IGNORED

KMG_365

Okay, here's the first draft of the Pied Piper Run attendees that have checked in so far from the UnRally VI in West Virginia, September 4-6th, 2007 thread:

Phil "1bmwfan" in Diamond Springs, CA

Michael "SageRider" in Minden, NV (right across the mountains! smile.gif )

Todd "texasaggie97" in Malibu, CA (on the fence, but giving it serious thought! wink.gif )

Ken and Donna "Ken H." in KC, MO

"Bud" in . . . "somewhere in Southern Illinois" tongue.gif

"Tasker" in Indy, IN

winding up in:

"Somewhere" in West Virginia! clap.gif

Hmmmmm, it's looking like kind of a straight shot. I was hoping to do a bit more zig-zagging, but no one else has checked in yet. No "Mile High Crew" . . . no "Pie Town Crew" . . . no "Chi Town Crew" . . . I guess it's a little too far out of the way to swing by and pick up the "Conch Republic Crew"! grin.gif

I talked with Phil last night and here's our very tentative plan that is slowly taking shape:

I would like to arrive at the UnRally a day early (Monday afternoon/night, Labor Day September 3rd) to relax and do some touristy stuff with Leslie. I don't know if HotJamie is riding with or flying out to join us. So, working backwards from there:

Sunday night, September 2nd in Indianapolis, IN? (it's only 300-400 miles to "somewhere" in West Virginia! wink.gif )

Saturday night, in "somewhere in south Illinois" is no more than 230 miles, which isn't much of a day. Alternatively, we could stop at Ken and Donna's in KC, MO and from there to Tasker's place via "somewhere in south IL" is around 500 miles. Don't worry Tasker, of course I'm not volunteering the mongol hoards to decend on your place, so another option would be from "somewhere in south IL" to "somewhere in WV" around 500-600 miles.

Friday night is up in the air depending on who we're picking up--it could be in Colorado (though I don't remember any of them checking in for the UnRally, let alone the Pied Piper Tour frown.gif ) or it could be in Texas, we also had a few Okie's checkin' in! clap.gif

It gets kind of fuzzy going back too far in time this early out. Phil and I have taken a load of time off so we can leave whenever, but we're going to be roughing it as much as we can to stretch the funds and days. We're planning on hopefully spending a few days in D.C and also NYC for September 11th before taking the long way home! thumbsup.gif

I'll post a separate thread in Ride Planning for the Pied Piper Logistics so as not to clog this thread up. If you're interested, please chime in here and let's construct a fun trip with fun folks across this beautiful land! clap.gif

AdventurePoser

Aaaargh...you guys are killin' me. This ride sounds like so much fun. Unfortunately, I won't be doing it until I retire, with dates impacted by school attendance! blush.gif

Steve in So Cal

Aaaargh...you guys are killin' me. This ride sounds like so much fun. Unfortunately, I won't be doing it until I retire, with dates impacted by school attendance! blush.gif

Steve in So Cal

Need me to write you an excuse note????? lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Yeeha! Stephen

OK, so how is this gonna work? You actually riding "to" these fine folks neighborhoods, or "close" to these neighbor's hoods?

Like, if we had some Texicans want to tag along, would you actually go so far as to run through Texas to get to the Kansas City area? Or should we meet you somewhere closer to the "crow-flies" line?

Just wondering if you would cruise through the Austin area or farther North like DFW. Or if we would have to meet up in OK or Ark somewhere.

lurker.gif

Are you gonna come to my neck of the woods or do I have to meeet ya in SD. This should be fun.

Phil prolly won't get out of Diamond Springs if they get an early September frost.

"Somewhere in S. Illinois" is really Nashville. Exit 50 on I 64. Not far from Indy. 5 hours east of KC.

I'm open to any of the following. Meeting you on I64 and heading out. Meeting you in Effingham (on I 70) on the way to Indy. Having a stop at our house overnight (meals included). Meeting you somewhere in Indy. or ?????

It is all good. grin.gif

No response from the mile-high crew? I guess I'll be the 1.5-mile-high crew. I will be coming from Nederland, CO (elev. 8200').

Bob

1. I'm pretty upset that I'll miss this due to lack of time off this year.

2. This should actually be Pied Piper II. The 1st Pied Piper for BMWRT.com was a few years back.

That's all. Please drive thru. thumbsup.gif

I am still planning on making the trip out, but cannot be 100% yet. I can meet you in route or meet you there, either way is fine. I wouldn't mind taking the long way around through northern GA and zig zag through some great roads on up to WV.

From Tulsa (the center of the Universe), I could head north for Kansas City or south to TX. Would not mind camping along the way either. I usually pack my "Wilderness Suite" lmao.gif with me when I travel anyway.

Do you plan on slabbing most of the way or taking in some back roads as well?

We're planning on hopefully spending a few days in D.C and also NYC for September 11th before taking the long way home!
Anybody want to go really crazy with us? We're currently planning on going to Nova Scotia after the UN. Come along!

As of today Gar and I are planning on doing this. We can take 3 weeks but are trying to stretch to 4. We'd like to join you all but we might have to slab it to WV so we have time to go on to PA and spend a few days with the folks then take a more sane pace back to CA. If schedules work out we'll tag along if not we'll see you in WV. clap.gif

No response from the mile-high crew? I guess I'll be the 1.5-mile-high crew. I will be coming from Nederland, CO (elev. 8200').

Bob

Bob,

You won't be missing the Frozen Dead Guy festival will you? grin.gif

I can't commit 100% yet as I am still trying to determine what vacation plans I have to eliminate since I have this silly thing called a job. Since I am now going to do the Hill Country Ride, and might be heading to Europe again for a week, I won't make the final call until closer to April. Adding in the Torrey weekends, and maybe a run to see the Redwoods (somethin I really want to do with Couchrocket), it is going to be a tough call but I may eliminate the UNRally because it is really at least a 10 day trip. If I do go, I will catch the band wagon wherever (including here if we are nutty enough to go South).

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

All RIGHT!!! clap.gif

It's ALIVE!!!!!!! grin.gif

It looks like our Asystolic cross country trip:

EKG_Asystole.jpg

Just got CPR'd into some coarse Ventricular Fibrillation:

800px-EKG_VF.jpg

And y'all just shocked it into a Sinus Rhythm! grin.gif

EKGI.png

Okay, maybe not a NORMAL Sinus Rhythm, maybe there'll be a few Premature Atrial Complex's in there! dopeslap.gif (God, I AM a hopeless geek--first the Treo and then THIS! lmao.gif )

800px-PAC.png

So, I don't know about going all the way from San Diego, CA to Brookings, OR to start this thing off (though it does sound like FUN!!! clap.gif ), I just don't think the finances will support it. As far as I'm concerned, Colorado is on the way to anywhere from San Diego, and San Antonio, TX is on the way from there to Kansas City, MO! I'm not sure if we can take the time to go all the way out to DFW on our way from San Antonio to KC, MO, but we'll poll the group and see if they're game! wink.gif

Hey Gleno!

I mentioned that this was a repeat of the original, Pied Piper Tour (it was to the Redmond BMWMOA Rally in 2001, wasn't it?), but the ride tales and pics (if there were that many back then) are all gone off the server. I remember reading the stories and seeing the pics of that ride when I first joined up here, but it's been SO long I would REALLY love to hear the WHOLE story from one of the participants! Please???? smile.gif

Jamie,

How about using San Diego as the So. Cal starting point then heading up to my place. My home can be the gathering point for Northern California and Oregon.

Bob,

No problem. Frozen Dead Guy Days are in March. It gives me my annual freak fix.

As far as I'm concerned, Colorado is on the way to anywhere from San Diego, and San Antonio, TX is on the way from there to Kansas City, MO!

If Colorado is really on the itinerary, I think I can go out on a limb (didn't ask my wife) and offer camping. I have a few acres in the mountains, and the snow should have melted by September.

Bob

Jamie,

How about using San Diego as the So. Cal starting point then heading up to my place. My home can be the gathering point for Northern California and Oregon.

That sounds like a plan, Michael! thumbsup.gif

Jamie, PLEASE don't say "fibrillation"...k? smile.gif
Oooops!! Sorry, Raaaaaan! Must've had a little TIA there for a second and forgot myself. Ooooops!! Dang, I did it again! dopeslap.gif

Glad to see you haven't lost your sense of humor about life! You know, a wise (ass) man once said: that which doesn't kill you forstalls the inevitable . . . or makes you stronger . . . except for that stuff which can actually kill you. grin.gif

Pied Piper Gang: I'm stuck on another 72 hour shift today (that'll make 144 hours of work in ONE week! So y'all better quit yer bitchin'! tongue.gifgrin.gif ) and I'll see if I get a chance to map out a tentative route. I know it'll back up the starting date/time quite a bit, but others can take the shorter route and hook up with the group along the "flat line" (Ooooops, sorry, Ron! dopeslap.gif ) on the way out! grin.gif

TIGTBSMFF!!!!!!!!!! clap.gif

(I miss PaperButt! bncry.gif )

Pied Piper Gang: I'm stuck on another 72 hour shift today (that'll make 144 hours of work in ONE week! So y'all better quit yer bitchin'! tongue.gifgrin.gif ) and I'll see if I get a chance to map out a tentative route.

Quit YER bitchin!!! Caller ID is a wonderful tool when work calls ya know!! Crickey, ya blubber on about my workin' then ya go blubberin' about yer workin'

Would you just quit that place already and move north. Logisitcs would be SO much easier.

Quick get the paddles, charge to 200j and fire one off would ya!

dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

I was looking for a good V-tach strip in the Wiki Commons but they didn't have any. As I may be a Geek (nicer than Nerd, don't you think? grin.gif ), but at least I'm not a THIEF and copywrite violator! blush.giftongue.giflmao.gif

I missed this response:

I wouldn't mind taking the long way around through northern GA and zig zag through some great roads on up to WV.
THAT sounds like a blast! We'll have to see if any of the Georgia aka the Pecan (Pie) Town Crew? ( lmao.gif ) are "In!" because that looks like a much more fun (if sloooooooooow) way to get there! Besides, the last time we rode back there for an El Paseo we got snowed on on the fun roads! frown.gif

From Tulsa (the center of the Universe), I could head north for Kansas City or south to TX. Would not mind camping along the way either. I usually pack my "Wilderness Suite" lmao.gif with me when I travel anyway.

Do you plan on slabbing most of the way or taking in some back roads as well?

Tulsa is on a Bee-line between San Antonio, D-FW and KC, MO. I'm sure we can hook up with you. Leslie and I try to stay off the slab whenever possible, but it looks like this trip might be getting pretty long and unwieldy for a larger group to cross the country off the slab in a reasonable amount of time. My next favorite roads are main secondary roads (Route 66 type) as you sometimes make very good time, but you're not dodging trucks all the way and it's usually a bit more scenic (and sometimes less enforcement wink.gif ).

We also travel with our "wilderness suite" so even when we crash at friends' houses all we need is a corner of a room or garage somewhere. I don't like pitching and striking a tent when we're trying to cover lots of ground, but Les is a pretty rough-and-ready traveler! thumbsup.gif

Plus, we've got LOTS of awesome riding family across the country we'd love to visit on the way out--even if they're NOT coming on the ride! crazy.gif

What we have done with larger groups on other rides is break into two groups. Everyone knows the route and we plan on meeting for a break, lunch or dinner in a designated spot. This has worked well in the past when too many bikes become hard to keep together. Usually works well with people who prefer to take a moderate pace and others who like to see the scenery in a steady blur.

Whatever works for everyone is ok with me, but like you, I do prefer to stay off the slab and see the countryside as much as possible.

maybe a run to see the Redwoods (somethin I really want to do with Couchrocket)

Sounds romantic. thumbsup.gif

Look palooka, like I told ya in Pahrump...No means No.

maybe a run to see the Redwoods (somethin I really want to do with Couchrocket)

Sounds romantic. thumbsup.gif

Look palooka, like I told ya in Pahrump...No means No.

That's not what you said while we were spooning. [/smooch]

Hey count me in! thumbsup.gif

You're going to have to cross the river at St Louis.

LOL Don,

That would make your first part of the ride 50 miles to my house. grin.gif

I'm thinking out some options for myself with balancing my first Un with a promised trip to CA to visit a good riding friend in Bakersfield.

What day are you guys thinking of departing CA for the Pied Piper Run?

My thoughts are shipping my bike to CA riding with my buddy for a few days then riding to the Un with all of you.

It's a long shot but could possibly work lurker.gif

okay just found this; not yet sure of my time available, which has some impact on the route

im guessing my straights route will be through minneapolis and chicago... and then on to ??????

okay just found this; not yet sure of my time available, which has some impact on the route

im guessing my straights route will be through minneapolis and chicago... and then on to ??????

Nashville Illinois for beer and brats. thumbsup.gif

What day are you guys thinking of departing CA for the Pied Piper Run?

Well, it all depends on who's going, where they're meeting up with us and how early folks can leave. Phil and I can leave fairly early, but we can't afford to be on the road for two weeks to get there. We'll have to wait and see how many folks are interested in riding out, where they live, who can provide floor space for the group (or has a h/motel nearby) and who wants to just catch up with us on the route somewhere when we swing back by near their area.

This is sounding like a LOT of fun though! clap.gif

Damn, I'm starting to get jealous that I'm only 200 miles from the venue. frown.gif

Tsk, tsk!!!! You are NOT a crow, therefore; thou shalt NOT ride said motorcycle like one!! Head N, S, E, W first.

wave.gifwave.gifwave.gifwave.gif

Bob,

No problem. Frozen Dead Guy Days are in March. It gives me my annual freak fix.

As far as I'm concerned, Colorado is on the way to anywhere from San Diego, and San Antonio, TX is on the way from there to Kansas City, MO!

If Colorado is really on the itinerary, I think I can go out on a limb (didn't ask my wife) and offer camping. I have a few acres in the mountains, and the snow should have melted by September.

Bob

Bob,

I grew up in Arvada. You can not fool this ole Colorado boy. You will have FRESH snow on the ground where you live by September. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Bob,

I grew up in Arvada. You can not fool this ole Colorado boy. You will have FRESH snow on the ground where you live by September. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Bud:

I spent my first 44 years in Saint Louis; the birthplace of bad weather. In the seven years I've lived here, the earliest snow I have seen was 8" on 09/08/2001.

IF the crew stops by for camping, I will not be able to allow any campfires. We're almost guarantied to have a "burn ban" in effect at that time of year.

Bob

Bud:

I spent my first 44 years in Saint Louis;

Bob

So what High School did you go to? lmao.gif

Don,

That's only funny to someone from St. Louis. lmao.gif

Bob,

Bud:

I spent my first 44 years in Saint Louis; the birthplace of bad weather. In the seven years I've lived here, the earliest snow I have seen was 8" on 09/08/2001.

IF the crew stops by for camping, I will not be able to allow any campfires. We're almost guarantied to have a "burn ban" in effect at that time of year.

Bob

7 years is not long enough to really experience all that Colorado can offer in the way of September weather. I can only say to those who might camp in your back yard to bring a bag rated to -10. thumbsup.gif

so skip the snow and swing by florida and enjoy the hurricanes. ya'll seem to be proficient gale force wind riders. as an added bonus the sept weather will be 90/90...degrees/humidity. leave the gerbings home. lmao.giflmao.gif

I just got a room reservation from Monday night through Thursday night, and would like to meet you somewhere along the way. I will be leaving from the Grand Rapids, Michigan area.

Archived