IGNORED

Yamaha FJR1300--A Brief Review After 950 Mile Test Ride

David

I managed to get a quick ride on an FJR last week and found it to be superb in the areas of speed, comfort and handling, however I felt the brakes were not up to expectations (but compared to an RT's what is?) and there was too much heat being dumped on my legs, because of the latter the friend who had arranged the test ride decided not to buy.

The RT is tops when it comes to heat management. I've never ridden a bike that didn't throw out some heat except for the RT.

The FJR brakes seem to work fine for me. Never noticed them being weak in any area.

O.K. Fellas here is my 2 cents. I've been a motorcycle mechanic for about 34 years. I've been with a large west coast law enforcment agency for about 20 some odd years now and I've worked on alot of motorcycles for this great department, which at this time is using BMW's(since 1998) In my opinion it's about time our guys moved up on the ladder. Don't get me wrong the motors we've had previously have all been excellent tools but since 1998 our tools have gotten alot better now. Compared to what we used to work on it seems like we've become Maytag repair men. We do all our own services and the dealers do the warranty work which by our normal standards is very infrequent. And when there is warranty work it is done quickly and done right. I've been reading this thread since it's inception and the only thing I can say is we ride what we want to pay for. I've owned a lot of bikes in this short period of time I've been riding (since 1964)and they all have there good points and they have some bad ones but we deal with it. I still have my 1974 R90S which I will never get rid of but now I'm buying a FJR Because I want one. I know how Beemers hold up I know how Kawi's hold up and I know how Hondas hold up. It's time for something different. Some like telever some like conventional forks . It's your choice. Just enjoy what ever brand you choose. And dave thanks for all your insight with that great article.

I also attended the BMWRA rally in Birmingham last weekend. I'll second Chad's comment, the Barber facility was very nice! What a great place to hold a rally! The only negative comment is they didn't have enough showers for the campers.

It was interesting to watch the folks look at a FJR that had BMW logo's on the tank. Not sure who's bike it was, but it was fun listening to comments when some folks had too many suds....

As some of you may know, I have attended and hosted about 1/2 dozen tech days. So as I have noted before there are many qualities that I look at in a bike, and that I feel the mag writer miss. We have a FJR, and had the need to remove all the fairing parts, complete front to back. So having basically completely rebuilt a RT and now having a FJR undressed here are some of the intagibles.

BWM RT, all 3mm screws, and yes somewhat difficult to find at first, however after you have done it once, two people (in my case my son and me) can strip the RT in about 15 minutes.

I do not care how long my son and I practice, I do not think we will get the hang of those plastic fastners Yamaha uses on the FJR. Plus, at least for now, no really easy cheap third party source for them. The RT I can go to any local hardware store and replace any fastner, well at least so far. And that goes for my 1992 K75RT as well.

Parts availability. I have an advantage in that BMW of Atlanta is such a strong dealership and stocks a lot of parts for all year bikes. Even with that, I had to order a number of parts for my son's 1998 suzuki bandit, and about 15 different items for the FJR. My local Japanese bike dealers, did not stock a lot of the items, but the longest item only took 5 days, and most were 2 - 3 days. For me, that is fine.

BMW provides a repair CD, yamaha only paper manual. In addition, the 2004 abs is covered by a supplemental book, which you use with the 2003 OEM repair manual. Very Cheesey !!!

On the other hand, the complete parts list, with yamaha OIEM number for 2003 and earlier models is listed right on the Yamaha web site. That is awesome. I just think they should have the 2004 FJR model listed as they did an early release of the bike. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for Yamaha to update the web site for the 2004 models.

Overall fit and finish is great. Some have said their bike did not meet BMW standards, well so far mine has. The one sub-par item, the paint quality is lower. I am only guessing but I would say, less paint and lower quality paint.

I miss the gear indicator. I know I should be able to keep track of where I am at, and yes on the FJR it matters less than other bikes, (that is what torque and HP do) but I still miss it.

Other than the removal of the cheesey plastic fastners, the Yamaha has been, I would guess about 10% harder to work on. In addition, I would say there is less room for adding items. On the othe hand the Yamaha is smaller and narrower than the RT or the GT, and that room has to come from somewhere.

So after a week of working on the FJR that is my impressions from a wrenching perspective.

Next on the FJR list, put it all back together, with the following items added.

gear indicator

power commander (yes it surges just like the RT that is the most ironic item. Yamaha copied the RT so close it even included the surge)

electronic cruise control

And the final comment, a 460 watt alternator, what was Yamaha thinking. I am working an electronics friend to see if I can upgrade this to at least 600. But I feel this may become the achillies heel of the FJR. Overall this great package limited by one of the most difficult items to upgrade.

Again this in no slam against BWW, or a support for the FJR. My issue with BMW is thier factory support and quality control, not the actual machinery. Neither do I believe the FJR is 100% correct. I was just the correct bike for my wife at this time. I just thought some of these other items, not realted to HP, torque, handling etc. miight be of interest.

yellowducati900ss

Randy,

If I may disagree... I've had an RT and now have an FJR. I'd say the FJR is easier to work on for all normal maintenance issues.

The RT required the 6k valve adjustments. I had the tip over guards so that required removing the right, left and bottom (because it was attached to the right and left) fairings. At 13 (I think) screws a piece that was a major hassle. Also the ones on the tank stripped really easy ( I think the dealer stripped one and I stripped one probably due to them torquing on it too hard) and were not replaceable.

By comparison, to do any of the "normal" maintenance you only have to remove 1 fairing, the left side middle of the bike fairing for the air cleaner. It has one bolt and and one screw-type plastic fastener and the air filter has four regular phillips head screws.

The only other thing you have to do is remove two bolts up front of the tank and two plastic fasteners in the rear to tilt up the tank and do the throttle body sync's.

Also, I ABSOLUTELY agree that the alternator is too small. However, it is a 490 watt unit, not 460. Only a little difference, I know, but we need all we can get, right? smile.gif

Finally, "Parts Availablity". I hear that all over the place on the BBS and hear that BMW is better. I can not DIS-agree more. Yes, there may be one or two BMW dealers out there that stock complete bikes worth of parts in their inventory but my experience is quite different.

First of all, there are a TON more Yammy shops out there so you have a MUCH better chance of getting parts. I live in Dallas and I have a shop in my back yard (2 miles away) but that is not normal for 99% of the people in the US.

More importantly, one of the MAIN reasons I got rid of the RT was that when I needed it fixed all I heard from my dealer was, "Waiting for Parts". I had two issues happen over a 2 month timeframe. The bike was in the shop for 65 of those 70 days and it was because they couldn't get a friggin' Shifter Fork Spring for one of the fixes and valves/timing block/timing chain for the other fix. That is ridiculous. frown.gif

So maybe 10 years down the road I won't be able to get as many parts for the FJR that I like but I can guarantee you that I can get parts in a reasonable timeframe for my 1 year old bike!

Humm...since Randy now owns my old FJR...I have to ask...WHAT DID YOU DO TO IT??? It never surged when I had it. The FJR I have now doesn't surge. I installed the PC to remove the lean flat spot just before 4000rpm. It also makes throttle response REALLY good. A small twist and the FJR will GO!

The plastic fasteners are 50/50. The little "phillips head" ones suck. The push button ones are a piece of cake. You can pop them off by pushing in with your fingernail. All of the fairing screws (that I've removed) are 4mm. I also haven't had any issues with the paint. I know others have said the paint is soft, but I've not seen it.

I've been impressed with how the FJR is put together. Things are pretty accessable, especially with the hinged fuel tank.

As Randy said, I'm not saying the FJR is better than a BMW or vice versa. I enjoyed my BMWs but they had faults just as the FJR does.

Chad, no worry, i did not mean to imply Cathy's bike surges, just that some FJR riders say theirs does, just like some BWM rider do/have. I just fidn that imensly funny.

As for what I have done to the bike, you do not want to know. It is a toss up between which bike I have in more pieces, my RT or Cathy's FJR. However, Cathy's FJR has first priority so it will probably get back together first.

I have a 4 tube carb tune on order. So pretty soon I will be changing all the spark plugs, (it's apart so want to see how it works), doing all fluids, including radiator, once again apart so easy to do. Pretty soon I hope to work with Chris Kinney and maybe I can hold my first FJR tech day.

I agree there are some things that are easier on the FJR regarding routine maintenance. And Chad you are correct the push pin items are not bad, I just can not seem to like them. and you are correct, 3mm for BMW 4mm for FJR (when it has a bolt).

All in all, I still stand by my first gut instinct. For serious tear down/farkle install, I think the RT is a little easier.

But that is just my first impression. By the time I add SS brake lines, SS clutch line, power commander, electric accessory junction box, and hyper lite, license plate frame, who know how I will feel.

And even as excited as I am to get Cathy's FJR together, I am twice that at getting my RT back. It should feel almost new, and as I bought it as a four year old bike, I am looking forward to that feeling.

After owning many motorcycles in cluding BMW's I have found that none of them are perfect. After many miles of riding this fantastic machine it too had many,many flaws. it ate gas, was heavy, poor lighting and the maintenance that I was saddled with drove me crazy. And although I was unable to decide at first to step away from the K12RS I finally did. And I bought the FJR1300. And I have read a few negatives on the site about it and am not surprised. People have different tastes and pleasures. And riding a machine for a brief time does not give a true picture of its capabilities. I find that it has amazing power and speed. it also can travel in excess of 240 miles on a tank of fuel. This was one of the reasons I detested the RS. Limited flight range. And as far as vibration? It has subsided once the break in period has passed..and that it did...3500 miles in 5 weeks. Never did that on an RS. And I'm still a BMW fan even though I went astray. I have an LT that will pound away the pavement with esae. It does need a little more power...but hey, I would ride it like a crotch rocket if it did. And I have found that BMW owners are typically a cut above the rest....I have also found that in the motorcycling world there should be an admiration for whatever machine you or I choose to ride. And the FJR?? No, it is not perfect...close but not perfect. And will it out perform an RS in every way?? No question about it...I have ridden both and have no regrets with my purchase. It is a flawless and powerful machine that is under priced in my book. BMW should get a clue and design something along this line and maybe I wouldn't complain about spending 20K for one of their machines. Happy Riding and be safe out there.

ericfoerster

After spending a better part of the day riding with Dave aka FJRKOMET....I can say WOW. Not only is the FJR just plain sexy in person, it goes like a bat outta hell. We would be rocking along at an even buck and the FJR would wisk by like I was in reverse.

It is an awesome machine and you ought to hear that machine in person......grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr look out K bikes the FJR is lurking.

One question I would have about this bike is dealer support

We were very close to and seriously considering swapping the K12RS for the FJR. Not only because of the quality and stellar reports on this machine but because of dealer support. We have a terrific Yamaha dealer nearby. We bought the VMax from them and we love visiting the dealership. The cater to us, they are friendly, easy to deal with and only 15 miles away. If we decided to leave them and go to another Yamaha dealership there's one 10 miles away in the other direction.

We just couldn't get past that front end....don't like it...nope....not at all and you can't own a bike you don't like looking at everytime you walk towards it. The front end doesn't blend with the rest of the bike...in our opinion.

Nice review. A few weeks ago, I test rode a 2003 FJR1300 and K1200RS on the same day.

My three main observations are:

<1> The FJR1300 needs a 6th gear.

<2> The FJR1300 puts out a significantly greater amount of heat than the K1200RS - to the point that it was almost uncomfortable on a 75 degree day. Of course, in my real life, I'm a R1150RT rider, so normally it's "heat?? what heat..."

<3> The suspension on the K1200RS is superior to the Yamahas.

I think the bottom line is something like this: If you want a sportbike on which you can tour, get the FJR1300...If you want a touring bike that's sportier than a K1200LT or Goldwing, get a R1150RT or K1200GT.

Me again...after riding the FJR 3600 miles I disagree with the heat thing...and if you ride the RS and FJR the top gear revs and speed work out to be exactly the same. Honest! I checked them both for that...I can agree that the top gear could be a bit taller..but from a liability stanpoint it would let the bike exceed the 157 MPH. Most people can't ride @ 60 let alone 160. Also there is liability and rider capability issues that send up the insurance quotes.

amac, you summed it up in a nut shell. If you want a sport bike you can tour on get an FJR. If you want a bike you can tour on that is also very sporty get an RT. IMO the FJR is dynamite for power and handling, but for handling and comfort (read no heat) and superior suspension for touring the RT rules. There is a saying, "the whole is

greater than the sum of it's parts" I think which applies to the RT. It is an integrated bike that works well together in an overall way. Mind you I have an '04 so have no issues with surging or tranny. And I like the brakes to. You just have to adjust to them.

I've not been on the board in a while, so I'm slow with a reply. I just had to repeat what many have said, Very Very nice review. You really should free-lance for some of the moto magazines. I have read many reviews that told me no where half as much as yours. To many magazines forget most of us are not track riders and concentrate to much on picking nits that will not show up on the street. Yours was a great mix of "this is how it works in different weather and on different roads. Perfect!! Thanks

Okay...I keep hearing about this small alternator on the FJR??? I have many electrical gadgets on mine from Sat. radio to GPS and Radar...I also power my cell too while riding with the high beam on....so what is the big deal..never blows fuses and it is running like a top. Care too share????? Dave

I don't agree with the "more power = sportbike" philosophy that's implied by a few of the replies. I think the one thing that would make the RT a much better tourer is increased power and torque. For two up touring and sport touring, the bike just needs more balls. Almost everything else is wonderful, or at least pretty darn good.

The FJR may be the best thing to come along for the BMW rider in quite a while, because it will raise the bar for everyone. If BMW doesn't bump up the stakes in the sport touring category, they'll probably continue to lose share. I hope, and I believe that they'll answer the call.

Dave,

Last time I heard, GPS, sat radio and radar detector were not big power consumers! The big alternator is needed to run heated clothing ( which I often use on chilly mornings even in summertime) and supplementary lighting like Motolights which I consider an important daytime safety feature.

Nice article... being a long-time BMW rider who just picked up my '04 FJR, I'd say that I'm qualified to comment here.

I've never ridden the K12GT, but I did have an 1100RT, and currently own a R1100S. I mentione this because this is exactly where the FJR fits.... right between the RT and S model BMW. The S is light and nimble in the twisties -- but a ball breaker on 700+ mile days. The RT is a dream on the long hauls, but a tad heavy when it gets busy on the back roads.

The FJR really does it all very well!!! I have three bikes now, but will be getting rid of two because the FJR renders their necessity moot. The only real dissagreement that I had with the write-up was the vibration. I feel that the FJR's vibration is MUCH less obtrusive than the BMW's.

I will say this for the R1100S (and all modern Boxers), the low end, lower RPM punch is more satisfying than the FJR.... it takes a lot longer to get the FJR wound up (or maybe it just feels that way). But once you do get those RPMS up, that FJR just keeps pulling harder and harder -- very impressive!

Once again--- nice story!

Steve Peyton

04 FJR ABS

00 R1100S

01 Harley Road Glide

I read the posts on the link above and have to wonder why sort of dope those guys were smoking!?! A BMW boxer out torquing an FJR? The FJR makes more torque at 2700rpm than the RT makes PEAK! As far as having to rev the motor to get to that power...hummm....let's see. The FJR makes it's peak horsepower somewhere around 7800rpm (121.3hp to the ground) where the RT makes it's peak power at 7400rpm (81.4 to the ground). 400rpm difference? confused.gif The peak torque on the FJR comes at 6700rpm (87.7lb/ft to the ground) and the RT makes peak torque at 5700rpm (65.8lb/ft to the ground). Ok...that's 1000rpm difference, but the FJR makes more torque at the same rpm than the RT...and the FJR is lighter too boot...so I'm not quite following where that one particular fellow felt the FJRs extra power was unuseable when riding two up. I think he was suffering a severe case of Beemerphileitis.

I've said it once and I'll say it again, I LOVE BMW motorcycles. I enjoyed my RT and I enjoyed my GS but the one chinc in BMWs armour is the boxer engine. As a few have said in this thread, maybe the FJR and ST1300 will be BMWs wakeup call so they will build the KRT that everyone has been screaming for. grin.gif

Chad;

I can't believe you didn't include a graph. How disappointing.

By the way... I bought a "Motorcycles Only" coat/boot/helmet rack and I'm installing it behind my desk tomorrow. You're welcome.

Sam

Excellent write-up David, thanks. I showed this to some of the guys at work, none of whom are BMW riders, and they all agreed with me...better than the cycle rags reviews. This is the kind of review I've been waiting to see on this bike. Done in your typically classy and honest style. Now all we have to do is find out how to get you some extended rides on all the other new bikes out there so we can keep these articles flowing smile.gif ! Have you ridden a V-STROM yet?

Ill only toss two bones on the FJR - the same ones that I did about 18 months ago when my first year FJR got here and that is that rascal was HOT on the left side and Yamahas working to fix it and IF your passenger has long(er) legs she my be like my wife and find it too sportbike like out back. She said it buffetts worse too than the GT.

That said I rode a new FJR and the heat thing was still there as it was 90 or so here. Seems like some tweaks to the 04s too. I like my Yamaha dealer too and is oh about 3 miles away and we have a great relationship - we should, Ive bought a lot of stuff smile.gif! And I have owned Yamahas for over 30 years straight - Yikes has it been that long wink.gif !

The leaned forward position of the GT is not perfect for me either after years on standards - but I did make it in from the Un about 750 miles in a long day so its OK.

The Yammies a good machine and maybe a bit more on the sport side. But the BMW is a "satisfying" kind of a bike -it took me a few thousand miles to come to that - but thats how it is for me.

On a fun note a buddy was by the house a few days before the Un and I told him about the BMW - no big deal and he didnt ask to see it or anything. Later we walked into the garage to do something else and he stopped and said something like the following -

WOW - look at that bike!

WOW - THATS a BMW?

WOW - I thought it would be kinda BMW like - like not very good looking. WOW - Can I ride it?

No smile.gif!

Im not too interested in impressing the folks and certainly not my bud there but it shows what happens - BMW just kinda slips up on you like that grin.gif!

. Done in your typically classy and honest style. Now all we have to do is find out how to get you some extended rides on all the other new bikes out there so we can keep these articles flowing smile.gif ! Have you ridden a V-STROM yet?

Thanks! No, I have not ridden one, but I sure would like to. wink.gif

Maybe your FJR needs lookeed at...my 04 is a powerhouse on wheels..I have ridden many beemers including the RT RS and LT..the FJR will travel 0 to 60 in 2.8 seconds....I think you need to get yours looked at...and the RT?? Great bike...just NO POWER....When they bump up the horses and TORQUE I will be in the market again...

...and the RT?? Great bike...just NO POWER....

I am really KINDA TIRED of hearing people talk about the RT this way. You can cruise at 100+ if you want, passing 2-up is no problem. Not all that many years ago I did a fair amount of touring on my Jawa 350 with 16 brake HP. I spent many years driving VWs with 40 HP. 95 HP is a LOT compared with heavier 60-70 HP bikes (Harleys?) and after 30K on the RT I am still very happy with the zip. Yes, 130 HP is more than 95 HP but let's get serious here, folks. If you're a HP freak you probably won't be looking at a BMW in the first place -- and I won't want to underwrite your insurance!

If you're a HP freak you probably won't be looking at a BMW in the first place

Don't tell that to the K bike guys. I think they LOVE horsepower grin.gif

If you're a HP freak you probably won't be looking at a BMW in the first place

Don't tell that to the K bike guys. I think they LOVE horsepower grin.gif

Why yes! Yes we do! grin.gif

It's not all about raw horsepower. It's about useable horsepower. Sure...95 horsepower is plenty if you want to wind the engine all the way out to get it. I'd rather have some headroom. Get 95 horsies at 4000rpm, and have some in reserve just in case you need it, or so you don't have to shift as much. I can recall going up steep inclines on my RT that required a downshift from 6th to 5th that I don't have to do on my FJR.

I can recall going up steep inclines on my RT that required a downshift from 6th to 5th that I don't have to do on my FJR.

How often do you shift your FJR into 6th?

Greg

Not only because of the quality and stellar reports on this machine but because of dealer support. We have a terrific Yamaha dealer nearby.

As sexy as new bikes can be. I always suggest to friends that they consider the local dealerships in their purchase. How good is the service department? How do they treat problems?

Ever notice that people who live nearby Bobs, Iron Horse, Marin, or any of the other flagship BMW dealers are generally happier BMW owners than those who live near lesser shops or no shop at all? Same goes for UJM shops and H-D as well.

I picked up on the telelever when renting an 1100RT. Perhaps my other bikes have not had good front suspensions, even after upgrades to the Trophy. The RT's lack of front end dive and general stable feeling was what got me working on the suspension on the Trophy. Also I must admit that I was a bit geeked about being able to swap the front suspension out so easily on the RT.

I read the posts on the link above and have to wonder why sort of dope those guys were smoking!?!

Chad, didn't you say that your GS's grunt was not up to par? You had friends with GS's that had way more grunt? One of the reasons you sold the GS was because of this. I only ask because while I know numbers don't lie, I'm curious if your Boxer experience is really in tune with the way most bikes ride.

And at the same time I've ridden/driven enough vehicles to know that sometimes numbers don't tell the whole story. Subjective feel plays a big factor in that, as does gearing and load. Heck, some automakers give you a torquey feel just by changing the profile of the throttle body pulley or recalibrating the ETC. Exhaust notes intended to make the vehicle sound fast...they all play tricks.

not quite following where that one particular fellow felt the FJRs extra power was unuseable when riding two up.

Chad, is your wife going riding with you these days?

I can go faster 2up on my RT than I could on my Trophy 1200(not an FJR, but more so than an RT). Why? Hard to quantify, but it's down to the fact that I'd guess Karen gets afraid of noises that sound fast than she does actuall speed (120 in a caddy and she doesn't even look up from her book). And the RT, even working it's ass off, still sounds and feels more relaxed than an I4. Something that could be as simple as a difference in exhaust note.

Maybe the RT is underpowered, and that I'll admit. But every time I start thinking about that my next ride I beat the piss out of the RT. Stupid slow German POS, I'll show it...and I discover that there is a lot less road and a lot more LEOs than there is power. At least around here with just me on the bike.

Lighten up on the dope smoking comments too, eh? Different things for different people. The H-D V-twin has quite a following just for it's "feel" when riding. The boxer has it's own character. Maybe it's not for you. But that does not imply that everyone else is smoking the loco weed eh?

Yikes!!!! Sensitive! It isn't all about HP....but let's face it. HP is like a gun...better have it and not need it..than to need it and not have it!!!

Now be kind Greg or I'll send everyone that video clip in Capitol Reef Park!!

Oh, yeah. Wait 'til I get to the part about the two out-of-state cops in the room dreaming up ways to confiscate my video equipent for their own use. laugh.gif

And who needs a 6th gear anyway!!!!

You sure were talking tough after passing a bike towing a trailer! grin.gifgrin.gif

Greg

Was that a trailer??? I thought it was another RS trying to pass him! cool.gifwink.gif And yes I was trying to snag your cameras..after all...why buy when you can confiscate!!!! grin.gif

How often do you shift your FJR into 6th?

Greg

Exactly...it's not required. grin.gif

I guess my whole point is...horsepower isn't just for going fast. I use it primarily for accleration. Rolling on without downshifting on the FJR is really impressive. Even if you are lugging it in 5th gear it still pulls out strong. My wife has ridden on my RT, my GS, and my FJR and I'd have to say that the FJR was much easier to launch smoothly without torching the clutch. Since she seldom rides with me, I try to make each shift as smooth as possible to put her at ease. On the RT and GS, I'd have to rev to engine up so the shift wouldn't drop it into too low of an RPM. With the FJR, I can shift at much lower rpms thereby giving her the sensation of acclerating much slower even though we are acclerating faster.

Steve is right about my GS...its engine was a dog, but my RT ran just fine so I believe I have experienced the boxer at it's best. I realize the boxer has it's fans, and I've never said it was a bad engine, it's just handicapped by lack of power when compared to the competition and the maintenance intervals are a bit too frequent (although easy to do so that's almost a moot point).

I would still like to have another BMW some day. I think they do so many things well that are hard to quantify.

Been following this thread over the past couple weeks. All I can say is wow, David, if this one review can spark this much emotion and this many responses, the board sponsor your testing of other bikes! wink.gif

Sharif

Been following this thread over the past couple weeks. All I can say is wow, David, if this one review can spark this much emotion and this many responses, the board sponsor your testing of other bikes! wink.gif

Good idea! The only problem is that I'm already on probation for riding the Ducati too much. It upsets the brand purists. smile.gif

Oh, yeah. Wait 'til I get to the part about the two out-of-state cops in the room dreaming up ways to confiscate my video equipent for their own use.

LOL...we were doing that. grin.gif Heck Greg I wanted your K bike as well. You know "evidence" and all. I may have to "seize" it at the next event we meet at. I am sure Dave on his new FJR and me on your seized K bike could put an end to all this horsepower stuff....at least I'm willing to try on your bike. wink.gif

Geez if my Chief only knew how fast I really wanted to go tongue.gif

You know I am much faster now I've got ear plugs from Al.....Hmmmmmm he has K bike too.

Per Chad: "I guess my whole point is...horsepower isn't just for going fast. I use it primarily for accleration. Rolling on without downshifting on the FJR is really impressive....My wife has ridden on my RT, my GS, and my FJR and I'd have to say that the FJR was much easier to launch smoothly without torching the clutch."

I agree 100%, although in this case it's really torque that we're talking about and not HP. Again, big HP/torque doesn't have to equate to rice rocket riding. More is almost always better with two up riding, and I'd argue with one up riding as well. It's safer as well. More torque on the RT would make a great bike that much better. Hopefully the FJR will push BMW to up the ante.

Speaking of brand purists how about an St1300? It has a shorter wheel base and most "tests" say it has quicker more nimble handling. The engine is MUCH smoother. The weather protection better also. The co-riders in several mag tests picked the ST1300 over the FJR1300 overwhelmingly. Even quite a few of the testers in the end concluded if it where there money they'd opt for the ST1300. Soooo here we are again with variety is the spice of life I guess. It'd be nice to ride one a long distance and then get off it and ride the other!

yellowducati900ss

Everything I've read about the ST13 is bad. People are bailing out of it like rats off a ship. The heat is FAR worse than the FJR, people are getting first degree burns from it. It has some sort of high speed weave, and they are apparently considering redesigning the frame presumably to correct that. frown.gif

I guess my whole point is...horsepower isn't just for going fast. I use it primarily for accleration

So you're not into going fast, just going faster fast. A second derivitive sort of guy! smile.gif

The "dope" that was being smoked was that the RT had a more torque than the FJR. Numbers don't lie, we all know this to be true.

But none the less my worn in boxer, for me at least, does a pretty darn good job and delivers the power in a way that I've grown to like. It works well two up, and more than just an around town ride. I rarely find it lacking.

Curious, is the rated load capacity of the FJR similar to the RT?

Maybe it's a skill I lack, but I've learned to launch it from a stop smoothly 2up without "torching" the clutch too. Then again my RT doesn't overheat at traffic lights either.

I really doubt the FJR will push BMW to make a better RT. I think David's got it right, the FJR and the K12?T are a better comparsion.

And FWIW, remember that the ST1100, Trophy1200, and KawConcours all had more torque, more "FJR" flavor than the RT. Did BMW respond there? Also keep in mind that this is a market so low volume, from the view of Yamaha at least, that you need to pre-order an FJR. They aren't even stocking them.

... Also keep in mind that this is a market so low volume, from the view of Yamaha at least, that you need to pre-order an FJR. They aren't even stocking them.

I just went by a yamaha dealer here in Tampa and he has a brand new '04 FJR sitting on the showroom floor to sell! Maybe 2 of them. 0 miles. If you're looking for one, this is the place to go. It's like around $11,000. blush.gif

Those issues were either minor or have been resolved. It is a very popular bike at Deals Gap. In fact the owners of Sport Touring Accessories that own Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort specialize in this bike and have a demo one out front with every conceivable option they sell for the bike!

• 3 years later...
Southwest_Adventure

>>I do not know what Yamaha, Honda, Triumph, or the others would have to produce to pry me out of the Beemer's saddle

You don't need to get rid of any of your fine BMWs in order to enjoy what the FJR1300 has to offer :>)

Archived