IGNORED

Hey Drone Boy

TEWKS

3 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Sorry I forgot the model you have so disregard if not compatible.

No worries.   I have the Mavic Air 2.   Not sure if it is compatible or not.   I will have to look into it some more.   

I wish I had more time to take a test flight with your drone.  Perhaps I can try it out at a future Sport Drone Touring gathering.  :5146:

Thanks!

• Haha 1

Drone-1 was dispatched to investigate smoke in the south district of town this afternoon. It was reported back as an Illegal construction material fire. Engine-2 was sent to the location to extinguish the fire. :cool:

263D2EF4-F36E-4DEC-9C66-089712553E36.thumb.jpeg.1c375fe2d371308c843e30cc4bf3ad27.jpeg

Spoiler

That’s a fake story but how cool would that be! :classic_biggrin: Truth.. the fire was real and the drone took the picture. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, TEWKS said:

It was reported back as an Illegal construction material fire.

You taking pictures of my fire pit again.

Other day, my daughter pulls an empty pesticide bag from my burn pile.  I says "why" she said "that there's pesticide residue and it's plastic,...I don't want anyone breathing that",.....I reply, "you know how much oil and other chemicals is in that fire pit",......I got the rolleyes from her

• Smile 1

I’ll have to figure out how to defeat the 400 foot altitude limit to report on burns that far south. :classic_biggrin:

Those pesticide fires sometimes make cool colors! 
image.thumb.jpeg.0acb4bc8ac230b27730b777156f3c9b5.jpeg

• Haha 1

Flaming Rainbows?   Okay; to each, their own.  (not that there is anything wrong with that)   :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Taking a nice picture of the sunset then…

image.thumb.jpeg.300419bf5fc8def4a9bd34ef0d4e90c8.jpeg

in real-time, witnessing the phenomenon of a thirteen Y/O girl morphing into a wise-ass? :dontknow: :classic_biggrin:C0604D9E-102A-49C7-BA92-B4702911BE0F.thumb.jpeg.7b92e9357f11f1e45545c054f0d28034.jpeg

• Haha 3
22 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

a thirteen Y/O girl morphing into a wise-ass?

Something tells me that she has an excellent teacher  :rofl:

• Plus 1 2
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thinking 1

Pat....to operate outside of any FAA limits, you need to file a waiver request form.  Most of the time I have asked for one it was granted.  I found the specific section for drones.  I didn't look at the form, but generally they are pretty specific on what details they want.  With you as a firefighter I would think your chance for a waiver are pretty good.  Here is the link.  P.S. If you have a waiver you must have it with you while operating under that waiver.

Part 107 Waiver | Federal Aviation Administration (faa.gov)

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Taking a nice picture of the sunset then…

in real-time, witnessing the phenomenon of a thirteen Y/O girl morphing into a wise-ass? :dontknow: :classic_biggrin:

You should have droned  her.   Just sayin'

.......and that wild fire smoke adds to the beauty.  

• Smile 1
16 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

......and that wild fire smoke adds to the beauty.

Thanks, I didn’t even take that into consideration, but yeah I like it! ;)

I may be screwing up the quote some but “the first motorcycle/car race happened right after the second one was built”

Drones be the same, I guess. :spittake:

Just for clarity this isn’t my footage.

duckhawk64

Just wait until AI controls drones like this in actual warfare. The ,"Hunter Seeker," from the book and movie Dune, comes to life. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Simply amazing!   On an episode of The Secret of Skinwalker Ranch, a boat-load of drones were used in a similar fashion (start-up) for one of their experiments.   That was the first time I ever saw that many drones in one place.   

:yes:

• Like 2

I can't even keep one out of the trees, and they put hundreds up in a pattern that's legible.

Mad skills!

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 2
chrisolson

Its a great adaption of 3d animation software, mesh networking technology and specialized drone manufacturing resulting in truly amazing and stunning results .... far more interesting than your run-of-the-mill fireworks display ... 

• Like 2
On 6/4/2023 at 12:57 PM, TEWKS said:

I may be screwing up the quote some but “the first motorcycle/car race happened right after the second one was built”

Very close, Captain!!

“Auto racing began 5 minutes after the second car was built.”

Henry Ford

I'd wager motorcycle racing didn't take nearly that long.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

Need a bigger drone

When the apocalypse happens and we descend into a Mad Max kind of society, I’m going to have you weld (alternative source of electricity) (work on that) me up a mounting structure so I can attach that drone to my GS. :cool: :revit: I’ve drawn up the plans here.  :read: 

• Haha 1
John Ranalletta

I may have missed it, but is your drone "follow me" capable?  If so, how does that work with the goggles?

• Like 1

No, the “FPV” drones don’t come with that feature (AFAIK). I’ve been devising a workaround for that, though. :5146: Have an experienced drone flyer as your passenger (wearing the goggles) and you’d get some pretty neat footage I would think. :yes: And the other one is a “hold my beer and watch this” kind of scheme. In an open field, I’m pretty sure I could put the goggles on and fly the done in close proximity without crashing the bike or the drone. Please, please, don’t make that a challenge! :rofl:

• Haha 1

Another “Drone Boy” in town caught this lightning bolt on his drone camera. He’s kinda stealing my thunder IYKWIM! :classic_biggrin: Great shot though, I’m betting it was cut from a video, nobody’s that lucky. This bolt is believed TO BE THE CAUSE OF THIS. 

IMG_0583.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

No pictures so it may not of happened. :spittake: I noticed a little water stain on the ceiling of the upstairs bathroom. :5146: 
Having a smidge of common sense I suspected the water was coming from the roof. ;) So, I flew the drone up onto the roof and inspected the sewage vent pipe and sure enough, the gasket was split and had separated from the pipe. I got a replacement boot (slips over the pipe and existing boot so no shingle work needs doing) and fixed the seal. :yes: A toy that became a tool. :cool:

• Like 1

Not necessarily a true drone but an F35 pilot had a “misshap” and ejected from the fighter jet over SC, but the jet remained on auto pilot and being quite a stealthy thing the military is asking for the public to help them find it.   WTF, really?!  Loose track of a whole fighter jet.   Well at least the pilot is physically OK, but might die of embarrassment.  How long would he need to work to comp the government for loosing an F35:3:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Paul De said:

an F35 pilot had a “misshap” and ejected from the fighter jet over SC, but the jet remained on auto pilot and being quite a stealthy thing the military is asking for the public to help them find it.  

Check all the cornfields

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Filmed a couple dirt bike riders out at my drone place. Half hour earlier I’d of got some better action but most of them were packing up. :dontknow:

click the cogwheel up to the highest resolution ;)

• Like 3
18 hours ago, ESokoloff said:

It’s all fun & games till someone (or rather something) gets roosted :grin:

I think it was only a 125cc so, not too much roost! But I could see that being an issue with bigger bikes. Or faster drones. ;)

patches of color 

image.thumb.jpeg.341b9098dfb864c2a0feed3eb9ff2e5e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.cd65c0845e67dd8f0a62af3185994482.jpeg

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...
John Ranalletta

This isn't gonna' end well and don't call me "Drone Boy II"!  Just learning how to fly this thing is like having a second job. Helpful to read user forums to get a handle on the idiosyncrasies and memorize the 20-page owner's manual.  

A neighbor was going to donate this to a local charity.  I wrote a check to the charity and he gave it  up.  Like brand new ... until I try it.  DJI Phantom 3 Professional 4k.

As Pat wrote to me, the FAA is squeezing the joy out of recreational drone flying with a plethora of regs including remote identification, drone in-sight rules and likely licensing for recreational use.

IMG_0399.thumb.jpg.c5ffbced2b10d704ab887ad4eed988ce.jpg   IMG_0410.thumb.jpg.5fdadb7da2094f845f82a9a2208f57c4.jpg

• Like 4
On 6/3/2023 at 9:22 AM, TEWKS said:

witnessing the phenomenon of a thirteen Y/O girl morphing into a wise-ass

...and looking cute doing it!  :spittake:  I still remember her early days of riding horses.

• Like 2

Here’s the vent pipe boot I replaced after finding the old one deteriorated and cracked using the drone. 
Seems to be a common fail point up in these parts, you might want to get yourself a drone and go up have a look see. :spittake:

image.thumb.jpeg.c3c1edadcb382a62ae9c5b80d8e54da9.jpeg

......or just climb a ladder and be prepared to affect repairs at the same time.   :dontknow:

:spittake:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Smile 1
  • Thinking 1