IGNORED

Austin Texas Tech Daze - Jan. 17

Limecreek

Another possibility is Hilton Garden Inn NW/Arboretum, it's actually in northwest Austin but almost as close to Greg's place as anything else including Cedar Park motels.

Or take a look at what google shows for nearby motels at http://maps.google.com/maps?near=2903+Welton+Cliff+Dr,+Cedar+Park,+TX+78613&geocode=&q=motel&f=l&sll=30.489509,-97.823982&sspn=0.149995,0.307617&ie=UTF8&ll=30.44453,-97.817802&spn=0.142961,0.307617&z=12

What supplies do I need for a FD and transmission fluid change besides gear oil? Do I need crush washers for the drain plugs?

Dave, the manual calls for new crush washers for both the drain and fill ends of the transmission. I just did this, and used new washers...first time in my life I haven't just re-used the old ones. I feel better about myself. When I did the FD change, I didn't use a new washer. Lone Star's got 'em.

You'll need something to catch the fluids in, unless Greg has something, and I'll try to remember to bring a little squeeze bottle with a long "nose" on it for filling the FD...it's graduated, so you know exactly how much to put in...you might want to rattle my cage about this right before the 17th.

A really valuable thing to have for changing the transmission oil is a trained spider monkey, trained to remove the drain plug and not let it fall into the funnel, plugging the funnel, causing you to use up all your shop towels and your wife's bathrobe to stem the ensuing flood o' stinky stuff. The monkeys are easily trained with cigarettes as rewards...

smoking_monkey.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this up to the top. If the weather cooperates we will have a good turnout. I'll definitely need help this time. See you all a week from Saturday.

I am an "inquiring mind" strongly considering a BMW r12rt and would like to show up and watch. I have done all maintenance on my bikes in the past but the salesman stated that I should let a "trained expert" perform all maintenance on a r12rt if I get one. Anyways, I would like to go to see how difficult (or not) it is to work on these bikes.

thanks!

Kevin....

Hi everyone I'm Steve and new to this forum. I would love to come to the Tech session and meet everyone.

Gosh, there goes the neighborhood. :grin:

Wayne

Hi everyone I'm Steve and new to this forum. I would love to come to the Tech session and meet everyone.

Gosh, there goes the neighborhood. :grin:

Wayne

Bite me Wayne. :wave:

Be careful or I'll turn Terry's front tire around backwords next time.

Greg, Hi my name is Tom re:cactuscurve and I would like to sign up for your Tech session Jan 17. I have a 08 R1200RT with 6500 miles.

I need to do the 6K service but have done the oil change. Please send me any details: parts needed, supplies directions.

Thanks,

Tom Murray

335-0156

murray_photo@hotmail.com

Wow, this is going to be some turnout. You gotta love Texas in January.

Tom, welcome. I'll send out supply list and address info when I return to Austin in a few days.

The folks that are coming and have experience...and you know who you are--count on working, and thank you in advance for you help! :thumbsup:

Hey Eric F., are you riding up for this one?

Gosh,

looks like the whole damn state is showing up for this one...

I'm likely to show up, if only for an oil change and a valve adjustment check.

yeehaw!

markgoodrich

Greg, should I bring

Twinmax

Parnes plug thingie puller

Valve feeler gauges

Functional torque wrench in lieu of those stupid clicky ones :dopeslap:

Torx screw tools

Etc, for people to use? I won't be needing anything more than the brake fluid flush, assuming I can get my new Motolights installed.

Greg, should I bring Twinmax Parnes plug thingie puller Valve feeler gauges Functional torque wrench in lieu of those stupid clicky ones :dopeslap: Torx screw tools Etc, for people to use? I won't be needing anything more than the brake fluid flush, assuming I can get my new Motolights installed.

Please bring it all. That will give us 3 sets of tune up tools to have on hand. Thx!

Ok you bunch of losers...... Greg won't say the following cause he is a nice guy. Me on the other hand.....I am not, so listen up. Sounds like he is going to have a bunch of you yahoos in his garage, more than usual so please consider the following:

1.) Please bring all supplies that you will need to do your service, oil, filters, etc.

2.) Don't show up at 3:00pm expecting to do a 24K service, get there early, finish your bike, then help the next guy.

3.) Remember to pony up for the food and drink.

4.) Speaking of food and drink, Sandy will probably go all out as she usually does. She is a wonderful hostess and cook and always makes an effort to make us feel at home in HER house. It would not hurt to bring along a token of your appreciation, flowers, diamonds or gold would be nice. LOL, you get my drift.

markgoodrich
Ok you bunch of losers...... Greg won't say the following cause he is a nice guy. Me on the other hand.....I am not, so listen up. Sounds like he is going to have a bunch of you yahoos in his garage, more than usual so please consider the following:

1.) Please bring all supplies that you will need to do your service, oil, filters, etc.

2.) Don't show up at 3:00pm expecting to do a 24K service, get there early, finish your bike, then help the next guy.

4.) Speaking of food and drink, Sandy will probably go all out as she usually does. She is a wonderful hostess and cook and always makes an effort to make us feel at home in HER house. It would not hurt to bring along a token of your appreciation, flowers, diamonds or gold would be nice. LOL, you get my drift.

Always nice to hear from you, Steve :thumbsup:

Jake....... you will fit right in (loser, yahoo and general degenerate). Hope you can make it, it will be good to see you again and you can help me keep the rest of the above mentioned personalties in line. Especially the ones that whine about the stench of our fine cigars. :rofl:

Greg, should I bring

Twinmax

Parnes plug thingie puller

Valve feeler gauges

Functional torque wrench in lieu of those stupid clicky ones :dopeslap:

Torx screw tools

Etc, for people to use? I won't be needing anything more than the brake fluid flush, assuming I can get my new Motolights installed.

Mark, don't forget to bring the graduated long nose squeeze bottle for filling the final drive. I'm hoping to do a final drive fluid change. Since so many people are coming, I decided to do most of my 48K service last week, so I've got al that done except for checking TB sych. I should be able to provide some assistence to the hard-core novices.

I just talked to Sandi and she is working up a menu for Saturday. Count on a January appropriate meal.

On another note--I'll start checking weather this weekend and report it here. We've had a mild and dry winter so far.

Cheers!

For those who may want to use them who will be doing brake flushes I'll bring the funny shaped box wrench for taking the thing ama jigs loose from the brake box doo hicky and some wooden blocks to cram between the brake pads and the little funnel thingy for screwing into the brake box doo hicky..

For those who may want to use them who will be doing brake flushes I'll bring the funny shaped box wrench for taking the thing ama jigs loose from the brake box doo hicky and some wooden blocks to cram between the brake pads and the little funnel thingy for screwing into the brake box doo hicky..

I hate it when you go all native on us.........

Brother Lime,

I always bring a bunch of hand tools, but would you like me to bring an extra fan for the throttle syncs?

I am an "inquiring mind" strongly considering a BMW r12rt and would like to show up and watch. I have done all maintenance on my bikes in the past but the salesman stated that I should let a "trained expert" perform all maintenance on a r12rt if I get one. Anyways, I would like to go to see how difficult (or not) it is to work on these bikes.

thanks!

Kevin....

Kevin, if you look up three posts above yours, you'll see the "trained expert".

I, in the company of swmckinley and Limecreek learned to do all basic maintenance on my R11RT. Granted, I'm much smarter than your average doornail, but I suspect that the R12RT is not terribly more complicater than mine with some caveats thrown in to keep the old foot off the mouth.

Greg, If I'm alive and in Austin, I will bring my flat screwdriver, pocket knife and pliers; basic tool set used for all major mechanic work performed in Mexico. I will also bring the twinmax, torx, valve feelers and torque wrench.

markgoodrich

thanks!

Kevin....

Kevin, show up, you'll see that the R12 series is not difficult to work on. It's a bit of a hassle to get at everything, but otherwise everything is pretty straightforward. I attended Greg's last tech day, a year ago, and was the Group Dunce, yet since then I've done all my own services, thanks to what I learned. And everyone who was there last year will absolutely tell you, "If Mark can not only learn it but do it unaided, a trained monkey can. Just keep him (Mark, not the monkey) away from clicky torque wrenches."

markgoodrich
Jake....... Hope you can make it

It all depends on if 'ol Cider Creek is open on Friday. My motto is "Will Ride For Pie".

grand_champion_pie.jpg

Whereat, man, whereat?

Brother Lime,

I always bring a bunch of hand tools, but would you like me to bring an extra fan for the throttle syncs?

I'm almost tempted to say yes, just so I can see you hauling a fan up from south Texas. :grin: I have two, so we should be covered.

You know you are hanging out with BMW riders when someone asks if they can bring an extra fan. :rofl:

markgoodrich
Brother Lime,

I'm almost tempted to say yes, just so I can see you hauling a fan up from south Texas. :grin: I have two, so we should be covered.

You know you are hanging out with BMW riders when someone asks if they can bring an extra fan. :rofl:

Jeez, Edd, I know you're sort of an old school guy, but there's a thing called a Twinmax that can be used to synch the th'ottle bodies real easy.

I just talked to Sandi and she is working up a menu for Saturday. Count on a January appropriate meal.

On another note--I'll start checking weather this weekend and report it here. We've had a mild and dry winter so far.

Cheers!

So far, the forecast looks good; weather.com is curently forecasting a low of 39. a high of 61, and sunny for the 17th.

Steve,is the above rules aply to the special guest like my self?

If yes,then I'm staying in Houston.

Gus..................

PS:How many people they're gone be there???

Hi Coco. Right now it looks like we have about 20 folks showing up, with about half of those needing service. [/quote

Hi Greg,I thing I'll be able to make it up there,I'll let you know...I might need to do flush my brakes while I'm there with the help of others,so I need to know what I need,brake fluid,ect...

I think someone from Houston area is going to go out there,if yes then we can get in touch and ride together...

I'll keep in touch,Constantine.

Coco...I live in Bellaire and plan to go if I'm well. Been fighting the flu most of the week and hoping I will be well by the weekend...

Coco--bring 2 bottles of DOT 4 brake fluid--the small 12 oz bottles, and try to arrive with your tank close to empty.

Hey Greg,

Sure seems that 'Nicer 'n Hell' weather is more popular than 'Hotter 'n Hell' because it looks like you have half the state turning out. :grin: If you have room for one more I'd really like to see a naked GT since that bike is on my short list... just need to scope out the maintenance issues and this seems like the place. Plus would like to meet the bunch and always happy to help out anyone else of course... Can ya fit one more in?

Hey Seth---We'd love to have you. Let's hope the weather holds! You are welcome to take a spin on the K too if you like, but I warn you; it may be dangerous to your check book.

Coco--bring 2 bottles of DOT 4 brake fluid--the small 12 oz bottles, and try to arrive with your tank close to empty.

Does the tank need to be removed to do a brake flush?

Yep. Everyone should try to arrive close to empty...easier on the backs.

Yep. Everyone should try to arrive close to empty...easier on the backs.

Is that true for all model years or just for those with servo assisted brakes?. It was my understanding that 07 and later RTs could be done just like any other conventional system.

Archived