IGNORED

Just ate it.

ShovelStrokeEd

ShovelStrokeEd

Well, I won't be sitting on my Blackbird for awhile.

Crashed pretty hard at about 70 mph about an hour and a half ago.

A case of heat and a bit of fatigue coupled with rampant stupidity led me, who was in the wrong lane despite my GPS nagging me, to switch lanes at the last moment and ride over a bit of gravel divider. Trouble was, there was an unseen depression there and I hit it at about 70. End of the depression was 8" of concrete.

Hit it at an angle, bike flew up and came down all crossed up. Just flat no way to save it and down I went in a low side. Destroyed every piece of the gear I had on along with every piece of plastic on the bike. I have pics but no place to post them. Thank goodness the bike continued in front of me, sliding on the Givi's and the front fairing.

I didn't fair too badly. I have two broken (smashed) finger tips on my right hand, a strawberry on my right knee and a little rash on my right arm. Left index finger knuckle has a bump and about a pea sized grind. Right ankle is sore and my right rib cage is bruised but not broken (I think). Deep breaths are an issue so I might just take a ride to the hospital a bit later. Head and neck are fine and I was lucid within moments of coming to a stop. A little dizzy when I first tried to get up but it cleared within seconds.

Face shield of the helmet is rashed like you wouldn't believe. Coretech GPX jacket is shredded but, for the most part kept me from the concrete. Ditto the First Gear Escape pants. Both of the cases of rash I have are from the armor shifting out of place and both cases are burns, not road rash.

The guys I had just passed stopped traffic and helped me big time. Indiana state trooper on the scene in minutes. EMT folks there shortly after he called them. Everybody was so very nice and helpful. Trooper and the EMT guy helped right the bike and then helped me ride it out of the 8' deep ditch. I asked him to give me a ticket for riding while stupid but the don't do that. I did get a ticket for no insurance as they were unable to determine that Florida does not require insurance on a motorcycle so he had to issue the ticket. Least of my worries.

I'm in a hotel just outside of Indy and will rent a car in the morning to get me to South Bend. I'll put the bike in a storage unit till I can figure out what to do with it. I actually rode the bike to the hotel, with a tweaked front fork and no rear peg on the right side. Both the EMT and the trooper followed me to the hotel as I rode on the shoulder about a mile or so.

Many thanks to God for some fortunate decisions I made this morning and for letting me survive relatively unscathed. Decision 1 was to put on my Held Steves. They got beat up pretty bad but my hands didn't. Oxtar Matrix boots ground through the leather at the toe on the right side but did not penetrate the shell.

I slid for a bit, then I tumbled for a bit and generally did a pretty good imitation of a rag doll. Could have been much, much worse.

Sh!t Ed,

glad to hear you are relatively OK. I would get those ribs looked at, if there is one bust it could cause further injuries.

Thinking of you bud.

Andy

Ed, glad your able to write about it, and so sorry that you have to. Hope you feel better soon. I'll let the other folks chastise you for driving fatigued. Hope the rest of your journey is uneventful. :cry:

Holy crap, Ed!!

Don't you have more important things to do 1 1/2 hours after crashing than posting it here?! Take a shower and tend to yourself!! A few stiff drinks may help deaden the pain this evening.

Thankfully, you weren't hurt worse than you were. Indy's probably only 5 hours from here if you need anything........

You're too old and stubborn to get too hurt. :) Email me the pix and I'll host them and send you back the links.

I have a truck and trailer and can come up and get your bike tonight or whenever you want and store it for you.

Good thing you've attended SlidingSmart, you goofy fool.

I feel like saying something cute and funny, but I can't think of any thing at the moment. I'll work on it while I'm puttering in the garage.

Glad you came through in fairly good shape.

Stan (BTDT)

Ed, get to a hospital and let them check you out if you have any nagging symptoms at all! Way better to be safe than sorry there. Bike will be fixed, pride will heal, but make sure that all the important stuff is OK...

Francois_Dumas

Whoooaaa man !!

SlidingSmart is good.... *grin*.... surviving is better. Glad you didn't get hurt more than you did Ed, still pretty big crash though! I'd have those ribs looked at, you never know !

Now, smart-ass as I am, I have to tell you that a more upright riding position would have allowed you to see that little pesky depression of course :lurk:

Hope all heals quickly !! :)

Sorry bout that Ed. You may be a lot more sore in the mornin. Be careful and get some X-Rays if anything stiffins or swells up.

Good Job on the gear.

Fellow crash test dummy.

Whip

CoarsegoldKid

Glad you are well enough to write about it Ed. The fact that you did means a lot to your extended family BMWST.com Go to the hospital for a check out. The rib may just be a greenstick, better to be save. Tomorrow's doing to hurt. Ouch!

I wondered about armor staying put.

I have to tell you that a more upright riding position would have allowed you to see that little pesky depression of course

Not nice.....

Hope it didn't make Ed laugh (probably hurts)!!!

Stan

All of us that have seen the ground close up know it aint no fun.

Many of the impacts you received will be much more inflamed shortly, definitely by tomorrow. A check up is good advise. You may have a difficult time driving tomorrow also.

Heal up my man!

ShovelStrokeEd

Sliding smart is right. :)

I'm gonna take a few more snaps of the gear and then I'll send them on. Not sure if I'll be able to afford a Smugmug account for awhile.

I have to get my head together in re arrangements so I'll hold off on your kind offer for now. I have work appointments for the next 3 weeks so I'll need to store the bike for at least that long.

AdventurePoser

Ed,

Sorry to hear about your crash and I am glad you came through it relatively unscathed; I agree with you, it could have been much worse!

Get those ribs looked at!

Take care,

Steve in So Cal

My saying is: There are two motorcyclist. Those that have been down and those that have yet to go down. Glad to hear that you were able to get back up. Take care of yourself.

I'm glad to hear you cheated the statistics Ed.

Please take care of yourself and make sure you are completely ok before climbing behind the wheel.

Crap man! You crash at 70 m.p.h., ride off on the same bike, and tell the story an hour later! You gotta be doin something right..Congratulations!

Glad it turned out good for ya!

:thumbsup:

Take care..

I have work appointments for the next 3 weeks so I'll need to store the bike for at least that long.

I have a time, a trailer and space in the garage if it's not too far out of your way to retrieve it at your convenience. I'm just sayin'.......

Ed, thanks for the report. Every so often I think " just this one time without the gear"

But, I use it ALL anyway, and this mishap of your justifies the concept.

a ticket for riding while stupid or RWS, that is funny, but lets not give the lawmakers any more Ideas

Heal well, my friend

Shots from "Ed's Motorcycle Buffing Service"...

DSCN0032.jpg

DSCN0033.jpg

DSCN0034.jpg

DSCN0035.jpg

DSCN0036.jpg

DSCN0037.jpg

DSCN0038.jpg

DSCN0039.jpg

DSCN0040.jpg

DSCN0042.jpg

DSCN0043.jpg

DSCN0045.jpg

DSCN0047.jpg

DSCN0048.jpg

DSCN0049.jpg

Ed, I'm a little surprised that thing was rideable. Wow.

All I got to say "holy $hit", I am glad you are ok. That helmet is very impressive.

Hey about the insurance thing, I know you stated it is not an issue but something to think about. Florida you do not need insurance until you crash. Sounds stupid, but I pulled this from the web.

This is intended to protect yourself. I have not mentioned anything about covering the "other" person if the accident is your fault! (I'll touch that for a quick second.) In Florida, you are not required to have motorcycle insurance. Well some folks don't realize if you are in a wreck and it's your fault and you have no liability, you will be charged with failure of Florida's financial responsibility law, and they can take your driving privilege away. I know it sounds stupid where it's not required by law to have it on a motorcycle but it's true. Take a look at Chapter 324, Florida Statutes.
AdventurePoser
I post better than Ed rides.

Ed, how we doing on those ribs? :grin:

:grin: :grin:

Hard to believe that bike was rideable afterwards. Way to go, Honda...

Now, Ed, if your smashed fingers and ribs are doing ok, I'll feel much better!

Steve in So Cal

From now on, everytime I think it's too hot to wear my gear or because I'm just going to run a quick errand I'll remember this post. It can happen anytime, anyplace and I'm glad you're able to walk away to talk about it within minutes of the accident. I think you're going to be a sore puppy in the morning, but glad you're basically none the worse for wear.

Bruce

Holy Moly! Ed, you are a tough semi-old fart. I feel like saying Happy Birthday! As everybody else said, get some x-rays. Let us know how many bottles of Ibuprofen it took to be able to work the next three weeks :dopeslap:

Seriously, you are a lucky bastich but don't push too hard. The world will not end if you skip a few days of work.

John Ranalletta

Ed, if you haven't found a place to stow the bike, call me and I can pick it up and stow it here.

I'm on the NE side of Indy. Not sure where you are but can't be more than 1/2 hour away.

john ranalletta

317-752-6277

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

Clearly your advanced acrobatic skills and ATGATT saved you butt on this one.

Glad to hear that your faired so well.

I'm going to go practice my tumbling.

Rich

See, that's why your mother told you to sit up straight, but no, you had to lean forward and arch your back...

Glad you didn't come off any worse Ed.

Crap man! You crash at 70 m.p.h., ride off on the same bike, and tell the story an hour later! You gotta be doin something right..Congratulations!

My sentiments EXACTLY. You just might want to take the day off tomorrow. Your body may give you no other choice. If you have any pain killers I would start taking them NOW! I am glad you are OK.

Sorry to hear about your crash/slide, but glad to hear you are relatively unscathed. I agree that you should get checked out by a doctor, just in case.

Well Ed I’m sure not going to say anything about the incident other than to say glad you are OK & still functional.. Sh*t happens & as you found out it happens real quick like at speed on a motorcycle..

Need anything let me/us know as will help any way I can..

You are going to be one hurting son-of-a-gun tomorrow morning when you wake up.. If you bumped those ribs those will keep you awake at night as breathing while lying down will be painful..

The bike looks beat up but probably repairable.. You look beat up but repairable.. Learning experience “Priceless” ..

Just consider it “track day” & take what you learned from the adventure & move on.. My guess is you ain’t going to do that again!

You might want to say a prayer tonight & thank someone..

Twisty

Good News /Bad News

No, this is ALL good news. If you can walk and type an hour and a half after a fall like that . . . this is one very good day Ed.

Add me to those who says you should take AT LEAST tomorrow off. Not just for the body but for the psyche - let things settle down in your whole endocrine system, it will serve you well in the long run.

Congratulations Ed and I hope you heal fast and completely.

Dang Ed,

I'm very glad to hear you are okay, but I hope the ribs aren't more damaged than your toughness/crustiness/stubbornness are letting you know.

I'm very glad you were able to walk over and ride what's left to a room. I hope you feel better in a couple of days, and keep- us posted!

Glad to hear you're OK, Ed. If you're going to keep stuntin' like that, look into some crash bars. Still, doesn't look too bad. I'd ride it.

So, are you going to repair or replace it?

Ed, if you need someplace to put the bike I can find some space in my garage. I am about an hour and a half away. The indy BMW,Triumph,Polaris dealer is good to deal with along with Pop Dreher Honda, both are on the west side of Indy. JON

Ed,

Thank god you are Ok, but please go, an hour ago, to check out the rest of you by a pro.

Gotta ask, how's Sock Monkey?

Take care, screw work until you get a complete clean bill that there's nothing else going on.

Let someone pick up the bike for you and stash it.

Time for that later.

Get well soon.

Ed,

Sorry about your get-off. Heal my man.

We have some great members here, so don't hesitate to use them. Its what its about.

And we'll be expecting a post get-off Dunlop Roadsmart tire report ASAP!

MB>

Archived