IGNORED

Riding with earplugs

zbassman

Joe Frickin' Friday
How is wind or whatever going to effect my ears when my head is wrapped in a huge Nolan lid?
It varies widely based on helmet design, but many helmets generate more noise at your ears than would be present with no helmet at all. This is especially true on bikes with fairings that disrupt airflow and don't let the helmets work in the way (with respect to noise reduction) that their designers intended. In any event one cannot count on a helmet alone for any meaningful hearing protection.

True dat. Not only do helmets generate some noise, but they transmit more than you'd think from the outer surface to the inner surface.

Your looking at around 130 decibels just from the wind.

I've been wearing earplugs since the 80's. No infection yet. You sound like a bunch of old ladies! lmao.gif Actually like a bunch of ladies, period.

What you will find wearing earplugs:

Alot less fatigue.

Preservation of your hearing.

That crap music the guy is playing next to you is alot less annoying.

Keeps your ears clean.

You don't hear the person on your pillion seat barking orders at you.

Oh, and your ride is sooo much mellower.

Yes you can still hear that cage barking at you and the ambulance coming. "Where, where is it!!!"

Wearing earplugs is a no brainer. Just do it!!

By the way that remindes me.

These two old guys were talking one day.

"Hey I got a new hearing aid the other day. Best hearing aid I ever had. $1500".

Other guy: "Oh really, what kind is it?"

1st guy: "Half past four"! lmao.giflmao.gif

There are a lot of db numbers being thrown around, but I can't imagine a stock exhaust, faired bike is hitting anywhere near 130 db. A chainsaw is 100db. Decibel levels are logorithmic. They go up 10 times for each 10 db increase.

130 is incredibly high, and I'll bet anything that my RT at 70 mph is not close to 130 db, or even 120 db which again is 10 times lower than 130db. Sources I've seen show that a pneumatic riveter at 4 feet is less than 130db.

A University of Florida study tested random bikes and the loudest non-stock open pipe bike was 119db "with the engine revved". Anyone who has sat next to an open exhaust bike has to know that this is way louder than anything you get on the highway.

There are a lot of db numbers being thrown around, but I can't imagine a stock exhaust, faired bike is hitting anywhere near 130 db. A chainsaw is 100db. Decibel levels are logorithmic. They go up 10 times for each 10 db increase.

130 is incredibly high, and I'll bet anything that my RT at 70 mph is not close to 130 db, or even 120 db which again is 10 times lower than 130db. Sources I've seen show that a pneumatic riveter at 4 feet is less than 130db.

A University of Florida study tested random bikes and the loudest non-stock open pipe bike was 119db "with the engine revved". Anyone who has sat next to an open exhaust bike has to know that this is way louder than anything you get on the highway.

You miss the point. The noise does not come from the bike, even if it has obnoxiosly loud pipes. The noise comes from the wind turbulence around the base of the helmet and the sheild opening. The shape of the helmet acts as an accoustic amplifier. It is easy to get very high souund leels in close proximity of your ears from this - though I grant 130 seems high. I have however, seen measured values of 110dB on a sportsbike at 80mph, though I have lost my link to that source. The helmet can't protect your ears from the noise it generates.

Andy

ShovelStrokeEd

Vinnie,

Sounds like you have convinced yourself you don't need some form of noise reduction.

Sorry, buddy, you are wrong. As Mitch pointed out, anything over 85db can start to produce hearing loss. There is a time factor here. You don't need enough noise to make your ears bleed to damage your hearing. 90db for 8 hours will do the job nicely. 100-110db is about average for the noise, at the ear, produced by a helmet in a turbulent air flow. Less in smooth air but, that greatly depends on helmet design. Vents and the face shield to helmet interface are the biggest sources. Flip front helmets provide and additional noise source as do those that use a shield mechanism with covers over the hinges.

It ain't the bike producing the noise, it is air flow over the helmet. There are other sources as well. Wind coming off your shoulders and up under the helmet can produce a very loud thrumming noise. More of a problem on upright seating position bikes but, the RT fits right in there for that.

About the only time I've known any helmet to be reasonably quiet (defined as not deafening) is when used on an unfaired bike so the helmet is in a clear windstream. Anything that disrupts clean airflow also disrupts all the noise reduction engineering that went into the helmet design and they then often become quite noisy. Bikes with sport fairings (including the RT) are usually the worst in this regard. I frankly don't understand how anyone could ride most sport or sport-touring bikes at high speeds without hearing protection. Even putting long-term hearing damage aside, it's just freakin' painful...

ShovelStrokeEd

I fully agree.

My RF1000, a moderately quiet helmet, gets pretty loud at speed on my Blackbird which has a riding position on par with a K12RS. Actually, I'm a little higher on the BB when compared to the KRS. Now this is one of the most aerodynamically smooth motorcycles in the world. The Japanese paid so much attention to aerodynamic details they redesigned the front brake lever cause the aero forces were applying the front brake at speed. Now, speed on this thing is over 175 mph but I'm not talking about that, I'm talking freeway speeds, 80-85 mph with the rider sitting up, not in a racing tuck. I can tuck in behind the screen and it gets really quiet but, at my age, I ain't doin' that for very long.

Thankfully, my ER6i's make the noise a non-issue. grin.gif

Vinnie,

Sounds like you have convinced yourself you don't need some form of noise reduction.

Sorry, buddy, you are wrong. As Mitch pointed out, anything over 85db can start to produce hearing loss. There is a time factor here. You don't need enough noise to make your ears bleed to damage your hearing. 90db for 8 hours will do the job nicely. 100-110db is about average for the noise, at the ear, produced by a helmet in a turbulent air flow. Less in smooth air but, that greatly depends on helmet design. Vents and the face shield to helmet interface are the biggest sources. Flip front helmets provide and additional noise source as do those that use a shield mechanism with covers over the hinges.

It ain't the bike producing the noise, it is air flow over the helmet. There are other sources as well. Wind coming off your shoulders and up under the helmet can produce a very loud thrumming noise. More of a problem on upright seating position bikes but, the RT fits right in there for that.

I hope I'm not just trying to convince myself, and I know it's the airflow not the bike, but I can see your point. As stated earlier, like the original poster I played bass in some very loud bands for years. Many of my friends have suffered pretty severe hearing loss, so over the years I spent a lot of time looking at real research on this subject.

Subjective or not, I'm saying the wind noise at my helmet with my fairing adjusted is not 110db. To back this, there is the fact that there is no evidence, via real hearing tests, that I have lost any perceptible amount of hearing from over well over 100K miles on bikes (all faired) 90% of which is without earplugs.

Nobody here has proved anything one way or the other. I can counter that "many of you are just convincing yourselves that you require ear plugs", but I won't until someone shows some real proof. Maybe you get a lot more wind noise from your windscreens. Maybe you adjust them differently. Maybe you're wrong. I don't know. I'd like to see a real test on a bike similar to mine ('96 RT w/ Aeroflow windscreen) where you're seeing 110db at 70 mph. It's tough to find a link to a real test on a quiet faired bike like an RT.

I don't think anyone who wears earplugs is in the wrong. It's safe insurance.

The bottom line of my argument is that there are a lot of variables in this. Speaking only from my experience, both subjectively (the amount of sound I hear while riding) and objectively (a pretty good understanding of db levels, and hearing tests over the years) in my case, and my case only, I have not needed nor do I see a need for ear plugs. If that's "convincing myself" fine.

Vinnie,

I hope I'm not just trying to convince myself, and I know it's the airflow not the bike, but I can see your point. As stated earlier, like the original poster I played bass in some very loud bands for years. Many of my friends have suffered pretty severe hearing loss, so over the years I spent a lot of time looking at real research on this subject.

Subjective or not, I'm saying the wind noise at my helmet with my fairing adjusted is not 110db. To back this, there is the fact that there is no evidence, via real hearing tests, that I have lost any perceptible amount of hearing from over well over 100K miles on bikes (all faired) 90% of which is without earplugs.

Nobody here has proved anything one way or the other. I can counter that "many of you are just convincing yourselves that you require ear plugs", but I won't until someone shows some real proof. Maybe you get a lot more wind noise from your windscreens. Maybe you adjust them differently. Maybe you're wrong. I don't know. I'd like to see a real test on a bike similar to mine ('96 RT w/ Aeroflow windscreen) where you're seeing 110db at 70 mph. It's tough to find a link to a real test on a quiet faired bike like an RT.

The bottom line of my argument is that there are a lot of variables in this. Speaking only from my experience, both subjectively (the amount of sound I hear while riding) and objectively (a pretty good understanding of db levels, and hearing tests over the years) in my case, and my case only, I have not needed nor do I see a need for ear plugs. If that's "convincing myself" fine.

As you wish.

Overview, also cites studies.

http://www.freehearingtest.com/hia_motorcyclefacts.shtml

Windscreen position does have some effect.

mcyclkph.gif

Here is one study.

http://www.isvr.co.uk/at_work/m_cycle.htm

"Wind tunnel tests with a flying helmet containing active noise reduction earmuffs demonstrated that noise levels as low as 70 dB(A) at 80 km/h and 80 dB(A) at 115 km/h were achievable at the ear."

http://www.isvr.co.uk/reprints/mcyclesioa.pdf

I completely understand what you are saying, I too would like to see some more detailed testing. There are so many variables and I guess what most people are saying is that you should use earplugs because there are so many situations on a bike where the wind noise is far to loud. I for one have great discomfort using ear plugs due to skin irritation. I know on my 1200RT with the stock screen all the way up and me ducking a little so I just look over the screen with with my face shield open it is very quiet, whether it's quiet enough I don't know. If I put my face shield down the noise is quite bad. With the Cal Sci windshield it is much better than the stock windshield with my face shield down but still better with my face shield up, but then I get to much wind in my eyes. It sure would be nice to be able to try out all the different windshield and also test the db levels when using the different shields. Because I have such a strong magnification on my glasses I find looking through a plastic face shield very uncomfortable. Fine in the rain but sure ruins the scenery on a nice day.

ShovelStrokeEd

Vinnie,

Your choice is, of course, your own to make.

Tim's data posted just below your reply might shed some more light for you. Keep in mind that even the very low data shown for the RT with the windscreen in the up position is still above the threshold for 8 hours of exposure.

'Nother thing, it may be that your history is not showing any change cause you have already sustained damage to your hearing well beyond that which an unprotected ear will get from helmet wind noise. So, you don't notice any particular noise.

The whole issue is pretty complex as to which frequencies are damaging and which frequencies are lost. I admit to running without hearing protection on my 4.4 mile ride to and from work. I rarely get over 50 mph so it pretty much isn't an issue. On longer rides and higher speeds, I'd sooner leave my radar detector at home than not don my hearing protectors.

Vinnie,

Your choice is, of course, your own to make.

Tim's data posted just below your reply might shed some more light for you. Keep in mind that even the very low data shown for the RT with the windscreen in the up position is still above the threshold for 8 hours of exposure.

'Nother thing, it may be that your history is not showing any change cause you have already sustained damage to your hearing well beyond that which an unprotected ear will get from helmet wind noise. So, you don't notice any particular noise....

Tim's data is exactly the kind of stuff that needs to be on a thread like this. Thanks Tim. Shovel, you have a valid point about prior hearing loss. My hearing tests out pretty well, so that's probably not an issue. In my playing days, I always wore plugs during loud gigs and practices.

I guess what got me worked up was all the talk about 110, 120, 130 etc. db levels on a faired BMW. Looking at Tim's data, if the original discussions centered around 87db with fairing up at 70 mph, and 97db or so with the fairing down, I simply would have said "that sounds pretty close to what I think I'm hearing", and that would have been it. People can make their own choice around this set of data. I think getting in the safe zone of hearing could easily be within a margin of error, different equipment, and fairing settings on different bikes. Maybe I'm kidding myself, I don't know, and neither does anyone else until tested on my bike. Even when touring my wife and I are never on the bike for 8 hours, so very long duration effects are somewhat limited.

So, I'll continue to go against the grain and not wear earplugs, and continue to get my hearing tested to insure that I'm doing the right thing for me. For anyone else, I think wearing plugs is again good insurance with no downside if you like them.

Anyone else find earplugs sort of weird?

At first, yes they were strange but after a little time they turned into a wonderful addition. I wouldn't even try using them while riding my 996 because of the distraction but even that went away with a little time in the saddle.

Now, it's just a very nice background noise until my radar unit starts going off. thumbsup.gif

I always ride with custom molded earplugs. I now ride in near total silence. Kinda ironic when you go to a hearing aid store and ask for help to become deaf.

I have custom plugs (EarMold) with speakers built in. I never have the iPod attached on short journeys or if I'm in the city, but on long trips I have surround sound, no wind noise just gentle music.

Without them, my ears "drum" for at least 24 hours and feel sore, right inside.

I have a BMW systems helmet (very quiet) a Cee Baily +2 Eurocut screen so the noise levels never feel "extreme" without the plugs but the difference in the way I feel after a very long run with the plugs in is amazing.

Linz

Well, I'm not going to argue with you resident hearing experts, I'm no ear doctor.

Disclaimer// The Tee is no ear doctor //End of Disclaimer

Well my wife is an ear surgeon and she happens to be sitting here as I write this. She says hearing loss is a function of both duration and intensity. You can lose hearing by prolonged exposure to somewhat elevated noise levels (e.g. riding your motorcycle without earplugs). And/or you can lose hearing by shorter term exposure to very high levels of noise (e.g. rock music, artillery, etc...)

When you are exposed to elevated noise for a prolonged period of time you hardly notice that your hearing is slowing diminishing. You are more likely to think that your spouse is developing a habit of mumbling when he/she talks to you. tongue.gif

Oh, and she just rolled her eyes when I mentioned your concern about ear infections when wearing earplugs.

Well, I'm not going to argue with you resident hearing experts, I'm no ear doctor.

Disclaimer// The Tee is no ear doctor //End of Disclaimer

Well my wife is an ear surgeon and she happens to be sitting here as I write this. She says hearing loss is a function of both duration and intensity. You can lose hearing by prolonged exposure to somewhat elevated noise levels (e.g. riding your motorcycle without earplugs). And/or you can lose hearing by shorter term exposure to very high levels of noise (e.g. rock music, artillery, etc...)

When you are exposed to elevated noise for a prolonged period of time you hardly notice that your hearing is slowing diminishing. You are more likely to think that your spouse is developing a habit of mumbling when he/she talks to you. tongue.gif

Oh, and she just rolled her eyes when I mentioned your concern about ear infections when wearing earplugs.

Well, see here's the thing - I used to wear earplugs a lot when I was in the military, and I still wear them if I'm out on the range or using power tools (yes, I understand gunfire and loud noises can cause hearing loss) but if I wore them too long, my ears just hurt and I've actually had a couple of ear infections as well. It didn't matter if they were the foam type, or the molded silicone type (which, worked a whole lot better in terms of noise reduction.) I could wear them for a couple hours and be fine, but more than that I would start to notice problems.

I've never really noticed any of the problems with fatigue after riding that people speak of on this topic. And the RT is comparatively quite to what I normally ride.

That said, I got a pair to wear while riding, and I'm trying them out.

You might try switching to the over the ear style for power tools and such what. Some of them even come with a built in radio -- just don't crank up volume or you'll defeat the purpose of the earmuffs! dopeslap.gif

Well, see here's the thing - I used to wear earplugs a lot when I was in the military, and I still wear them if I'm out on the range or using power tools (yes, I understand gunfire and loud noises can cause hearing loss) but if I wore them too long, my ears just hurt and I've actually had a couple of ear infections as well. It didn't matter if they were the foam type, or the molded silicone type (which, worked a whole lot better in terms of noise reduction.) I could wear them for a couple hours and be fine, but more than that I would start to notice problems.

I've never really noticed any of the problems with fatigue after riding that people speak of on this topic. And the RT is comparatively quite to what I normally ride.

Let's see; handling guns out on the range, and using power tools. What do you suppose are the chances your hands were dirty when you were shoving the earplugs in your ear canal? And what do you do with your earplugs between wearings? Ever wash 'em? Your ear canals are a damp dark place. Just the kind of place bacteria like to grow when you shove dirt into them.

If you are looking for excuses to not use earplugs, I suggest you just don't wear them. If you want to keep your hearing intact, get a set of custom made earplugs. Look in the yellow pages under "audiologists", or "hearing aids". Then spring for the $75 or so to get a pair of vented plugs. And then keep 'em clean. Your ears will thank you. And your family will enjoy not having to yell at you at the dinner table so you can participate in the conversation.

Let's see; handling guns out on the range, and using power tools. What do you suppose are the chances your hands were dirty when you were shoving the earplugs in your ear canal? And what do you do with your earplugs between wearings? Ever wash 'em? Your ear canals are a damp dark place. Just the kind of place bacteria like to grow when you shove dirt into them.

If you are looking for excuses to not use earplugs, I suggest you just don't wear them. If you want to keep your hearing intact, get a set of custom made earplugs. Look in the yellow pages under "audiologists", or "hearing aids". Then spring for the $75 or so to get a pair of vented plugs. And then keep 'em clean. Your ears will thank you. And your family will enjoy not having to yell at you at the dinner table so you can participate in the conversation.

Ease up on the brother! On the contrary, I'm looking for reasons TO wear them. I've always equated hearing loss from riding motorcycles to another "causes cancer in laboratory mice" hysteria, but this has been an interesting and informative discussion, and it's got the Tee thinking.

Geeze. Just re-read my post and it sounds a little harsh. Sorry about that Mister Tee. Must be too much fibre in my diet. tongue.gif

Happy to know that you are going for the plugs. thumbsup.gif

After having a bad experience with a loud rental, I will always use ear plugs on loud motorcycles.
Good deal. But the point a lot of us are trying to make is that we should use earplugs on all motorcycles. thumbsup.gif

Earmold (Earinc) plugs with stereo wires are the only way to go.

Get them custom made to fit your ears.

They cut out all the wind noise but still allow you to hear the other traffic noise as well as your bike.

999419-Earmold.jpg

999419-Earmold.jpg.45ed4bb37942f3ce0025bcd9a5255bd7.jpg

""The other weird thing was more mental. Without the extra stimuli of the wind rushing past my ears I noticed extraneous thoughts intruded a bit more...I lost a bit of that zen medition aspect.""

Exactly bro...except the loss of zen.

Someone here (Grouch?) said "there's nothing four tankfulls can't cure." To cagers that 1,000 miles on a bike might seem like torture. But to those who relish the idea of 15 hours alone with themselves in a helmet, it's pretty close to godhead. The ONLY thing better is 15 hours alone in a helemet WITH EARPLUGS. Man do you get intimate with your inners quickly that way. Earplugs are like accelerants.

Bring on them extraneous thoughts!

[quote

Bring on them extraneous thoughts!

Unfortunately, most of my extraneous thoughts consist of different body parts checking in to complain. My knees hurting, my hands going numb, my back and shoulders knotting up, my peanut bladder, and, of course, my nose itching. Even trying to listen and/or sing along with the earbuds, I still have to stop every hour or so. I walk around taking inventory of all the parts and when I get a consensis vote, we get back on and continue. wink.gif

I do think the earbuds extend my ride time by cutting out the debillitating wind noise and quelling the voices of all those complaining parts.

I didn't realize how much I depended on sound in my riding. It really threw me off my game for awhile. I found myself going in to curves too hot and generally going faster than I usually do. I also noticed I tended to let the RPMs creep up higher before shifting.

The other weird thing was more mental. Without the extra stimuli of the wind rushing past my ears I noticed extraneous thoughts intruded a bit more. Usually riding lets me really forget everything and just be in the moment. But somehow without the sounds associated with riding I lost a bit of that zen medition aspect.

Like any other change in one's environment, it takes some getting used to. I've ridden with earplugs, whether "foamies" or AZ Al's speaker plugs, for as long as I can remember. Even riding dirt bikes in Baja many years back, I would use foamies.

There have been a few occassions (just riding down to the gas station 2 miles away to top off, for example) when I've tossed my helmet on without earplugs. I can't believe the distractions to my riding. I can't concentrate.

With earplugs, I still hear the things I need to hear for my safety (horns, sirens, even the hum of a car tire next to me), but at much more subdued levels. Perhaps I've learned to process them more subliminally. I don't know. I do know they're there and where I am in relation to each potential threat. They're just not LOUD.

I spent 45 minutes in a sensory deprivation tank once. The silence was deafening at first. By the end I could hear my eyelashes flutter as well as the breaking of the fluid bond between my upper and lower eyelids when I opened them. When I got out I couldn't stand the noise in an empty room for the first 15 minutes. Eventually, the world sounded fine. I guess a lot has to do with what you become accustomed to.

I have occasionally used soft plugs but today I connected my Phone to the Zumo a Jabra Stereo Bluetooth to a Motorola S710 and my quiet in ear headphones. It was a choir to ride in quietness but I am a little concenrned about what I do not hear. Engine problems are vibrations so that is ok, but cars do sneak up on you etc, one can get scared.

Ohterwise it is a no brainer that it is not good for you to ride without protecting your ears, like so many other things, smoking, drinking and I can go on. WE make our choices and a slong as they are informed it is great.

h grin.gif

Interesting discussion...

My experience has been different depending on the bike I rode. My Roadstar Warrior was quiet with a full helmet and no windshield. Once I went to the half-shield, it got noisier, but not annoyingly so. In summer I went to a half-helmet for rides along the beach, and anything over 30 mph and the wind noise was painful enough I couldnt ride without 32db earplugs. I believe that was a function of the straps on the half-helmet though.

My SV1000S was loud enough in a full helmet that I wore earplugs on any long ride days, but not bad for jsut 20-30 mins at a time. But I probably should have been wearing earplugs to prevetn any potential damage even on those shorter commutes.

My R1200ST, on the other hand, is fine around town, but VERY loud at freeway speeds. There is no perfect position for the windshield, and riding without earplugs is uncomfortable for anything longer than and exit or two. IF I want some music on the way in to work, sometimes I'll hook up the iphone to some ER-6's, and that cuts the noise quite well for the SoCal freeway commute.

JT

I always rode with earplugs on the road, but I always had naked bikes.

Then, when I got a "real" road bike (my 1100RT) AND after I bought and installed an Aeroflow windscreen, I found that I could "tune" the electric windscreen to a position which nearly eliminates the broadband wind noise at any speed. I could actually talk to and hear a passenger at highway speeds.

I still wear earplugs when on my naked Triumph, but haven't used them on the RT since I bought the AF screen.

But I probably should have been wearing earplugs to prevetn any potential damage even on those shorter commutes.
Damage is cumulative, and the ear basically does not recover. There is no good rationale for riding short distances without protection. So say my audiologist and otolaryngologist.
But I probably should have been wearing earplugs to prevetn any potential damage even on those shorter commutes.
Damage is cumulative, and the ear basically does not recover. There is no good rationale for riding short distances without protection. So say my audiologist and otolaryngologist.

Oh yes, I agree... OTOH, we humans tend to make decisions about potentially hazardous activities on a marginal utility basis. The momentary inconvienence of finding and busting out antoher pair of foamies along with their small discomfort is more easily outweighed by the discomfort of a lengthy freeway commute than a short trip to my buddy's house.

Maybe not rational, but very human...

JT

I use the cheap foam ear plugs. For me they work quite well. I used them for years around the F-16's on the air base and I still use them for motorcycling, mowing, running the chain saw, and if I go with my son to see a rock band. Use a set for a while then throw it out and use another set. If you lose them you are not out $$$ for a custom fitted pair.

• 2 weeks later...

As a "re=entry" rider a I quickly started trying different ear protection. Foam plugs are great but made my ears itch. When I added the Zumo I invested in Etymotic ER6i earphones. They are very comfortable and quiet. No itchy. Turning up music definately can be a safety issue. No different than a high end vehicle with a 9 speaker sound system except a biker is slightly more exposed. crazy.gif

• 2 weeks later...

heheh! yeah, we are more expopsed, however, I have to admit that with the ER6i's the music is so clear and the isolation so good that I really don't have to turn up music much at all, saving my hearing and my environmental awareness. They are truly excellent headphones (even though they are stupidly expensive, IMHO)

JT

• 4 weeks later...

FYI - follow up. Got two of my boyz to start riding with earplugs as well. "Thanks, I didn't realize what I've been missing all this time!"

Recently, I stumbled on a web site that sells the same 2-part silicone gel that is used for custom molded earplugs: http://www.podfitkit.com/

I confirmed with the guy who sells the stuff that, although his product is aimed at users of earbuds, the gel is the same. I just made my first pair, and can confirm that they are extremely comfortable.

It does look interesting. Wonder how it would work with in-ear speakers like the etonics. I wouldn't mind loosing more wind-noise.

I had a set of custom plugs made at the bike show this year and I like them. I always had a hard time getting ear plugs properly inserted, I must have a weird ear canal. Anyway, my question is: Does anyone have any problems getting their helmet off while wearing your ear plugs? I can get my full face helmet on fine while wearing the plugs, and they're comfortable while wearing my helmet, but man it feels like I'm ripping my ears off when I try to remove my helmet. ooo.gif

I try to pull the cheek pads apart just like when I'm putting the helmet on but it is still very painful to get my helmet off. The right side was worse and I have trimmed that plug a bit but I don't think I can trim much more.

Any ideas? or hints? Thanks.

Archived