IGNORED

It's Official: UnRally VII - July 8-11, 2008 - JOHN DAY, OREGON

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

I'll have to ask my wife if I can go.

Tell her I said it was OK.

yEAH...me too..it's okay.! thumbsup.gif

Just got off the phone with her! She doesn't understand why it is you feel the need to ask her permission!!!

Dood, you're in!!!

See you there! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I have no idea this far out if Sunjoo and I will be able to make it, but since Oregon is where I was born and raised, I am crossing my fingers.

I'm not really sure where this Walloa Lake is that folks are talking about. I do know that when I was very small (yes, I used to be small - long, long ago) that my family went camping at Wallowa Lake. It is named after the Wallowa band of the Nez Perce Indians. One of their chiefs was Chief Joseph, who would become famous when he declared war with the United States back in 1877. Another chief of the Nez Perce, the Lushootseed band was Chief Seattle. They named a city after him, but I forgot which one dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

Many places in the Northwest have their named based in their indian heritage. Wallowa Lake is absolutely beautiful, maybe Walloa Lake is too. tongue.gifthumbsup.giftongue.gif

Daily Prayer:

"Dear Buddha - I pray that the moon will be in the proper phase and that you will see it in your wisdom to let me go to the UnRally in 2008. I promise to follow your scripture 100% . . . well, except for that no sex part, and the part about not sleeping in a bed, and maybe not that part about no luxury items, and I'm sure an occasional drink of spirits now and then isn't so bad either. Other than that, I should be o.k. Please let me go to the UnRally. Your devoted servant (when I'm not serving Sunjoo) FirstShirt.

Daily Prayer:

"Dear Buddha - I pray that the moon will be in the proper phase and that you will see it in your wisdom to let me go to the UnRally in 2008. I promise to follow your scripture 100% . . . well, except for that no sex part, and the part about not sleeping in a bed, and maybe not that part about no luxury items, and I'm sure an occasional drink of spirits now and then isn't so bad either. Other than that, I should be o.k. Please let me go to the UnRally. Your devoted servant (when I'm not serving Sunjoo) FirstShirt.

Wow, no sex, no drinking and no BMW's!!?? eek.gif (It's got to be considered a luxury item, non?? grin.gif )

And I thought the Ten Commandments were strict! dopeslap.gif

Personally, I like Odin's "Commandments/Charges" and "Noble Virtues" a lot better--besides, there are only NINE of them! thumbsup.gif

The 9 Noble Virtues

COURAGE

TRUTH

HONOR

FIDELITY

DISCIPLINE

HOSPITALITY

SELF-RELIANCE

INDUSTRIOUSNESS

PERSEVERANCE

--and--

The Nine Charges:

1. To maintain candour and fidelity in love and devotion to the tried friend: though he strike me I will do him no scathe.

2. Never to make wrongsome oath: for great and grim is the reward for the breaking of plighted troth.

3. To deal not hardly with the humble and the lowly.

4. To remember the respect that is due to great age.

5. To suffer no evil to go unremedied and to fight against the enemies of Faith, Folk and Family: my foes I will fight in the field, nor will I stay to be burnt in my house.

6. To succour the friendless but to put no faith in the pledged word of a stranger people.

7. If I hear the fool's word of a drunken man I will strive not: for many a grief and the very death groweth from out such things.

8. To give kind heed to dead men: straw dead, sea dead or sword dead.

9. To abide by the enactments of lawful authority and to bear with courage the decrees of the Norns (the three goddesses of destiny who sit by the well of fate and spin the web of fate). wink.gif

You've pretty much practiced those well already so you should be good to go! See you both there!! clap.gif

Moses, on coming down from Mt. Sinai:

I've got good news and bad news.

The good news is: I got him down to 10.

The bad news is: Adultery is still included.

2,777 by slab(!) from my house. cool.gif

Available vacation time to ride there and back: 5 days bncry.gif

Hey Woodie ,Google only shows it as about 1day 10hrs drive . That leaves 1 whole day to mingle . smile.gif Actually I am in the same boat as far as time .I get 4weeks but my wife has already spoke for 2 of them and 1 for hunting season . Thats only 1 week for me as well . Dave bncry.gif

I'll have to ask my wife if I can go.

Tell her I said it was OK.

yEAH...me too..it's okay.! thumbsup.gif

Just got off the phone with her! She doesn't understand why it is you feel the need to ask her permission!!!

Dood, you're in!!!

See you there! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifObviously, she agreed to Paul going before seeing your picture on your avatar. lmao.gif You and Whip been sharing the same pipe again? lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

I stand corrected by honorable "firstshirt".

Correct spelling is Wallowa.

You are correct about Chief Joseph...The second chief was the one involved in the war...(read flight and exile of the NezPerce people) ..The first is buried in a grave overlooking the lake.

Truly a native american hero.

MB>

Bullett and I are IN at Am. Best Value Inn. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Thinking about routes now. I guess I should start another thread on that!

Jan and Sharon

Hmm...sounds like a plan..... thumbsup.gif

Phil- would you put my name on your reservation for if...I mean when you cancel?? lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Dude!! Hope you made your own reservations!! We just did vacation bidding for next year here at work and I am locked in for the time off!!!!!

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Well, OK then...If you're really gonna make it this time....

Lemme know what your ride schedule is like-

Heck & the Missus are IN

Reservations at America's Best Value Inn...

lurker.giflurker.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to You all....welcome to the Pacific Northwest. You will LOVE John Day and surrounding area's.

I gotta see if I can pencil in 2 rallys the same month, same place...oh heck Yeah! Maybe I will just live there in June. grin.gif

Just Beeming

Reservation have been made. clap.gifclap.gif

Just UNder 2,200 miles. Looking forward to UNwinding after a long school year. My vacation starts on the 5th and ends around the 19th so I should have enough time.

(BTW, that is the 5th of June and the 19th of August.) grin.gifthumbsup.gif

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Right on Ed. Keep an eye on the Un forum where we will announce when registration opens sometime in the spring. cool.gif

Let's see, I think I have been absent from this forum for well over a year. As is often the case, life has happened (divorce and whatnot) and other shinny objects have captured my attention (sailboats). That is not to say that I've given up my beloved RT. Au contre.

So I'm going through my bookmarks and decide to click on the well-worn BMWSportTouring link and behold, what do I find? The venerated Unrally is being held within a day's ride of me and is being unorganized by my friend, Steve. Me thinks it's time to renew my interest in this forum and its contributors. In other words, IN! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Right on Bruce! I mean, heck, we work within walking distance of each other! Glad you can make it. Keep your eyes peeled for the announcement of the actual registration, sometime in the spring.

Welcome back! wave.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hopz and Mrs. Hopz IN... arrive on 8th... America's Best Value Room 106... they say.

Looking forward to it. Will probably do this instead of the MOA Rally in Gillette...Any other fly fishers on-board?

Bob/Susie

Me too! I just booked at America's Best Value for July 7-10. Way too cool... this SoCal Baby Boomer has the Bend area on his short list of areas for retirement (I hear the locals groaning already: "oh no, not another one!"). What a great time out to check out the area once again by moto. I betcha it'll be a little warmer up there in July than it is right now! TIA for organizing this event!

Jeff

Fightingpiper

I'm in at Americas best from 8-10th. Gonna be my first big trip on a bike since I went to the Black Hills on the back of a Wing when I was in 6th grade. thumbsup.gifclap.gif Hopefully I'll be taking off either on the 3rd or 4th and either head to California or Seattle/Vancouver first and be in John Day on the 8th but this may be wishfull thinking....

Yippee, I'll be there with some friends and family. My avatar pic location is close by: 59 miles, 1 stop sign, and about 112 twisties/sweepers.

And Effjay07, ignore the Bend locals bewailing So Cal immigrants: the loudest are the 10,000 who beat you here.

smirk.gif

How can I not come to this thumbsup.gif. It's basically in the back yard. The only question is; Do I go somewhere else before, after, where,... or how long do I hang around? Being retired brings up all sorts of new problems grin.gif.

Phil,

how would you get there? I am seriously considering the 2500+ miles, one way trip, but it is hard to justify 6 days of travel for 1 or 2 days at the Un. Hum, is it really that hard to justify? I will have to ask my wife...

Phil,

how would you get there? I am seriously considering the 2500+ miles, one way trip, but it is hard to justify 6 days of travel for 1 or 2 days at the Un. Hum, is it really that hard to justify? I will have to ask my wife...

It si easy to justify. You take a week-long roadtrip, a tour taking in great roads and at its heart, the UN.

Andy

(whishing I could make the trip)

Glad you guys are going to come and visit our state. The weather in July in John Day can be warm and in the 90^ range. It can also snow...so be prepared for anything.

A lot has been mentioned about Willowa Lake. IMHO the lake itself is a hole in the ground, but the area around it is beautiful. If you're bringing a SO with you, make sure and visit the town of Joseph nearby. Lots of art stores there and a nice museum.

The area around John Day is a fossil hunters dream. There is the John Day Fossil Beds and a museum there. Well worth a trip.

As per BendBills' avatar, the best side trip is to Granite and Sumpter to the old gold mining area. Sumpter has an old gold dredge and small museum along with a small steam engine ride. The twisty riding in the area is very cool. If you have a GS or dual sport, you can literally ride forever there and a trip to Olive Lake towards the town of Dale is fun.

If any of you are coming up from the CA way and need a stopover in southern Oregon, PM me. It is about a 5-6 hour ride to JD from here at moderate speeds. We will probably ride over via the east route of Oregon which to me is the more scenic way to go. The route through Crater Lake is more travelled but scenic, and you can't see the lake unless you actually go through the Park.

I will try to post some more pics of the area later after I resize some photos. jd14.jpg

Typical BMW in eastern Oregon...lol

jd13.jpg

Camping area at John Day fairgrounds

Okey dokey Stevie.....I mean.........Weiner Guy!

Everything looks pretty cool here....you've done a pretty danged good job! The PNW group is proud of ya's!

Am trying to talk my wife into a 4 Corner ride....or a weeks worth of Tahoe-Reno and other local environs.....keep yer fingers crossed for me.

Hope you've counted me already amongst the 64.......

Pat

Thanks, actually been lurking for way too long! I need to start pushing keys more often. And, they don't let me out often smile.gif

Attatched photo: Last July, mid week, mid morning traffic on US26 near the SR7 junction.

981810-072007036_2.jpg.5d5121258186e53b1b3013985113adb3.jpg

Well, I'm thinking of flying and trying to come up with a bike out there. But if some of us head out together, getting there can be some of the best memories of the trip. On the way to the first UN in Gunnison I travelled with BigMak and Doc and OldRider and Steve Kolseth among others. Of course the trip was from Central Oregon to Colorado - some of the best territory in the US.

The problem is Chicago through Nebraska. I expect it to be a day and a half each way of monotony broken up by great evenings in some hapless motel.

I might be able to pull it off, though. I can take maybe 6 vacation days and do the follow the rat flute player guy.

I miss riding! It snows almost every other day this year.

Meanwhile, my daughter has moved from Bend to Hillsboro, so she'll be a bit farther from the UN but still in reach for a day or so visit.

We'll see.

Hey, Phil, I hope to see you at the July UN 7. If you fly, have you checked rentals in the Portland area? I remember a small Southern OR town a few years back that rented an FJR--your kind of ride--so maybe Stumptown might have something similar.

I just booked a room at the Best Western for four nights (arriving Tuesday the 8th, and departing Saturday the 12th).

BTW, if you check room availability online it shows only smoking rooms. However, I called the motel directly and discovered that this is not correct. In fact, there's only two smoking rooms in the entire place.

My wife and I are interested in going to our first Unrally. She likes to stay in our popup camper, plus she insists on taking the dog. Usually she drives the truck pulling the camper and I meet her there on the bike. Besides the fairgrounds, is anyone familiar with other campgrounds in the area?

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
My wife and I are interested in going to our first Unrally. She likes to stay in our popup camper, plus she insists on taking the dog. Usually she drives the truck pulling the camper and I meet her there on the bike. Besides the fairgrounds, is anyone familiar with other campgrounds in the area?
You can certainly park the truck and camper at the fairgrounds. I don't specifically know about the other campgrounds, but the fairgrounds are Headquarters for the rally...the catered meals will be there along with probably half of the rally-goers sleeping there. Call the fairgrounds at the number listed in my first post and talk to them about RV hookups there...I know they have them.
anyone familiar with other campgrounds in the area?

Clyde Holliday Oregon State park is 5 miles out of John Day.

Sites are nice and quiet. 1st come, 1st serve--no reservations. Water and electric, with a dump on site.

The fairground sites next to rally central are more convenient, just not as pretty.

Clyde Holliday Oregon State park is 5 miles out of John Day. Sites are nice and quiet. 1st come, 1st serve--no reservations. Water and electric, with a dump on site.

The fairground sites next to rally central are more convenient, just not as pretty.

Thanks for the information. I haven't called the fairgrounds yet, but we'll probably stay there if they allow dogs.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived