IGNORED

the asinine (?) price of gasoline; let's have a 2-3 day boycott!

jwg122843

steve.foote

The independent truckers (90% of all truckers!!) are paid a set amount per route, NOT getting compensated for the increased fuel costs. Despite transport companies charging extra for the "fuel", they're not passing it on to the trucker. Only the company truckers who gas up on the company's dime are OK.

Silva, if that is truely the case, then the independants are making a huge business mistake. In business, you have to include all of your expenses as part of you costs of doing business. Add on your profit margin and you have the cost to customers.

If independant truckers are not being allowed to adjust their rates based upon their CODB, they should strike. If they are simply failing to adjust their rates, then it is their own fault. I would be interested to know which it is.

DavidEBSmith

If independant truckers are not being allowed to adjust their rates based upon their CODB, they should strike. If they are simply failing to adjust their rates, then it is their own fault. I would be interested to know which it is.

Of course, it's not just whether they can raise their rates, it's whether they can raise their rates if the big transport companies don't raise theirs.

I don't know enough about the trucking industry to discuss it intelligently, but that won't stop me from expressing an opinion. I get the impression that the independent truckers lack market power - the rates are largely set by the transport companies and freight brokers, and the independents can meet those prices or stay home. The transport companies have the advantage of bulk fuel purchases, but the disadvantage of more overhead in driver benefits, non-driver staff salaries, etc. The independents can cut corners on overhead, but are getting beat up by the huge increases in fuel costs.

So then the question is, do we just tell the independent truckers they made a bad career choice, too bad so sad, or is there some broader advantage to keeping independents alive and in the industry so that the economic power and rate-setting ability doesn't get concentrated in the hands of a few transport companies?

steve.foote
So then the question is, do we just tell the independent truckers they made a bad career choice, too bad so sad, or is there some broader advantage to keeping independents alive and in the industry so that the economic power and rate-setting ability doesn't get concentrated in the hands of a few transport companies?

Hey, I got an idea. Let's turn the shipping industry over to the government. That should take care of it.

Oh, come on, David. If Sylva is correct by asserting that 90% of the trucking industry is independants, then they have plenty of leverage. Those evil transport companies won't be able to fulfil their sinister plans of hoarding obscene amounts of wealth, at the expense of the little guy, unless they can move stuff.

Now, I haven't heard from any of our own truckers here, but I'll bet there is a mechanism in place to account for variations in fuel prices. And, if there isn't, they should organize and strike. It's as simple as that.

Oil for every body.

This is an example of what is happening everywhere in the world. As the prices goes up, sources of fuel thought to be out of reach will become profitable and there will be more fuel available than ever before.

http://www.kiplinger.com/businessresourc...her_080317.html

Go North Dakota Go!!!!!

That's exactly what I was saying a few posts back!

Hey, I got an idea. Let's turn the shipping industry over to the government. That should take care of it.

Oh, come on, David. If Sylva is correct by asserting that 90% of the trucking industry is independants, then they have plenty of leverage. Those evil transport companies won't be able to fulfil their sinister plans of hoarding obscene amounts of wealth, at the expense of the little guy, unless they can move stuff.

Now, I haven't heard from any of our own truckers here, but I'll bet there is a mechanism in place to account for variations in fuel prices. And, if there isn't, they should organize and strike. It's as simple as that.

There is no single answer for the inde's - some have long contracts in place and others work load-to-load (haul a load to one coast, make a pickup and haul back the other direction). Those with long term contracts may have clauses which address fuel prices - others may not.

Additionally there are several sizes and forms of transport companies. Some are truly truck companies, others are a branch of a large corporation such as Walmart or the drivers for UPS. Transport companies vary in size as well. One of the key disadvantages for many transport companies is that they are union.

The suggestion of the inde's going on strike is nice and manly but incredibly simple minded. With no income, how do they feed their families and pay the mortgage on their homes and trucks? Do we really want another trucking strike like the last which shut down companies across the nation? Practically speaking, going on strike will do nothing to void a contract which locks an inde into money losing rates.

Oil for every body.

This is an example of what is happening everywhere in the world. As the prices goes up, sources of fuel thought to be out of reach will become profitable and there will be more fuel available than ever before.

http://www.kiplinger.com/businessresourc...her_080317.html

Go North Dakota Go!!!!!

That's exactly what I was saying a few posts back!

The contention that "there will be more fuel than ever before" is misleading at best. At a high enough price there will be plenty of fuel, but this is not to be confused with a plentiful supply of $20 per barrel crude. This simply isn't happening and my apologies if I burst your bubble.

Economics clearly state that substitutes will become more prevalent as prices raise and that demand will drop with rising prices. At some point we will reach an equilibrium in price and supply but this is only temporary due to the quickly growing thirst for energy in other developing nations. For example China has been negotiating contracts for crude with Canada for a number of reasons but in part to limit their reliance on energy from unstable regions - the Middle East.

An irony brought about by the rise in fuel prices is that I'm seeing a number of my anti-environmentalist colleagues driving around in hybrids or other efficient vehicles. clap.gif In the end, economics will be the major force in determining what most of us drive and the fuel it uses. After all, the vehicle manufacturers will respond to what the market wants.

steve.foote
The suggestion of the inde's going on strike is nice and manly but incredibly simple minded. With no income, how do they feed their families and pay the mortgage on their homes and trucks? Do we really want another trucking strike like the last which shut down companies across the nation? Practically speaking, going on strike will do nothing to void a contract which locks an inde into money losing rates.

So are you suggesting that they should just keep losing money?

steve.foote
An irony brought about by the rise in fuel prices is that I'm seeing a number of my anti-environmentalist colleagues driving around in hybrids or other efficient vehicles. clap.gif In the end, economics will be the major force in determining what most of us drive and the fuel it uses. After all, the vehicle manufacturers will respond to what the market wants.

I know this is the way you would like it to work out, but I have a feeling you are going to be disappointed. There are a lot of folks out there who aren't ready to move back into the caves.

I know this is the way you would like it to work out, but I have a feeling you are going to be disappointed. There are a lot of folks out there who aren't ready to move back into the caves.
Sometimes there's a BIG difference between what one knows and what one believes. The trick in life is being able to distinguish between the two... thumbsup.gif

So are you suggesting that they should just keep losing money?

No I'm not suggesting they should keep losing money, but I also don't believe a strike is a winning proposition. The other day there was a trucker "march" on the capital where truckers drove around honking their horns to let everyone know they were PO'd. A nice display, but again I don't know that it accomplished anything.

The basic problem isn't really the price of the fuel - instead it is the fact they're not getting paid enough to cover the (much) higher cost of the fuel. The simple solution (in concept at least) is to raise their rates. If however there are existing contracts then these need to be addressed. The customers need to understand that if contracts are not renegotiated then the truckers will go bankrupt. In business, it's never comforting to lose a reliable supplier so some truckers may be able to negotiate higher rates.

Perhaps there are some trucking companies with fuel contracts which are giving the companies a competitive advantage right now, but these contracts will certainly change over time and the advantage will be gone. Looking back a year, there was not a significant fuel cost advantage for the transport companies otherwise the inde's would have been losing business due to much lower rates from the transport companies.

Additionally, there is a relatively fixed amount of capacity from the transport companies. To be profitable the transport companies will try to keep their drivers and rigs as busy as possible. So if the inde's were to disappear I don't see where the capacity would come from to replace them. Perhaps a percentage would move from being independent to driving for a company, but again I would be surprised to see this cover the missing capacity.

I guess the bottom line is that the higher cost of fuel is going to affect us in many ways. Perhaps one of the side benefits will be a return to the day of higher quality products - but I'm not holding my breath expecting this to happen any time soon!

Sometimes there's a BIG difference between what one knows and what one believes. The trick in life is being able to distinguish between the two... thumbsup.gif

Why don'tcha fill out your profile.....so we can decide if we believe what you say you know?????

At least we can put a name with Mr Armstrong.

Thanks

Whip

Interesting. Hadn't heard about the North Dakota field before.

The U.S. sits on the largest known reserves of shale oil in the world, these reserves are far greater than all of OPEC's liquid reserves. Shale has confounded the oil companies for decades, was declared economically impossible to develop by Exxon in the 1980's, but in these days of $100/barrel oil and new technologies, the major oil companies have re-established their presence in Utah and Colorado and are conducting experimental extraction on test sites, using new heat extraction methods that seem to be working out quite well.

In the meantime, there is a huge shift taking place in U.S automobile preferences. Just as in the two supply-driven oil crisis of 1973 and 1979, American car buyers are rejecting full size SUVs and trucks in favor of more economical 4 cylinder cars. While total new vehicle sales are measurably off from last year, 4 cylinder car sales are bucking this trend and have increased by double digits compared to last year.

The U.S. can do a much better job of being less energy wasteful without reducing the quality of life for the average American. The days of a single occupant driving a Hummer or a Suburban to the grocery store are coming to an end.

It is going to take a combination of additional exploration, alternative energy and conservation to get us through the next few decades intact. Rising oil prices creates financial resources and incentives for exploration and alternative energy research.

Sometimes there's a BIG difference between what one knows andwhat one believes. The trick in life is being able to distinguish between the two... thumbsup.gif

Why don'tcha fill out your profile.....so we can decide if we believe what you say you know?????

At least we can put a name with Mr Armstrong.

Thanks

Whip

I don't believe I was the one claiming to know what someone else would like to see. Should I say I believe or know something you're on your own on deciding whether or not to believe it.

Actually, I think this is already happening.

The market is absolutely driving hybrids into use - people aren't going for "smart cars" (though I actually SAW ONE on the road yesterday!!!), but they're going for the larger hybrids that are springing up everywhere. And a number of people are heading for smaller cars.

The manufacturers are producing hybrids that are

1) large, but have the similar gas mileage to a compact car - so that our US citizens will actually buy them.

2) high-performance - in fact, most of the new hybrids are The top-performing vehicle (base, luxury, hybrid).

people aren't going for "smart cars" (though I actually SAW ONE on the road yesterday!!!),
Huh? There is currently an over 14,000 backloged waiting list in the USA for the SmartCar.
russell_bynum

The market is absolutely driving hybrids into use - people aren't going for "smart cars" (though I actually SAW ONE on the road yesterday!!!), but they're going for the larger hybrids that are springing up everywhere. And a number of people are heading for smaller cars

I know quite a few people who've bought Hybrids and NONE of them can justify it from a financial perspective. For the miles that most of them put on their vehicles, and the extra cost of the hybrid cars, it just doesn't add up. (I'm not saying they're bad...just that it usually doesn't make sense from a purely financial standpoint.)

The market is absolutely driving hybrids into use - people aren't going for "smart cars" (though I actually SAW ONE on the road yesterday!!!), but they're going for the larger hybrids that are springing up everywhere. And a number of people are heading for smaller cars

I know quite a few people who've bought Hybrids and NONE of them can justify it from a financial perspective. For the miles that most of them put on their vehicles, and the extra cost of the hybrid cars, it just doesn't add up. (I'm not saying they're bad...just that it usually doesn't make sense from a purely financial standpoint.)

This is true. For most hybrids, you have to drive them 8 - 10 years before they make financial sense. But there are lots of other good reasons to own one.

How about doing something because it is the right thing to do, not just because it makes sense financially? Why does the Almighty $$$ have to be the defining factor in every (OK, not every, but most) decision(s) in our lives/society?
How about doing something because it is the right thing to do, not just because it makes sense financially? Why does the Almighty $$$ have to be the defining factor in every (OK, not every, but most) decision(s) in our lives/society?

Do you own a hybrid?

If not, why not?

+1

However what you say about people being able to "justify" their purchase can be applied much more broadly. Vehicle purchases, to a very large degree, are driven by emotion and not logic. How many people buy Jeeps and other SUV which never see much more off road than the dirt parking lot at their kid's soccer games? Why buy a 500 HP car to drive in stop-n-go rush hour traffic or the turbo-diesel dualie which never hauls much more than the family?

Of the folks I've known who have switched over to the hybrids (Prius and Civic), the reasons have been a mix between environmental, economic, and "sticking it to the oil companies". Perhaps with gas at $3 per gallon it will take a long time to justify the added cost of hybrid over conventional, but when gas pushes $4 and beyond the math will be much more favorable for hybrids. Another note - without exception the folks I know who have purchased these cars are extremely pleased with the vehicle for a large number of reason, and not just the pleasure of dumping less $$$ at the gas station.

BTW - anyone else seeing $4 per gallon for diesel? This is getting close to $1 per gallon more than gas. dopeslap.gif Anyone know why this is the case? I had always been told that diesel was cheaper to refine than gasoline. confused.gif

I had always been told that diesel was cheaper to refine than gasoline. confused.gif

Hadn't you also been told about the effect of supply and demand on pricing? It doesn't always (and sometimes doesn't ever) have anything to do with cost-to-produce.

steve.foote
BTW - anyone else seeing $4 per gallon for diesel? This is getting close to $1 per gallon more than gas. dopeslap.gif Anyone know why this is the case? I had always been told that diesel was cheaper to refine than gasoline. confused.gif

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I remember something about diesel being reformulated for the US market. If I recall correctly, diesel cars produced up to 2006 ran on the "old" diesel which contains more suflur and that those cars would have to be modified to run on the new cleaner suflur-free diesel. This is supposedly the reason there are few diesel car offerings on the US market today, but that is supposed to change this year (I think).

Most of that came two years ago from our local VW dealer so YMMV. smile.gif

The US has just switched to ultra-low sulfer diesel, following Europe. Before the switch European vehicles couldn't use the high-sulfur US fuel without modifications and I guess manufacturers didn't think the hassle was cost-effective. Now that the standards are the same we will probably be seeing a much larger selection of diesel imports.

The reason diesel fuel is more expensive than gasoline is due to demand (you should like that one Steve grin.gif)... diesel fuel is used for trucking, aircraft, military, etc., and thus isn't as sensitive to consumer cutbacks as those mostly affect gasoline prices. In addition to the commercial uses diesel fuel is also a popular passenger car fuel in the rest of the world, further increasing worldwide demand over gasoline.

Well, I made it through the week without buying any gas, Plus tomorrow is looking like i won't need to buy gas ether. I've gone 5 days and I'm sure that I've hit their wallet as the station I use just raised the price for gas..

I hope this Boycott works.

It helps that I only put 5 to 7 miles on the ol' 85 Dodge slant 6 a day.

It helps that the RT is in the hospital

It helps that my dog likes to walk ( which means I also walk)

russell_bynum

Ken...seriously. Go have Donna give you a backrub or something. You are one incredibly unhappy guy and it's just not healthy. eek.gif

Sylva said the "market" (i.e. gas prices) are driving people to by Hybrids. I just said that it doesn't make sense from that perspective. Otherwise you'd have one, right? You don't because you don't put many miles on your car and you already have a very cheap car that gets decent gas mileage and as such a new Prius would be a really stupid decision from a purely financial standpoint. I do the same thing, BTW. I've got a $300 car that gets 30mpg, so paying $25K for a Prius that only gets 40mpg wouldn't make financial sense.

Since we're on a forum full of people who buy overpriced, underperforming, impractical, dangerous modes of transportation because it makes them feel good, I thought I didn't need to explicitly state that there are reasons to make decisions other than purely financial. You've got a carbon fiber sticker on your dash, right? It makes no financial sense, it doesn't make the bike perform any better or save any starving Pygmies in New Guinea...you bought it because you like it...it makes you happy.

Seriously man...go have a drink and watch the sunset or something. eek.gif

Seriously man...go have a drink and watch the sunset or something. eek.gif

lmao.giflmao.gif

Sounds like good advice for many of us. I'm gonna go sit by the river, drink a beer or two and ride the Harley home from work...

Y'all be good. wave.gif

russell_bynum

Of the folks I've known who have switched over to the hybrids (Prius and Civic), the reasons have been a mix between environmental, economic, and "sticking it to the oil companies". Perhaps with gas at $3 per gallon it will take a long time to justify the added cost of hybrid over conventional, but when gas pushes $4 and beyond the math will be much more favorable for hybrids.

My friends who have them always say they bought them for two reasons: 1. To Save money (which they aren't) and 2. To feel like I'm making a difference.

Another note - without exception the folks I know who have purchased these cars are extremely pleased with the vehicle for a large number of reason, and not just the pleasure of dumping less $$$ at the gas station.

You know...I've noticed the same thing and it's pretty funny. They all rave about the great features like SatNav, bluetooth, and the backup camera....which, of course, you can get on non-hybrid cars. Whatever...they're happy about their purchase, and that's a good thing.

Personally...I'm not interested until the mpg figures are substantially higher and they can make one that's actually fun to drive. I don't need a zillion horsepower, but I want something that handles reasonably well.

Okay, for the 100th GD time, you've got to quit applying this to specific situations. tongue.gif
Nice, David, nice.

But yes, I have explained before that IF I needed a newer car, it WOULD be a hybrid, or ultra-efficient small car (like the SmartCar), but I don't need a new car, so I don't have one. Other than the old Toyota 'behind the shed' so to speak that I occasionally jump start to use (literally). The last time I bought a car was in 1996, when the word Hybrid hadn't even been invented yet.

russell_bynum
Okay, for the 100th GD time, you've got to quit applying this to specific situations. tongue.gif
Nice, David, nice.

But yes, I have explained before that IF I needed a newer car, it WOULD be a hybrid, or ultra-efficient small car (like the SmartCar), but I don't need a new car, so I don't have one. Other than the old Toyota 'behind the shed' so to speak that I occasionally jump start to use (literally). The last time I bought a car was in 1996, when the word Hybrid hadn't even been invented yet.

So...you don't have a hybrid because it doesn't make financial sense. You've already got a car that meets your needs and has minimal operating cost.

Of course...when I do that, I'm a greedy, no good, kill baby seals and burn their carcasses to heat my swimming pool, bastige with no regard for anyone or anything but the almighty dollar. dopeslap.gif

Of course...when I do that, I'm a greedy, no good, kill baby seals and burn their carcasses to heat my swimming pool, bastige with no regard for anyone or anything but the almighty dollar. dopeslap.gif

You should be kicked in groin, made to eat dirt and then taken out and shot!!! lmao.gif

Where's the line start, I probably need to be in it too. wave.gif

Complaining about the price of fuel seems to be an eternal activity for some. I wonder what these people would focus their anxiety on if not on the increasing price of fuel. I figure that fuel prices are generally going to go up and up and up and I accept that. I think that most people accept it inside themselves at some level but don't want to acknowledge this acceptance. They want to blame the President or one political party or another or the oil companies and not take responsibility for their own implicit part in the increase in the price of fuel. I just don't get the whole Hybrid infatuation: they are generally ugly and not that better at energy efficiency...and don't forget that the battery in these cars is just another environmental problem to be addressed in the years/generations to come. It is more of a typical "feel-good" purchase that is more like pi**ing in the ocean than having a positive effect on the environment. Financially, the hybrids are more beneficial for the automotive companies than for the individual or the environment but, whatever, these people tend to still believe that humans are the single largest contributor to alleged global warming and it is difficult to dissuade people from their irrationally held beliefs.

However, if people want to buy these cars, then so be it. I don't mind paying about 10% more for diesel fuel to put in my Golf since I get 40+mpg anyway and over 600 miles per tankful. I laugh in the face of these fuel prices knowing that all of us are going to drive just as much even when (and not if) the oil prices take gas over the $5 mark. We all adapt to gas prices just as we will adapt to any alleged global warming trend that may or may not exist.

What I don't want people to adapt to is the growning trend of accepting the term "undocumented worker" when the real reason for the lack of documentation is that they are frickin' here illegally and using services at the cost of my hard-earned and greatly taxed income.

How about that for a loose association?

I had always been told that diesel was cheaper to refine than gasoline. confused.gif

Hadn't you also been told about the effect of supply and demand on pricing? It doesn't always (and sometimes doesn't ever) have anything to do with cost-to-produce.

Sorry - let me be more specific...

Is the higher price due to:

1. Limited capacity to refine diesel? (ie. equipment limitation).

2. Limited by raw material (ie. only x percentage of a gallon of crude becomes diesel)

3. Is this a choice the refiners make - in other words are they running at 100% capacity and making a choice of which products to produce (heating oil, gasoline, diesel, etc.)

4. Is the shift primarily due to reduce supply or much increased demand?

5. Other?

The fact that diesel has moved from about $0.20 less per gallon of gas to around $0.80 above the price of gas indicates a significant shift in SOMETHING.

If the leaders of the country could set a direction for the country by investing in research for alternative energies. Instead they have chosen to let the market work on it's own which means there has been precious little research during the years when crude was cheap. If we followed this philosophy for the military we wouldn't spend invest in weapons until we were moving into a war.

As I've stated elsewhere, I don't believe hybrids will be embraced for environmental reasons. If they are a success it will be due to economic reasons. The materials used to make the batteries are a real environmental concern and the environmentalists may have a change in heart in 10+ years when we begin to see any issues due to the manufacture and disposal (recycling?) of these batteries. Fuel cells may be the way of the future but cost and other issues are keeping them out of the market.

As the price of fuel crosses $5 a gallon you will continue to see economic impacts. The RV and camper industry will undergo significant change. Scooters will become even more popular. People will think more before driving so vehicle usage will go down which will have secondary affects - reduced tire usage, etc. etc.

As the price of fuel crosses $5 a gallon...

In which direction?

What happens when oil prices start going back down? Or is it like housing prices, they just keep going up and up and up. (Laughs)

What happens when oil prices start going back down? Or is it like housing prices, they just keep going up and up and up. (Laughs)
When the price of oil drops one celebrates. The longer the drop the greater the celebration.

If you believe oil prices will drop and remain low then by all means go out and get yourself a dualie or RV as I've heard sales of these vehicles is quite soft. thumbsup.gif

Archived