IGNORED

Riding with earplugs

zbassman

I've noticed lately that after rides my ears ring for awhile. I've already got a touch of tinnitus from too many years of playing bass in various bands. I want to try to preserve what hearing I have left, so Saturday I tried riding with earplugs for the first time.

I didn't realize how much I depended on sound in my riding. It really threw me off my game for awhile. I found myself going in to curves too hot and generally going faster than I usually do. I also noticed I tended to let the RPMs creep up higher before shifting.

The other weird thing was more mental. Without the extra stimuli of the wind rushing past my ears I noticed extraneous thoughts intruded a bit more. Usually riding lets me really forget everything and just be in the moment. But somehow without the sounds associated with riding I lost a bit of that zen medition aspect.

Still, I want to protect what little hearing I have left, so I am going to keep wearing the plugs cause I think I'll adjust eventually, but it was a weird experience.

Anyone else find earplugs sort of weird?

I've noticed lately that after rides my ears ring for awhile. I've already got a touch of tinnitus from too many years of playing bass in various bands. I want to try to preserve what hearing I have left, so Saturday I tried riding with earplugs for the first time.

I didn't realize how much I depended on sound in my riding. It really threw me off my game for awhile. I found myself going in to curves too hot and generally going faster than I usually do. I also noticed I tended to let the RPMs creep up higher before shifting.

The other weird thing was more mental. Without the extra stimuli of the wind rushing past my ears I noticed extraneous thoughts intruded a bit more. Usually riding lets me really forget everything and just be in the moment. But somehow without the sounds associated with riding I lost a bit of that zen medition aspect.

Still, I want to protect what little hearing I have left, so I am going to keep wearing the plugs cause I think I'll adjust eventually, but it was a weird experience.

Dan, I’ve been using ear plugs for so long now that it feel weird without them.. Get GOOD quality ear plugs & you will soon get used to them.. I can hear traffic just fine with mine & can easily hear a car tire behind or beside me..

Twisty

Unless you ride a Harley with straight pipes, or an AMA open class race bike, I doubt earplugs are going to make a difference in the preservation of your hearing ability under normal riding conditions. Also, extended use of earplugs can be detrimental to your ears, and can lead to damaging infections.

Personally, I'd invest in a quieter helmet if you're annoyed by wind noise.

I think earplugs cause a net increase in my hearing acuity when riding a bike by virtue of eliminating the deafening white noise of wind at speed. I think I hear the really important traffic sounds better when wearing earplugs. That, and like you I would like to have some hearing left during my old age... wink.gif

I doubt earplugs are going to make a difference in the preservation of your hearing ability under normal riding conditions.
Research just doesn't support that view. Noise exposure on a typical motorcycle (beyond short trips) is way above safe limits.
I doubt earplugs are going to make a difference in the preservation of your hearing ability under normal riding conditions. Also, extended use of earplugs can be detrimental to your ears, and can lead to damaging infections.

Huh?

In terms of preserving hearing, I've read the exact opposite of what your suggesting, though I can't quote you chapter and verse. I ride an RT, and I sure can tell the difference under "normal" riding conditions if I ride without plugs. I find the noise incredibly annoying if I ride without them. From what I've read, I believe riding without earplugs does cause hearing damage over the longer term. I ride with a full-face helmet, BTW.

That said, I'm not trying to convince anyone else to use them if they don't want to. However, they should do some research and find out the facts.

As for health issues, common sense prevails. When I used disposable plugs, I wore them for no more than one day (sometimes less). I now have custom-molded plugs, and I use a lubricant available at audiologists that also has some sort of anti-bacterial.

I think earplugs cause a net increase in my hearing acuity when riding a bike by virtue of eliminating the deafening white noise of wind at speed. I think I hear the really important traffic sounds better when wearing earplugs ~clip

Seth, I totally agree with that statment.. I believe without the wind noise I to hear traffic better..

Twisty

Yes.... At first. I experienced the same things as you when I first started wearing ear plugs. After just one ride I had adjusted. Now I find it very tiring to NOT wear ear plugs. Keep wearing them...eventually you'll see that it's the best way to go.

I think earplugs cause a net increase in my hearing acuity when riding a bike by virtue of eliminating the deafening white noise of wind at speed. I think I hear the really important traffic sounds better when wearing earplugs. That, and like you I would like to have some hearing left during my old age... wink.gif

I doubt earplugs are going to make a difference in the preservation of your hearing ability under normal riding conditions.
Research just doesn't support that view. Noise exposure on a typical motorcycle (beyond short trips) is way above safe limits.

+2 thumbsup.gif

Yes.... At first. I experienced the same things as you when I first started wearing ear plugs. After just one ride I had adjusted. Now I find it very tiring to NOT wear ear plugs. Keep wearing them...eventually you'll see that it's the best way to go.

+1. I thought they felt weird also, but then I forced myself to wear them on a day when I was traveling a few hundred miles.......WOW what a difference. I was MUCH less fatigued when I was done riding for the day. In the spring/summer/fall I spend at LEAST 10+ hours a week on the bike........ask any ear doctor about what 10 hours of wind noise per week will do to your hearing over time. Now, I wear them all the time. I've thought about spending the money on expensive custom plugs, but I have an unlimited supply of the cheapy's at work that have been doing me just fine.

+1. Once you get used to wearing them, you may find you hear relevant sounds better, and are more focused. When I do go without earplugs for a quick jaunt around the block, I find the noise extremely distracting. I'm also reminded that when I first started riding, the noise was surprising to me. We can get used to a lot, that maybe we shouldn't. smile.gif

As one example, one of the bike mags (Bike maybe?) did a recent article on earplugs and safe sound levels. From the data they present it's pretty clear that the wind noise we experience is not only far too loud for extended exposure at anything over 40 mph, but the frequency and pressure characteristics of the noise are particularly dangerous. Even cheap foam earplugs (I use Hearos) go a long way to bringing the decibel/pressure levels within safer ranges. They even did a hearing comparison between two riders, and while not a scientifically controlled test, I'd much rather have the results of the guy who regularly wears earplugs!

The constant wind roar will eventually eat your hearing. I use soft foam plugs rated at about 30DB. I can still hear the sirens and traffic. Just makes it a lovely muted level. On some bikes and with some helmets it can be very quiet and still. Like floating along. Other bikes even with the windscreen there is so much air forced around the head it is noisier than with no screen. Those crummy little vents also spoil the air flow and creat more buffeting.

There are those few of us who have no need of air vents and can't find a decent helmet without them.

Husband and I got custom molded earplugs at the the last motorcycle show. After trying all types of foam, wax, etc..custom molded (about $70) is the way to go.

He wears them, without fail, all of the time when riding. Me, I hate em. I do wear them on long road trips especially if we're taking to the slab. I find I'm less tired when I wear the plugs. They fit great and I've even worn them when I worked if I had trouble with concentration and stuff going on around me but, I don't like being plugged up and don't think I ever will. Wish I could get used to it. I'm sure I'll pay for it down the road. Hah, whaddya say?

Well, I don't know. There's a difference between noise sensitivity and actual hearing loss. My hearing has been stable after years of riding long distances, even on sportbikes (yes it gets tested every two years) and the RT seems very quiet, with the windscreen adjusted properly. Maybe I'll try them just to see if it eliminates the annoyance factor, but I don't see my hearing getting worse (or better.)

Unless you ride a Harley with straight pipes, or an AMA open class race bike, I doubt earplugs are going to make a difference in the preservation of your hearing ability under normal riding conditions. Also, extended use of earplugs can be detrimental to your ears, and can lead to damaging infections.

Personally, I'd invest in a quieter helmet if you're annoyed by wind noise.

I totally disagree. Wind noise at speed on any bike can damage hearing over time, though a good quiet helmet does help. I nearly always wear ear plugs when I ride, and find that I enjoy riding much more when I do. You should also wear them when working around mowers, chain saws and other power tools. Loud music is also to be minimized. This strategy has objectively actually improved my hearing over the past 10 years, and I have the audiograms to prove it.

Jay, MD

Well, I'm not going to argue with you resident hearing experts, I'm no ear doctor.

Disclaimer// The Tee is no ear doctor //End of Disclaimer

Husband and I got custom molded earplugs at the the last motorcycle show. After trying all types of foam, wax, etc..custom molded (about $70) is the way to go.

He wears them, without fail, all of the time when riding. Me, I hate em. I do wear them on long road trips especially if we're taking to the slab. I find I'm less tired when I wear the plugs. They fit great and I've even worn them when I worked if I had trouble with concentration and stuff going on around me but, I don't like being plugged up and don't think I ever will. Wish I could get used to it. I'm sure I'll pay for it down the road. Hah, whaddya say?

I just got custom ones this year as well. I hope they work better than the foam ones. My biggest problem was getting the ear plugs in! I must have a weird, small ear canal on my left because I can only get a foam plug inserted 3 times out of 4. I usually get frustrated so give up.

I already have tinnitus in my left ear so am trying to use ear plugs as often as possible to keep what I have and not damage my right ear any more. I have started wearing them when mowing the lawn, using power tools etc.

I was starting to get used to them last year and if the custom ones go in easy, I'll wear them all the time. They did feel weird at first but so did wearing a full face helmet after wearing a half shell. They're a good thing! thumbsup.gif

Well, I'm not going to argue with you resident hearing experts, I'm no ear doctor.

Disclaimer// The Tee is no ear doctor //End of Disclaimer

Ah, darn! I worked up an adrenaline rush all for nothing. frown.gif

Jay

ShovelStrokeEd

Tee,

A simple test you can perform more or less at home. You will need a car with a radio and some time.

Go for about a 1 hour ride at freeway speeds on your motorcycle.

Arrive home and immediately get into your car and turn on the radio. Adjust for a comfortable audio level and then shut it off.

Wait overnight.

Get into the car in the morning and turn the radio on.

If the volume winds up blowing you into the back seat, you have managed to slightly damage your hearing on the ride. Notice that most of it has come back but, trust me, you have lost a little bit. Higher frequencies go first.

This is permanent and cumulative damage. You won't notice it at all, till you get older and by then, it is too late. It takes as little as 110 db of noise to do this and that level is easily achieved on even a quiet helmet at 60 mph.

You know you are in trouble when your most frequently used word is "What?"

I've used the foam earplugs for years. When I forget to bring a pair along, the noise level is irritating and fatiguing. One of the first things I pack for a long trip is a dozen pairs of MAX pre-shaped foam ear plugs rated at 33 decibels (Noise Reduction Rating.)

Yes at first, but you'll get past it quickly. Then you find you are better able to pick out inputs to what is going on without the background 'roar' distraction.
]Research just doesn't support that view. Noise exposure on a typical motorcycle (beyond short trips) is way above safe limits.
+1

Wow, for once Seth and I agree on something!

I guess this is a topic worthy of research. I'm still of the opinion that unless you own mice or laboratory animals, you're still safe to fire up your barbecue and use commercial cleaning solvents without risk of incurring long-term debilitating effects to someone or something.

P.S. I frequently use "Huh?" as opposed to "What?" in normal conversation.

..you're still safe to fire up your barbecue and use commercial cleaning solvents without risk of incurring long-term debilitating effects to someone or something.

I would recommend a good Dijon-style mustard and white wine with olive oil marinade instead.

Jay

Noise fatigue will wear you out and fatigue will kill you.

I got into the habit of wearing earplugs many years ago to reduce the fatigue that goes with listening to static-filled radios. I had to turn the volume up about one-half a notch, to catch the fainter calls, but I wasn't worn out at the end of a shift. They were yellow foamies courtesy of the US Army. The new ones, with a green foam on one end, are even better.

As my career progressed and I was exposed to other loud noises, including gunfire, un-muffled engines (nothing like a 650hp diesel next to your head to give you tinnitus), turbines, 400hz tone and other assorted noises, I wore them all the time. I suffered only "slight" hearing loss after 27 years in the Army and constant buzzing in my ears. My wife begs to differ, but that's another story.

After a couple of ear infections, I went to an audiologist and forked over some money for a set of latex earplugs. They work great.

I hear the car next to me, the sirens on the emergency vehicles, all that stuff. Because I don't hear the rush of the wind or the buzz of the road, the sound stays fresh. Even in the Camry on one of our cross-country dashes or when flying an older aircraft.

Ear pugs - you bet thumbsup.gif, every time I get on the bike and a lot of other places, too.

So how do the in-helmet speakers that a lot of folks seem to be installing fit into this conversation? Would you not have to jack up the volume to overcome the ambient noise? This is something I’ve been thinking about for a while. Can you get music into your helmet without damaging your hearing?

So how do the in-helmet speakers that a lot of folks seem to be installing fit into this conversation? Would you not have to jack up the volume to overcome the ambient noise? This is something I’ve been thinking about for a while. Can you get music into your helmet without damaging your hearing?

In my personal experience, yes, you can listen to music, or conversations, with 'cans' or a headset on over your earplugs. I wore a tanker helmet for three years and earplugs underneath the headset. The earplugs seemed to make conversations and music easier to understand. I find the same thing to be true on my R1200RT .

Mike, with the correct in-helmet speakers you can wear ear plugs & still hear the music.. In my case I actually think I hear the speakers better with the ear plugs as the plugs seem to remove a lot of the distant ambient wind & engine noise..

I’m probably not the best person to judge that though as I have a lot of hearing loss from early life failure to use ear protection in my race trucks,, high performance motorcycles,, & in the armed service..

If you are looking for a good example of reasons to wear proper ear protection in early life I’m probably a good example.. I didn’t & am now paying the price..

Twisty

~clip~ I wore a tanker helmet for three years and earplugs underneath the headset. The earplugs seemed to make conversations and music easier to understand. I find the same thing to be true on my R1200RT

Trajan,, I wish I would have worn ear protection when I was a tanker.. Not much available back when I was in & even if there was we wouldn’t have worn it.. I go back to the M-48’s & early M-60’s (preA1’s).. I remember a few times standing outside the tank during main gun deployment & having blood come out my ears from the blast concussion.. Between that & using that darn 50 cal with your head a few feet from the muzzle blast.. Sure wish now I was smarter back then..

Twisty

+2 thumbsup.gif

+2 squared then squared again and again.......

I've also been using foam plugs (33dB) for years for any rides longer than a few minutes. I still can't hear but I've been told that it is a genetic issue not noise exposure issue -- but believe me hearing aids are a pain. First of all you pay a couple thousand each for good ones and you can't take a test ride before commiting to try different brands. A good manufacturer/supplier will keep reworking them in an effort to make them confortable and effective but I think their chasing the end of the rainbow (At least the folks I chose to spend my money on).

I've been wearing earplugs while riding since . . . well, a long, long time. In terms of total sound attenuation the disposable foam plugs work about as well as anything. And, being cheap and disposable, losing one or two isn't an issue.

I tried the "fill your ears with goo and let it set" approach a couple of times and, while they were easy to use, I wasn't too happy with the end result. I found that there seemed to be some sound leakage, which varied from ride to ride. Probably a fit issue, a result of the fact that there are a number of poorly-qualified people who do this.

The best approach, though expensive, was a visit to an audiologist. She created a mold, then sent it off to a company that builds earplugs for a variety of uses. I settled on a model that reduces wind roar significantly, but attenuates traffic sounds (like siren and horn sounds) to a lesser degree. They work better than anything else I've used, but a pair cost me about $100 . . . I'm always worried about losing them. In my view, this is the best approach if you've got a little bit of extra cash laying around--it's a good investment in your hearing health. Also, they're a breeze to insert, unlike foam plugs, which can be a pain to insert fully.

As noted by a few people above, I believe that earplugs make me a safer rider, since they reduce fatigue. Also, I find noise of any sort reduces my ability to multitask; in my experience, reducing high levels of sound input allows me to focus better on my riding.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Go for about a 1 hour ride at freeway speeds on your motorcycle.

Arrive home and immediately get into your car and turn on the radio. Adjust for a comfortable audio level and then shut it off.

Wait overnight.

Get into the car in the morning and turn the radio on.

If the volume winds up blowing you into the back seat, you have managed to slightly damage your hearing on the ride. Notice that most of it has come back but, trust me, you have lost a little bit. Higher frequencies go first.

This is permanent and cumulative damage. You won't notice it at all, till you get older and by then, it is too late. It takes as little as 110 db of noise to do this and that level is easily achieved on even a quiet helmet at 60 mph.

What you are describing is called a "temporary threshold shift," and given enough time, it takes far less than 110 dB to do it. Working in engine test cells at the lab, we're required to take hearing safety training and get our ears tested annually. I can tell you that OSHA requires the use of hearing protection when we are exposed to sounds above 85 dB, which isn't all that loud: I have cheap POS SPL meter at home, and my walk-behind mower comes in at 85 dB, as does my shop vac.

I don't have any way of measuring the sound levels inside my helmet, but from a subjective sense I'd estimate they're considerably louder than 85 dB when cruising at 60+ MPH. My first 450-mile highway trip on the RT left my ears ringing like I'd just been to a concert; I wore earplugs for highway travel after that, and when I traded my RF-800 for a slightly noiser RF-900 helmet in '03, I wore earplugs all the time.

My dad has substantial hearing loss in both ears. He'll tell you it's from a five-year stint in the Navy back in the 50's flying multi-engine prop planes across oceans, but I think it's got more to do with the intervening decades of using power/impact tools (tablesaws, chainsaws, wood routers, and jackhammers, just to name a few) and cutting the grass without any hearing protection at all. For reasons unknown to me he refuses to even try a hearing aid; nowadays if the family watches a movie together or attends some public event (e.g. my niece's graduation last summer, or a wedding), he can't understand what's being said, and really doesn't get much out of the event. frown.gif

I really don't want to end up like that. I have a box of disposable earplugs in the garage, and another in the basement, and I wear them whenever I'm riding or using power tools. I use a new pair every day when touring, and the last time I had an ear infection was long before I ever started riding. Here at work they've been testing my hearing every year for nine years - and I've been riding for as long - and so far my ears are great, no change since I started. I expect it's pretty much got to deteriorate a little bit as I get older, but if I'm careful, I hope it will be minimal.

ShovelStrokeEd

I never knew the name for it.

I worked in the high speed web offset printing industry for about 20 years prior to what I am doing now. Noise levels in the pressroom routinely reached 112db and some rooms were far worse. I would actually insert a set of foam ear plugs and then put a head set on over that. Even with all that protection, it was difficult to avoid a little hearing loss.

We were subjected to hearing tests on a bi-annual basis and when you compared the figures over the years it was obvious. Wind noise is really bad as it tends to be pulsed and runs all over the frequency spectrum.

Wow, for once Seth and I agree on something!
Yeah, and the conservatives around here sometimes display a similar astonishment. Go figure.

I don't know what your talkin about........I always wear ear protection.

grin.gif

I have 2 pair that I got from the audiologist after trying forever to get the cheap ones to work for me. 1 pair of custom molded earplugs (about $60.00) and a second pair for listening to music, gps, etc. (about $200.00). I find that I wear the 2nd pair most of the time. I plug them into my zummo. They are comfortable and are as quiet as the 1st pair. On long rides I sometimes like to listen to music and with these in I can keep the volume low.

Bill

R1200RT

"Dan, I’ve been using ear plugs for so long now that it feel weird without them.. Get GOOD quality ear plugs & you will soon get used to them".

+3. I use custom made ear plugs and have been for years.

I never get on the bike without earplugs. I find it odd when I forget to put them in. Go ahead and use them.

On the other hand, with the electronics revolution, they are making remarkable hearing aids these days....

+1 for the never wear 'em crew. I tried different ones on multiple rides, long and short, and never got used to them, nor liked them. Totally subjective...I don't think my hearing has suffered at all from > 100K miles on bikes. I always wear a full face helmet, and have always had windscreens on my bikes. No loud pipes.

Bassman...I also played bass for many years. One night's gig has got to be many times worse than a year of riding a relatively quiet bike. I definitely recommend wearing plugs when you're gigging or practicing at loud levels, but you probably already do so. From studies I've read, the lower Hz of the bass are less damaging than the higher pitched instruments; however, unless you're doing solo bass gigs (let me know where your find them wink.gif) it can be an issue.

zbassman said Anyone else find earplugs sort of weird?

I find riding (and playing music) weird without them.

Since I was a teenager (playing loud rock music), I've always used the yellow foamies whenever I play music, ride motorcycles, vacuum the house (don't laugh, those things are LOUD). I buy the earplugs buy the box of 200pr, and I've always got a handful of fresh ones in my tankbag, my drumstick bag, my knapsack. I recently had my annual physical, and my doctor said I have the (good) hearing of a much younger man. I hear things my two cats don't hear.

It's a loud world out there, long live earplugs!

------------------

Chris (aka Tender Vittles )

Little '77 KZ400 in the Big Apple

Black '99 RT for Everywhere Else, such as ...

310287-mar2004.gif

Research just doesn't support that view. Noise exposure on a typical motorcycle (beyond short trips) is way above safe limits. Right, confirmed recently by my audiologist, who showed me data on noise levels of various activities, including highway-speed motorcycle riding. Wind noise is damaging. Many men of a certain age (me included) have left-ear hearing loss from driving with the window open in the days before air conditioning in cars was common. I find it startling that a musician with tinnitus would even consider riding without hearing protection.

I have gotten so used to them I wear em when I mow the law, use a chainsaw or any other loud power tool.

And I can assure you that wind noise is in fact loud enough to damage your hearing, I was very involved in the legislation a few years ago in California that made disposable ear plugs legal for use on a motorcycle, previously only custom made ones were. The evidence is simply overwhelming once you look into it.

Joe Frickin' Friday
I've always used the yellow foamies whenever I...vacuum the house (don't laugh, those things are LOUD).

We bought a Miele last summer. Insanely expensive, but one of the reasons we chose it was because it was unbelievably, amazingly quiet. Especially compared to more modestly-priced VC's, which - as you note - are insanely loud.

I hear things my two cats don't hear.

Oh, they hear, it they just don't care. tongue.gifgrin.gif

Most people find earplugs very comfortable after initial "get used to" period.

True story. I used to work together with a very smart and intelligent guy, he couldn't stand watching TV.

But his wife did enjoy some programs and had expressed her opinion that the husband should be there with her to spend some "quality time" together.

And he was there sitting right next to his dear wife, with ear plugs on lmao.gif

And supposedly they were both quite happy with the arrangement, hubby was there so wife was happy and he didn't at least have to LISTEN to the TV.

But think about it...

"Yes honey, let's talk about it. Let me just put these ear plugs on first and then I'll be all yours..."

--

Mikko

Joe_Frickin_Friday said Oh, they hear, it they just don't care.

Hate to admit you're probably right tongue.gif

------------------

Chris (aka Tender Vittles )

Little '77 KZ400 in the Big Apple

Black '99 RT for Everywhere Else, such as ...

310287-mar2004.gif

I just got custom ones this year as well. I hope they work better than the foam ones. My biggest problem was getting the ear plugs in! I must have a weird, small ear canal on my left because I can only get a foam plug inserted 3 times out of 4. I usually get frustrated so give up.

I already have tinnitus in my left ear so am trying to use ear plugs as often as possible to keep what I have and not damage my right ear any more. I have started wearing them when mowing the lawn, using power tools etc.

I was starting to get used to them last year and if the custom ones go in easy, I'll wear them all the time. They did feel weird at first but so did wearing a full face helmet after wearing a half shell. They're a good thing! thumbsup.gif

bross, the custom ones have a little trick to getting them in; it's a twist motion toward the back of your head and to get them out it's a twist towards the front. You can't just push them in sidewards or pull them straight out. Ouch!

Where the foam plugs didn't always seal correctly or one was more sealed than the other the custom plugs once put in are in right and stay put.

I'm confident you'll like the custom plugs better than the foam or plastic or wax plugs.

I must be missing somthing here or have never had the experience of using earplugs but I always way a full helmet. How is wind or whatever going to effect my ears when my head is wrapped in a huge Nolan lid? Am I actually still getting noise and not noticing it?

How is wind or whatever going to effect my ears when my head is wrapped in a huge Nolan lid?
It varies widely based on helmet design, but many helmets generate more noise at your ears than would be present with no helmet at all. This is especially true on bikes with fairings that disrupt airflow and don't let the helmets work in the way (with respect to noise reduction) that their designers intended. In any event one cannot count on a helmet alone for any meaningful hearing protection.

Archived