IGNORED

Sometimes a photo simply says it all.................

Art..

Sometimes....it takes two to tell the whole story. eek.gifeek.gif

gleno8-1.jpg

First off, the whole story to me is silly man in shorts on a sports bike… ouch.

If’n nobody else will represent, than I offer Half Dome Hwy 41, the backdoor to Yosemite

Yos5.JPG

In keeping with the nice views in the thread, this was taken above Crater Lake:

craterlake.jpg

Second, also along the lines of one photo saying it all, I like this one, packed and ready to check out of the hotel for another day's carving. This is everything other than my boxers and the bike itself! thumbsup.gif

hotel.jpg

From my ride thru Oregon to the NW Regional COG rally in Stanley, Idaho this summer. Rode my friend's yellow VFR800 (thanks Steve!). Looking at this pic, I wonder (again!) why I live in a place where the winters typically last 6 months of the year.

770495-IMG_0143GaryonVFR800.jpg.22e048fe3de9540dafa496288c231c6d.jpg

From my ride thru Oregon to the NW Regional COG rally in Stanley, Idaho this summer. Rode my friend's yellow VFR800 (thanks Steve!). Looking at this pic, I wonder (again!) why I live in a place where the winters typically last 6 months of the year.
Hi and welcome, bensonga!! wave.gif

So . . . where would that be exactly, where the winters last 6 months of the year?? wink.gif

770495-IMG_0143GaryonVFR800.jpg

Hi all,

That would be Alaska. Where on average, it starts snowing in early October and local roads aren't rideable again (ie, still encased in packed ice and snow) until April. With the onset of global warming, that has improved a bit from year to year. In fact, a few years ago I was able to get out on my F650 for a short ride in February.

On my ride thru Oregon in July 2006, during a heat wave, my friends were complaining about the 95-105 degree weather...sure felt good to me!

I'm looking forward to more rides throughout the West in the future.

Gary Benson

770949-IMG_0531Gary-VFR77mileswindingroad-2.jpg.6a659f532b4084d34058035774d9f79f.jpg

770949-IMG_0531Gary-VFR77mileswindingroad-2.jpg

Hi Gary!! Well I guess we'll see you in the spring, then!! wave.gif

BTW, if you open your attachment, select the URL in the address bar at the top of the browser window, copy it to your clipboard, then go back and edit your original post within 45 minutes and enclose the URL inside the "image" tags found under the "Instant UBB Code" header right below the text entrty box, it will display as an embedded picture as I just did above. thumbsup.gif

We've had at least one other member from Alaska who has a great eye for photography! If you've got more pics from your beautiful neck o' the woods, don't hold out on us! It's going to be a LONG winter for many folks here on the board! dopeslap.gif

Jamie (KMG_365),

Thanks for the tip on how to embed the picture in an e-mail...I was wondering how that was done! I'll give it a try by sending a picture from the Dust to Dawson 2006 ride. Have you folks heard of that one? Well known on the ADVRider site. My wife and I have gone for the past couple years and will be going again in 2007 on our pair of F650s.

Gary

Here's some of that Alaskan scenery near Sheep Mountain Lodge and the Matanuska Glacier, about 100 miles east of Anchorage on the Glenn "highway". My Glacier Green, 1996 1100RT. It's a fine motorcycle...even on Alaskan roads.

Gary

770977-IMG_3651RTnearSheepMtn09-2005.jpg

770977-IMG_3651RTnearSheepMtn09-2005.jpg.87a52692da0fcc2f5bb16e1f93b98df2.jpg

Myself and some buddies at overlooking Half Dome at Yosemite National Park. June 2005

Shot in rearview mirror...

Parked at a lake off of Ebbetts Pass, Highway 4 in the CA Sierras

770983-Bikeatlake(small).thumb.jpg.951c263ae885b97007857c0ed94c0bf3.jpg

Timba

Very cool!!!!

Where??? For some reason I don't think it's the Hill Country.

Whip

Whip,

Yep, the intersection of Hwy 46 and Bandera Rd is just over the line of hills in the foreground. About once every couple of years the conditions are just right to fill the valley with fog and it's a sight! The sunrises aren't bad either! 88350202-L.jpg

Great idea for a thread. Great photos. Never posted a photo before, so heres my first attempt at it. Taken at Mossyrock state park in Washington last month. My RT and a friends GSXR. Doesn't exactly say it all, but anyways.....

mossyrocks.jpg

Another Dust to Dawson (D2D) rider in 2006. When it's been raining, you might as well call it the "Mud to Dawson" ride.

Gary Benson

Eagle River, Alaska

771302-KulMomonD2DinRain-2.jpg

771302-KulMomonD2DinRain-2.jpg.9affc83c6b82ddea167fd4cfb7773a75.jpg

If you are planning a motorcycle trip to Alaska, be sure to wear all the necessary protective clothing....(see attached).

Photo taken near Chena Hot Springs....not a joke....we were very glad to have the right gear!

Gary Benson

Eagle River, Alaska

934653448_771354-IMG_0775GBKJatChena-1.jpg.f7dd48d29bcaea356a9cbe806333b5cd.jpg

JustKrusen:

I really like those pics of the road up Mt. Evans....is that in Colorado? What time of year were the photos taken? So many places I'd like to ride......

Love that red 1200RT too!

Gary Benson

A friend's side car rig (his wife won't ride in it, but his dog loves it!):

772010-IMG_3634Ron%27sHarleySidecar-3.jpg

2011055910_772010-IMG_3634RonsHarleySidecar-3.jpg.fbd74f45cd2f8dd9a455f4dbd3b11d2f.jpg

Paul Mihalka wrote "Where is this road? I want to ride it!!! Great picture!"

Southeast corner of Washington state, near the Oregon border. WA Highway 129 heading south. At the bottom is the Grande Ronde River and Boggan's Oasis Cafe. When WA 129 crosses the WA-OR border it becomes OR Highway 3.

One of many great roads in that area of the country.

Gary Benson

772245-WAHwy129-BufordGrade-Bonnan%27sOasis.jpg

488158950_772245-WAHwy129-BufordGrade-BonnansOasis.jpg.7bb7ea56b05e4621a6daa35a7a0a97e1.jpg

Paul Mihalka wrote "Where is this road? I want to ride it!!! Great picture!"

Southeast corner of Washington state, near the Oregon border. WA Highway 129 heading south. At the bottom is the Grande Ronde River and Boggan's Oasis Cafe. When WA 129 crosses the WA-OR border it becomes OR Highway 3.

One of many great roads in that area of the country.

Gary Benson

772245-WAHwy129-BufordGrade-Bonnan%27sOasis.jpg

On my trip back to Seattle from fall Torrey 2005, I went that route. I had a totally different route in mind and changed my plans after talking to a guy on a Goldwing at a McDonald's in Boise who told me the "good roads" were on the OR/WA side of Hell's Canyon. It was a wonderful day of riding.

Plenty of room, come on through.....

112601288-L.jpg

Does anyone know where this is?????

If no one gets it I'm gonna have to do another Ride Tale.

Whip

Plenty of room, come on through.....

112601288-L.jpg

Does anyone know where this is?????

If no one gets it I'm gonna have to do another Ride Tale.

BTDT, on Needles Highway in the Black Hills:

10944437-M.jpg

Do the Tale anyway. thumbsup.gif

Joel

I think it should be bikes only...

112600864-L.jpg

Whip

BTW...it will be a short Ride Tale......but I think you'll know some of the places near your home...

Inclimate weather can be a ride enhancer. We caught the end of a storm on the way back to central CA from the Beemer Bash in Quincy. Luckily it was cold enough that the snow simply blew off the road. Note the victory sign with the right hand; all is well.

8943201-M.jpg

We stopped at Bridgeport for gas and dinner (not at the same establishment) and were treated to a cloud laced sunset.

8943203-M.jpg

Right before dark the sun shot up under the cloud cover. It started as a small orange glow, filled out like a bright searchlight for no more than two minutes, then vanished.

8943204-L.jpg

Jackson Lake, head waters of the Snake River at foot of the Grand Tetons. Photo taken in September, 2003 on tour of western states. We visited all 11 states west of the Continental Divide, except AK & HI of course. chrono055.jpg

Archived