IGNORED

BMWST.com....What have we become?

Whip

So I went on CoTrex and centered the map on Purgatory and clicked on motorcycling....  low and behold a number of roads showed up.  I know nothing about them, but will try to get some local info or even ride them as we get closer.  Riding will have to wait until the snow melts, obviously.  I had only ever used Cotrex for hiking before.  I think they just added these other activities.  Good to know.

2 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

Ouray quoted $300 a night…

Just so people know this and Dennis was in the know, but Ouray was the original intended location but Larry couldn't make it work.  He tried other towns in area but between the $300 quotes and flaky hotel owners not getting back to him, Purgatory was the most accommodating.

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
  • Sad 1
Dennis Andress
18 minutes ago, BrianT said:

….

i think it’s comparing apples and oranges to compare prices of a venue that can house 50 to 70 people, and feed them a hot meal, to a hotel that might have a working shower. 

• Thanks 4
41 minutes ago, BrianT said:

Just so people know this and Dennis was in the know, but Ouray was the original intended location but Larry couldn't make it work.  He tried other towns in area but between the $300 quotes and flaky hotel owners not getting back to him, Purgatory was the most accommodating.

Figured it was something like that.  Thanks for the insight.

• Thanks 1
On 2/4/2023 at 12:17 PM, BrianT said:

I wouldn't miss this UN as some of my favorite riding is in this area.  Like Chris said, the people make these events special, not just the roads.  When I ride through or stay at some of the places we've held previous rides or UN's and I'm solo or with a few friends, it doesn't feel the same.

The million dollar highway isn't even the appeal for me.  Seems like every time I'm on it, I'm stuck behind slow jeeps and RV's or waiting for a construction sign man to allow me to proceed.  So I just look at that road as enjoying the scenery and not hooning it up.  I also enjoy the towns along that road.  However, there are other good RT roads for day rides from Purgatory.  Yea they take more than a few hours to complete but the riding and scenery are worth it.

San Juan Mountains west of the million dollar highway.

471891722_SanJuanMtns225.thumb.png.f59becb1bfbc2594e5dd2a533f54c226.png

Unaweep Tabeguache Scenic Byway.  It's like riding in a mini Grand Canyon.  There's a nice lunch spot at Gateway, CO at the resort and a car museum.

1540272592_UnaweepTabeguacheScenicByway131.thumb.png.9ce81632c32ef2e24900cf378ea5e94d.png

The infamous Black Canyon never gets old.

292480623_BlackCanyon.thumb.png.81da72f1a1407cb0e881aa0616010899.png

There are a ton of other great roads in Colorado that are farther out but make for great routes to and from the UN location.  The good riding for me isn't just during the days of the event but tying in great roads to and from while avoiding the boring interstate.

As for the original question about thinning numbers of members at events, I think it's a combo of things.  Most of the riders I started out with here either don't ride any more by choice or cant due to medical issues.  Some moved on to other brands and fell away from this site or just do local rides.  A small chunk of that group have also passed away as the years go by.  Let's face it, there aren't many youngsters joining our group as some of us age out or move on to other hobbies or just cut back on days on the road.  Whether it be lifestyle choices or cost, I think we're loosing more active riders than we gain.

The other part of this is cost.  Not specific to the event location but travelling in general.  After Covid, hotels jacked up rates.  Gas is more expensive.  Restaurants have staffing shortages and increased prices.  Without turning this into a political discussion, a dollar today does not go as far as it did in heyday of UnRallys.  I definitely feel the pinch now that I didn't back in the day.  Especially now that I'm retired and not seeing the raises I did while working.  Don't ask what my credit card bill was after 18 days on the road covering 7000 miles going to and from the WV UN last year.  But it's still money well spent for my mental and spiritual health.  But I also understand why others who aren't as fortunate as I am can't travel like they used to.

Riding is my addiction and you all are my brothers in arms.

I live here, in Montrose, CO.  Of all the places I could have retired to, this was, and is, my dream location.  I'm 81 miles north of the Un site, 26 miles north of the top end of the Million Dollar Hwy, and TWO miles from the base of the Rockies.  Everything that Brian T and Hannabone said above is true.  There may be a road or two elsewhere in the U.S. that is as spectacular.  But nothing, absolutely NOTHING can match Western Colorado for endless miles, fabulous loops and spectacular scenery.  And the Un location is one of the best.  RT roads (so take off the saddlebags for the day and scrape some pegs).  GS roads (dual-track, single-track and simply graveled roads up and over 12,000 feet in elevation and everything that inspires).

• The Million Dollar Highway (are you phqing kidding me, it's SPECTACULAR!)
• Hwy 160 out of Durango to Pagosa Springs, Lake City, Gunnison and back to the Lodge.  8 hours and 400 miles of two-wheeled bliss.  Or just go to Creede and get some Brats from one of the food wagons, turn around and go back.  That's good for 6 hours and 300 miles.

From the Un site you can . . .
• . . . get to 11,300 ft. Monarch Pass (ski area, if you know the kind of beauty that entails)

• . . . Ride Hwy 141 to the Gateway Resort and Auto Museum (an awesome collection of perfectly restored cars owned by the founder of The Discovery Channel --- resort and museum currently for sale for about $280 Million or thereabouts, so go see it before the Chinese buy it)

• . . . Cross the Continental Divide via Cottonwood Pass and take that once-in-a-lifetime pic at the Continental Divide sign

• . . . Ride Hwy 92 as it skirts the main gorges of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP
• . . . Take any of the loops and/or rides that Brian T and others have mapped out

And there's more, but I don't want to overburden you with ecstatic splendors.  Is it a bit pricey?  Sorta.  Those who own parts of America's Majesty get taxed pretty good and have to charge a bit more.  But is it worth it?  I live here and I can't wait for riding season.  So yeah.  In fact a BIG PHQING YEAH!!!

Figure out a way.  Room with someone.  Trailer and then ride if getting across Nebraska on a bike doesn't thrill you (it doesn't me).  I hate to say it, but skip a Torrey or two.  Just Get Here.  The memories, friendships, and photographs of "Yeah, I Rode That," will linger for years after the credit card bill has been paid.

I ride this stuff every year.  Some twice.  Some 5 times.  And all of it takes my breath away. It'll do the same, and more, for you.

• Like 5
  • Plus 1 1
  • Thanks 1

That's pretty much what I've been trying to say : ) The three routes I drew up in the other thread encompass all that and more, yeah they're all day rides but worth every mile (they start in Ouray as it was the assumed location at the time but work just as well from Purgatory). Or you can slice and dice them to suit your schedule, I can put them in GPS form if desired. 

This isn't a spur of the moment/off the cuff plan, I think Larry's been ruminating on this location for an Unrally for I0- I5 years since the informal gatherings there in the 2000's, it's just taken awhile for the pieces to fall in place. The unfortunate part is everything has doubled in the past few years taking Ouray off the table (don't think Telluride was ever on it, it's become the Aspen of the west slope and Ridgway just doesn't have enough going on to accommodate). 

Edit, here are the routes from the other thread/discussion.

"I'm pretty familiar with it having ridden the area extensively every Summer and Fall the past I0-I2 years. Drew up a few maps encompassing the best (paved) day routes out of Ouray (assuming it's the location but even if it isn't the routes still work).

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=110mrnKbnAYX5x25ZvtpjgL8bcYmpBm0&usp=sharing

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1TaYm5NYS1SHZVONWgUK5yLtUCgDayS4&usp=sharing

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1rwCtQwhHldjyDQkaptcrvKiiLZ1lCfc&usp=sharing

There are plenty of things to stop and see and places to eat on them all but one place I'd personally recommend on the Cortez route is Mesa Verde National Park, that will be a fairly long day but try to allow at least a couple hours to view the Park as it is pretty amazing. Another is the Black Canyon of the Gunnison on the Crawford route." 

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
2 hours ago, EffBee said:

I live here, in Montrose, CO.  Of all the places I could have retired to, this was, and is, my dream location.  I'm 81 miles north of the Un site, 26 miles north of the top end of the Million Dollar Hwy, and TWO miles from the base of the Rockies.  Everything that Brian T and Hannabone said above is true.  There may be a road or two elsewhere in the U.S. that is as spectacular.  But nothing, absolutely NOTHING can match Western Colorado for endless miles, fabulous loops and spectacular scenery.  And the Un location is one of the best.  RT roads (so take off the saddlebags for the day and scrape some pegs).  GS roads (dual-track, single-track and simply graveled roads up and over 12,000 feet in elevation and everything that inspires).

• The Million Dollar Highway (are you phqing kidding me, it's SPECTACULAR!)
• Hwy 160 out of Durango to Pagosa Springs, Lake City, Gunnison and back to the Lodge.  8 hours and 400 miles of two-wheeled bliss., turn around and go back.  That's good for 6 hours and 300 miles.

From the Un site you can . . .
• . . . get to 11,300 ft. Monarch Pass (ski area, if you know the kind of beauty that entails)

• . . . Ride Hwy 141 to the Gateway Resort and Auto Museum (an awesome collection of perfectly restored cars owned by the founder of The Discovery Channel --- resort and museum currently for sale for about $280 Million or thereabouts, so go see it before the Chinese buy it)

• . . . Cross the Continental Divide via Cottonwood Pass and take that once-in-a-lifetime pic at the Continental Divide sign

• . . . Ride Hwy 92 as it skirts the main gorges of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP
• . . . Take any of the loops and/or rides that Brian T and others have mapped out

And there's more, but I don't want to overburden you with ecstatic splendors.  Is it a bit pricey?  Sorta.  Those who own parts of America's Majesty get taxed pretty good and have to charge a bit more.  But is it worth it?  I live here and I can't wait for riding season.  So yeah.  In fact a BIG PHQING YEAH!!!

Figure out a way.  Room with someone.  Trailer and then ride if getting across Nebraska on a bike doesn't thrill you (it doesn't me).  I hate to say it, but skip a Torrey or two.  Just Get Here.  The memories, friendships, and photographs of "Yeah, I Rode That," will linger for years after the credit card bill has been paid.

I ride this stuff every year.  Some twice.  Some 5 times.  And all of it takes my breath away. It'll do the same, and more, for you.

Heck if you ride to Creede have just eat at Kip's !!   Great food and a very cool place.   Yes ... some amazing roads there for sure !! 

i-L9gqtf2-XL.jpg

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 2
6 hours ago, EffBee said:

I live here, in Montrose, CO. 

...Brilliant, 'Nando...

Cross the Continental Divide via Cottonwood Pass and take that once-in-a-lifetime pic at the Continental Divide sign

I assume in order to get a Continental Divide sign picture, we need dual sport bikes?  It will not be accessible to our street bikes?

Cottonwood Pass is paved the whole way.  There is a sign and a turnout at the top, as well as a larger parking area just downhill to the west.

• Plus 1 1

Interesting thread....I've got to admit, I don't ever remember seeing folks this concerned with the logistics of an UN event, but then we are all older and in WAY different times. Good commentary, and it just makes for an informed decision for some. Thanks to those "locals" for a descriptive narrative of the riding in the area. 

I'd consider riding miles and spending money to see old friends. Just have some unfinished business in Bolivia this August, which may affect my ability to fit this event in. 

Maybe see ya, maybe not. 

Difficult part is securing lodging at the last minute. Might even be a ride by.

Nice seeing some of you online. 

MB.

• Plus 1 1
7 hours ago, Cap said:

Cottonwood Pass is paved the whole way.  There is a sign and a turnout at the top, as well as a larger parking area just downhill to the west.

Ok can you confirm the road number

it looks to be between Taylor Park and Buena Vista

is that correct?

4 minutes ago, randy said:

Ok can you confirm the road number

it looks to be between Taylor Park and Buena Vista

is that correct?

Yes. It’s 306 from BV to the pass then changes to 209 at the CD (county line) down to the stop sign at Taylor Reservoir.

• Plus 1 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, roadscholar said:

Yes. It’s 306 from BV to the pass then changes to 209 at the CD (county line) down to the stop sign at Taylor Reservoir.

thank you so much, that is on my Sunday route, looking forward to taking a picture

I am looking for restaurant recommendations for Lake City. Any recommendations for a good lunch spot?  I have Kip's in Creede, but that will probably be to early in the day.  So looking for Lake City, Thanks

You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time. There was a time when the un-rally was a happening, affordable and fun as well as in the true spirit of Long distance motorcycling.  Tenting, BS around the cook outs, great high speed riding. We have aged a bit, the luxuries of life have more appeal now, costs have gone up considerably for multiple factors, since the first un-rally in Gunnison. All these factors are no fault of the organizers, they are just the facts. Colorado remains one of my great memories of riding.  It was about the journey, the new found friends, the experiences and the scenery, which is etched forever in my memory.  If you can go, don't miss it.  Hannabone will regale with stories of his near death experiences on Black Canyon Creek Road, the Hells Angels rally that was in Gunnison at the same time we were,  the insane rides we went on, it will all be good, and it was all good.  All that being said, if you can't afford it, don't go.  The roads are there 365 days a year, you can experience the riding any time, and you can set your experiences accordingly, tenting, hotels, location etc.  But if you want the experiences of fellow riders who share your passion, and share the camaraderie of the bikes, go for the experience. You will have a great time, and what price do you put on that outcome? 

• Like 6
  • Plus 1 1
On 2/3/2023 at 9:29 AM, Whip said:

We can't fill 20 rooms at the Million Dollar Highway in Colorado for the UN Rally with some of the best mountain roads in the world.  WTF?

We had almost 200 people at Red Lodge.

I think some of the East Coast Un Rally's have been even bigger.

Is anyone from the East coming to Colorado?

Are we too old, fat, and lazy?

Are we riders or are we ex-riders and talkers?

I want to hear all the excuses.

Not a political rant ... just describing my current experience.

I simply don't have the Paid Time Off I once did. Don't have the disposable income I once did. Don't have a work environment that is conducive to taking off last minute that I once did. Post-covid, my work environment got even more difficult. I hear of leadership in lots of companies I work with complaining of employees leaving (lamenting the "great resignation" and general laziness), but then not filling many positions (on purpose) when people do leave (for whatever reason). Result:  The workforce (especially middle management) has more responsibilities thrust upon them covering for roles their companies didn't fill. 

Certainly, that's not true for everyone in every business sector. I know lots of people in the same boat. 

I can't wait to retire. 

But all that said, I'm trying to work out attending this UN. 

• Like 4
  • Plus 1 1
5 hours ago, Patallaire said:

...  The roads are there 365 days a year, you can experience the riding any time, ...

Sure.  Anytime between about May 25th and October 7th.  Unless late storms or early storms close the passes.

Cap, patiently waiting for May 25th or thereabouts

• Smile 1
39 minutes ago, Cap said:

Sure.  Anytime between about May 25th and October 7th.  Unless late storms or early storms close the passes.

I hear the summers are worth it 

• Plus 1 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
20 hours ago, Cap said:
21 hours ago, randy said:

I assume in order to get a Continental Divide sign picture, we need dual sport bikes?  It will not be accessible to our street bikes?

Cottonwood Pass is paved the whole way. 

It didn't used to be paved, but that didn't mean you couldn't get a street bike up there.  Enroute to the first Un 21 years ago:

2002-07-030.thumb.jpg.0fafe707e55e3debdd9e19a5f7c6598c.jpg

• Like 7
  • Plus 1 1
7 hours ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

It didn't used to be paved, but that didn't mean you couldn't get a street bike up there.  Enroute to the first Un 21 years ago:

2002-07-030.thumb.jpg.0fafe707e55e3debdd9e19a5f7c6598c.jpg

Gentlemen’s GS

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Limecreek said:

Gentlemen’s GS

I never knew that there were BMW riders that young.  Who knew?  I thought maybe minimum age was like, 58 years old, or something. 😏

:14::bike:

(Oops, that was actually @Joe Frickin' Friday's post.)

• Confused 1
On 2/10/2023 at 11:48 AM, Cap said:

If you're talking about Cottonwood Pass, then yeah, at that elevation it closes early and opens late.  But we went riding on December 14th (the last day before it got too cold and snowy) and have already been out on a couple of 50 degree days in January and one 61 degree day in February (plus some 50-degree days as well).  Basically, we ride somewhere between 10 and 10.5 months out of the year.  And that's just in the Rockies.  We have Utah to the west and it's open about 11 months out of the year.  So what do we do on the 4-8 weeks when the weather's too cold or a bit snowy?  Oil changes.  New tires.  General service work and farkling.

• Like 1

on google maps there is a road, from Nucla, CO to basically Delta, Co, it shows as 25Mesa Rd/Nucla-Delta Rd

Is this road paved? street bike rideable?

11 minutes ago, randy said:

on google maps there is a road, from Nucla, CO to basically Delta, Co, it shows as 25Mesa Rd/Nucla-Delta Rd

Is this road paved? street bike rideable?

Appears to be dirt.  Some say graded.  Columbine Pass is 9154'.  I've had an interest in it since I got my GS, but haven't made it there yet.

Satellite view shows it as paved up to X32 Rd, where it becomes gravel.  Where the surface is visible, it looks like it is well graded and ridable on a street bike. The current Maps photo shows that they don't plow the snow.

Transition is at

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Nucla,+CO+81424/@38.3210126,-108.4765079,357m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5!1s0x87389115c64b708b:0x48f39c8f90ac668b!8m2!3d38.2694347!4d-108.5478691!16zL20vMHJjNDk

The forum software changes that URL into a map of the nearby area, not the satellite view, so you will need to copy/paste it into your browser.  If you have Google Earth, the timeline of other photos might show more of the road without snow.

Pavement begins again at 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Nucla,+CO+81424/@38.6918637,-108.1481819,427a,35y,2.89t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5!1s0x87389115c64b708b:0x48f39c8f90ac668b!8m2!3d38.2694347!4d-108.5478691!16zL20vMHJjNDk

3 hours ago, lkraus said:

Satellite view shows it as paved up to X32 Rd, where it becomes gravel.  ...

The other way to get up on top of the "Dominguez-Escalante National Conservation Area" is to use the Divide Road off Hwy 141.  I often see lots of pickup trucks with trailers parked there, which I have interpreted to mean that the trails are for SxS and dirt bikes.  From Google Earth, it looks awesome.  But I have never been up there.

Who knows what the weather will be like in July... I had the good fortune once to catch a huge cloud burst one day while I was in Gateway canyon, and water was pouring over the rim of the canyon and into the Dolores river.  It was an awesome sight.

wet1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1

I'm pretty sure everything on top of the I0k' Uncompahgre Plateau is still dirt/gravel but the big roads are graded and maintained. I've ridden the I00 mile N-S Divide Road and is part of a I500 mile Colorado dirt loop I built over a period of years. Planned on modifying into a shorter loop in the SW so some Unrally participants can ride it or parts of it if they want, will put in GPS form and post it later.

• Plus 1 1
  • Thanks 1
22 hours ago, lkraus said:

Satellite view shows it as paved up to X32 Rd, where it becomes gravel.  Where the surface is visible, it looks like it is well graded and ridable on a street bike. The current Maps photo shows that they don't plow the snow.

Transition is at

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Nucla,+CO+81424/@38.3210126,-108.4765079,357m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5!1s0x87389115c64b708b:0x48f39c8f90ac668b!8m2!3d38.2694347!4d-108.5478691!16zL20vMHJjNDk

The forum software changes that URL into a map of the nearby area, not the satellite view, so you will need to copy/paste it into your browser.  If you have Google Earth, the timeline of other photos might show more of the road without snow.

Pavement begins again at 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Nucla,+CO+81424/@38.6918637,-108.1481819,427a,35y,2.89t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5!1s0x87389115c64b708b:0x48f39c8f90ac668b!8m2!3d38.2694347!4d-108.5478691!16zL20vMHJjNDk

thanks, added to the list.  Haven't been on that one.  

I am IN for The UN but in response to WTF has happened to us?

I believe (in part) that there are just so many more annual events now than we had 10-15 years ago that the majority of us just cant make it to many of them. If I recall correctly, when I first came here there was Torrey and the UN and seemingly everybody went. NOW, we have DART, FART, START, DVD, NMS, Ramona Days, Weaverville, Torrey 2X and The UN. Did I miss listing any events?

I greatly look forward to DVD, NMS and Weaverville here in my own home state every year. I can ride most any of these areas on my own most of the year. It's the people that are the big draw. Same with The UN, it's the people along with the great roads. I've never been one for blazing coast to coast for an event though. I could not justify the time/cost of coast to coast trip for a few days at the destination.

Now as a retiree/pensioner I travel a lot with my wife and have to balance those trips (international travel/time share/lengthy RV trips) along with my solo moto trips. We also have another grand child due this year. So many options/opportunities that we cannot partake in all of them. Life is GOOD!

Russ

FB_IMG_1670978472545.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was planning to come. BUT your idiot President has decided that those of us who are not vaccinated can't come into the USA... unless of course I am coming as an illegal alien...

Don't let this turn into politics

Whip

Edited by Whip
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
11 hours ago, SANTA said:

unless of course I am coming as an illegal alien...

Come on down!!! Joe-joe don't care...:java:

Whip

Edited by Whip
  • Thanks 1

but the guys at the border have orders...

Entry to the United States through Land or Ferry Ports of Entry

In separate but related announcements (see below), the controls on travel through land ports of entry on the Canadian and Mexican borders have also been modified. Starting January 22, 2022, all noncitizens who are nonimmigrants will be required to show proof that they have been fully vaccinated with an acceptable COVID-19 vaccine under the same vaccine standards as air travelers. Unlike air travel, however, travelers entering through land or ferry ports of entry were never subject to a pre-entry COVID-19 testing requirement.

Whip

Edited by Whip
  • Confused 1
11 hours ago, SANTA said:

unless of course I am coming as an illegal alien...

Seems to be one of the best options, free free free! :yes: And no vaccinations required. 

Whip

Edited by Whip
  • Plus 1 1

We are looking forward to the rally and  riding the Four Corners! The area  arguably has the most scenic and diverse roads in the country along with 300 days of sunshine!

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

I crossed the Canada-U.S. land border numerous times during the pandemic (I carried a Diplomatic passport at the time, and was not subject to border closures).  While I was fully vaccinated, I was never asked for proof when entering the U.S.  In fact I was nevere once asked any Covid-related questions by U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers.  I only offer this for information, not as any sort of guarantee that you wouldn't be asked, if you tried to enter the U.S. for the UnRally, using a regular Blue passport.  Also, because I'm fully vaccinated, I've lost track of what the requirements are now to re-enter Canada from the U.S.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
Yeeha Stephen
On 2/5/2023 at 12:58 AM, randy said:

....but the 2.5 years of the economy shut down did affect a lot of people....  No doubt inflation is affecting a lot of us, food, Gas, Motel, etc....
... in my small circle of friends right now money is tight for most of us.  

I'm scheduled to attend and have a reservation. One of the things that might make me bail is the economy. Not hurting right now but it surely makes me nervous. They told me I'd be living off a "fixed income" now. Ha!

SS

• Thinking 1
  • 2 weeks later...

For me personally, I can't commit because the wife is waiting for a date for a joint replacement she needs.  Right now she can't walk more than a few hundred meters at a time.  And I'm her designated driver and home care nurse.  So all we are doing for the summer is sticking around home and making easily cancelled reservations like local camping.   

Mike RC

• Sad 1
3 hours ago, MikeRC said:

For me personally, I can't commit because the wife is waiting for a date for a joint replacement she needs.  Right now she can't walk more than a few hundred meters at a time.  And I'm her designated driver and home care nurse.  So all we are doing for the summer is sticking around home and making easily cancelled reservations like local camping.   

Mike RC

Please give Linda our best and pass our hopes for an early procedure and stellar outcome!

• Plus 1 1
  • Thanks 1
Dennis Andress
3 hours ago, MikeRC said:

Mike RC

It's tempting to (escape summer in Tucson) head north from Purgatory and give personal hugs...

• Plus 1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/6/2023 at 7:50 AM, realshelby said:

Think about this. How old were most of us old timers here when we got into BMW's and/or BMWRT/ST? 

2003, age 34.  So this month that will be 20 years ago.  I ran across a box with all the rally hat pins I colleced over the course of a few summers back then.  Looking at them, its hard to believe that much time has passed.  Life happens, I guess.  Don't know if that makes me an old fart or not.  It was a lot easier to get to Gunnison from Iowa than anywhere in Colorado from Florida.  Thinking about that ride makes me tired.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 3/11/2023 at 9:15 AM, MikeRC said:

Mike RC

All my best to Linda,

• Plus 1 1
  • Thanks 1
On 4/7/2023 at 11:52 PM, Old_Mil said:

2003, age 34.  So this month that will be 20 years ago.  I ran across a box with all the rally hat pins I colleced over the course of a few summers back then.  Looking at them, its hard to believe that much time has passed.  Life happens, I guess.  Don't know if that makes me an old fart or not.  It was a lot easier to get to Gunnison from Iowa than anywhere in Colorado from Florida.  Thinking about that ride makes me tired.

That is why I trailer 

I would not attend half of the events I do if I didn’t trailer to them

15 to 20 hours spent on the highway on a motorcycle is not my idea of fun

I'm sure someday I may get to where I prefer to trailer but for now and being retired I much prefer to ride and take backroads most of the time unless interstates are a must.   I have trailered before and honestly hated it.   And it was 102 degrees when I left Charlotte the time I trailered.  I realize time is very limited for some and then trailering is a must.  When I was working and riding out west to get all lower 48 states ridden I would fly to Kansas City and rent.  But that was when Harley had a great corporate rental program which no longer exists.  I did that 5 years in a row and got to see a lot of the west. 

• Like 1
On 4/7/2023 at 11:52 PM, Old_Mil said:

what part of Iowa??? I was in Des Moines for a very long time and originally grew up in Oskaloosa.!