IGNORED

23 Years & I'm Leaving The BMW Marque

Chunky

thencamebronson

I know that the price of BMW batteries has gone through the roof. I think I was quoted ca 140 at a dealership last month. So $220 installed is about right.

Another poster who apparently works in a dealership talks about Triumph trade-ins. I agree, my time in the dealership corrobarates your experience. Triumphs were always the hardest to start and hardest to sell.

Normally I would agree with you about the minimum labor charge but remember this was my 4th visit for the same problem. They either warranty their work or they don't.

I missed that the battery had something to do with warranty.

I have spoken with a number of people that purchased Triumphs and have put substantial miles on them. They are all happy. They are all twins or 900/1050 triples, though. I test rode a Tiger 1050, which had the high performance exhaust, at the dealer in Fullerton and was VERY impressed.

I have spoken with a number of people that purchased Triumphs and have put substantial miles on them. They are all happy. They are all twins or 900/1050 triples, though. I test rode a Tiger 1050, which had the high performance exhaust, at the dealer in Fullerton and was VERY impressed.

And the 675 in the Daytona and the Street Triple is an incredible engine. Lots of power and smoothness!

Normally I would agree with you about the minimum labor charge but remember this was my 4th visit for the same problem. They either warranty their work or they don't.

I missed that the battery had something to do with warranty.

Unforunately I found out today that Portland Motorcycles is not accepting ANY trade-ins for their bikes. They're strapped for cash. That was my last attempt at getting a Triuph Rocket III Touring.

...I'm tired of high maintenance cost, uncomfortable overpriced bikes ...

I only disagree with the uncomfortable remark.

Except the stock seats.... I am convinced that the stock seat on my R12RT is banned by the Geneva Convention.

I thought I would add my opinion, given what little we know what really happened, to this thread. I have no opinion. Sorry.

Good luck with your next motorcycle, Bob.

ProductUser

"It ain't about you and your bikes. Chill."

It wasn't wasn't about me and my bikes. It is about Bob and his bikes or what he's doing that is breaking them. I guess my point is that Bob is likely to have trouble no matter what brand he rides.

"Chill"

What is that supposed to mean? You tell someone to chill simply because they dare to question them? I think you need to chill Al. Not everything is BMW's fault.

I have a great suggestion, find an independent mechanic localy to do the repair work on the beemer you own and save the cash that comes with buying a new bike. Really the problems you seem to be having are with the dealer you've been using and the way that they do bussiness, and not the actual brand that you are riding. Seeing that you have racked up over a quarter million miles on BMW's they obviously are not "that" uncomfortable or "that" unreliable over all and the multitude of others that have racked up way bigger mileage than 90% of the other makes available would say so also. I understand that you are pissed about the streak of bad luck, horrible service and foul treatment, and I would be myself. I realy hope that your luck changes and you find happiness with whatever you end up doing for your next bike, and having the experiance that I have with multiple brands of cars and bikes over the last decade I hope that the trends in service and treatment at dealerships across the nation changes soon so you don't end up hating every brand on the planet and driving a Prius...

Why don't you sell your bike outright and then buy the Trip?

This whole thing is getting bizarre. I got a call from the small mom/pop Triumph shop, Cascade Motors tonight saying they're will to buy my bike for what I own on it and deal for the Rocket III Touring so the new bike is on again. I'll know next Tuesday after signing the loan papers. More to follow.

I read that post by one single owner. He actually has 4-5 posts about his woes with his bike. Sonds familiar. There's also a survey on that forum asking for reports of transmission failures. Less than 10% had any problems at all. I talked to the head mechanic about Rocket III ttransmission issues anh was told older models dating to 2005, 2005 Rockets anthat Triumph was covering all parts & repairs on these bikes regardless of the warranty expiring. Thanks for your concern.

Bob, maybe Portland Motorcycles would take your bike on consignment. They would have plenty of incentive to sell your bike so they could sell you a Triumph. You would hardly miss riding in the Pacific Northwet this time of year.

"It ain't about you and your bikes. Chill."

It wasn't wasn't about me and my bikes. It is about Bob and his bikes or what he's doing that is breaking them. I guess my point is that Bob is likely to have trouble no matter what brand he rides.

"Chill"

What is that supposed to mean? You tell someone to chill simply because they dare to question them? I think you need to chill Al. Not everything is BMW's fault.

Bob told you what he is doing. He is riding the bike and getting it serviced to schedule at his local BMW dealer. What else would you have him do?

Andy

Bob, maybe Portland Motorcycles would take your bike on consignment. They would have plenty of incentive to sell your bike so they could sell you a Triumph. You would hardly miss riding in the Pacific Northwet this time of year.

The situation has changed again. I got a call back from Cascade Motors in Beaverton where I live. They want to buy my bike out of their own budget. That's not easy for a small mom & pop store. I go this next Tuesday to sign the loan paperwork. I may finally get my Christmas wish.

You're confused. I gave my 1985 K100 to that Atlanta BMW shop to go over "everything" to refurbish the bike back to as new a condition as possible. I did not ride it with a blown headgasket. The gasket blew in the middle of a 200 mile ride home from Atlanta, GA to Aiken, SC. They shop replaced a defective fuel pump, replaced a missing left mirrow and color match the custom paint. A full tune-up and major service followed. Their fault was not checking the engine compression. They did not honor their maintenance warrenty after the attempt to ride the completed bike home destroyed the engine.

That sounds like a dealer issue, not a Beemer issue. Blowing a head gasket on a ride home from the shop that just did an overhaul is not a bike problem.

IMO, the dealer issue, or almost complete lack of competent BMW dealers (in my area at least) is the biggest problem with the marque. My '96 RT has been relatively trouble free, but when it's time for a new bike it will be a different brand solely based on a lack of dealer support.

You're confused. I gave my 1985 K100 to that Atlanta BMW shop to go over "everything" to refurbish the bike back to as new a condition as possible. I did not ride it with a blown headgasket. The gasket blew in the middle of a 200 mile ride home from Atlanta, GA to Aiken, SC. They shop replaced a defective fuel pump, replaced a missing left mirrow and color match the custom paint. A full tune-up and major service followed. Their fault was not checking the engine compression. They did not honor their maintenance warrenty after the attempt to ride the completed bike home destroyed the engine.

That sounds like a dealer issue, not a Beemer issue. Blowing a head gasket on a ride home from the shop that just did an overhaul is not a bike problem.

IMO, the dealer issue, or almost complete lack of competent BMW dealers (in my area at least) is the biggest problem with the marque. My '96 RT has been relatively trouble free, but when it's time for a new bike it will be a different brand solely based on a lack of dealer support.

Amen, Finally someone who understands my original post.

It seems that BMW quality control leaves a great deal to be desired; if you get a good one, it lasts forever, but if you get a bad one, it's going to leave a very bad taste...

Maybe. I know my own 2005 RT remains bulletproof after 46K miles of hard use, including several track days. I do most of my own service. This is my first BMW and I certainly have no regrets.

Jay

A friend sent this to me today.

"When a finger is pointed at at problem, most people will go to great lengths to analyze the finger."

I'm mostly amazed at the number of responses to the original post. I don't think anyone else who wrote that they were mad about their dealer's service has ever gotten this much attention. Is this because he's going to Triumph? Just think of it as a divorce where the wife has squeezed the toothpaste in the middle too many times and now he wants out so he can get another one. It may be better, or it may not. All he knows is that what he's got just isn't working for him. Heck, it may even be his fault, but you're not going to convience him of that. Just listen to him and wish him luck. He'll let us know in a couple of years if the new wife is meeting his requirements. Oops, I meant the new bike and dealer.

I'm mostly amazed at the number of responses to the original post. I don't think anyone else who wrote that they were mad about their dealer's service has ever gotten this much attention. Is this because he's going to Triumph? Just think of it as a divorce where the wife has squeezed the toothpaste in the middle too many times and now he wants out so he can get another one. It may be better, or it may not. All he knows is that what he's got just isn't working for him. Heck, it may even be his fault, but you're not going to convience him of that. Just listen to him and wish him luck. He'll let us know in a couple of years if the new wife is meeting his requirements. Oops, I meant the new bike and dealer.

It may only be a change for changes sake, but it seems to be "change he can believe in". :grin:

Hey Bob, what kind of mileage were you getting on the RT before it blew up?

Just curious

50 mpg on the open highway. That remains constant befor & after the rebuild.

Dave in Doodah

+1 Wish him luck - his mind is made up. Divorce can be a good thing - even when you leave a 'good' wife'... it's a personal thing.

What does it get around town and on twisty roads? My R1150RT seems to get low 40s whenever I check it, but I almost never ride on interstates.

I've made a point of staying out of this thread. There just seemed to be something missing early on.

See... I can relate the bad dealer part. It makes sense to me. However, I think a lot of the contention in this thread has been brought on by Bob's original post. I just think it could have been worded a bit more clearly. It's not horrible by any means, but I just think that if Bob could have said something like "I've been riding BMW's for 23 years and I don't feel that I can trust the service at the BMW dealer(s) that are near me. I've given them several attempts to repair my bike, and they haven't lived up to my expectations. So, I'm going to try something else."

I know if I'd read that (which seems to be what he's going through) I'd have been the first in line to wish him the best of luck with the new bike.

I think the divorce analogy is fair - from what I understand of the situation. It's entirely a personal thing. It's like the death of a loved one: You can't understand it until you go through it (and even then it's probably a bit different for everyone individually), so you don't even try to say "I understand" or "I know exactly what you're going through." It's personal.

So, I'll just say that I certainly can't blame Bob for wanting a change - even if he didn't feel slighted by the dealers. Sometimes change is good. Riding BMW's isn't a religion, so it's not like Bob's losing his faith or whatever. He's just wanting a change (that has been helped along by his experiences with his dealer(s).) Nothing wrong with that.

As long as you keep posting pictures here, otherwise, you're out. :P

I've been keeping a quiet eye on this thread as well. I'm a Triumph defector as I owned 2 of the new Triumphs before buying my current R1200ST. So at least there is some balance in the universe from Bob's defection to Triumph. ;) I wish Bob well. I currently love my BMW and wouldn't part with it for any bike out on the market. With that said, I need good service out of my bike to stay that fond of it. So far, so good at a break-in milage of 15,000 miles. One word of caution to Bob. I've ridden 3 Rocket 3's on test rides and my overwhelming impression was a very heavy bike. Sure it's a two wheeled muscle car but, Triumph doesn't electronically limit it's top speed to 130 for no good reason. The bike can be a real hand full to control. The relative light weight of the BMW twin is a big contrast. Bob keep in touch. :wave:

What does it get around town and on twisty roads? My R1150RT seems to get low 40s whenever I check it, but I almost never ride on interstates.

40-43 mpg in the city

I've been keeping a quiet eye on this thread as well. I'm a Triumph defector as I owned 2 of the new Triumphs before buying my current R1200ST. So at least there is some balance in the universe from Bob's defection to Triumph. ;) I wish Bob well. I currently love my BMW and wouldn't part with it for any bike out on the market. With that said, I need good service out of my bike to stay that fond of it. So far, so good at a break-in milage of 15,000 miles. One word of caution to Bob. I've ridden 3 Rocket 3's on test rides and my overwhelming impression was a very heavy bike. Sure it's a two wheeled muscle car but, Triumph doesn't electronically limit it's top speed to 130 for no good reason. The bike can be a real hand full to control. The relative light weight of the BMW twin is a big contrast. Bob keep in touch. :wave:

The BMW I owned before my R1200RT was a K1200LTC (2001-2005). It was 845 pounds and very top heavy & hard to control at slow speeds. I rode it for 4 years and 68,000 miles. Great bike!. It's because I've owned & ridden that big bike I feel I can handle the Rocket III with it's lower seat height & lower center of gravity. Thanks for your constructive input. :)

Bob, I posted this question earlier, but I was wondering if you've given the Honda ST1300, the Yamaha FJR1300, or the new Kawasaki Concours a thought? If I didn't have my RT, I'd be riding one of these.

Bob, I posted this question earlier, but I was wondering if you've given the Honda ST1300, the Yamaha FJR1300, or the new Kawasaki Concours a thought? If I didn't have my RT, I'd be riding one of these.

All these are fine machines but I wanted something really unique. The Triumph Rocket III Touring will get attention instantly. It's not as technically as sophisticated as the Japanese bikes but I was also seeking a great dealer and I've found one at Cascade Motors. The loan approval went through today so we're just waiting for the accessories I ordered to arrive & be installed. Now if I can only talk them out of a hat. LOL

All these are fine machines but I wanted something really unique. The Triumph Rocket III Touring will get attention instantly. It's not as technically as sophisticated as the Japanese bikes but I was also seeking a great dealer and I've found one at Cascade Motors. The loan approval went through today so we're just waiting for the accessories I ordered to arrive & be installed. Now if I can only talk them out of a hat. LOL

Ahh...now the truth comes out :dopeslap: Just kidding -- Enjoy the new ride :thumbsup:

P-to-the-U

Hey, best of luck. The R III was on my short list of bikes when I also left BMW (for other reasons -- my knees). I discovered a couple of things when I went from an RT to a Harley Road Glide (that's about as far apart "apparently" as one may get). First, I discovered that the folk here are sincere when they say, "It doesn't matter what kind of scoot you ride -- stay!" They mean it. Which is weird, sort of. We're a group that was originally founded around a marque, then "sport touring," but / and as people started to really get to know one another, share broad interests, become family -- this group is now WAY more than the sum of its parts in some weird way. Anyway, second thing I discovered and posted about is that "bikes is bikes" and you may find as I did that bikes are more alike than they are different (I can hear howling from some quarters!), and that "touring is touring" for the most part.

I just thought of a third thing! YOU CAN USE THE R III TO PULL STUMPS OUT OF YOUR YARD WHEN YOU'RE NOT OUT TOURING!

Keep us "posted" and lots of new photos, comparisons of the "experience" on the III contrasted with the RT... all appreciated.

The only thing that bugs me about the Rocket III is the name. The real Rocket 3 was a good handling superbike for it's time, not an overweight power cruiser.

799px-BSA_Rocket_3_1971.jpg

Something like this with a 3-cylinder engine would fit the name better.

961_06.jpg

FLIronButtRider

It's amazing what a difference a dealer can make. When I was living in Austin, I absolutely loved my local dealer and bought 3 BMW's from them. If something broke, they took of it quickly and efficiently. Never had any problems with them.

Then I moved to Orlando and the experiences with the Orlando dealer were so bad that I have written off BMW's until I move again. There is no way I would own a BMW as long as I live here.

Good luck with the Triumph. I might be going down that road in a year or so....can't get the Scrambler out of my head.

[hijack}

Michael,

Hey, long time, good to hear from you again. :wave:

Too bad you don't live a bit farther north. :Cool:

Come over and see us at Cedar Key in January. :thumbsup:

[byejack]

It's amazing what a difference a dealer can make. When I was living in Austin, I absolutely loved my local dealer and bought 3 BMW's from them. If something broke, they took of it quickly and efficiently. Never had any problems with them.

Then I moved to Orlando and the experiences with the Orlando dealer were so bad that I have written off BMW's until I move again. There is no way I would own a BMW as long as I live here.

Good luck with the Triumph. I might be going down that road in a year or so....can't get the Scrambler out of my head.

Yes, and the same horse's behind owns the Daytona BMW dealer and wants to put one in Jacksonville if Dusty get out of the business in Tallahassee. Then he would be running off owners and turning off buyers in half the state of Florida.

Sounds to me like you are the problem You state that these bikes were well maintained and yet you manage to blow 2 engines. I find that pretty inconceivable.

Good luck in your quest for an alternative but I bet you will blow those engines also!!!

Is there one or two of these guys on every site, or perhaps it's only one person who joins multiple sites just to get under everyone's hide?

Wow, it's as tho he attacked GOD! All four of you need to go back and read what he said. Who knows, he might have a point. Do you know how the OP treats his bikes? Didn't think so. Why so quick to attack a fairly mild statement?

Someone else asked the same question earlier and the OP cursed at him and called him names. Where was your outrage then?

It is probably pretty hard to blow these engine unless running them without oil I guess. But since one of the OP's incidents was on the way home from the dealer after a rebuild that is not that likely. The dealer probably should have stood behind that work. But, I can't really remember that far back, this was a long thread.

I agree with the fact this was more a dealer problem than a bike brand problem. Personally my beemer is the nicest bike I ever rode and they seem very reliable. Like most german made stuff.

Archived