IGNORED

23 Years & I'm Leaving The BMW Marque

Chunky

I bought my first BMW in 1985, a K100, I moved to a 1999 R1200C after the K100 blew it's engine. It was WELL maintained. I then bought a 2001 K1200LTC and put 68k on it in 4 years. My latest BMW is a 2005 R1200RT with 53,700 miles and I had an engine blow on it at 45k. I'm tired of high maintenance cost, uncomfortable overpriced bikes & dealers set on gouging customer with no warranty on their mechanical work. I've had my R1200RT in 4 times for a starting problem and now they say it's a bad battery. They want $180 plus labor to replace it. I'm switching brands & dumping BMW. No lectures wanted on doing my own work. I'm tired of that line. Signed - Madd as Hell & Not Taking It Anymore

Hope your next motorcycle serves you better. I'd bail too if I had no choice but to pay full price for maintenance on a problematic bike.

Bob,

Good luck.

There is a warranty on most major mechanical work/parts that are replaced, such as engine/final drives.

Also, the 3 year 36,000 mile warranty is substantial.

I hope your new bike is trouble free.

Best wishes.

Bob,

Good luck.

There is a warranty on most major mechanical work/parts that are replaced, such as engine/final drives.

Also, the 3 year 36,000 mile warranty is substantial.

I hope your new bike is trouble free.

Best wishes.

I rode 40,000 miles in my first two years so the 36 month warranty wasn't even adequate. The Rocket III only has a 2 year warranty but service intervals are 10,000 miles, less costly & hopefully better accomplished. :)

How many miles did the K100 have when it "blew"? What exactly blew on the two engines?

I had the K100 in for a complete overhaul after 86,000 miles & 15 years of service. I spent over $3,000 for this thorough check up. The headgasket blew & destroyed the engine on the ride home after that service. The dealership would not warranty his work. :(

The R1200RT had 45k on it when the pistons & rings burnt. They replaced the whole top end. $2,500. They blamed a top quality oil filter because it wasn't a BMW filter. :(

You are staying here on the board, right?

I enjoy your snaps and stories. I don't care what kind of scooter you ride!

Enjoy what ever you get and post all about it here.

Good luck, I am sure you've heard of Lucas from England......

A very different kind of bike and I have not met one with substantial miles on it yet so it may be a new breed with a long lifespan.

I am sure we all share the scare of substantial repairs out of warranty but I don't ride that much so the 3 years is getting there before the miles.

Good choice...Triumphs never have problems and those dealers charge next to nothing for service. Plus, people will think you're riding a Boss Hoss!

I had the K100 in for a complete overhaul after 86,000 miles & 15 years of service. I spent over $3,000 for this thorough check up. The headgasket blew & destroyed the engine on the ride home after that service. The dealership would not warranty his work. :(

Wow, that is terrible service. What dealer was it?

Wow, that is terrible service. What dealer was it?

It was Global Imports in Atlanta, GA. They closed their doors & moved north of atlanta to become BMW Motorcycles of Atlanta. That was in 2001.

I was at a motorcycle show Saturday in Houston with a BMW dealer who sells Triumph. There was a nice young man there with his wife to pick up his Rocket iii that had been in maintenance for 5 months, 3 months, and then when he sent his wife home, he had to call her to come get him because the bike broke down right in the lot.....I spent about an hour shooting the breeze with him and asking him what went wrong...As I remember...

3000 miles 2nd gear went out, new parts ordered, warranty validated, returned bike to owner after 3 months. 5000 miles, 2nd gear exploded, went through engine case, destroyed lots of stuff. 5 months later (Saturday) came to pick it up. Bike was sparkling good looking. Started the engine and let warm up while he was donning gear....radiator basically exploded. Called wife to pick him up. Dealer apologetic, wasn't sure how long for a radiator.

I met a couple of other iii drivers while I was there and they all claimed heavy problems with transmissions. One more guy said he went through a similar issue with the 2006 version and insisted the dealer buy it back...

Who knows, it may be the best bike made. They told me there was a user forum that was chalked full of problems and recalls especially around transmissions. I asked them what they were going to buy back. The guy with the most recent problems said he just wanted them to give him a new one, and the second guy already bartered for a new iii as part of his agreement from the dealer to buy it back.

So...probably not too different than BMW's. Did I ever mention the hole that burned in the piston on my Goldwing at 1000 miles? They all have their quirks. Sounds like you have had some really bad BMW bikes and worse service. So far my BMW's have been bulletproof. Guess I got the ones made on Tuesday.

I was at a motorcycle show Saturday in Houston with a BMW dealer who sells Triumph. There was a nice young man there with his wife to pick up his Rocket iii that had been in maintenance for 5 months, 3 months, and then when he sent his wife home, he had to call her to come get him because the bike broke down right in the lot.....I spent about an hour shooting the breeze with him and asking him what went wrong...As I remember...

3000 miles 2nd gear went out, new parts ordered, warranty validated, returned bike to owner after 3 months. 5000 miles, 2nd gear exploded, went through engine case, destroyed lots of stuff. 5 months later (Saturday) came to pick it up. Bike was sparkling good looking. Started the engine and let warm up while he was donning gear....radiator basically exploded. Called wife to pick him up. Dealer apologetic, wasn't sure how long for a radiator.

I met a couple of other iii drivers while I was there and they all claimed heavy problems with transmissions. One more guy said he went through a similar issue with the 2006 version and insisted the dealer buy it back...

Who knows, it may be the best bike made. They told me there was a user forum that was chalked full of problems and recalls especially around transmissions. I asked them what they were going to buy back. The guy with the most recent problems said he just wanted them to give him a new one, and the second guy already bartered for a new iii as part of his agreement from the dealer to buy it back.

So...probably not too different than BMW's. Did I ever mention the hole that burned in the piston on my Goldwing at 1000 miles? They all have their quirks. Sounds like you have had some really bad BMW bikes and worse service. So far my BMW's have been bulletproof. Guess I got the ones made on Tuesday.

Thanks for your response. It genuinely made me chuckle & that's what I guess I need right now. Cascade Motors in Beaverton where I live own the Triumph/Moto Guzzi shop where I'm getting my Rocket III. They have a sparkling reputation with the local bikers. I'm sure you can hear horror stories about and brand & make of mptotcycle. I had ridden 220,000 miles on BMW motorcycle & bought my first BMW, a 1985 K100, at BMW Mottorad in St. Louis, MO. I never had the least bit of a problem while under their service. I just hate my recent experience with a $2500 engine rebuild followed a week later & 600 miles by $315 for basically an oil change on the new engine service. I guess It's just time to take my chances with something else. For those who would now call me a whiner I give YOU, the finger.

If you like long service intervals and paying someone else to do it, there probably are better choices than the a BMW. Personally, I enjoy servicing my oilhead. When I try to think of bikes that are cheap per mile, Triumphs don't come to mind.

Well Bob,

Be sure to post some pics of your new bike. And, ummm, the other stuff you take pictures of. I hope your new bike is trouble-free.

Car and bike costs can be frustrating. I can honestly say that BMW is costly in all areas of ownership. This has been a sore spot with me for a long time...I threaten to buy another brand and have. But what brings me back are the things that all of us here understand.

I NEARLY bought a new C-14 before my GSA. (and probably should have) but the connie was not for me at the moment. So another BMW in the barn...I do think that is 7 now in 8 years. If $ was an issue then it would be a definite to on BMW.

For now it is not so I will maintain my loyalty. But you are right in questioning the high costs of service. My Honda dealer wanted 500.00 to so a 30K service on my 07 Ridgeline. I got it done at a reputable dealer here in Tempe for 185.00. So yes, it can be frustrating to own.

But then again, a small battery for my JVC Everio Camcorder was $ 119.00 plus shipping to today, it is about the size of a bic lighter. That was the least expensive one I could find on the net. The local store was about $50.00 more...Made in China for ???? Bottom line it is profit. You want it you pay. Pretty simple.

There are many bikes you can buy...take heed in their hidden costs of ownership, acceptance of cost is one battle for toys that we all must decide what one (s) are worth it or not. Do stick around though. We want to harass you over whatever you buy! :)

I owned a Rocket III - a 2004. I owned it for a year and 12K miles, and during that time experienced only a small problem with the stepper motor. It was resolved under warranty. I really liked the Rocket, and miss it - especially the neck-snapping torque. I traded the Rocket for a 2005 RT because I came to the conclusion that the Rocket didn't offer the unmatched tourability of a BMW, and so the Beemer was a better match for my type of riding.

r3.jpg

Bob, Bob, is this the same Bob I once conversed with when he moved out to western Oregon from somewhere in the southeast a few years back? And this finger giving business....Honestly Bob, I think you have become Oregonized. It wouldn't be BMWWO in Tigard that has done your work would it? Oh, what kind of oil filter was it that supposedly caused yor problem.

Car and bike costs can be frustrating. I can honestly say that BMW is costly in all areas of ownership. This has been a sore spot with me for a long time...I threaten to buy another brand and have. But what brings me back are the things that all of us here understand.

I NEARLY bought a new C-14 before my GSA. (and probably should have) but the connie was not for me at the moment. So another BMW in the barn...I do think that is 7 now in 8 years. If $ was an issue then it would be a definite to on BMW.

For now it is not so I will maintain my loyalty. But you are right in questioning the high costs of service. My Honda dealer wanted 500.00 to so a 30K service on my 07 Ridgeline. I got it done at a reputable dealer here in Tempe for 185.00. So yes, it can be frustrating to own.

But then again, a small battery for my JVC Everio Camcorder was $ 119.00 plus shipping to today, it is about the size of a bic lighter. That was the least expensive one I could find on the net. The local store was about $50.00 more...Made in China for ???? Bottom line it is profit. You want it you pay. Pretty simple.

There are many bikes you can buy...take heed in their hidden costs of ownership, acceptance of cost is one battle for toys that we all must decide what one (s) are worth it or not. Do stick around though. We want to harass you over whatever you buy! :)

I love your honesty & sense of houmor. I guess that's wgy I have stuck with this forum regardless of the bike I own. You realize I love the actual BMW motorcycles as I've managed to ride them over 220,000 funfilled miles. I don't bother with the BMWMOA high mileage thing as my reward is the bug filled smile on my face. I'm mostly digusted over warranty issues and snobbish attitudes at dealership, when you can even find one. In South carolina there one only Touring Sport BMW. They were 210 miles from where I live. Not much fun when you need something like tires or a small item in Winter.

Bob, Bob, is this the same Bob I once conversed with when he moved out to western Oregon from somewhere in the southeast a few years back? And this finger giving business....Honestly Bob, I think you have become Oregonized. It wouldn't be BMWWO in Tigard that has done your work would it? Oh, what kind of oil filter was it that supposedly caused yor problem.

It was that dealership.

i lIKE iT... the BIG Bad Trumpy... Pretty Chunky scoot, there Chunky.!

Too bad about the mills in the Beemers.

You'll love that Triumph and "YES" they do have better service intervals. There are a plenty of Triumphs here in the Des Moines area and I've not heard of one rider having anything going wrong - 'cept service stuff.

So...I certainly hope you post the good stuff on the next romp with the new ride.

Put that smile back on now and post a ton for us to live it with you.

Best :

i lIKE iT... the BIG Bad Trumpy... Pretty Chunky scoot, there Chunky.!

Too bad about the mills in the Beemers.

You'll love that Triumph and "YES" they do have better service intervals. There are a plenty of Triumphs here in the Des Moines area and I've not heard of one rider having anything going wrong - 'cept service stuff.

So...I certainly hope you post the good stuff on the next romp with the new ride.

Put that smile back on now and post a ton for us to live it with you.

Best :

Cascade Motors in Beaverton is a mom/pop store that has an extremely loyal & pleased following. I've ridden with a few of them & work with a guy riding a Speed Triple. The LT I had before my present R1200RT was the same size bike as the Rocket III including the weight. One difference is the seat height. The big cruiser sits about 3 inches lower with the engine weight slung really low. That should make handling easier. Crossing fingers.

I'm tired of high maintenance cost, uncomfortable overpriced bikes & dealers set on gouging customer with no warranty on their mechanical work.

How about a honda; an st1300 to be precise.

Wooster

Bob,

Even if you ride something different, you are welcome here. I look forward to your great ride reports and wonderful pictures.

Ride what makes you happy, but keep us happy by sticking around.

A request from one Midwesterner to another. :wave:

Bob,

Even if you ride something different, you are welcome here. I look forward to your great ride reports and wonderful pictures.

Ride what makes you happy, but keep us happy by sticking around.

A request from one Midwesterner to another. :wave:

Thanks Bud, I plan on doing just that. :)

I am a tad bit skeptical about your experiences with BMWs Bob. Now I'm not questioning your honesty but I am questioning how you are doing things in regards to your bikes.

You site two different BMWs bikes that have had engine failures. Now I've owned seven BMWs. Two airheads, one K (original brick), three oilheads and one hex. I've had two major failures in the engine department and one of those was my fault. I lost a real main seal on my old '77 R100/7 at speed and it was lost because I did not do the replacement properly. The other major motor failue I had was on my '94 R1100RS and that was when the exhaust rocker seized causing the valves to stick open after which the piston banged into the exhaust valves. I managed to ride both bikes after the failures and pulled them apart and reassembled them myself. The /7 went on to have over 250k and the R1100 went on to 159k. In the case of all the BMWs I have owned I have run them very hard with no other trouble. Really the bike with the most bullet proof motor of all was the '85 KRS. I ran the living crap out of that bike and it never leaked or used a drop of oil. I sold it with about 58k on it. The prevous owned had defeated the rev-limiter on it and had boosted the fuel pump pressure. I actually ran that bike to over 10k rpm on the autobahn in Germany racing an M5. It didn't blow up. I have seen K100s with well over 400k miles on the clock that have never been apart. Why on earth would you rebuild one with only 86k on the clock? And why did you continue to run the K after the head gasket went? And this destroyed the motor on the ride home???

About your R1200RT. What failed on it? Mine is now over 70k and doing great. I've run it quite hard at times... it will redline in top gear. Of all the BMWs I've owned this one has been the most trouble free. Now I know folks have had trouble but rarely are they so catastophic. Either you're hard luck or you are doing something fundementally wrong to have so much go wrong on different bikes. I just find it hard to pin all the blame on BMW based on what you have posted here. I'm not the biggest fan of BMW dealers but something seems to be missing in your rant here.

Anyway, best of luck in your brand change.

I am a tad bit skeptical about your experiences with BMWs Bob. Now I'm not questioning your honesty but I am questioning how you are doing things in regards to your bikes.

You site two different BMWs bikes that have had engine failures. Now I've owned seven BMWs. Two airheads, one K (original brick), three oilheads and one hex. I've had two major failures in the engine department and one of those was my fault. I lost a real main seal on my old '77 R100/7 at speed and it was lost because I did not do the replacement properly. The other major motor failue I had was on my '94 R1100RS and that was when the exhaust rocker seized causing the valves to stick open after which the piston banged into the exhaust valves. I managed to ride both bikes after the failures and pulled them apart and reassembled them myself. The /7 went on to have over 250k and the R1100 went on to 159k. In the case of all the BMWs I have owned I have run them very hard with no other trouble. Really the bike with the most bullet proof motor of all was the '85 KRS. I ran the living crap out of that bike and it never leaked or used a drop of oil. I sold it with about 58k on it. The prevous owned had defeated the rev-limiter on it and had boosted the fuel pump pressure. I actually ran that bike to over 10k rpm on the autobahn in Germany racing an M5. It didn't blow up. I have seen K100s with well over 400k miles on the clock that have never been apart. Why on earth would you rebuild one with only 86k on the clock? And why did you continue to run the K after the head gasket went? And this destroyed the motor on the ride home???

About your R1200RT. What failed on it? Mine is now over 70k and doing great. I've run it quite hard at times... it will redline in top gear. Of all the BMWs I've owned this one has been the most trouble free. Now I know folks have had trouble but rarely are they so catastophic. Either you're hard luck or you are doing something fundementally wrong to have so much go wrong on different bikes. I just find it hard to pin all the blame on BMW based on what you have posted here. I'm not the biggest fan of BMW dealers but something seems to be missing in your rant here.

Anyway, best of luck in your brand change.

You're confused. I gave my 1985 K100 to that Atlanta BMW shop to go over "everything" to refurbish the bike back to as new a condition as possible. I did not ride it with a blown headgasket. The gasket blew in the middle of a 200 mile ride home from Atlanta, GA to Aiken, SC. They shop replaced a defective fuel pump, replaced a missing left mirrow and color match the custom paint. A full tune-up and major service followed. Their fault was not checking the engine compression. They did not honor their maintenance warrenty after the attempt to ride the completed bike home destroyed the engine.

Why are you nitpicking everything I wrote. You do your own work, good on you, continue to pat yourself on the back. I rely on a highly trained dealership staff with a guarantee of good service to work on my bikes. Your suggestion that I had anything to do with causing engine failure is so much shit. I don't need to waste energy defending myself to you or anyone else jerk.

I understand how you feel. I had an early R1200C that had everything go wrong that was "common" to go wrong and some that were not so common. Anyway, lots and lots of warranty time in the shop. What a freakin' lemon! I've been gun-shy on BMW's since. It didn't help that my primary riding buddy's last-generation K-RS was in the shop too often too.

I'm hoping my '08 RT result is better than yours and, at least by reading the archives here, it does seem like one of their more trouble-free models. But they DO get a premium and we have high expectations. I like my dealer fine and they are good about warranty work but I still value my time. Both my prior Yamaha FJR and my other buddy's Honda ST1300 required ZERO warranty work (while both models do have owners that reported trouble).

Why are you nitpicking everything I wrote. You do your own work, good on you, continue to pat yourself on the back. I rely on a highly trained dealership staff with a guarantee of good service to work on my bikes. Your suggestion that I had anything to do with causing engine failure is so much shit. I don't need to waste energy defending myself to you or anyone else jerk.

Wow. Such a wonderful answer. Probably belongs in the same place as your finger.

I guess I've been extremely lucky in all my years of owning BMW's.

I started on a 1985 K100 then a 1987 K100RS before I went into the boxers, R100S,R1150R and now an R1150RT with 50,000 miles on it. I have not had any problems with any of my bikes,but give a lot of credit to my mechanic. He was a BMW mechanic when the dealership he worked for wanted them to give up the Harley brand they also sold. The dealership said to hell with it as they sold 10 Harley's to every BMW and dropped the BMW brand. My mechanic bought up all the BMW tools, etc and went into business himself. He performs all my maintenance at about 1/2 the price of a dealership. I must admit if it wasn't for him I would consider giving up the marque myself rather than go to a dealer.

I really feel for you to have so much trouble and don't think I would have been so loyal for so many years. Good luck with your next bike.

For what it's worth, my two top choices for my riding style are the Yamaha FJR1300 or the Honda ST1300

Beware, Bob. The Triumph is known to have its own set of problems. Many a fuel tank was creme-sealed before people realized that 20-ish MPG is normal.

Slender, attractive women are frightened of the behemoth, while winter-storing Rumani-Slavic women with lip moles with two-inch hairs cuddle up and scratch their backs against its handlebars. (flame away PC-correctionists, it's a joke).

Rear tires go up in smoke at its mere mention. Brake pads self-glaze at just the thought of having to stop one. And that plexiglass barn door creates such a bow wake that you'll be blowing out some teary 6-year-old's birthday candles in Texarkana.

If you want the ultimate word on the subject, note this. Whip has owned every motorcycle in the world at one time or another during the past three years. Except that one. And unlike Congress, he's smart with his money (OK, so it's not Congress's money, it's ours. . .come to think of it, Whip's money used to be ours, too. . . but you get the picture).

Seriously, enjoy whatever you ride. If the Big Trumpet floats yer boat, go for it. I hope it's everything you're looking for. It's only important that you ride and that those rides make you smile. What you're on is secondary.

Wow Bob, The guy is just trying to find out what happened. No need to call names. Thanx for confirming it was BMWofWO. I am still wondering what brand of oil filter you were using? Don't want to start a war or another oil filter thread just need info as I use Purolator filters in my '04RT. Some filters are thought to be more restrictive to oil flow and could possibly result in failure.

I hope your new Trumpet suits you. For those that depend on the dealer for maintenance, european bikes are not the best choice, IMHO.

For myself, I feel confident doing my own maintenance, and I would buy another beemer.......But I would not buy one that was new or still in warranty. My experience with both dealer and especially BMWNA arrogance when dealing with warranty work left a very bad taste in my mouth. In the future, I will buy either used, out of warranty BMWs or any japanese brand. JMHO.

I'm with you... I wouldn't buy a new BMW either. Every BMW that I have ever purchased has been used. Still had warranty left on it, but I didn't pay the big bucks for a new one. Always got a hefty discount. Then purchased an extended warranty through a third party company that seems to have worked out for me.

4wd

I only buy used BMW's or any bike for that matter and the 3 BMW's I have owned have had warranty left on them. Each had anywhere from 2 years to 2 1/2 years worth of warranty. Each one of those 3 bikes had warranty work done on them and I was the second or third owner and I never had any issues with warranty work being done by the dealer and billed to BMWNA.

Beware, Bob. The Triumph is known to have its own set of problems. Many a fuel tank was creme-sealed before people realized that 20-ish MPG is normal.

Slender, attractive women are frightened of the behemoth, while winter-storing Rumani-Slavic women with lip moles with two-inch hairs cuddle up and scratch their backs against its handlebars. (flame away PC-correctionists, it's a joke).

Rear tires go up in smoke at its mere mention. Brake pads self-glaze at just the thought of having to stop one. And that plexiglass barn door creates such a bow wake that you'll be blowing out some teary 6-year-old's birthday candles in Texarkana.

If you want the ultimate word on the subject, note this. Whip has owned every motorcycle in the world at one time or another during the past three years. Except that one. And unlike Congress, he's smart with his money (OK, so it's not Congress's money, it's ours. . .come to think of it, Whip's money used to be ours, too. . . but you get the picture).

Seriously, enjoy whatever you ride. If the Big Trumpet floats yer boat, go for it. I hope it's everything you're looking for. It's only important that you ride and that those rides make you smile. What you're on is secondary.

So, what's the downside? :):dopeslap:

Wow Bob, The guy is just trying to find out what happened. No need to call names. Thanx for confirming it was BMWofWO. I am still wondering what brand of oil filter you were using? Don't want to start a war or another oil filter thread just need info as I use Purolator filters in my '04RT. Some filters are thought to be more restrictive to oil flow and could possibly result in failure.

I don't remember the brand name of the filter. D&S Cycles in Beaverton did my tune-ups then. They also do all the work on the local police force Rt1200RTPs. I don't claim to know all things mechanical but I don't agree with the BMW dealership's assessment of what cause the engine failure. The filter was all they could come up with. Remember, it took 4 trips to them to diagnose a bad gel battery.

Fightingpiper
But I would not buy one that was new or still in warranty. My experience with both dealer and especially BMWNA arrogance when dealing with warranty work left a very bad taste in my mouth.

So far the dealer and BMWNA has been more than generous with me. See I had a cheapo torque wrench that stopped clicking and stripped the threads on the transmission drain plug. Dealer inserted a helicoil but it still leaked. Dealer found a small crack in casing. Dealer wrote BMWNA on my behalf and they picked up the cost of the part but not the labor cost. Saved me over $800.

Wonder what they are going to do when I bring it in for the ESA......(I know I didn't break that)... :):dopeslap:

So, what's the downside? :):dopeslap:

You'll probably never achieve fame as a name on the FD Failure List on the internet. You know, Bob, not everyone gets an opportunity like that. :grin:

I'm with you... I wouldn't buy a new BMW either. Every BMW that I have ever purchased has been used. Still had warranty left on it, but I didn't pay the big bucks for a new one. Always got a hefty discount. Then purchased an extended warranty through a third party company that seems to have worked out for me.

I joined the brotherhood last February, and based on what I have learned in the past 9 months, I feel lucky to have started with a used boxer with good pedigree. It seems that BMW quality control leaves a great deal to be desired; if you get a good one, it lasts forever, but if you get a bad one, it's going to leave a very bad taste.

Stick around, and don't worry about what you ride, or even if you ride. Just be sure you get out and explore like you do, and have some fun. Look forward to continuing to hear from you.

Jan

Archived