 4WD because it might rain somewhere in Ca. :dopeslap:

...anyone wanna buy a motor home???????

Ah, the classic love/hate relationship of an RV owner to his rig. My theory is that RV breakdowns are similar to the pain of childbirth: over time, the memory of it pain fades, and you can even laugh about it, until the next event, where you find yourself wondering why the Hell you did this again. OTOH, you've got a nice new set of memories that you might not have otherwise, right? And so it goes. :smirk:

Great tale, bud. :thumbsup: Sorry 'bout the inconvenience.

Nice tale :thumbsup:

And the story was good, too :rofl:

Glad you are to rise above your adversity and had friends stand by your side until you had things underway :thumbsup:

What's next :lurk:

Great tale, Whip. I had a great time riding those trails, even if I was scared to death that I was going to crash hard or go off the mountain. Fortunately, neither of those happened. I'll have to try again next time.

By the way, you forgot to mention about Rod sending those families of Javalina's running back and forth through our camp Saturday night. Those were some big, ugly suckers.

Great tale, Whip. I had a great time riding those trails, even if I was scared to death that I was going to crash hard or go off the mountain. Fortunately, neither of those happened. I'll have to try again next time.

By the way, you forgot to mention about Rod sending those families of Javalina's running back and forth through our camp Saturday night. Those were some big, ugly suckers.

..and the coyotes in the parking lot at 6am.......howling and barking like it was the end of the world.

I can't wait for next time........anyone wanna buy a motor home???????

I do believe I recently saw somewhere that Killer was looking for one... :rofl:

OH MAN! I didn't realize you were having RV trouble when you called. That explains everything; and to think I thought you were merely "Sh*t-faced." :grin:

I'm glad to hear y'all made it home alright, and that Jan behaved himself. ;)

Edit: And has anyone ever seen Howard without a smile on his face?

Great tale, course me being mechanical and all, really perked up to the bike ride reports. Love that new 690, just no where to ride here but I-20, arrrrr.

Think you would have to leave the state to even get to look at the 690 (in any form) or the WR series, ha.

In my view, the single person most responsible for the success of this adventure was Mrs. Whip. She is one of the most respected members of our community contributing in many ways, especially ride tale pics, but on this adventure, her hospitality stood above all else. Thank you again Louise, you're a real jewel.

I'd run a series of controlled experiments and see if perhaps the RT got better mileage at the speed he was going.

Then go to court with charts, 8x10 color glossy photos and a Power Point set to the tune of Alice's Restaurant.

I know my car really does get better mileage at some higher speeds than lower ones on comparable raods. (Based on computer in car)

I'd run a series of controlled experiments and see if perhaps the RT got better mileage at the speed he was going.

Then go to court with charts, 8x10 color glossy photos and a Power Point set to the tune of Alice's Restaurant.

I know my car really does get better mileage at some higher speeds than lower ones on comparable raods. (Based on computer in car)

The other option was a $200 speeding ticket and a permanent mark on our driving records.

Besides.....I like wasting finite resources :rofl:.....I do it as often has I can.

;)

Congratulations to Whip on the Report and to all for the winter-time entertainment. Condolences to Mr. Olsen on the greening of the foot.

Whatever you broke, I hope they can and did fix well. At least the problem did not happen in the Springtime.

Well good all and get well soon.

Jan, if you are not home yet, you might consider staying in Az a bit longer... woke up this morning (Tuesday) to day 3 of snow.

Yeesh Chris..... That's awful. What did they decide the problem is?

Broken bone and torn ligament. Going to put a screw in to make sure the bone heals correctly because it is broken right at a joint. Doctor believes the ligament will heal fine.

Of course, what else is he going to say?

Can ya post a pic of the X-rays.

Richard always does.

:thumbsup:

I actually thought of that, but didn't have my camera or phone when he was showing me the results of the CT scan.

Can ya post a pic of the X-rays.

Richard always does.

:thumbsup:

I actually thought of that, but didn't have my camera or phone when he was showing me the results of the CT scan.

Not to worry, Chris. I'm hacking into your medical history right now...

Ummm...What with all these visits to the free clinic in your younger years??? :grin:

Ummm...What with all these visits to the free clinic in your younger years??? :grin:

That was not a free clinic, that was the Quack Shack on the TAMU campus. We paid for that with our tuition.

Those visits were for multiple casts and once for a motorcycle wreck where I came away finding out I had Mono.

A couple years there, I more than got my money's worth from the Quack Shack. I think it was something like $15 a semester.

That was not a free clinic, that was the Quack Shack on the TAMU campus. We paid for that with our tuition.

Those visits were for multiple casts and once for a motorcycle wreck where I came away finding out I had Mono.

A couple years there, I more than got my money's worth from the Quack Shack. I think it was something like $15 a semester.

I was tryin to remember what they called that............

"The Quack Shack"

.......I managed to avoid that while doin my time.

I was tryin to remember what they called that............

"The Quack Shack"

.......I managed to avoid that while doin my time.

Marginal doctors, but some really nice nurses...

Nurses? :D

Careful........you don't want the Squirrel to gather your nuts.

:P

Yea, glass house and all!!!

Damn! I gotta win the lottery or something. I am missing way too much fun. I missed Jaqueline and Rich's tech day because of work. I missed Torrey because of work. I missed the Great Arizona fest because of work. Damn!

Cheers!

Todd

Nurses? :D

Careful........you don't want the Squirrel to gather your nuts.

I've been following the tofu, Scrabble, and gym posts...

I'm not too sure there's anything left to gather. :lurk:

Archived