IGNORED

BRR Check in and tales

Knifemaker

I had a nice time at my first-ever BMWRT.com event, and plan on attending more in the future.

Also, thanks to all who made the BRR happen and to Craig (Ty Tass) for introducing me to a lot of nice folks and fabulous rides to/from the BRR.

Well gang, here's my story...

I had to work a 1/2 day on Thursday and then met up with Tim (tallman) and his bride Beth for the ride up around 1630. Was a great trip up the back roads of South GA until we got up 'round the GA300/I-75 interchange. That's where the sky opened up and we scurried for cover:

Gearinupfortherain.jpg

and Tim was apparently under the spell of a leprechaun or something:

YesTimitsarainbow.jpg

Beth and I assured him that this was in fact a rainbow and that no matter how tall he thinks he is, he would not be able to get over it.

After getting Tim to get back on the motor, we continued up 75 through a very strong thunder boomer to Perry, Ga.

Tim is still trying to get over the shock of a Jag trying to run us over:

WhatPete.jpg

The next day we wake to cloudy cool weather and travel the back roads from Macon to Madison, GA. then thru Athens and stop in Clayton to shed some gear.

Wowmthereshills.jpg

This is my first ride to the Mountains on a motor and I am awed by the wonderful views. We finally get into Maggie Valley in time to see my hero Marty on the front porch in a rocking chair. A warm welcome and handshakes was had and new friends made.

A short time after we arrived, John (Motorman587) and his bride roll in and the pit crew immediately goes to work on his leaking rear brake:

Motormanaintpleased.jpg

Alas, John and I head over to get provisions:

MeJP.jpg

Night falls and motors are ready for the next days adventures

AllthemotorsreadyfortheAM.jpg

After a good nights sleep, Motorman, Mrs. Motorman and I head out for a great ride....209 to some road that parallels a river (John lead, my GPS was off sorry) and into Ashville for lunch:

LunchinAVL.jpg

After lunch it was up 151 to the BRP:

Inthegroove.jpg

Sunrays.jpg

All the colors:

ooothecolors.jpg

were very distracting to some:

Lookattheweeves.jpg

Anyhow, I was having a ball when we reached the top of the BRP:

TopoftheBRP.jpg

After some 250 miles and smiles, we get back to MVI and I hook up with the other gang and we're off again. We stop at a look out and take a break for pics:

Friendsonabreak.jpg

Livinthelife-1.jpg

After our ride, we're back to the MVI for supper and re hydration!

Up the next day at 0615 on the road by 0830 with Ron and the Motorman's!

Our great lunch in Madison, Ga:

NotMadison.jpg

and home....with a lot to reflect on:

Reflections.jpg

Thanks for letting me ramble! Can't wait for the next one.

Motormanaintpleased.jpg

And Marty saves the day again. Nobody wanted to see that gratuitous shot.

Great meeting you Pete

Not true, the CDI factor was high on that one!!! It was also my pleasure to get to know ya!

Arrived yesterday late afternoon after a two day trip home. The colors in the Adirondaks around Lake George are really spectacular.

Thanks again to Matt and Shawn. Great riding and it was nice to see everyone.

I've attended all of the El Paseos and BRRs except for the first and for what its worth I think this location in Maggie Valley has been the best of all. The reasons: (1)Central location with respect to the best roads on the east coast (within range of Cherohala to the west, SC and Ga to the south, Roan to the northeast and of course the BRP),(2)Ambience of the outdoor social areas (the Tiki Bar beats dragging chairs into the parking lot),(3)Restaurant on the premises (besides saving a night ride to eat, also means that Sat dinner doesn't have to be barbeque),and(4)Alcohol availability. There are a few minus points given for a worn physical plant and occasional obnoxiously loud pipes but overall its a winner. Just my two cents in advance of any decision move the venue again.

Marty may not be doing anything terribly useful, but at least he's covering the potential crack snafu. :/

That was more of my point than being Johnny on the spot with the proper tools. :grin:

No idea what your talking about...as usual. I'll take it as a complement.

Dang, you're getting old and senile, Marty. The point is that you were covering a potential "plumber's crack" in the mechanic on the ground. :grin:

Odd, I was there and never saw the crack. Doubt that means I'm old and senile. Not sure what is says about both of you! :grin:

I want to thank Shawn & Matt for putting together another fantastic event again. Simply put … Western NC just doesn’t suck! And that’s true whether Spring or Fall … it’s simply amazing! What roads, what views, what fun! But best of all, what a great bunch of people! For me that’s what lasts longest. And with that said, should Shawn & Matt decide to attempt another venue (just as EP moved around at times) I trust that they will do an excellent job of hosting BRR anywhere in the region.

I would think it would almost certainly be all the same people! We can go ride any of these roads alone – but who then would we share those tales with for better recall later? Who then would we be able to help us improve our stories at the end of the day over our first beers? Who then would we lie to through our teeth (or bratwurst as the case may be, Shannon) as those stories grow even bigger with more alcohol and/or enthusiasm?

I enjoyed seeing many of the “BRR gang” again, and sorry I missed others. I count myself lucky to have become acquainted with more of the BMWST family – ones I apparently missed meeting or barely got to say more than “Hi” at previous events: Jim, Dave (APDLIBER), Phil (PRC), Bill (Knifemaker), Jan (Twisties) & Sharon (Bullet), TomK, etc. Also, I’d like to welcome some new friends who made their 1st BMWST appearances: Cheryl (RTLVR), and – last but not least – Ed_Nowicki (now my MD riding partner).

Sorry to those who I’ve forgotten to include in this writing. Please don’t be offended … my short-term memory for names has never been my strong suit.

Odd, I was there and never saw the crack. Doubt that means I'm old and senile. Not sure what is says about both of you! :grin:

"O" it was there........... :thumbsup:

BTW, bike was fixed and it turned out to be final drive seal. Glad that it did not blow.

Any how, Kieth thanks for attempting to find the problem.

BTW, bike was fixed and it turned out to be final drive seal. Glad that it did not blow.

Really? It was the final drive seal? Damn........that fluid sure didn't look, smell, or feel like gear oil to me. I could have sworn it was brake fluid.

Shows what I know......glad you got it sorted out.

Really? It was the final drive seal? Damn........that fluid sure didn't look, smell, or feel like gear oil to me. I could have sworn it was brake fluid.

Shows what I know......glad you got it sorted out.

He told me the rear tire had to be taken off to see it. Fluids can be tricky, and probably would be easier to do in a shop on a stand than in a parking lot. I still thank you for looking and trying, makes you feel good that "we" take care of each other.......... :thumbsup:

Yeah......maybe you can call the VA State Police for me and ask them to back off on their crack down on dirty BMW RT's :grin:

If you were in here in the city limits, done deal.. :D

Made it home yesterday about 9pm. Spent Sunday on the BRP heading to meet my friend over near Boone. Next day we did more of the BRP and finally hit the slab at 77. Long day but fun.

Want to thank Shawn, Matt, and Diane for all the hard work and look forward to next spring's event!

Also want to thank Matt & Craig for letting me tag along on the rides Friday and Saturday. Some great roads and good food.... if I ever get my sandwich, that is. :D

1500 miles later and I'm still smiling... at least until I have to go wash all the bugs off the bike.

Jim

Just to follow up, I finally made it home at 2:30 this afternoon.

Thanks again Matt and Shawn (and Dianne and Rainey , hope I got the spelling right). We REALLY appreciate what you and your families go through to put together the BRR. It's a nice little gathering in a great location with good people.

You guys rock.

209 on the way to Hot Springs.

392612424_9ukqW-XL.jpg

Hey!!! I remember that road!!!! It ROCKED!

I thought you told me you had your eyes closed........... :wave:

Just a few quick ones from our trip

My favorite overlook on US74

394414819_CuYXA-M.jpg

394415097_FBVbc-M.jpg

Thursday morning on the Hellbender on the way to Deal's Gap

394410430_zx2tc-M.jpg

394413163_Sgok7-M.jpg

394410210_ikQi3-M.jpg

Friday up on the Parkway

394410430_zx2tc-M.jpg

394412288_fLJqt-M.jpg

394412586_Fingm-M.jpg

Jim, Craig and Dave on the BRP

394412359_FMvZu-M.jpg

394410660_iU6gQ-M.jpg

394410765_x3rz9-M.jpg

Saturday at Triple Falls

394412988_bdzUX-M.jpg

394412805_FzzAu-M.jpg

Near Highlands

394411755_9YnUC-M.jpg

394411816_ypfdD-M.jpg

Sunday at Tallulah Falls and Gorge in Georgia

394411186_2xDoB-M.jpg

394413037_fBshR-M.jpg

Thought you all might enjoy this pic. I took it off the Cowee Mountains Overlook on the BRP on Friday just before I got to Maggie Valley. The rain had just cleared, and the clouds were blowing up over the back of the ridge and up over my head. Awesome moment.

392612387_GCaSW-L.jpg

I love this pic, good work!!!

Nice n Easy Rider
Just now going through my pics for the first time. This one jumped out at me. More later. Good to meet everybody.

394809260_X8DWD-O.jpg

Jan

Jan,

Absolutely beautiful picture :thumbsup::thumbsup:

With so many beautiful pictures of where, I thought I’d add a few of the who.

Paul (license plate Old Frt)

DSC01271.jpg

Melanie (Mrs. Motorman)

DSC01265.jpg

Shannon arriving and asking the valet, Paul, to park her bike.

DSC01262.jpg

Alan and Deb showing off synchronized riding and attire.

DSC01270.jpg

Paul, TomK, Sharon (Bullet), Jan (Twisties), Raaan (RonB), and EB, checking out the GS Jan rented.

DSC01345.jpg

Picture worth more than... :/

DSC01348.jpg

Matt at the Grille, where’s a Fireman when you need one? :grin:

DSC01274.jpg

The Big Bend Krewe (Tallahassee Style)

Ron, Beth(Mrs. Tallman), me, Melanie, John, and Pete (PRC)

DSC01277.jpg

Marty and Cheryl (RT-lover) rocking out

DSC01260.jpg

Beth checking out a really tall man

There is a sculpture park at the intersection of 107 and 64 in Cashiers

DSC01245-1.jpg

As usual, Sock Monkey made an appearance.

DSC01240.jpg

And, one for the road less traveled.

DSC01252.jpg

Thanks to all for making this a memorable event. :wave:

Well, I have no real tale to tell about my 15 mile ride home....but I could make something up... :/

It was really great meeting all of you and I look forward to future events! You ALL ROCK!

Cheryl

It was really great meeting all of you and I look forward to future events! You ALL ROCK!

Especially at 2 AM... :grin::thumbsup:

Shawn

2 a.m.???? ....ashamed0002.gif.......Linda likes to make up stories...can't believe a word she says!winking0011.gif

Thanks to Twisties I just discovered this thread...noobs are that way...

Had a great time and enjoyed meeting everyone for the first time. The riding was great, the company great, food, and you name it...especially the fog on the BRP..LOL!

Rode some twisties with a neat group Sunday then rode and played all across the N. Ga. twisties home to Alabama on Monday. Got home around 5:00 PM, cleaned up, and vegged out.

Thanks all for a fun time!!

Jim

.....a tale of New Old Friends is in the works!

Livinthelife.jpg

I wonder if the Sheriff ever caught these escapees??

It was GREAT riding with you all!! Please don't Taze me PRC!! :grin:

Archived