IGNORED

Austin Texas Tech Daze - Jan. 17

Limecreek

Come one and come all. This is your chance to learn how to work on your R or K bike or help someone else learn the basics.

The garage opens at 8:00 on Saturday morning and we will stay open until we run out of things to do--tires included.

Hmmmm.

Another SS1k, in January? (Scratchin' chin)

Oh Ma-aaaatt.

:lurk:

That's what we use to call a "cake walk".

Yeah, but he hasn't done one yet.

He keeps talkin' about it, so maybe he needs a "coach". :grin:

Besides, I still need to show your dogs they can trust me. :/

Yeah, but he hasn't done one yet.

He keeps talkin' about it, so maybe he needs a "coach". :grin:

Besides, I still need to show your dogs they can trust me. :/

We added one since your last meeting of the hounds---a Mini Rat Terrier named Gracie--she is a piece of work.

Meeting Gracie will give me a reason to ride up that way that almost overcomes the negatives of dealing with the other riffraff your Tech Daze attract.

IN!

Meeting Gracie will give me a reason to ride up that way that almost overcomes the negatives of dealing with the other riffraff

IN!

Know what you mean; heard you were planning to attend & immediately had the same thought!! :grin:

IN!

Look forward to seeing you there Ed.

I'm in, need brake fluid change, will try to get all the rest done beforehand, will bring my own damn torque wrench, thank you.

Money savers: Amazon offers the Purolator PL10241 right now, twofer $5.48 after rebate. You can also get oil from Amazon; haven't been able to find the NGK plugs there.

Hmmmm.

Another SS1k, in January? (Scratchin' chin)

Oh Ma-aaaatt.

:lurk:

Would that I could, but we already have tickets bought and reservations made for the Big gig in NYC at the Cycle World show.

Is the weather there any more predictable in Jan. than it is in April?

January is dry--hell, it's been very dry here now for 8 months, and it is cold in the mornings and 50-60 in the afternoon. For me it is one of my favorite months to ride here in Texas.

I'm thinkin even though it's not called for it might not hurt to replace a portion of the clutch fluid every two years when I do the brakes..If I just suctioned out most of what the clutch fluid reservoir holds and replaced it every two years it would be easy and good insurance especially since I plan to keep this bike..What kind and how much clutch fluid and brake fluid should I bring?

I'm thinkin even though it's not called for it might not hurt to replace a portion of the clutch fluid every two years when I do the brakes..If I just suctioned out most of what the clutch fluid reservoir holds and replaced it every two years it would be easy and good insurance especially since I plan to keep this bike..What kind and how much clutch fluid and brake fluid should I bring?

It's mineral oil. Don't bother as it is not hygroscopic.

I have a kit to flush and replace the fluid, but Phil is right; why bother? It does not degrade with age, nor does it absorb water.

I have a kit to flush and replace the fluid, but Phil is right; why bother? It does not degrade with age, nor does it absorb water.

Okay, okay...I guess I've been reading you BMW guys too much lately..I'll bet you and Phil don't change the air in your tires either.. :grin:

I'll bet you and Phil don't change the air in your tires either.. :grin:

Don't you make me come out there! And, no, I don't change the air in the tires. I just change the bike.

Don't you make me come out there! And, no, I don't change the air in the tires. I just change the bikes.

Fixed it for you.

Don't you make me come out there! And, no, I don't change the air in the tires. I just change the bikes.

Fixed it for you.

Ain't that the truth.....

Phil, you must be Arnie's hero with all the sales tax you pay to Kalifornia.... :lurk:

(fresh stock tip --> buy Pirate's Lair and Touratech) :thumbsup:

(btw- thought you sold the GS....... ;) )

I'm in, need brake fluid change, will try to get all the rest done beforehand, will bring my own damn torque wrench, thank you.

Money savers: Amazon offers the Purolator PL10241 right now, twofer $5.48 after rebate. You can also get oil from Amazon; haven't been able to find the NGK plugs there.

I'll be in need of a brake fluid change too. By then, my 07 RT might also be ready for a 48K service.

Yeeha! Stephen

Okay, okay...I guess I've been reading you BMW guys too much lately..I'll bet you and Phil don't change the air in your tires either.. :grin:

I changed the air in my bike's tires today. Man, did that fresh air make it ride better... I stayed out till dark this evening.

I changed the air in my bike's tires today. Man, did that fresh air make it ride better... I stayed out till dark this evening.

Trouble maker!! :grin:
Count me in. Looking forward. Any chance of doing new tires?

Herman

Strap them to your bike and bring them with you. I have tire changing equipment.

Yeeha! Stephen

Trouble maker!! :grin:

I actually knew people that thought that was true.

In the 50's and 60's my Dad owned an Exxon station (when they were Humble/ENCO). I worked the islands as a kid. We had some "Well To Do" folks, driving Lincolns and Caddys, that would make me let the air out of their tires and put fresh air back in, swearing that they could feel the difference in the ride.

OMG! What hell I went through when Fina came out with "Pink Air".

"What color is your air?"

"Will Humble's air rot my tires?"

"How heavy is your air?"

"I have Pink air in my tires, you air won't mix with it."

And so on...

So, my Dad made me tell folks that Fina's Pink Air was Winter air and it wasn't any good for the Texas heat (or vise-versa depending on the seasons) and they gotta have our air, it's specially shipped in for Humble's "Special" customers.

Flash-back : Wish I had a dollar for every windshield I've washed.

_

[quote=Yeeha! Stephen

Hey sonny! How bout checkin that oil while you're at it! ;)

Yeeha! Stephen

Hey sonny! How bout checkin that oil while you're at it! ;)

That was a chore too, thanks for reminding me! :P

No twist off caps on the bottles. You had to punch one of those spout thingies through the metal top, remember? I remember the can sides were cardbaord, and if you didn't have a quick sure hand at punching the spout, the side of the can would crush and spill oil everywhere. Yuk!

Memory #3... I was so happy when we got a powered wringer for our window wiping rags.

Memory #4... Washing cars for $2 and the shop got a dollar and I got a dollar. Big $$ for an 8 year old in '60!

Memory # 5... We would write the customers name on a piece of white medical tape and stick it to the inside of the car's gas door. So, when the customer "dinged" in to the island, I could run out, flip open the gas door and call the customer by name when I asked "fill 'er up Mrs. Johnson?" Made a lot of "quarter" tips that way. More big $$ in 1960.

Memory #6... Texas Vehicle Inspections used to expire ALL on the same day. Every car... no monthly stagger back then. Cars that waited till the last day would be lined up around the block. I made extra $$ selling lemonade to those thirsty folks waiting in their hot cars. More big $$ for a kid in 1960.

So, how come I ain't rich by now? Hmmmmmmmmm...

I'll show up if we can ride the next day??????

I may even get my hands dirty if someone can show me how to change the oil on my K.

:rofl:

He's got jokes!!!!!

I'll show up if we can ride the next day??????

I may even get my hands dirty if someone can show me how to change the oil on my K.

:rofl:

When did you decide oil changes to be necessary? I thought you had oil changes in the same category as bike washes.... :rofl:

I just purchased an oil extractor for my K and a kit to change the coolant, so the only thing we can't do on our own is valves--but I am working on that too.

I wana go plz.. I want to learn how to change my oil and tires on my K1200GT. Can I have some Michelin Pilot Road 2s shipped there for the occasion?

Thanks a bunch!!!

Allen in Houston

I wana go plz.. I want to learn how to change my oil and tires on my K1200GT. Can I have some Michelin Pilot Road 2s shipped there for the occasion?

Thanks a bunch!!!

Allen in Houston

Ship'em here....its been done before. I'll PM my addy.

So, anybody up for helping me do a 6K service on a 2004 R1150R? Was going to take it into Lone Star (as we have been doing, but this tech day coincides with approximate date I have to get it done, and it's about time I started doing more wrenching on the bikes).

Wayne

So, anybody up for helping me do a 6K service on a 2004 R1150R? Was going to take it into Lone Star (as we have been doing, but this tech day coincides with approximate date I have to get it done, and it's about time I started doing more wrenching on the bikes).

Wayne

Absolutely. Help will be available.

So, anybody up for helping me do a 6K service on a 2004 R1150R?

Like Ed said, there will be plenty of folks to help--some may even know what they are doing. :thumbsup:

Howdy Greg!

Deb and I aim to be there and would be happy to assist!

Any motels, B&B's nearby as we aim on staying overnight and riding the next a.m.

The Marriot out at Horseshoe Bay Resort is very nice and only about a 30 minute ride to the West out 1431 and through Marble falls. The onsite restaurant and bar are very nice and the rooms are top notch. I was there about a month ago and enjoyed my stay.

www.hsbresort.com

I'll circle back with an Austin B&B suggestion.

Anything nearish you is fine too, if you don't mind furners as neighbors :eek:

More concerned about the ride back to the hotel in the dark!

Philby,

It's not really close and it's on the east side but I have reservations at Best Western in Taylor, Tx for 16th and 17th..Shouldn't be bad for deer after dark and the price is good. (under $80.00) . I've stayed there in the past and it was pretty nice..

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/selectHotel.do?iata=00158210

Howdy Greg!

Deb and I aim to be there and would be happy to assist!

Any motels, B&B's nearby as we aim on staying overnight and riding the next a.m.

We live about 25 minutes from Greg's house. We have three empty bedrooms (well, there's no people in them but they're fully furnished, including queen size beds), all available at the extremely low Tech Daze price of exactly ZERO DOLLARS, free morning coffee included. There's also room in the luxurious carpeted garage for FREE overnight motorcycle parking. First come, first served, send me a PM.

If the weather's good the next day, we'll be riding, too...mebbe east to get away from the impending cedar pollen storm, mebbe not.

Greg et al, if Santy decides to bring me a set of MotoLights, would that be an appropriate thing to install at the Tech Daze? Only other thing I need to do is the brake flush.

Regarding MotoLights, I think I have the basic concept, but I think the ideal aux light setup for conspicuity would be a set that brightens (like the tail/brake light setup in the R1200RT) when the flash to pass or high beam is switched on...anyone know of such a setup?

Thx.

Greg et al, if Santy decides to bring me a set of MotoLights, would that be an appropriate thing to install at the Tech Daze? Only other thing I need to do is the brake flush.

Regarding MotoLights, I think I have the basic concept, but I think the ideal aux light setup for conspicuity would be a set that brightens (like the tail/brake light setup in the R1200RT) when the flash to pass or high beam is switched on...anyone know of such a setup?

Thx.

Hey Mark -- why don't you give me a call so we can talk about wiring your aux lights--there are several ways you could go. (Four-One-Nine, 8309)

Anything nearish you is fine too, if you don't mind furners as neighbors :eek:

More concerned about the ride back to the hotel in the dark!

HI Express: www.trails.com/all-hotels/hotel-info.asp?hotelid=52405

Hampton: http://hamptoninn.hilton.com/en/hp/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=AUSCCHX

B&B: http://www.robinsnestlaketravis.com/

Lake Cabins: http://austincabinrentals.com/

Or google B&B Cedar Park and they will all come up.

See you soon.

Archived