IGNORED

Yamaha FJR1300--A Brief Review After 950 Mile Test Ride

David

To be honest, I haven't paid much attention to the Yamaha's FJR 1300. I had seen one in front of a local dealer, and I've scanned the threads here, but not being in the market, I just didn't think much about it. Plus, not being able to test ride them on top of hardly any being available just made me yawn.

Then Chad Hargis, also in Nashville, called me with a strange request. "Want to fly to New York City and get my new FJR? I'll pay all your expenses." His had been wrecked in an unfortunate low side when a friend was testing riding it, but he decided to replace it with another. The only one he could find was just NW of NYC.

I said "sure," needing a ride to clear my head and always enjoying the process of riding a bike totally new to me. So I flew up Friday, where the seller picked me up at Newark. We drove to his home 45 mins NW, made the exchange, and I saddled up and headed out. I think he might have been a little shocked when I thumbed the starter and just drove off the center stand and out the driveway. I'm sure he pictured this yahoo never making it to Nashville. But hey, a bike is a bike, right? smile.gif

First stop was dinner with a bunch of fine folks from BMWSportTouring.com at Giggyboy's restaurant. The purpose was to help Brian in his never ending quest to find friends--we acted like we cared. smile.gif

Then I rode to the PA line and grabbed a hotel. So, 100 miles the first day. I then took the side panel off that night in the hotel parking lot so that I could power up my accessories. I can't ride that far without a fully-equipped cockpit!

cockpit.jpg

Then 525 miles the second day, 200 of which were in the heaviest rain I've ever ridden in (lightening, cars going slow with flashers on, etc.). Cold, wet, tired, and in the dark, I figured it was time to pack it in. So I finished up the last 325 miles this morning. So 950 miles total, dry and wet, day and night, interstate and twisties. It was a fair test, and here are some thoughts.

Most of these thoughts are in comparison to the K12RS/GT, though obviously it could be compared to the ST1300. I've ridden four different K12's over hundreds of miles, but I don't own one. So keep that in mind if you have a different, perhaps more informed perspective--like you own one. grin.gif

A Few Specs to Start

These don't define a bike, but here are just a few.

• Re-tuned R-1 engine, I'm told. This is tuned to produce 145 HP and 99 ft. lbs. of torque. If you don't know what that means, you soon find out if you ever ride one. smile.gif
  • Fuel-injected traditional inline-four.
  • Weighs 535 lbs. dry or ca. 580 wet.
  • Holds 6.60 gallons.
  • Five speed transmission.
  • Shaft drive, with center stand, and electrically adjustable windscreen.

It's a sport-tourer with an emphasis on sport.

Power

Well, let's just say that there's a lot of power. At first I thought my ST4s had more snap, but then I discovered that I wasn't running it in the right range. The motor redlines at 9,000 on the gauge, but the electronic rev limiter doesn't kick in until 10,100 (and it is harsh, unfortunately). It'll pull in any gear above 2,500, but 4,500-8,000 is where it really likes to be.

You see a hole way up there that you'd like to thread? Telegraph it to your right wrist and you are there, and I mean right now. From 80-110 mph takes what feels like 3 seconds, though I didn't time it.

Measured top speed is 168, as I recall (I couldn't find the stat). And I believe it. I popped to 135 on a back country straight before running out of road, and it was still pulling like a tractor.

Now the part that really confused me. How to describe the feeling. To me, the K12 has an engine, and a very smooth one at that. The ST1300 has a turbine, in sound and feeling. It goes whoosh and you start sniffing for kerosene on the airport apron. But the FJR is a motor, and what I really mean is an electric motor.

Have you ever been around big electric motors? There's a distinct vibration. Better yet, picture a golf cart with a 145 HP engine in it. The throttle control on the FJR is very much like a rheostat under your right foot, except with torque and power everywhere--just dial it in. And the vibration, which you feel at every speed, transmits that motor power through the pegs, grips, and seat. It's not a bad vibration, but you feel it. Coupled with the sound of the twin pipes, it's visceral. At speed, it's uncanny, since you can't hear the motor or pipes anymore (with earplugs in), so you stay in touch through your hands and legs and butt. It's like riding a very powerful stallion while deaf.

There's so much power that it can be difficult to modulate while leaned over. In the transition from neutral to positive power (e.g., at the apex), it's easy to get too much power dialed in.

The K12 is built as a package. The FJR is built around the engine, and its worthy to sit on center stage.

Stability/Handling

Have you experienced any instability on the K12, especially in the dirty air found behind large trucks? There's none, zilch, nada on the FJR. It was stable at every speed, in every condition (Metzler 4 tires front and back).

I did find that the bike tended to "fall into" lower speed turns, and having lots of miles on these tires, I don't believe it's a tire issue. Above about 25-30 mph, there's is no "falling" or "resistance to falling"--everything is balanced. It felt like the frame geometry assumes a certain gyroscopic effect above a certain speed. If I hadn't looked up the rake at 26 degrees and the trail at 4.3 inches, I would have guessed a steeper rake and less trail. Having said that, above that speed, steering is beautifully neutral and very stable, even at very high speeds.

Clearance appears to be exceptional. Since it wasn't my bike, I tried to not abuse it (you reading this, Chad? smile.gif), but I did wear the front and rear past the tread marks. It would be the easiest thing in the world to run the front and rear all the way to the edges. It inspires loads of confidence, and I didn't come close to a peg feeler, though I touched a boot down several times. The right side is more worn than the left because of those handy interstate exits.

Tight, sharp turns are unbelievably comfortable.

Ergos

This is the best surprise of the bike (besides the power that rips your arms out of their sockets). The pegs are set back a bit in a very comfortable sporty-ish riding position. I like it very much. Some people won't.

The bars are forward--just a bit more than an RT without barbacks, and not nearly as much as a K12. It feels wonderful. If anything, I could use a teeny bit more forward lean. The bars are low and wide. Very, very comfortable. I'd never ridden one, and did all those miles with no discomfort at all.

The grips have a rearward sweep that is about 5 degrees too much, in my opinion.

The first picture is from the side in a sport riding position, and the second is in a more relaxed cruising position.

ergosport.jpg

ergocruise.jpg

Leg room is excellent. I suspect you'd have to start thinking about running out of room if you have a 34" inseam or longer--in other words, you'd want to sit on the bike first. For reference, I'm 190 lbs, 5'11", and with a 32 inch inseam.

The seat is fairly narrow, and the bike feels a lot lower than the 31.7 inch seat height. And the weight is so low that the bike feels like a toy. Very easy to throw around, at speed or stopped. Seat is comfortable, by the way, just like on the K12.

The tank cutout is too high to "lock" your foot in between the tank and the peg while hanging off.

Ride

Front is adjustable for preload, compression damping, and rebound damping. Rear has a two-position preload setting and is adjustable for rebound damping. Personally I feel like they should have provided more adjustability for rear preload.

The bike was set up with too much compression damping, but I didn't change it, figuring it would be about right for Chad.

Ride was good to excellent. It handling transition bumps well, but tended to lose it's way at times on high speed edges. It wasn't as compliant as I would have liked, but the suspension is good enough that I'd leave it OEM.

Brakes

Not much to say about these except that they are excellent. This bike has ABS and no linking (thank goodness). I was able to active the rear ABS easily. I was never able to activate the front on public roads, though I'm sure it would be possible in a parking lot.

You'd be surprised at how little front end dive there is. Maybe they did something to the front suspension, but it's not bad at all.

The foot peddle is too high. I didn't look to see if it was adjustable.

Bottom line: I love the brakes. Very easy to modulate. Always enough stopping power. Great feel.

Windshield/Protection

They might as well have not put an electric motor on that thing, because I only liked it in the full down position (where it goes every time you shut off the key). And in that position, the airflow is superb. Smooth. No buffeting. Hits you in the perfect place: upper chest. But as soon as you move it up, the buffeting begins, moving swiftly to sucking you forward. I suspect it's because it sits so far ahead of the rider. If I had an FJR, though, I'd have good earplugs and would do nothing to the screen. The airflow is superb.

screendown.jpg

screenup.jpg

Clutch/Transmission

The (hydraulic) clutch pull is a bit hard--they all seem to be.

Transmission is good, though I think it needs a sixth gear. Not because it really does, but because it feels like it does. The engine is turning 5,000 at 87 mph actual, and you keep looking for another gear. (Speedo reads about 2 mph too fast.)

Gauges/Switchgear

gauges.jpg

The turn signals are big and bright, which is good during the day, but they are way too bright at night. You almost lose your night vision.

The gauges look great, but the numbers on the speedo are too small.

The headlight needs a high beam flasher thingy. Currently it only has a low/high setting.

Range

I never got less than 200 miles before the last bar, and cruising at 85-95 mph I got an average of 44 mpg. What a great range that makes, eh?

Heat?

Heat? What heat? I felt it, but it didn't bother me, and I rode in stop and go NJ traffic with the fans running in the mid-eighties. Another bike issue (like surging) that gets blown out of proportion. I'd never give a second thought to the heat thing. If it bothers you, there are all sorts of after market solutions. In stop and go and 100 degree ambient temperatures, it would be annoying without a shield (which would cost just dollars), but I find that the heat thrown off by the K12 fans to be more annoying than the frame heat on the FJR. Yeah, it shouldn't be there, but it's not a deal breaker.

Other

Lighting. It's bright and well sprayed. Cutoff is too severe and low, though. When cornering at night it's easy to find yourself in the dark. The headlight is really wonderful, but you'd need auxiliary lighting for back roads stuff.

Throttle. It has too much slop before it rolls on. But the resistance is perfect and once it engages, the pull is smooth.

Bags. Large and very well-built. Full face helmet's fit. The pipes are below both bags, so no space is lost. The latch system isn't hard to figure out, but it seems mickey mouse. Not the solid feel of BMW bags opening and closing. But the bike looks great with or without them on.

bags.jpg

Glove Compartment. There's a small one on the side, though the bike has to be in neutral with the key on to open it. Huh? It holds a cell phone and wallet, and it doesn't leak, either. smile.gif

glove.jpg

Mirrors. Perfect. Excellent field of view, and steady as a rock at any speed.

mirror.jpg

Why You Might Want a K12 Instead

I think the K12 is a great bike, and in comparing them, here are the things I'd put at the top of the list to sway me toward the BMW:

First, you get to take a test ride. That's cool.

Second, there's a BMW dealer network out there with generally good knowledge and support.

Third, the integrated cruise control is just great. There are after market solutions for the FJR, by the way, but I suspect they are not the same.

Fourth, the K12 is a proven performer. There are no surprises.

Fifth, the build quality on the BMW is probably a tad higher, though the FJR is no slouch.

Finally

Why is this bike winning awards? Because it should. It's a world superbike in sheep's clothing. It's a better bike than the K12, all things considered. It might not be a better bike for you, but this is a bike that BMW needs to learn from. Light, powerful, comfortable, and thousands of dollars cheaper. This is a bike you could ride 1,000 miles Thursday and still do pushups and situps in your hotel room. You could kick some serious ass in the twisties on Friday. You could take your SO for a ride on Saturday and both of you would be happy. And then smoke two-thirds of the bikes at a track day on Sunday. It's comfortable, it's powerful, and I think it's a new definition for sport touring

Over and out.

profilerear.jpg

profilefront.jpg

Great write-up. Thanks.

Hopefully this bike will be a wakeup call to BMW that the sport touring world is changing rapidly. I think this is the best sport tourer on the market right now, and if I was buying new, I'd head to a Yamaha dealer. Of which, BTW, there are more to chose from.

Having said that, there's no way I'm parting with my RT after years of tweeking it to my riding style and needs. It's still a great bike.

yellowducati900ss

Quick Corrections. I couldn't finish the article this morning before going to work but so far you are right on the money except:

Top speed is about 150 (Speedo on my '03 is spot on with GPS). Without a 6th gear it winds out in 5th and runs out of gear about there.

The engine is NOT a retuned R1. They call it "R1 Inspired". It is a totally different engine but it has many of the design characteristics as the R1.

Great Write-up so far!

BTW, I've had an RT for 20k miles last year and I have put 10k miles on my FJR since I got it in March. cool.gif

Top speed is about 150 (Speedo on my '03 is spot on with GPS). Without a 6th gear it winds out in 5th and runs out of gear about there.

Uhmm. I'll have to find the review with the measured top speed higher than that...or scrub my memory. smile.gif

The engine is NOT a retuned R1. They call it "R1 Inspired". It is a totally different engine but it has many of the design characteristics as the R1.

Thanks for that correction, too. Guess I should actually have read some reviews. smile.gif Now that I think about it, I believe I was confusing the FZ-1. And what you are saying would make perfect sense of the torque numbers. I haven't read an R-1 review, either, but I would guess that the power would be high but the torque would be nowhere near this. BTW, it's 99 ft. lbs. (at 7,000 rpm), but still 145 hp (at 8,000). I've corrected it above.

BTW, I've had an RT for 20k miles last year and I have put 10k miles on my FJR since I got it in March. cool.gif

When you get a chance, read the whole thing and add more thoughts.

Excellent ride report David but I was a little disappointed you didn’t add how well the FJR did burnouts and wheelies back at Gig’s restaurant Friday night (Great pics and captions by Dr. Zim) grin.gif

Last November, in my pre-Busa incarnation, I also did a ride review on the FJR with a slightly different tact, comparing it to my then 1100 RT. The FJR 1300 – The RT you have been waiting for?

This was the first year FJR, differences being no ABS and a slightly smaller windscreen, maybe some other minor stuff, but basically the same machine.

In re-reading my old report, it was interesting to see that David and I got a similar read on the bike. It was also interesting how much I’ve changed as a rider, as I now prefer a more forward lean position and a stronger suspension.

One day I’d like to go back and take another test ride on an FJR to see if my riding perceptions have changed since riding the Hayabusa.

But since I did say Hayabusa I have to gratuitously add that as impressed as David and I were with the tune-it-in power of the FJR – The Hayabusa takes that to a whole new level. cool.gif

And last, but not least, as great as the FJR is -- the Hayabusa (like the RT) has one little thing I found lacking in the FJR -- character.

But character or not, if one day I were to regain my sanity -- and get a touring bike actually designed for touring -- the FJR would definitely be on my short list.

Yes, Michael, it is a little uncanny to see how similar our comments were. You must have copied from mine. grin.gif

It was fun to reread that entire thread. I find it interesting how some BMW riders just can't stand seeing positive comments about another brand.

The reason this board is called BMWSportTouring.com is because no other motorcycle brand gets "sport touring" like BMW. Not because there aren't better bikes out there. But one of the things I like about this place is that we are not (generally) blinded by a brand but are rather more objective.

One question I would have about this bike is dealer support. There are many more Yamaha dealers in the U.S. than there are BMW dealers (the Yamaha website shows 10 in the Chicago area). But because the FJR is a low-production special order model, how many dealers (and dealer's mechanics) will have actually seen one? And how many dealers will stock parts for a bike that they might have sold one or two of, if that? Not that BMW dealers don't have stocking problems, but most of them have at least seen an RT or a KRS at some point.

If your BMW breaks down in Bismarck ND, you've got about a 300 mile tow to the nearest BMW dealer. But will the Yamaha dealer in Bismarck be able to get your FJR back on the road any faster if he has to order a bunch of parts? Don't know.

Of course, maybe the FJR won't break and you'll never need parts.

On the other hand, Yamaha has its parts catlog on line on its website so you can figure out what you need without having to depend on the nitwits at the parts counter.

At 535 pounds, I think that makes it 80 pounds lighter than the 1150RT. Add to that the unlinked brakes and a lower center of gravity and that makes it pretty tempting.

Trouble is, every time I take a long ride I'm reminded that the RT's virtues outweigh its faults by a lot. I rode an 800 Interceprtor and was mightily impressed, but unsure if the seating position can be set back enough for my taste.

Can anyone advise on the list price of the 1300? I think they are offered without bags, which are about a $1,000 option.

Joe Frickin' Friday
But because the FJR is a low-production special order model, how many dealers (and dealer's mechanics) will have actually seen one?

If your BMW breaks down in Bismarck ND, you've got about a 300 mile tow to the nearest BMW dealer. But will the Yamaha dealer in Bismarck be able to get your FJR back on the road any faster if he has to order a bunch of parts?

Worth noting too that with the prevalence of BMW oilheads on the road, with the MOA's Anonymous book in hand, you can probably find someone within acoupla miles of any given location who knows the innards of your bike and may even be willing to let you cannibalize their personal bike in order to quickly get you back on the road...

yellowducati900ss

Read the whole review and I'd say it was pretty spot on.

A couple more corrections and comments. These are corrections for my '03 FJR. I am pretty sure the '04 will be the same...

• The rear brake lever IS adjustable.
  • You CAN do rebound damping on the rear shock. You have to get down and reach under the shock but it is there.
  • The hard-soft on the rear suspension is only a "helper spring". On the '03 you put it on HARD all the time and leave it. That is why they improved the suspension on the '04's
  • There IS heat but it only becomes a problem above 95 degrees. It is NOT a problem if you wear full gear except that mesh pants may be a problem because it lets the heat through.
  • Bags... They get the nod over the BMW bags for only 1 reason. They fit a full face helmet. Other than that I agree that they are a bit lower quality (except that they are painted). The system works but it is harder to use than BMW. It is less, Mickey-Mouse than the ST1300's bags BTW.

My Observations...

Speed:

hth_ibi_gps.jpg

Beauty:

fjr_view.jpg

And 26,600 mile valve adjustments... cool.gif

Otherwise you hit it pretty much on the head with the positives.

Negatives include a 490 watt alternator. I have heard the ABS alternator puts out more but I don't know for sure...

One question I would have about this bike is dealer support.

I agree entirely. That's why "dealer" support made my list of the top six reasons you might want a K12 anyway. And not only dealer support, but an online community that really delves into the mechanical side of things (like Vic's site and our K section, to a lesser extent).

The valve adjustment interval is very high, so you won't need a dealer very often. And I believe Chad's been doing all his own maintenance anyway.

Talking specifically about the RT, maintenance is easier but it needs a lot more of it.

Otherwise you hit it pretty much on the head with the positives.

Negatives include a 490 watt alternator. I have heard the ABS alternator puts out more but I don't know for sure...

Thanks for the corrections and notes. I left a few things off, too, that were on the other side of my napkin:

/It starts beautifully. Thumb the starter and it surges to life instantly at 2,000 rpm. When it's warm, it drops to 1,000. There's no fast idle button. It's electronic.

/The seller was a very avid rider, having owned an RT quite a while. I spoke with his wife, and she thinks the FJR is the most comfortable bike she's ever been on. They just finished a 600 mile day. I realize that's subjective, though.

/I found the bike to be difficult to get on the center stand, though eventually I started to get the hang of it. You almost have to face rearward and use a lot of foot pressure.

/Protection in the rain is excellent. The little fairing around your legs, if you tuck them in, does very well even without rain gear.

/I didn't find the clutch to be particularly smooth. Just a little grabby.

Comparing more stats on the K12 (yes, I know stats aren't everything), FJR vs. K12

Measured top speed: 153 vs 155 mph (it's not faster--just get's up to that speed faster).

0-60: 2.97 vs. 3.88 seconds.

0-100: 6.84 vs. 8.20 seconds.

Braking distance, 60-0 mph: 118 vs. 115 ft. (they've upgraded the brakes since then).

Wet Weight: 637 vs. 628 (it's not lighter--just feels a lot lighter).

Hiya, David -

I am an Administrator over on the FJR forum, and I thought I'd pop over to say that's a completely excellent writeup. You nailed most everything correctly.

To the best of knowledge, all 2003 models, and all 2004 standard models have the 490-watt, oil-cooled alternators.

Re: alternator output. The 2004 FJR1300 Supplemental Manual does not distinguish between the standard and ABS model with regard to alternator output, i.e., it suggests the ABS model is 490-watts also. Yet we are still hearing conflicting reports out of Yamaha Cypress with regard to the ABS model's rated alternator capacity.... some of the folks in the Technical Division claim that Yamaha did, in fact, boost the ABS model by about 5 amps, or so. I still have no confirmation one way or the other about this, and have yet to tear into the bike that far to try to ascertain myself.

490-watts is a little lean for serious Iron Butt running, but is workable if one monitors the voltmeter while underway.

I've had my FJR for about 5 weeks, and have 5000 miles on it. It is everything I wanted the ST1300 to be.... blistering fast, ultra stable at 130+mph, and leaves most other sport-touring rigs in the dust:

Day1.jpg

Again, excellent write-up!

The K12RS comparo seems obvious. The K-motor is the best BMW has to go against the FJR.

But what about the RT? Assuming I'm OK with the power output of the boxer. Is the tele/paralever setup no longer a benefit? Comfort?

I guess a lot of that is subjective, but I'm curious of your impressions none the less. Remember back, back when you used to ride the RT. wink.gif

I am an Administrator over on the FJR forum, and I thought I'd pop over....

Welcome! You look like a big enough guy that I guess we'll be real nice to you! grin.gif The "Warchild" name does confirm it, too.

Thanks for the link to the forum. I've never visited. I'm going to go work out first, and then take a picture. smile.gif

The alternator point leads to another: why didn't they include an accessory socket? Fortunately, it takes 30 mins to add one.

Thanks for your time telling us about your impressions, David. I saw an FJR parked outside at my local espresso shop just a few weeks ago and had a chance to talk to the new owner. He had just bought it that week and had less than a thousand miles on it. It looked very nice from an ergo and layout perspective. Awwww, who'm I trying to fool here.

She looked hot. I wanted her right there.

When I got home, I felt a little guilty as I entered my garage and cast a loving eye on my sweet ole RT, plugged into the maintenance charger, waiting for her next ride. When I left the dealership with her four years ago, I swore to love, honor, and cherish her, until one of us could no longer ride. That's still the plan, but if she is ever stolen, or her tranny grenades, or hmmmnnnn . . .

Well, if I was to replace my RT today, It would be with an FJR. No question. I want to have that motor.

The dealer network issue is a non-issue to me. I no longer let dealers do any work on my RT, and my Honda has never seen the inside of a dealer since the day I laid eyes on her, and probably never will. It's not a money thing, or even a service quality thing, although both are involved. It's just the combination of everything required to be sure that my rides run better than new. I need to be sure of it by doing it myself.

FWIW, my local Honda dealership (who seem like reasonably good guys) is also my local Yamaha dealer, and I've never seen an FJR on the floor or an ST1300 for that matter.

All I can say is that it's a good thing that I'm saving money to put my sons through college, and spending all the rest on my house. If not, that FJR might be a bit too tempting.

Three days from now, my RT and I will be on our way to Torrey! As Russell says: "Woo Hoo"!

One question I would have about this bike is dealer support.

Having a BMW and a Suzuki Hayabusa, I'd say that the dealer support for Japanese bikes is much better than for BMW's. This is especially true when touring.

The dealer network is much larger -- dealers practically everywher-- without the very large "holes" in the BMW network.

And even though the dealers may not see many FJR's, the engines from one model to another are very similar, and working on these bikes is not very difficult. And, as has been pointed out, not very much goes wrong with them -- very different from the tempermental twins. Usually all need is need basic service, tires, etc. (In 24K miles on two Hayabusas --other than routine service, the only thing I needed was a battery replacement.)

Back to the dealer network..When I took my 8,000 mile Cross Country trip, there was always A NUMBER of Suzuki dealer within miles whenever I needed something. At home, there's a Suzuki/Yamaha/Honda/Kawi shop five minutes from where I live, and the service is as good as I've had at any BMW dealer.)

As far as stocking parts is concerned, could it be any worse than with a BMW dealer? If they don't have something in stock, most everything can be had in three days, or ovenight if you're willing to pay extra.

I don't want this to sound like I'm critizing BMW service, I'm not. I just want to clear up some common misconceptions about Japanese bike service. I'm very happy with the fellow who works on my BMW, and while he is an independent, he is BMW factory trained and was a former service manager for a local BMW dealership.

But what about the RT? Assuming I'm OK with the power output of the boxer. Is the tele/paralever setup no longer a benefit? Comfort?

I've always been a kinda believer in the telelever setup because it tends to eliminate some of the front-end dive and because it smooths out the bumps nicely. On the downside, it adds weight and removes some of the feedback that I enjoy. It's clearly a distinction, but what does it do, and why do I want that done? All things being equal, I'd like a telelever, but it's not a deal breaker.

And the paralever--what does that do again? Looks like an answer searching for a solution. smile.gif

In terms of comfort, I'd say that the FJR is a more comfortable bike than the RT, but that's really a statement about how my body likes to sit: slightly more forward than the RT. And I'm also wanting more clearance enough to be willing to have my legs back a bit. If you have a bad knees, you'll tire sooner on the FJR.

I guess a lot of that is subjective, but I'm curious of your impressions none the less. Remember back, back when you used to ride the RT. wink.gif

Yeah, I do remember that. smile.gif Now it's our two-up bike for when Julie wants to ride, and it was the bike I took to Mexico a few months back. It's a good bike and it's beautiful. I'm dissatisfied with some aspects of it simply because I've changed personally in what I want from a bike.

Overall I think the RT is a fantastic machine. I'm hoping that BMW makes it even "fantasicer" with more power and less weight and so on.

Excelent article David, as usual.

A question:

Compared to the boxer, for someone wishing to learn and do his own wrenching, how much more difficult or complex is the FJR? The Boxer by its cylinder sticking out does seem better, but this is from my severly uninformed point of view.

Thanks,

Juan

Hey Juan, how's married life. wink.gif I don't want to jump ahead or read between any lines, but yeah...the FJR would make an EXCELLENT bike for you and your new bride. Lighter and easier to manueve than the RS and better set up for touring and I think a lower CG. Plus they're a lot less expensive than the the RS. What was your question again? Oh yeah...service...Japanese bikes don't need any service and the normal maintance (changing oil) is easy. cool.gif

One other issue with non-BMW bikes, and Japanese bikes in particular. My understanding of Japanese manufacturers is that they do not keep producing parts for their bikes after approximately 7 years. Therefore, if you were going to keep a bike for more than 7 years, you should buy a BMW.

Put it this way, if your 1985 BMW breaks down, you can get a new part for it within a few days. If your 1985 Japanese bike breaks down, you may not be able to get a part -- period!

I'll admit that I have no first hand knowledge with parts availability for Japanese bikes. So if I'm wrong, PLEASE correct me. I'm only relaying what I've heard and do not want to perpetuate a myth. Still, I believe it to be true. And, I know for a fact that BMW has made a very strong committment to continuously producing parts for every bike they've ever made.

One other issue with non-BMW bikes, and Japanese bikes in particular. My understanding of Japanese manufacturers is that they do not keep producing parts for their bikes after approximately 7 years. Therefore, if you were going to keep a bike for more than 7 years, you should buy a BMW.

Put it this way, if your 1985 BMW breaks down, you can get a new part for it within a few days. If your 1985 Japanese bike breaks down, you may not be able to get a part -- period!

I'll admit that I have no first hand knowledge with parts availability for Japanese bikes. So if I'm wrong, PLEASE correct me. I'm only relaying what I've heard and do not want to perpetuate a myth. Still, I believe it to be true. And, I know for a fact that BMW has made a very strong committment to continuously producing parts for every bike they've ever made.

I know for a fact that that's not true. I've watched a friend ordering parts for her '89 Honda GB500, and I know Connie owners order parts for bikes older than 7 years (a friend had a little incident with his.) At the same time, a guy needing to fix up his older KZ440 had no problem ordering parts; he was having lead-time issues he wasn't happy about.

On the other hand, contrary to mjames's assertion that they're no worse than others, neither has been able to get even common parts from stock, both being rare bikes (I think his test would be better if the Hayabusa wasn't a popular bike from Suzuki.) More often than not, I have no problems getting parts from stock for my '90 K75 at my BMW dealer. It helps that there are so few differences across BMW's models to differentiate their parts.

Greg

So if I'm wrong, PLEASE correct me.

No offense taken or intended, but I do think you are off the mark here.

My ride prior to my '99 RT was a '76 Kawasaki KH400 2-stroke, which I had the pleasure of working on almost almost daily. wink.gif

Now if any bike isn't likely to live very long, it's a 2-stroke street bike.

When I sold it, it had almost 50K miles on it, and I was still able to get parts at any Kawasaki dealer, many times in stock! shocked.gif

Some of the prices seemed excessive, considering the value of the bike, but I could still get a brand new tank, factory painted to match the original, for $450! Try that with BMW! Ignition parts, carb kits, throttle and clutch cables, sprockets, clutch, all were easily available for a bike that was almost 25 years old.

Kawasaki is the smallest of the big four Japanese manufacturers. I assume that the others stock parts as well, or better, than Kawasaki.

On the other hand, contrary to mjames's assertion that they're no worse than others, neither has been able to get even common parts from stock

My experience with my RT and K75 was that the BMW dealers also frequently didn't carry even "common" parts in stock. Maybe this is just a reality/trend with dealers now. In general, it's probably easier to get parts for Japanese bikes versus BMW's, for the simple reason that more of them are made each year. There are lots of reasons to get a BMW, but it's not necessary to justify the decision by unfairly slamming Japanese bikes and their service. (This is not in reference to any one person but just to a general sense of misinformation you get about Japanese bikes from many who have never owned them.)

Along with the dealer support question, I was wondering if Yamaha has a roadside assistance program like the Honda Riders Club, etc. If so, does anyone have experience with it? My experiences with the HRC were just plain awful, although plenty of people will attest to their wonderfulness... laugh.gif

As the British "Bike" magazine said when comparing the GT, FJR, RT and ST1300,

"..if you want a fast tourer the FJR's the winner. If you want to go slower, buy the 1150RT. And if you know you want a Pan, then you'll buy one anyway".

The testers never really got to grips with the GT and did not like it.

When I inquired about an FJR at my local multi-brand dealer I was told that they had already taken deposits from 3 prospective buyers. They had no idea if they would even get one bike. crazy.gif They must really be in short supply.

Years back, getting parts for my '85 Magna was hit and miss. Some where easy. Some were just expensive. And some weren't made anymore. They did have a service where they would FAX dealers parts lists, and if a dealer had old inventory with that part in it they would send it along. A nice idea IMHO.

Some parts for the '75 KZ we had are harder to get, I'm told. Things like the oil drain plug, the oil filter bolt. Pretty basic stuff.

Can't comment on BMW, but they do seem to have more of a following.

When I inquired about an FJR at my local multi-brand dealer I was told that they had already taken deposits from 3 prospective buyers. They had no idea if they would even get one bike. They must really be in short supply.

Well, they're available by the Priority Delivery Program only. Dealers apparently aren't allowed (supposed) to order any to stock. So, when they show up, it's usually people backing out from orders. There are mentions on occasion of dealers who have some in their showrooms.

It seems kind of goofy to me, but if the volumes on these sport-touring bikes are as low as I've read, then I guess they figured there wouldn't be much lowered exposure this way.

If BMW's new lines don't succeed in getting competitive performance-wise, I wonder if all BMW's couldn't end up going that direction... (I say, knowing I don't need to go any faster that I often find myself going.)

Greg

yellowducati900ss
Excelent article David, as usual.

A question:

Compared to the boxer, for someone wishing to learn and do his own wrenching, how much more difficult or complex is the FJR? The Boxer by its cylinder sticking out does seem better, but this is from my severly uninformed point of view.

Thanks,

Juan

RT Maint. vs. FJR Maint. (Ease and time)

• Engine Oil: Same
  • Shaft Oil: Same
  • Tranny Oil: FJR Easier (it has none wink.gif )
  • Valves: FJR harder but probably not 3.5 times harder (6k vs 26.6k miles). Besides, RT is a PITA if you had the engine guards
  • Plugs: FJR harder but not by much, it is a 20 minute job
  • Battery Maint: About the same, both somewhat of a PITA
  • Brake/clutch fluid/pads: Same
  • Clutch Replacement: FJR Much easier
  • Rear Tire Assembly: About the same, I never did get a good hang of getting that "spacer" thing lined up with the holes and the lug bolts, Never could figure out why they didn't put regular lugs or at least guides on the rear wheels to get them lined up better... confused.gif

I have never had to change headlight bulbs on either so I don't know about that.

BTW, my girlfriend feels more comfortable on the FJR than the RT. Go figure...

Put it this way, if your 1985 BMW breaks down, you can get a new part for it within a few days.

I wish BMW Germany knew about that. I recently needed a new part for the gearbox on my 7-year-old RT. After 5 weeks of waiting, with no ETA, BMW Germany finally admitted they couldn't find a factory that would produce the part for them. And with the failure rate of M94 gearboxes I would have thought the intermediate shaft would be a stock item at many dealers. OTOH they would sell me a factory reconditioned M97 gearbox for about 50% of the total value of the bike.

That experience is one of the main reasons my next bike will almost certainly not be a BMW, and will most likely be an FJR. Depending on colour choice (I quite like the blue one) and ABS choice delivery here is from stock to about 3 weeks. Unfortunately the price is only about $US1500 less than an equivalent RT, but I can probably live with that. Over a 7-year maintenance period it'll probably end up being much cheaper.

Geez, DCB, did you have to do a writeup on the FJR and attract Warchild to this DB? And we gotta have that picture of him in his bike shorts inflicted upon us?

Actually, I think that was posted by an imposter, because it's much too reasoned and polite to be posted by the Dale some of us know and, uh, love. grin.gif

Hi David,

Thanks for your review on FJR… However, my ride on a new ’04 FJR w/abs was one of the worst rides I’ve ever had on a bike!!!

You may remember the road out of Payson heading back to Phoenix. It’s a nice 4 lane divided hwy with sweepers that can be taken in the triple digits! That’s where I started my ride and I rode about 45-50 miles down to the point where you stopped to take a few photos of the large saguaro’s.

The first down hill curves I was doing around 90 mph, I felt the handlebars were way too high and spaced so close together. It made the bike feel like it was harder to lean over, unless I used some body steering. O.K. so you have to steer this bike a little different… I passed the boyz and motioned them I wanted to ride it longer and took off… Al took off after me, I let him pass as I had NO RADAR, then I poured on the speed to catch him. I hit 120 and the bike came alive…NOT in a good way! The vibration in the handlebar, seat and foot pegs make you wake up and wonder if this bike is coming apart or what! My hands were numb after about 15-20 seconds of holding onto the bars. I thought, well I’ll just go faster and see if it goes away… NOPE now the windscreen was bouncing up & down and the vibs seem to get worse so I backed off the throttle.

Next I’m some sweet fast sweepers, I try to forget about the vibrations and lean into them around 120mph. Whooooo the front wheel feels so light, like it’s not even contacting the ground, my heart in my throat! blush.gif

I slow to maybe 100-105 and now I have lost all confidence in this bike. The boyz are now out of sight and I screaming in my helmet this bike sucks big time! I want my bike back! frown.gif

I turn the throttle to take chase, trying to keep the bike around 115 mph so the vibs won’t make my hands go numb, I’m on a long down hill straight, there’s a large profile truck in the right lane and the dirty air from it makes the bikes’ light front end toss it head back and forth…

I told Dave (his FJR) that I didn’t know how those rice dealers could sell any bikes without giving a test ride first… because if I spent my money on that bike and it vibrated bad enough to make my hands go numb and it doesn’t give you any confidence at all, it would be headed over some cliff…

On another note... Earlier that same day, I got to test ride a new (1,500 miles) VFR800 w/abs and I LOVED IT!

I was riding it around 125mph leaned over in some downhill curves when I caught sight of a patrol car’s blinking light rack on the side of the road just in the apex of the curve. I pulled the bike up and HIT THE ABS!!! It has a digital speedo and it went from 125 to 62mph in a heart beat, so controlled, never missing a beat. Also the road had lots of tar snakes and it just rode over them without being up-set at all, even while being leaned over! I can’t believe I could like a rice bike first time out but I did! Why, if I had the money (My buddy is selling it, he’s moving to Hawaii) his new VFR would be in my garage today. However it still wouldn’t take the place of MY RS!

I don’t think I would EVER purchase a bike if I couldn’t take it for a nice long test ride first. When I first Demo'd the K12rs they gave it to us and we put over 300+ miles on it that day, with speeds in the 140 mph range! Two weeks later there were two K12’s in my GARAGE... Here’s a picture of Angie on that first demo ride back in Nov of 1997. We call it The “LOVE AT FIRST RIDE” picture… Just looking at that pretty yellow checkerboard RS… you must admit the FJR has NO LOOKS AT ALL!!! It’s sorta ugly with it’s pointy “Spock looking” lines. And the colors they offer must be from a left over paint sale… tongue.gif

Flame ON BOYZ! grin.gif

Shelley cool.gif

248653-AngieDemo.jpg.fc17a244545e566292f13152441fa891.jpg

You must admit the FJR has NO LOOKS AT ALL!!! It’s sorta ugly with it’s pointy “Spock looking” lines. And the colors they offer must be from a left over paint sale… tongue.gif

I do remember that section of road, Shelley. smile.gif I think I was chasing Al and you, and was scraping bad things at over 100 on my RT. Not good.

What can I say. It's odd how our experiences were so different on the FJR. I road the bike in turns at over 100 quite a few times, and experienced zero instability. And you know that K12 instability behind trucks that you are always whining about ? grin.gif None of that either. You really must stay on your meds before test riding bikes.

Now about the looks. I agree that the K12 is a beautiful bike. Must nicer looking than the FJR, to me, anyway. But at every stop on the way back from NYC--and I do mean every stop--at least one person came up to me with a big "wow" as they looked it over.

So I don't know what sort of water you AZ folks are drinking, but I hope you haven't shared it with your favorite AZ moderator, because Howard thinks his RT is a trials bike already. grin.gif

And you know that K12 instability behind trucks that you are always whining about ? None of that either.

FWIW, I have not experienced any of that on the 3 K1200RS' that I've ridden.

Good writeup, by the way. Sounds like you had fun. smile.gif

Geez, DCB, did you have to do a writeup on the FJR and attract Warchild to this DB? And we gotta have that picture of him in his bike shorts inflicted upon us?

Actually, I think that was posted by an imposter, because it's much too reasoned and polite to be posted by the Dale some of us know and, uh, love. grin.gif

Heh.... fellow Iron Butt veteran D.B.Smith and I are 'bro's.... twofinger.gif

Howya doin', DEBS? Fully recovered from your little juant around the country last month, or are you still having the post-IBR "Dreams"?

WHEW! Where do I start? Possibly by PAYING David to abuse my bike! grin.gif

Excellent write up David, and I'll add in some comments from doing 2500+ miles on an FJR since July.

I have a 36" inseam, and the legroom is a bit tight for me. Nothing I can't manage with frequent stretching and changing my seating position. I'm partial to sitting on the pillon seat during long stretches of slab. As far as the windscreen is concerned, my height helps a great deal. If I have the shield all the way down, the wind hits me in the bottom of my chest. Great cooling in hot weather. If I notch the screen up maybe an inch or so, it will toss the blast over my shoulders leaving my helmet in good clean air. Up from there I experience the same low pressure push at interstate speeds, but anything below about 60mph and it works great. Cee Baileys, Rifle, and a few other companies make aftermarket screens for the FJR and with winter approaching, I might consider one.

Power? Yep! This baby has power. If David thought the engine was smooth when he rode it, he should ride it now. I installed a DynoJet Power Commander III on the bike yesterday. WOW! SMOOOOOTH baby! And roll on's are even better. I tried to wheelie the bike on a back road and BROKE THE REAR TIRE LOOSE! shocked.gif BIG TORQUE!

I don't ride in the same fashion as David. I might as well get a gold plaque to commorate David's 130+mph jaunt as that's going to be the record for my FJR. So...why do I want a bike with big power if I don't plan on using it? Well...top speed doesn't interest me much, but accleration and comfort do. The FJR can acclerate in any gear from about 2500rpm without a downshift (even 5th). But when you feel the need for speed, wick it up past 5000rpm and HOLD ON BABY! The horizion starts moving up fast, and I still laugh out loud when I whack the throttle open hard. Once I see about 80 or 90...I slow back down and do it again. I just love eating up Metzlers! wink.gif

I was pretty much sold on an ST1300 as I had ridden a friends twice, but something just wasn't right. The ST has no soul, no character. The FJR does. It's like the preachers daughter. Wild and fun on Saturday, prim and proper on Sunday. It's like having two bikes in one.

I am a self maintenance sort of man, and the FJR is pretty wrench friendly. I don't know that I'll attempt the valves since they are shim under bucket. I'll let the dealer take care of them. Figure 4 dealer visits in 100,000 miles won't kill me. Everything else is a piece of cake. The fuel tank is even hinged to allow you access to spark plugs and throttle body sync nipples.

I've installed two power outlets, heated grips, and the Power Commander. The bike is costs about what a two or three year old KRS would cost. MSRP on an ABS bike is $12,600. I've heard of deals as good as $11,500 for the ABS bike. Since they are pre-order only, you can negotiate your deal before the bike ever arrives. Call D&H Cycles in Cullman, AL if you want a GREAT deal. They even sell the 48 month extended warranty for $349 (which gives you a FIVE year UNLIMITED mileage warranty).

The rider community is pretty good, and growing. Certinly not as large as the BMW community, but good guys none the less. Nice to see Warchild pop in over hear. I hang out with him an the other FJR cronies on a couple of FJR related sites.

For more FJR info that you can shake a stick at, visit www.fjr1300.info. It's a great site that will point you to a few forums.

I can't say "thanks" enough to David for fetching my bike. It was my wife's birthday this past weekend and I'm starting a new job this week so there was no way I could make the trip. I'm glad he enjoyed himself, and the bike. Somehow I feel like he took more than 1000 miles of life off my tires! crazy.gif

Well...I've got to get out to the garage and finish my heated grip install. I put on some BMW grips to make me feel more at home while I ride! cool.gif

I do remember that section of road, Shelley. I think I was chasing Al and you, and was scraping bad things at over 100 on my RT. Not good.

If it was anyone but one of Arizona Al's RS hoons saying this, I would probably dismiss the high speed instablity thing outright. But after riding behind them on mountain sweepers at speeds most bikes (and riders) fear to tread, they may know what they're talking in this one area.

Very high speed sweepers (110 +) is one arena where apparently the 1200RS (and Hayabusa) really do outshine the competition. But unless you move to Arizona and ride with these hoons on a regular basis, I'm sure the FJR will handle things just fine. wink.gif

And you know that K12 instability behind trucks that you are always whining about ? None of that either. [/b]

Hey I almost got that weaving thing licked!! Just a few less turns on the ride height adjuster and it just might be gone! For good? Don't know? We'll see, as the rest of the tires wear down. Also things might change with a new set of rubber! But for now it's really riding VERY GOOD... grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif So good that, I might get into trouble like on our last ride with Howard... We came up on a guy riding a red 12rs (not AL, I could never keep up with him!) Angie & I womped him going uphill on our favorite sweepers road and left him for dead... Then Howard tried to pass him and he couldn't stand for an RT rider trying to pass him. They dragged raced side by side and our man Howard got the "I got bigger ones, than you, Award" and at full throttle passed him. Well, we stopped at turn off to wait for the rest of our club riders. The guy on the red K12 stopped and really didn't like what he saw... TWO GALS riding K12's, he didn't have much to say and left ASAP! So MY BIKE is back to being able to get me into TROUBLE... Like doing those "Going to JAIL RIDES" we use to do in the old days when the bike was new! grin.gif

Shelley cool.gif

If it was anyone but one of Arizona Al's RS hoons saying this, I would probably dismiss the high speed instablity thing outright. But after riding behind them on mountain sweepers at speeds most bikes (and riders) fear to tread, they may know what they're talking in this one area.

Very high speed sweepers (110 +) is one arena where apparently the 1200RS (and Hayabusa) really do outshine the competition. But unless you move to Arizona and ride with these hoons on a regular basis, I'm sure the FJR will handle things just fine. wink.gif

I haven't moved to Arizona, but I do "ride with these guys on a regular basis." That was just your first time riding with them. wink.gif

Well...I've got to get out to the garage and finish my heated grip install. I put on some BMW grips to make me feel more at home while I ride!
That was among the very first things I did as well... can't live without my BMW grips; I've installed them on every bike I've own:

grip2.jpg

Since the Yamaha grips are longer than the BMW grips, some adjustments is needed to align switch housings in such a way as to remove any gaps. Here are the details:

BMW grips on the FJR1300

I haven't moved to Arizona, but I do "ride with these guys on a regular basis."

I guess the point was you weren't following them at those speeds, on those roads, on an FJR. And as good a rider as you are reported to be, I can't imagine an RT keeping up with some of the faster RS guys on the long sweepers. wink.gif

Howya doin', DEBS? Fully recovered from your little juant around the country last month, or are you still having the post-IBR "Dreams"?

Actually, yesterday was the first day I've been on a bike since I got back. Ironically, after encountering heat, rain, wind and fire on the Rally, on the way home I took a low-speed tumble in the Black Hills trying to avoid an RV that crossed into my lane and busted a rib. frown.gif Which was really nice when I'd jump up in the middle of the night 'cause I thought I was sleeping on the bike or couldn't remember where the next checkpoint was or what town I was in. Fortunately both the dreams and the rib are getting better.

So as not to hijack the thread, remind me again what you did for lights on your FJR? (Not that I'm considering it or anything, but if the RT dies in the next year and a half...)

Thanks MJames that’s a big compliment coming from you…

Yes I’m really a big baby when it comes to stability on a bike… Since I don’t have the big conjonas (sp?) like the rest of you BOYZ my ovaries have to be pretty big to ride with Al and the gang. If the bike (mine or someone else’s) doesn’t feel right when entering those “TRIPLE DIGIT SPEED ZONES” I get really scared and shut the bike down… Then I think about it and try it again.

I thought it was just me but even Al made the comment that the front end felt way to light for his liking, he felt the heat (not a good think in PHX!) and he thought the bike felt buzzy.

Nothing like that PLANTED feeling that the K12 gives you. Believe me I tried to push the bike over and over… but it just didn’t work for me… whereas the VFR800 on my most UN-FAVORITE downhill curvy road (lots of tar snakes, bad pavement different pavement…etc, it inspired confidence right off… in fact almost too much. I told myself “hey, you don’t know how this bike handles, why the hell you going so fast for?” but the throttle hand just kept twisting until I saw the cop lights.

It’s funny that you said “unless you move to Az and ride triple digits with those hoons it won’t be a problem” That’s just what Dave (FJR owner) said to me…”well how much to we ride at 120 mph” yet he can’t stand anyone else to be in front so he always in the triple digits. I just laughed and thought to myself… Well I would make excuses also, if I traded in my beautiful yellow/checkboard K12rs (24k miles) For that! blush.gif Nuff said! grin.gif

Happy riding on whatever bike you choose, Shelley cool.gif

Thanks MJames that’s a big compliment coming from you…

Well, here's the second compliment. Just got off the phone with ArizonAl and I quote: "When David was here in October, as Shelly and I pulled away from him and the other RT's, David was heard to mutter on the FRS "I got to get myself an RS." wink.gif

Of course, a few of you also pulled away from my Busa on the sweepers in January, so having no excuses riding a Busa, all I could say to myself was "I got get these hoons when we hit the straights." Which I did. wink.gif

It really seems like the RS is the perfect bike for your wide open spaces and the way you guys (gals) ride. But for many, the FJR might make more sense. But like you say...happy riding on whatever you like. (I like my Busa. wink.gif)

Biff Motor Works

Before I bought my GT I did my research, The FJR and the VFR were the only other bikes I was really considering. The bottom line was I could not test ride either. The VFR, I determined was not going to be great for two up, but was an excellent bike. The FJR looked like a great bike, but there was no way I was going to put down a deposit and wait 2 to 3 months for a bike I ordered from a brochure. I need to touch and feel a bike, I want to carress it and look it in the eyes. The bottom line is, I am extremely happy with my GT, no buyers remorse 10,000 miles in 5 months, and still smiling ear to ear. But if The Yamaha had been in stock, who know could been a differnt bride... wink.gifgrin.gif

Biff...

They dragged raced side by side and our man Howard got the "I got bigger ones, than you, Award" and at full throttle passed him.

Oh Gawd...Howard's been practicing that one. I'm in trouble. smile.gif A year ago at Torrey, Lisa and I were working our way through the pack of RT's. Daryll was first (he's not so easy to pass these days, though). Then we came across dear old Philly. Booking along at about a buck thirty on the GPS (we just wound the RT throttle all the way open and set the throttle lock) we drafted and eased out to pass across a long valley. We were pulling him but just barely. After what seemed like forever, he backed off and we shot ahead. That night we compared notes and we had hit 131 on the GPS and he was only 129. grin.gif

But none of it compares to the K12. On an RT, 130 is full throttle and working it hard. On the K12, a buck thirty is 4th gear. cool.gif And I love that rush as the speedo climbs up above 150. Too freaking fun. laugh.gif

Archived