IGNORED

Riding with earplugs

zbassman

As others have said, make sure the plugs don't extend much beyond the entrance to the ear canal AND wear a "Sliks" helmet liner. It allows your helmet to slide over your ears MUCHO easier and also helps keep yer' helmet from gettin' "da funk." grin.gif

I'm a locomotive engineer and wear custom ear plugs. If you can afford it, it is in my opinion the only way to go for all day comfort for hearing protection. They are molded to fit your ear canal and you don't get the expansion pressure that foam plugs can cause. You will soon forget you're wearing them . Any plugs are better than none.

I wasn't completely satisfied with my first pair of plugs made from the iPodKit 2-part silicone putty, and made a second pair. This time I refrigerated the putty to slow down set time, and cut the two components into 3 parts, as the first set were somewhat large. I rolled the putty into a rope, and pushed it fairlly far into my ear canal (but nowhere near touching the eardum. The 2nd set protrudes less, is much more secure, and provides much better sound reduction. 1/3 the price of custom molded plugs.

This site: http://www.jgreer.com/silicone%20page.htm sells 1-quart quantities of the stuff for $29. That's enough to do a heck of a lot of experimenting, for less than the cost of a single pair of custom made plugs.

W. Mazelin

I always ride with them, even on short rides. My wife wears earplugs too. We find that wearing them cuts down on the fatigue a great deal because the ride is just a bit more serene. We just use the foam plugs that are disposable, the same ones we use at the rifle/pistol range.

Yep. BTDT. It's the pain that can be avoided. Get some internal plugs made. The foam is pressing on your helmet and the foam is pressing the cartlidge forward. After an hour it's ummm.....unbearable to say the least.

Archived