IGNORED

Just ate it.

ShovelStrokeEd

ShovelStrokeEd

Doubtful given the conditions.

Sun angle was such that the entire field was lit up, light gray colored gravel. No contrast or shadows available to delineate the hole till I was nearly on top of it.

I'm not making excuses, it was a bonehead move, but vision forward had nothing whatever to do with it. In fact my normal riding position provide excellent forward vision, well over the windscreen. Typically, the horizon is below the centerline of my viewport and I'll be willing to bet I can see the ground closer to my front wheel than an RT rider of the same size as my head is much further forward relative to my butt.

Ed, I was being a smart ass, riding that kind of bike, I am sure sitting up right is limited.

I am glad that you are OK and sure could care less if you KISS the mirrors sit up right, or squeezed the seat.

It sucks to read about someone that you know that crashes, but I am glad that you pump all this information out.

Get well and see ya in Ceder Key in January.

Ed, Just saw this. Truly sucks but glad you're basically ok. Thanks for the introspective account and self-critique, as someome said, we can learn a lot from this without having to experience it.

Save that face shield. There's a bunch of beenie wearers that need to see it.

First thing I thought when I saw that pic, too - that would be pretty rough.

Glad you are ok, Ed - and what a reminder to us on so many levels - gear, judgement, riding attitude, even something as small as stuff in your pockets - your experience and analysis will definitely make me pay more attention when I am on the road.

Sorry to hear about your accident,Ed. Glad you were able to walk away. Hope those ribs are okay, the hands heal quickly, and things work out for the best.

Just catching up... given the outcome - all I can say is that you're blessed. There were a whole lot of things that had to have happened just right for you to ride away from that.

Hope you continue to heal and that have many, many more years of enjoyable wheels down riding ahead of you.

John Ranalletta

Ed's ordering parts 'n pieces, but the rearset could only be sourced as a set for lots o' bucks; so, the broken piece was welded and reset. It's not pretty, but it should provide a footrest for the trip home.

IMG_1363.jpg

IMG_1365.jpg

IMG_1366.jpg

IMG_1367.jpg

Lone_RT_rider

Ed,

I just ran across this thread (been busy with new job) and I am glad you are ok! Big Kudos to Tasker and JohnR up there in Indy. Once again they prove while I am always proud to call them friends.

Heal well Ed... :thumbsup:

Shawn

I just caught this one myself and I agree you are a lucky man. Glad you came out of it ok for the most part and the bike held up amasingly well also. Seems as though aug/sept has been the month for get offs. I killed my FL last month and the wife upped thew AD&D policy a few 100 thou...

I don't come through this section very often -- just seen the news.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Ed. My hat is off to you for your honest analysis of the event and the hours leading up to it. I know I've been there and it will make me think the next time, so thanks.

Ed

When I started reading about your get off, I had a flashback of you pulling in my driveway wearing your jacket and ....... microfiber pants. It was very hot that day. Great to see that you had all the gear on for this incident.

I often ride with other folks who do not wear gear other than a scull cap. I get comments like "you must be hot" , "Can't believe you are wearing all that stuff" etc. My standard reply to their comments is that my wife found me a bike on the newspaper when I wanted to get back into riding. She was 4 months pregnant at the time. She asked 2 things in return, 1) to not drink if I was to ride and 2) wear gear when ridding (She meant helmet and gloves as she did not know much about motorcycling). Not a bad set of rules especially now that we have 3 kids.

Get well and if you're ever around this part of the country again, give me a ring. We'll have a couple of Sol's and put some steaks on the grill.

a

ShovelStrokeEd

That is often my costume when on a short ride. Never on a long one. I know it seems silly as statistics show the most likely time for an accident is near home base. I don't much gear up for my most dangerous ride either, which is the 4.4 mile one way from my home to my office.

My last crash, a couple of years ago, I was wearing all the gear as well. A bit different in character as the speed was much lower and the landing zone much softer. I really had no choice as to gear as the only thing I had with me was my Roadcrafter one piece and it was a lot cooler.

Nothing much better than Sol and steak. I'll be sure to look you up.

ShovelStrokeEd

Your telling me.

That is a sum of about 5 impacts, I didn't really stop to count them but heard them as I was tumbling. On a lesser coverage helmet, I probably wouldn't have a face at all. The one I have now is no bargain but I have grown attached to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, Ed. I'm very late to this thread, but just had to add my good wishes. You are an icon around here with a lot of wisdom to share, and I'm glad you're going to be okay.

Sorry to hear about your accident - glad your ok

thanks for sharing your experience.

I been in your position before - driving aggressively - learned something - thanks

Get well soon

ShovelStrokeEd

That's going to take awhile yet.

JohnRan is holding the bike for me in his garage and has cleaned things up and gotten the footpeg repaired. I'm still not quite in good enough physical condition to work on it, nor am I in financial condition to afford the parts.

Fingers are healing, scrapes are all but healed with no signs of infection. Ribs are problematic. Bruised or broken, I can still not put any stress on the pecs nor can I make any sudden upward movements. I very much doubt I'll be able to ride it home.

I'll probably rent/borrow a truck and haul it back home when I have finished my current work assignment. Fortunately, that stuff I can do.

Fingers are healing, scrapes are all but healed with no signs of infection. Ribs are problematic. Bruised or broken, I can still not put any stress on the pecs nor can I make any sudden upward movements. I very much doubt I'll be able to ride it home.

Ed - Just read this thread - thank God you are OK!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us! You and the other regular contributors to this fantastic BMWST "family" continue to motivate, inspire and help me become safer and enjoy more my passion for riding motorcycles.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

I just saw this thread and am very happy that it wasn't worse. Thanks for sharing the mental aspect with us and don't do anything that would slow the healing aspects.

Archived