IGNORED

UnRally VI: Site Annoucement: Fayetteville, WV - September 4-6, 2007

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)

To The Ducks:

Your welcome to visit - even if you're in a rent-a-cage. As this is an UnRally the emphasis is on the people first, bikes come second, third, forth and sometimes even fifth. Somewhere in there is food, drink, tall tales and lot's of drooling over all the new bikes and gadgets. The emphasis for Mrs. FirstShirt and I will be to catch up with old friends and meet some new ones. Yes we'll ride, but that will be secondary. Hope to see you there!!! clap.gifwave.gifclap.gif

Ah Fayetteville,

I spent many years making the trip down there to raft on the Gauley. When we started there was NOTHING down there.

We usually stayed in Beckley or near there. The folks always told us of "Five dollar Frank" in Fayetteville. We finally made the trip to Frank's one year. The old dude had a home made aviation museum, a homemade runway and a little 4 seat plane. For $5 each he would fly you over the New River Bridge. It was way scarier than rafting one of the baddest rivers in the states.Franks has passed on I am sure.

It is a FANTASTIC area. Lot's of cool terrain, lot's of history. thumbsup.gif

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)
It is a FANTASTIC area. Lot's of cool terrain, lot's of history. thumbsup.gif

Chris, coming from you that's high praise. The area is awesome. We're going to have a blast.

Mark

Count me IN thumbsup.gif

I will be staying in Alderson, WV with a college buddy and commuting for all of the days. Unfortunately, I have to ride about 50 miles of undulating asphalt to get to and from Fayetteville to my base camp lmao.gif

Looking forward to seeing some of you again and meeting most of you left coasters. Some of you may be able to teach me how to keep my lower fairings off of the ground in the corners grin.gif

Looking forward to seeing some of you again and meeting most of you left coasters. Some of you may be able to teach me how to keep my lower fairings off of the ground in the corners grin.gif

From a left coaster cool.gif

I got a great idea thumbsup.gif-Prolly sumthins up with those lower fairings of yours so we would be willing to figure out whats wrong confused.gif.We will ride your bike for a day ( and leave you the rent a car)till we figure out what the problem is wink.gif.

Hey thats what are friends for wave.gif

Lone_RT_rider
"mrduck", your generosity knows no bounds! lmao.gif

But we prefer the term: "Best Coaster"!! wink.gif

That depends on how you quantify "Best". Personally I love the fact that my 2400 sqr ft. house cost approximately what a SHED does in on the left coast. grin.giflmao.gif

Shawn

"mrduck", your generosity knows no bounds! lmao.gif

But we prefer the term: "Best Coaster"!! wink.gif

That depends on how you quantify "Best". Personally I love the fact that my 2400 sqr ft. house cost approximately what a SHED does in on the left coast. grin.giflmao.gif

Shawn

Umm, more like an empty appliance box placed under an interstate bridge on the outskirts of town, just big enough for a family of six.

Lone_RT_rider
Umm, more like an empty appliance box placed under an interstate bridge on the outskirts of town, just big enough for a family of six.

Thanks Tasker, that's quite literally the first time I have smiled since about 8:10 this morning. Much appreciated my friend.

Shawn

I think we've stolen this thread, but I can't help but join in and try to bring some reality back:

That depends on how you quantify "Best". Personally I love the fact that my 2400 sqr ft. house cost approximately what a SHED does in on the left coast.

I grew up on the "left coast" but have spent many years on the "right coast." I have to correct you on your comparison. Your not talking left vs. right. Your talking SOUTH vs. left. I am living on the right coast currently and have totally lost my dream of what a million dollar house should be. I used to think it was a castle, with a moat, drawbridge, and fair maidens everywhere. Now I find it's a colonial, in a 20 year old neighborhood, with a street behind the back yard that is six lanes and busier than I-95!

So, let's please get back to the real world. In the real world the sun rises on the right coast and sets on the left coast. My wife hates getting up early, and when you combine a sunset with a couple of glasses of really good wine . . . grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

We now return this thread back to it's regular scheduled programming . . .

Closest thing was Spike and Cyphergirl (John and Patti Spicer) hitting Gunnison 1 on their honeymoon ride on Rt. 50 from Ocean city MD to California thumbsup.gif

Their old RT might be showing up at the UN. I bought it from them back in the spring of '05 after John bought his Ducati (great couple, they seemed to be very nice people). It carried me from coast to coast (and back) that summer, and has been doing commuting duty ever since. I think its a strong possibility that I could take a quick jaunt down to WV for a few days in Sept. I might even be able to drag along the SO if we can find a babysitter for the week. As long as everyone is accepting of the under-30 crowd...LOL.

I used to think it was a castle, with a moat, drawbridge, and fair maidens everywhere. Now I find it's a colonial, in a 20 year old neighborhood, with a street behind the back yard that is six lanes and busier than I-95!

grin.gif

I think its a strong possibility that I could take a quick jaunt down to WV for a few days in Sept. I might even be able to drag along the SO if we can find a babysitter for the week. As long as everyone is accepting of the under-30 crowd...LOL.
It's great that Spike's old steed is still doing yeoman service! I hope you can make it out. We're always looking for fresh blood--er . . . I mean, fresh perspectives! Yeah, that's it! wink.gif

And don't let our MRN reputation fool you, we love the under-30 crowd! thumbsup.gif

. . . as long as they wipe their feet! lmao.gif

And Gleno would prolly tell you, he loves n00bs, they taste like chicken! grin.gif

I'm just really tore up that you'll never get to meet the man. bncry.gif

And Gleno would prolly tell you, he loves n00bs, they taste like chicken! grin.gif

I'm just really tore up that you'll never get to meet the man. bncry.gif

I may be a bit of a noob, but I doubt I taste like chicken.......maybe more of a two day old pork chop wink.gif

and who is the man that I never get to meet?

Ugh, I meant no disrespect by cracking a joke back there. I feel about half sick to my stomach. All I can plead is ignorance.....I didn't know what happened. Its only about 10-15 degrees outside, but I think I need to go take a ride.

Ugh, I meant no disrespect by cracking a joke back there. I feel about half sick to my stomach. All I can plead is ignorance.....I didn't know what happened. Its only about 10-15 degrees outside, but I think I need to go take a ride.
Keith, please don't worry about it, you couldn't have easily known since you're on the other coast. Gleno had taken a long vacation from here awhile back and folks who joined up around the time you did had no idea who Gleno was. He's hardly missed a Torrey since the first one and he had come back with vengeance recently here again, but he only hung out in Other Topics and the Main Forum, so a lot of newbies who spend more time in Oilheads, etc. researching whatever problem drew them here would have easily missed him.

I feel equally sorry for all the folks who had never had the pleasure to meet the man ITRW, or even the newbies who didn't even get to know his heart and humor from his postings on the many DB's he participated on. He loved sharing the love of the sport with anyone and everyone and there are dozens if not hundreds of motorcyclists for whom Gleno was their first introduction into what "Spreading the Love" of SportTouring is all about.

Make it to Torrey some time before you die--your moto-soul and your awesome bike will thank you for it! thumbsup.gif

Make it to Torrey some time before you die--your moto-soul and your awesome bike will thank you for it!

+1 on that

After the first all you do is try and figure out how to get back for another one. smirk.gif

In. I might use the AutoTrain to get from FL to VA, then ride the 250 miles west to WV. And might be heading up to NY afterward to visit the family.

Their old RT might be showing up at the UN. I bought it from them back in the spring of '05 after John bought his Ducati (great couple, they seemed to be very nice people). It carried me from coast to coast (and back) that summer, and has been doing commuting duty ever since. I think its a strong possibility that I could take a quick jaunt down to WV for a few days in Sept. I might even be able to drag along the SO if we can find a babysitter for the week. As long as everyone is accepting of the under-30 crowd...LOL.

Holy Crud, I never put it together that you were the guy who bought the RT. It never dawned on me. What a dope I am. Hope the bike has treated you well. Ive somewhat kicked myself for selling it to you, especially after the ST puked its guts out on the BRP.

Oh well, Patti and I are IN for Un '07. We hopefully will introduce you all to the new ride.

Spike

Oh well, Patti and I are IN for Un '07. We hopefully will introduce you all to the new ride.

Spike

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif Will it have two wheels or a propeller? wink.gif
Holy Crud, I never put it together that you were the guy who bought the RT. It never dawned on me. What a dope I am. Hope the bike has treated you well. Ive somewhat kicked myself for selling it to you, especially after the ST puked its guts out on the BRP.

Spike

LOL....its all good. The bike has been treating me great. I've put about 14k miles on it since I bought it from you. Only problems have been a minor speedo repair while in CA (worm gear stripped out in the hub) and the crown bearing in the rear diff decided to come apart on me last summer. Other than that, its just been routine oil changes and smooth sailing. I love it.

I'm gonna do everything I can to make it down to WV. Even it its only for a day or two. Hope to see ya there.

Two wheels dude grin.gif

Purty red! grin.gif

I've got our reservation in; we'll be in one of the Country Cabins ( wave.gif Ron!). Arriving the evening of the 3rd (Monday), departing on the 7th (Friday).

Cathy and I are IN! Just made reservations at the Quatlty Inn. Arriving 9/4 out on 9/7 clap.gif. Can't wait this will be our first UN!

Mark & Sylva, great job in putting this together. thumbsup.gif Thanks!

I went on an adventure weekend at this location. It was great. Went down the river after a dam release, rock climbed, paint ball and golf. i didn't have a bike back then so I am sure this time I will be finding two wheel adventure as well. I do recall the scenery was really something!

Okay why am I not seeing any posts of people camping??? Am I missing something?? Is there something I should know??? Like "Oh my God the bugs are huge at night and can chew through a tent in 10 seconds.!!!" eek.gifeek.gif

Seven seconds, I heard that they can get through a double walled tent in seven seconds. And that's when they're not hungry. Actually, my wife and I plan to camp along with probably 50 other people.

For me, it all depends on if the SO is coming along (not sure if she can get away with her work and school schedule). If I'm alone, I'll definitly be camping. If She tags along, then we'll most likely be under a roof somewhere.

Considering we will be in the mountains of WV......I can promise you that there will be plenty of bugs. Don't worry, they won't take your bike out for a joy ride or anything. wink.gifwink.gif

I'd love to do the camping thing but my wife and biting insects are like magnet & steel, so off to the inn we go.

LOL...sounds familiar. Couldn't convince the wife to try it. We would have opted for a cabin but when I called they said none were available.

"...so off to the inn we go."

Hi everyone, I lurk here every know and then, but I had to join the board when I saw that ya'll are coming to my backyard for a get together this summer. Just one thing, please keep it a secret that we have some of the best riding north of the smokies!

Hi everyone, I lurk here every know and then, but I had to join the board when I saw that ya'll are coming to my backyard for a get together this summer. Just one thing, please keep it a secret that we have some of the best riding north of the smokies!

No problem. I'm sure there won't be any ride reports after the UN. thumbsup.gif

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Well, I've never been on any sort of rally before, and I have never ridden anything in America, so I thought this is the one for me thumbsup.gif I have applied for outline planning permission with my wife, and so far the vibes are good, providing I pay for the family holiday in October grin.gif. I thought I could hire a bike from EagleRiders in Washington DC. I will get to Washington midday on the Saturday, but best rest for a while and start off Sunday morning. Any nice routes to Fayetteville?

I'm not a frequent poster, but I never let a day go by without reading about you all, your a great bunch, and I feel as though I know you all.

Steve

Steve, if you have enough time, head west from DC to Front Royal, VA, and then go south on the Blue Ridge Parkway for a bit. That northern part is a little slower and not as scenic, but it's still spectacular.

Or better yet, you could stop at some of the revolutionary war sites and read about some of those skirmishes and see how the British came out. tongue.gif

Steve, if you have enough time, head west from DC to Front Royal, VA, and then go south on the Blue Ridge Parkway for a bit. That northern part is a little slower and not as scenic, but it's still spectacular.

Or better yet, you could stop at some of the revolutionary war sites and read about some of those skirmishes and see how the British came out. tongue.gif

I'm going to start studying the Google maps, thanks,

Poor Brits, never have much luck. I have found some flights for £395. and I have full planning permission thumbsup.gif

Steve

Steve

Any nice routes to Fayetteville?

Any two lane road in wv is a pretty good ride. Rte. 92 is pretty good. Also, 219 is pretty nice, and from it you can take the highland scenic highway. It's a good road, just not long enough.

Archived