IGNORED

the asinine (?) price of gasoline; let's have a 2-3 day boycott!

jwg122843

What would happen if everyone, on a specific 2-3 day period, refused to buy a drop of the stuff? Maybe even a week; I would go seven days, to make a point! Oil companies are making sinful levels of profits and politicians who are bought and paid for by the oil companies, refuse to help the consumers who are getting pounded.

What would happen if everyone, on a specific 2-3 day period, refused to buy a drop of the stuff? Maybe even a week; I would go seven days, to make a point! Oil companies are making sinful levels of profits and politicians who are bought and paid for by the oil companies, refuse to help the consumers who are getting pounded.

troll-web.jpg

Great idea! Let's do it!!

Oh wait, my tank is empty and I need to get to work. How about the rest of you guys do it, I'm sure that will have the same effect.

Does it count if I steal or siphon it, or only if I buy it or don't buy it? I mean because if I steal it then I'm not buying it, so "they" aren't getting my money, right? Unless I leave money, but then am I really stealing it? Gosh you Arkansans sure can confuse!

Does it count if I steal or siphon it, or only if I buy it or don't buy it? I mean because if I steal it then I'm not buying it, so "they" aren't getting my money, right? Unless I leave money, but then am I really stealing it? Gosh you Arkansans sure can confuse!
Obviously stealing it but leaving money would be the best choice. That way no one is hurt yet you aren't buying gas from 'them.'
An asinine theory about the price of gasoline: let's have a 2-3 day boycott!

Fixed.

What would you expect to happen when everyone returns to their normal pattern of consumption after the boycott?

steve.foote

Next week is no good for me. The week after might work, unless I have to...hmmm, no, the week after isn't good either.

Calvin  (no socks)

Steve, I haven't purchased any in about 4 weeks.......I win!

(I drive other peoples vehicles to verify problems and burn their gas)... If extra fuel is required, I send someone out in the vehicle of the day to gas it up...

does that count?

I agree not to buy a "drop of it".

Seriously.

May need a gallon or two. lurker.gif

Lets see, Today I finished mowing the lawn, motorcycle is in for driveshift repair, workvan is on Full...... hmmmmmmmmm Ok tomarrow and Tuesday will work for me.

If you seriously think a boycott would work, read this: http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/nogas.asp

More Hype from the gov.and oil companies. I owned a gas station for 25 years. They lie they cheat, they steal. What ever it takes they do it. Did you know right now a station owner is paying 9+ cents per gallon (the station gets charged 3% of the sale)if you use a credit card. Guess who processes the cards. Obviously in todays marketplace people use more credit cards then cash, it runs about 80%-20%. The other side of the equation most consumers are never told is that some states charge a gross earning tax (ct was .0255)on the price of gas at the terminal. So as the price increases the dollar amount is higher. So add that to the 25-35 cent state tax, then add the 18 cents to federal government. Bottom line = lying, cheating, bunch of thieves.

Compaired to many other parts of the world it's still a bargin in the USA. Spend your efforts instead in trying to figure out how you can use less would be more effective.

HairyCannonball
Compaired to many other parts of the world it's still a bargin in the USA. Spend your efforts instead in trying to figure out how you can use less would be more effective.

Absolutely thumbsup.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

Boycott over fuel prices?? Here???

You bitch about $3.50/gallon to fill up your car/bike and then happily pay a buck plus tax for a half liter bottle of water inside at the convenience mart. To save you the math, that's $7.57 a gallon, before tax!!!! The colored/flavored stuff is even more expensive as is that Coke. We won't even talk about coffee.

dopeslap.gif

What would happen if everyone, on a specific 2-3 day period, refused to buy a drop of the stuff?
NOTHING would happen other than giving a few anti-corporatists some warm, fuzzy feelings as they deceive themselves in thinking that boycotting will make (or should make) a difference.

Oil companies are making sinful levels of profits
So what is your solution--government intervention so as to put a cap on how much a company can profit from it product? That solution just brings about bigger problems.

As has been said in an earlier post, European countries pay lots more for fuel than Americans do. I can't wait to hear the whining from Americans when the USA has fuel prices that compare to the UK and elsewhere.

Good luck on your boycott!! Try buying an electric car or walking or carpooling...that might be more effective. Or, drive a diesel car (like mine) that gets 40+ mpg (although I have to pay 10% more for diesel---now, there is a conspiracy tale that I could talk about......)

ShovelStrokeEd

Has anyone information on what percentage of the profits of one of the major oil companies comes from motor fuels as opposed to the rest of the spectrum of stuff that is made from oil? Got any plastic around you? Colored clothing or cloth anything? Permanent press something? The case on your computer? Your phone? How about the bottle your 7.57/gal water comes in? All that stuff came out of the same barrel.

RichEdwards

Folks with motorcycles have the option of selling the bike and saving the gas money. Most of us won't do that. My sympathy goes to the independent trucker who is trying to make a living and paying over $4 per gallon for diesel. tongue.gif

Rich Edwards said My sympathy goes to the independent trucker who is trying to make a living and paying over $4 per gallon for diesel.

I think I read somewhere recently that those truckers (and especially those in the fleets) are driving slower to conserve fuel. The slower speeds are causing "problems" for the troopers that would normally be pulling them over for exceeding the speed limit tongue.gif

------------------

Chris (aka Tender Vittles )

Little '77 KZ400 in the Big Apple

Black '99 RT for Everywhere Else, such as ...

310287-mar2004.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday
Folks with motorcycles have the option of selling the bike and saving the gas money. Most of us won't do that. My sympathy goes to the independent trucker who is trying to make a living and paying over $4 per gallon for diesel. tongue.gif

Why do high fuel prices make it harder on the indie trucker than on the fleet trucker? Aren't they both experiencing the same fuel costs, and therefore in a similar position to compete in the transport marketplace (especially if the cost of goods is increasing, as it seems to be, due to transport costs)?

Francois_Dumas
Rich Edwards said My sympathy goes to the independent trucker who is trying to make a living and paying over $4 per gallon for diesel.

I think I read somewhere recently that those truckers (and especially those in the fleets) are driving slower to conserve fuel. The slower speeds are causing "problems" for the troopers that would normally be pulling them over for exceeding the speed limit tongue.gif

Not a trucker, but having to pay for my own gas these days, I do that too. we put the car on cruise control for the 900 mile drive to our place in France and try and get 11.8 liters/100 km of the $8 / gallon stuff, driving only some 115 km/hour now (as opposed to doing over 200 km/hr a decade ago when racing through Germany.).

It is no 'fun' anymore, that's for sure...... eek.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday
We won't even talk about coffee.

dopeslap.gif

You can have my coffee when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

steve.foote

dopeslap.gif

You can have my coffee when you pry it from my cold dead lips.

Fixed.

Since about 9:00 a.m. truckers have been circling around the block blasting their air horns (my office is a block from the state capitol here in Harrisburg) I assume as a form of fuel price protest. It's now going on two hours. I'm not certain what good it's going to do? Demand is outstripping supply for diesel. I drive a diesel car and my motive is to consume less fossil fuel. Price is less a concern for me. tongue.gif

Our problem is we American's have become intoxicated on V8 engines, full size pickup trucks, SUV's and single occupant commuting. Until Americans give up our addiction to excessive, per capita oil consumption, the oil companies will happily supply our nasty street corner habit. Bring on $5 or $6 gallon gas, it may cause America to discover a new mode of transportation..walking.

I'd love to own and drive one of Europe's small micro-diesel cars. With the climbing price of gas, I see that happening.

The weak dollar and global oil trading in the dollar isn't helping either. Boycotting efforts is a waste of time.

Francois_Dumas

Yes, only POSITIVE action will achieve anything. Negative action will only provoke reactions, in a downward spiral.

Bring on $5 or $6 gallon gas, it may cause America to discover a new mode of transportation..walking.

Boycotting efforts is a waste of time.

I agree. My belief is that most, though certainly not all, of the factors contributing to the cost of oil are outside our ability to control, as a nation.

Boycotts have absolutely no effect. If anyone really hopes to have an impact on the cost of fuel, it can only be accomplished through a widespread change in consumption patterns. I don't know if we'll ever catch up with the costs in Europe, but I do foresee us edging toward that point where Americans will start making the same decisions that they have for years, primarily to cut down on the size (and fuel consumption) of the vehicles we use on a day-to-day basis.

I've never really bought into the notion that the Europeans were any more environmentally conscious than Americans. Ultimately , the decision to conserve is driven by economics.

Bring on $5 or $6 gallon gas
Hate to say it but that would probably be a good thing in the long run. One can argue whether the real problems are waiting 10 years or 50 years ahead but it seems pretty clear that our current economic dependance on foreign oil is not indefinitely sustainable. It seems better to endure some pain now that leads to lasting change than to risk an almost certain and monumental shock sometime in the future.
steve.foote

I find it interesting that the majority view on this issue is to conserve rather than increase production.

Besides, I thought this was all supposed to have been taken care of, like we were promised.

Joe Frickin' Friday
I find it interesting that the majority view on this issue is to conserve rather than increase production.

Two knobs on the control panel, "demand" and "supply." As consumers, we can't reach the "supply" knob; all we can do directly is dial back our demand.

Indirectly, we can hope that the free market will encourage folks to jack up production in response to the high prices, but unless one is a venture capitalist with a lot of money to invest upfront in oil exploration/drilling, I don't think one can directly influence the supply.

If simply increasing production offered a viable way out then one would think that would take care of itself via market forces.

Given the exploding demand for oil, the limited supply, and the attendant environmental issues it seems that conservation is the more practical approach, at least until some alternative energy sources are developed to supplement/replace fossil fuels.

Aw geez, here we go again... and you complain about the repetitiveness of gun threads? grin.gif

Rather than snipping out a few words of one post, maybe we should try focusing on any of the other issues surrounding 'increasing production' as a solution. If we can simply produce our way out of the problem, why aren't we?

It's nice to see a voice of reason occasionally. This asinine suggestion to lower the price of gasoline by boycotting purchases for a day pops up once a year or so.

A friend was in Canada (the largest supplier to the USA) recently and said he was paying $2.40 per LITER for gas. The last time I looked, people in Norway (#3 exporter, after Saudi Arabia and Russia) were paying about the same price.

Stop whining. If we really want to reduce our dependence on imported oil, raise the price, via taxes, to a level comparable to what most of the rest of the world pays. It might even help reduce the rate of growth of the federal deficit.

The most convincing, best documented information I have seen on how we got into this mess comes from energy industry investment banker Matthew Simmons: http://www.simmonsco-intl.com/research.aspx?Type=msspeeches

Bring on $5 or $6 gallon gas
Hate to say it but that would probably be a good thing in the long run. One can argue whether the real problems are waiting 10 years or 50 years ahead but it seems pretty clear that our current economic dependance on foreign oil is not indefinitely sustainable. It seems better to endure some pain now that leads to lasting change than to risk an almost certain and monumental shock sometime in the future.

As you've pointed out in other posts - it's all about supply and demand. No simple solution other than to less.

$5 to $6 gas is very easy to do - simply add on a tax to pay for that war in Iraq and/or build a real mass transit system to reduce our oil consumption. Americans always seem to be in awe of the mass transit systems of Europe, Japan and other places - yet these same people howl as fuel costs rise.

Sorry folks, there's no free lunch here - either put up the bucks and pay for a mass transit system or keep burnin' the gas in your SUV's and pick-up's. Your choice! thumbsup.gif

Oops my bad - the other choice would be to spend the money now and let our kids and their kids pay for it later! tongue.gif

steve.foote
Aw geez, here we go again... and you complain about the repetitiveness of gun threads? grin.gif

Rather than snipping out a few words of one post, maybe we should try focusing on any of the other issues surrounding 'increasing production' as a solution. If we can simply produce our way out of the problem, why aren't we?

Sure, go ahead and change the channel. tongue.gif

Well I think we all have the environmental concerns are a plot for global domination by the enviro-leftists thing pretty much established, so no need to go there.

So, on channel 2... if we can simply produce our way out of the problem, why aren't we?

steve.foote

Seth, I didn't mean to get you all riled up, but when someone tells me that switching from Folders to Maxwell House will cure high gas prices, and then it doesn't, well, I might just want my Folders back. wink.gif

As for channel 2, try using that arguement on your wife when it's time to shop for diamonds. tongue.gif

DavidEBSmith

Why do high fuel prices make it harder on the indie trucker than on the fleet trucker?

Nobody has answered this, and my knowledge of the trucking industry comes from listening to XM 171, but I believe the company truckers can get fuel from truck company depots or locations where the company has a fleet discount, or charge it to the company, but the independent truckers pay for fuel themselves so it comes out of their profit margin.

Or maybe this is the problem.

Believe me I couldn't be any less riled, just wondering if you were going to seriously address the question. Having received my answer I'll cease asking.

steve.foote
Believe me I couldn't be any less riled, just wondering if you were going to seriously address the question. Having received my answer I'll cease asking.

That sounds like a pretty good strategy.

Lone_RT_rider

dopeslap.gif

You can have my coffee when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

It doesn't take a gallon of coffee to get me to work every day....close, but not quite a gallon. grin.giflmao.gif

Shawn

Archived