IGNORED

Official BMWST Death Valley Daze/MLK--Jan 16-19th!

KMG_365

Let this thread serve as the official planning thread for our Seventh Annual BMWST.com Death Valley Daze (DVD/MLK) in Beatty, Nevada on January 16-19th, 2009! :Cool:

History: after the Village Idiots and the Internet BMW Riders finally moved their long-standing Death Valley Daze ride off of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Weekend due to logistics, gouging and over-crowding at Furnace Creek, a few of us from here decided to keep the "traditional" day alive and just move the festivities' HQ just 40 miles over the park boundary to the east in Beatty, NV. It's a perfect post-holiday way to ring in the new year's riding and test out the new heated gear you got for Christmas! :grin:

This is a typical BMWST.com "UnEvent" so only the bare skeleton is provided and you are free to put whatever flesh and bones on the weekend you'd like. The gathering Motel will be the Exchange Club in Beatty, NV located at: 119 W. Main. There are 44 rooms (12 smoking) and I'm waiting for the manager to get back on Tuesday and I'll look into what kind of group rates I can swing for us.

If there's enough interest, we'll consider arranging for a group meal for Saturday night (either at the Sourdough Saloon right across the street as we did last year or with the new sandwich shop proprietor next door who's looking for our business).

Feel free to post your interest, questions and excited chatter here and then stand by to hear about any group rates as soon as I can find out. I just talked to Tonya tonight and so far they do not have any reservations for that weekend yet so we should be fine for rooms and maybe even taking over the place! :grin:

I have chains ordered for my bike.. :grin:

MB>

Did ya order a snowblower for the front?

November wasn't cold enough for ya.

Well, it wasn't cold enough for the Missus....... :)

I have chains ordered for my bike.. :grin:

MB>

November wasn't cold enough for ya.

Well, it wasn't cold enough for the Missus....... :)

You guys are starting to sound like Principal Skinner!! :grin:

I'm bringing my skates this trip for the black ice. I'll also be available for demonstrations on how to shift using your heal.

First room booked at the EC!

Lori and Tony will be there!

We will be arriving Saturday as Lori has a awesome new job!!!! So we can't leave friday... but she has Monday off, so we are staying till Monday.

Totally in for a Saturday group meal. Last years was the best!!! Do that again and you'll have a proven winner.

Unknown schedule for January with the Missus having shoulder surgery, but as of now, IN.... for The Missus and I.....

(subject to Phil syndrome....) :eek:

(subject to Phil syndrome....) :eek:

I'm watching you Mister!!!!!!!!!

Jamie and I are tentative due to her getting a new FULL time job and the unknown fall out of the meeting our fire dept. had with the City Manager of our city.

Finger's crossed but not holding breath just yet.

I'm watching you Mister!!!!!!!!!

Jamie and I are tentative .....

Finger's crossed but not holding breath just yet.

And you will be riding what????

On the back of 2's new bike? pokenest.gif

No...not the '07 G650X Challenge ???? You da MAN.!!!! bowdown-1.gif

I'm in.....Do we have a group rate at the Exchange Club?

From the OPs original post:

There are 44 rooms (12 smoking) and I'm waiting for the manager to get back on Tuesday and I'll look into what kind of group rates I can swing for us.

Thanks I saw that, was just wondering if Jamie had heard yet....it being Tuesday and all.

YEAH Jamie! Get to work or you get...

whipping_post_550.jpg

You don't get paid (for) nothing!

I went ahead and booked a room for Jan 16,17 & 18 at the exchange Club. When I asked for those dates she said, "Oh you're one of THOSE guys!". What have YOU guys done there in the past? :=)

I went to Death Valley a number of years at either the Ranch or the camp ground and then Pahrump a couple of years ago and we were always pretty well behaved. She quoted me $48 per night. I gave her my last name "Turk" and she said "you just canceled" and I said, "No, that is another Turk". Then I had to explain that!

Tony, I'm glad you are whipping Jamie into shape! He really doesn't have much going on except saving a life here and there!

Yeah . . . .

I'm on day two of a 72-hour shift and there's a reason I'm posting this at 0:17. :P

Sorry I didn't get a chance to call Pat between 07:00 and 15:00 hours today. Call Greg Haverkamp Esq. and have him sue me--he needs the practice. :grin:

I'm not the best one to haggle--especially down from an already affordable $48.00 a night (my wingman, Phil used to handle all this for me), but for those of you who waited you can call 775-553-2333 and get $45.00/night for a single or $50.00/night for a double.

Les and I are "IN!" for Friday-Monday. I'll try to arrange a meal for Saturday night and I guess start a new thread for that to try to keep this one clean. However, I'm not going to be out of the woods until our five newbies hit the floor full-time end of January and we'll still be three short until spring, so . . . . If anyone would like to step and volunteer to head that task up and take a big load off of my plate (and assure that it happens) I would be MUCH obliged.

Maybe tgregg could step up and volunteer so we could hound him every day from now until January 16?! :grin:

Maybe tgregg could step up and volunteer so we could hound him every day from now until January 16?! :grin:

I'd be glad to try to help. What do you need help with, getting the group rate or the meal? I can certainly make that phone call regarding a group rate but I'm with you on the current rates seeming very reasonable. That is why I didn't wait and I made my reservation. If you need help with pulling together a meal, I don't have a clue but am very willing to learn and try. Maybe somebody experienced and I could work on it together? I'm a REALTOR, I get hounded for a living :=)

Hang in there Jamie, you and Les do a wonderful job here. I'm sure there are lots of us who can step up to the plate and help.

IN!

Room reserved,frendly voice on the other end of the phone, "you're with THAT BUNCH are'nt you". Probably something to do with the portable bar set up on the back of an RTP in the parking lot on Friday night :/

Hey Gregg, thanks for stepping up :thumbsup:

The deal with the Sourdough Saloon last year was just about perfect, and I believe they would be happy to have us back!

(hopefully they have forgotten about that thing with the Crazy Canuck and the local cowboy-and someone has pictures!)

:wave:

IN - Booking rooms (2) today. Jerry, Mary-Anna, and Barry Druschel will be riding down with me. Plan on Friday evening arrival and heading back on Monday. Looking forward to this one as I won't make the spring Torrey this year.

I'm a maybe and won't know until closer to the date. If I make it, it'll just be a one day in one day out and riding solo. Can't stay for the whole shebang.

(hopefully they have forgotten about that thing with the Crazy Canuck and the local cowboy-and someone has pictures!) :wave:

You mean this one?

284428529_uC7Ci-L.jpg

Where "Pork Chop" shows how he got his name?

OOOOOOPPPPSSSS, Sorry, I meant to post this one:

248110610_9E2mx-L.jpg

Ooops, you mean this guy:

248102953_4p82H-L.jpg

I can't find a pic of those cowboys though!!!

I gave her my last name "Turk" and she said "you just canceled" and I said, "No, that is another Turk". Then I had to explain that!

I don't get that one though... I never made reservations, since I knew I couldn't make this one. There must be a third one? :P

(hopefully they have forgotten about that thing with the Crazy Canuck and the local cowboy-and someone has pictures!)

Woh woh woh...I don't remember any cowboys...oh yeah I do remember them now. What happened to the rule that "What happens in Beatty stays in Beatty"????

Im in tentatively, providing I don't have my shoulder surgery before then. We will see what the Doc says next week. :P

Hey Mr. Duck when are you leaving for DVD maybe we can hook up for the ride there?

Hey Mr. Duck when are you leaving for DVD maybe we can hook up for the ride there?

Oh yeah we will!

Looks like Cornelius is in and maybe a couple of the other local yahoos also :thumbsup:

Lets get this other holiday done and over with then we'll know more when the time gets closer.

:wave:

I gave her my last name "Turk" and she said "you just canceled" and I said, "No, that is another Turk". Then I had to explain that!

I don't get that one though... I never made reservations, since I knew I couldn't make this one. There must be a third one? :P

Hmmmmmm, I don't get it either. Maybe there are more of us, scary thought!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm adding two more to the list,so now Myself, Cornelius, Clint and Scott! We will be leaving thru Mojave on Friday morning, and maybe picking up some of the Bakersfield crowd along the way(Crazy Canuck,check yer PM)

Anybody ever get ahold of the Sourdough Saloon for Saturday night? That was a great deal last year, like to do that again!

Have a happy new year and see ya in DV :wave:

I have never ridden to Beatty before, just Pahrump. It looks like I have a number of choices for routes. I live right by the junction of the 395 and the 15.

One route would be the 15 to Baker and then 127 to 373 to 95.

Another would be 395, 190 to 374.

Or Vegas to the 95.

There appears to be another small road that goes off the 395 at Red Mountain but since I'll be alone it looks pretty isolated.

The route through Baker looks to be the fastest but I've ridden that route many times as far as Furnace Creek so I'd prefer something new, any suggestions? I'm planning on leaving home Friday morning if that matters.

I guess a big consideration will be the weather as we get closer.

Gregg, another route option you didn't list routes you up 395 to Ridgecrest, then into the Panamint Valley through Trona. You might consider that going to Beatty or for your route home. DVD route option Also, taking the Wildrose Rd cutoff (178) off 190 through the the narrow canyon is historic and scenic and worth considering depending on time of day and temps (possible ice in sun protected areas).

Jeff

Gregg there are several of us from the Lancaster area leaving on Friday Morning, gonna meet up with some of the Bakersfield Bunch out in Pearsonville, just north of the 14/395 junction, then on to Olancha for a food stop.

You're welcome to join us :thumbsup:

(Disclaimer Warning! Being seen arriving with this group may damage your reputation!) :eek::wave:

Ha! Yes I went through beautiful downtown Trona years ago on my first BMWRT trip to Furnace Creek. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll get my map out again and take a look. mrduck, any idea what time you might get to 14 & 395? I'm figuring I'll be in Beatty for lunch, if I'm figuring correctly it is only 250 miles so about 4 hours.

Archived