IGNORED

Helmet Search Blues

RandyShields

5 minutes ago, Lowndes said:

wait, wait!!

David - did you let the slip buckle all the way out on the ratchet end if the strap??  My Neotec II  has plenty of room, see below.  IF it still isn't enough strap, you could do like the airlines seat belt extension, or just install a longer piece of 1" webbing.

image.thumb.png.51cbe7218e7c23f7a07228492da32454.png

Or just buy a helmet with a D-ring :-) 

Lowndes....yes I did extend all the way.  I even watched a Shoei video on how to get maximum length by removing the rubber piece.  The best I could do was get maybe one notch on the ratchet and it was just too tight to imagine riding that way.  I even bought a spare pair of cheek pads to change along the way as they get gunky and smelly.  Sure wish it would have worked as I think everything else will be a compromise to the fit and comfort of Shoei.

1 minute ago, RTinNC said:

Or just buy a helmet with a D-ring :-) 

I dislike D-rings because i have to take off my gloves to insttall or remove them and it takes twice as long to latch or unlatch even without the gloves.  Ratchet strap for me is first priority after fit and price.

1 minute ago, Skywagon said:

Lowndes....yes I did extend all the way.  I even watched a Shoei video on how to get maximum length by removing the rubber piece.  The best I could do was get maybe one notch on the ratchet and it was just too tight to imagine riding that way.  I even bought a spare pair of cheek pads to change along the way as they get gunky and smelly.  Sure wish it would have worked as I think everything else will be a compromise to the fit and comfort of Shoei.

David,  what about splicing on a longer 1" strap to the existing strap up under the cheek pad??  That could be done without compromising the strength of the strap by using the same weight/strength components.

That might work, but would certainly void the warranty.  I'll give it some thought, but not sure I want to have to modify an expensive helmet because they tried to save a fraction of a penny on the chin strap.  Funny the chinstrap on my Neotec D-Ring is actually a bit too long.  Too bad you can't just unscrew them and replace them.  I like the idea of the ratchet, but this one is just too short.

RandyShields

First update:  Picked up the HJC i90 and today installed the thinner (20mm) cheek pads.  It fits great and I love the graphics.  Next -- need to take it for a ride to see how it performs.  One note, it comes with a pinlock ready shield, but you have to buy the pinlock separately.  So, with new cheek pads ($29) and a pinlock insert ($45), the price is a slightly higher than the $250 base cost of the helmet, but still way less that other premium priced helmets.

Should also get the Neotex 2 this week and looking forward to seeing how that fits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Skywagon said:

Well....looks like I am going to do my best imitation of Scott.  My new Neotec II arrived on Christmas Eve  I open the box and inspected for scratches, damages and date of mfg.  The helmet was perfect.  The date was March 2022 so I felt a little cheated but got over it instantly.

Next, wear the helmet around the house for a while before removing stickers.  Wow...the new material really felt great and it fit nicely.....EXCEPT.... that darn chinstrap.  In the store when I tried it on we didn't extend the strap all the way as it it fairly cumbersome to do so.  I extended it all the way, following Shoei video, and there is no way in HE double hockeysticks I can wear this helmet because I could barely get the first notch of the ratchet buckled and it felt like I had a noose on. 

I wrote Shoei, they responded quickly, about the possibility of changing the buckle to a D-Ring.  They said couldn't be done ( I had read somewhere you could for $80 which I would have paid).  Here is there response...a polite no.

The helmet is DOT homologated in North America using that micro ratchet chin strap. So, unfortunately we are unable to exchange out the chinstrap for the D-ring style because it would not be a DOT/North America helmet any longer.

Since I have 3 other Shoei's with D-Ring I was surprised by their answer.  I guess it has to do with this was how it was certified so any changes would require retesting.

I'll take it back to Cycle Gear tomorrow and start searcing again....Dang it.

Just caught up to your response on this thread.  I had the same experience on the Schuberth.  I was told that it could be replaced, so it was a secondary issue to fitment.  Like Lowndes, I much prefer the ratchet type strap, but unlike him, it's secondary to overall fitment and protection.  The Sedici helmets come with the D-ring.  Have heard/read that they can be replaced, but what I looked at initially were sort of klugy replacements.  Kind of surprised that they can't be replaced (I supposed they are riveted, but I haven't looked closely yet), or upgraded.  In the end, I can live with the tradition d-ring's (well, if I ever actually RIDE my RT 😖).

Lol @ sidenote:  When I tried my new helmet out after returning from my Christmas trip, I pulled my wife's LS2 Valiant out of the box so she could try it on again, because I wasn't sure we checked properly last winter when I bought it for her.   The next day, I asked her to try it on.  She said she already had, it fit just fine, it was lightweight, and she loved it.   I looked over at her box, still sealed, and asked her again.  She pointed at my large sized Sedici. 🙄🙄🙄  I replied that (a) that was a LARGE sized helmet, that certainly did not fit her 5' tall petite head, and that (b) her "much prettier helmet" was over in the other box.  She tried it on, said it felt heavy and oversized, and in truth, did look like an adult sized helmet on a small child.   It also moved forward and backwards way too much.  I bought some XS pads, told her that we'd try fitment again when they arrived, that we'd go over to Cyclegear to try a Sedici for her, that I was more that willing to sell off her new LS2 helmet because we didn't pay over $200 for it, and have her buy another helmet of her choice, ~~~~ IF ~~~~ she actually put some time on the back of the RT with me.   So, we'll see what happens with all that.   I've pretty much decided from this experience that expensive helmets like the Shoei that come in four shell sizes are probably more important (i.e. worth it) for smaller riders, or riders (like myself) between shell sizes, over the less expensive but still well made helmets that only come in two or three shell sizes.  The more accurate the shell size, likely, the better the fitment.

beemer chuck

Randy, if the Neotec 2 is too narrow you can try to buy a Japanese market helmet that is a rounder fit like the original Neotec was.

Shoei has tried to stop cross market sales, so might be tough to find. I paid around $400 for mine 2 years ago.

Might want to try a Schuberth C5. Tried one on at a show and found my very round Shoei xl head fit well in the size large C5.

57 minutes ago, taylor1 said:

Ya, they don't work. threw mine away

You didn't have it tight enough, you really gotta crank those straps down.  If you aren't turning purple, you don't have it tight enough,.....jeesh

• Haha 1
15 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Jawzrsize ?  :dontknow: I wouldn’t actually admit to buying one, but I might buy one. :D

:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow: Doesn't much look like it's used to reduce a double chin

image.png.830c76228c5c66ff166d20ae61a40198.png

• Smile 1
  • Thinking 1

Well fellers I figured out the issue with the Neotec II and why the chin ratchet doesn't work for me.

I don't have a double chin, yet...maybe 1.5.  At 5'11" and 185 I have some room to shrink but not a crazy amount.

Here is the answer to the riddle.  My Neotec has 13 inches of total chin strap length..that's why it is a bit too long but works great.  The Neotec II has a grand total of 5 inches completely stretched out.  I measured them both this morning before I return the II to the store today.

I also went to that great source of truth called the internet and it seems it is a common complaint of the II. When I talked with Shoei they said not uncommon issue.

Lowndes even tried to help with a couple of ideas and to make sure I had it all the way out.  So.........in conclusion if you have a fat neck or a turkey gobbler, the II will be a challenge.  I have neither and have never had a buckling issue with a helmet before.

Off to Cycle Gear to see what's next.  I hate to give up this Shoei especially since it was on sale for $659.  Everywhere else it fit great.  Maybe I could duct tape it on...

Shoei’s Neotec 2 is a premium modular helmet that can go toe-to-toe with industry mainstays such as the Schuberth C4 Pro. They’re the same price and close in quality, but the Shoei would come out on top in a direct comparison.

The Neotec 2 uses an aerodynamic shell design that’s reinforced with dual-layer EPS layers. Sculpted with an intermediate oval shape, this Shoei should comfortably fit most riders without a fuss. It features a 3D shaped and eyeglass-friendly comfort liner with pads that have been ergonomically shaped for optimized safety, fit, and comfort.

It’s a quiet helmet, as much as modular helmets can be, but it isn’t as quiet as it could be. However, Shoei has mentioned that it’s traded silence in exchange for airflow. Thanks to the use of intakes and exhausts, and Shoei’s Vortex Generator, ventilation is not a problem.

It’s not without its negative points though. The Neotec’s ratchet strap can be uncomfortable, and there’s no shortage of reviews mentioning that it can cut into your neck, with little room for adjustment. Apart from that, it’s one of the best modular helmets on the market

• Plus 1 1
48 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Well fellers I figured out the issue with the Neotec II and why the chin ratchet doesn't work for me.

I don't have a double chin, yet...maybe 1.5.  At 5'11" and 185 I have some room to shrink but not a crazy amount.

Here is the answer to the riddle.  My Neotec has 13 inches of total chin strap length..that's why it is a bit too long but works great.  The Neotec II has a grand total of 5 inches completely stretched out.  I measured them both this morning before I return the II to the store today.

I also went to that great source of truth called the internet and it seems it is a common complaint of the II. When I talked with Shoei they said not uncommon issue.

Lowndes even tried to help with a couple of ideas and to make sure I had it all the way out.  So.........in conclusion if you have a fat neck or a turkey gobbler, the II will be a challenge.  I have neither and have never had a buckling issue with a helmet before.

Off to Cycle Gear to see what's next.  I hate to give up this Shoei especially since it was on sale for $659.  Everywhere else it fit great.  Maybe I could duct tape it on...

Shoei’s Neotec 2 is a premium modular helmet that can go toe-to-toe with industry mainstays such as the Schuberth C4 Pro. They’re the same price and close in quality, but the Shoei would come out on top in a direct comparison.

The Neotec 2 uses an aerodynamic shell design that’s reinforced with dual-layer EPS layers. Sculpted with an intermediate oval shape, this Shoei should comfortably fit most riders without a fuss. It features a 3D shaped and eyeglass-friendly comfort liner with pads that have been ergonomically shaped for optimized safety, fit, and comfort.

It’s a quiet helmet, as much as modular helmets can be, but it isn’t as quiet as it could be. However, Shoei has mentioned that it’s traded silence in exchange for airflow. Thanks to the use of intakes and exhausts, and Shoei’s Vortex Generator, ventilation is not a problem.

It’s not without its negative points though. The Neotec’s ratchet strap can be uncomfortable, and there’s no shortage of reviews mentioning that it can cut into your neck, with little room for adjustment. Apart from that, it’s one of the best modular helmets on the market

Thanks for the follow up!  You confirmed what I had experienced and I don't have a turkey neck or double chin.  I could not get the ratchet even together on the Neotec.  But as I posted earlier ... I prefer the D-ring anyway.  In addition in other posts the D-ring has proven to be a tad safer in a get off.  

Thanks for the research! 

• Like 1
RandyShields
15 hours ago, beemer chuck said:

if the Neotec 2 is too narrow you can try to buy a Japanese market helmet that is a rounder fit like the original Neotec was.

Interesting idea.  I didn't know the models they make for that market were shaped differently.  Thoughts on how I would go about finding one and confirming its more round shape?

5 minutes ago, RandyShields said:

Interesting idea.  I didn't know the models they make for that market were shaped differently.  Thoughts on how I would go about finding one and confirming its more round shape?

Just a thought but the guy at the Rally from MotorcycleGear.com who was doing the LidPicker process knew more about helmets, brands, sizes, company personalities than anyone I have ever met or heard of.   He was truly a walking helmet encyclopedia.  I bet if you give him a call he could help you but you need to speak to him specifically.  Not sure of his name but I can check if I have it. 

UPDATE - his name is Aaron.  (yes I keep everything :-) ) 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Revzilla sell them? :5146:

Hmmm, I'm thinking ya'd do better checking out the kinky sex shops ...

... not that I'd know anything about that.   😱

• Haha 2
56 minutes ago, Scott9999 said:

Hmmm, I'm thinking ya'd do better checking out the kinky sex shops ...

... not that I'd know anything about that.   😱

:3:

On 1/3/2023 at 2:19 PM, RandyShields said:

First update:  Picked up the HJC i90 and today installed the thinner (20mm) cheek pads.  It fits great and I love the graphics.  Next -- need to take it for a ride to see how it performs.  One note, it comes with a pinlock ready shield, but you have to buy the pinlock separately.  So, with new cheek pads ($29) and a pinlock insert ($45), the price is a slightly higher than the $250 base cost of the helmet, but still way less that other premium priced helmets.

Should also get the Neotex 2 this week and looking forward to seeing how that fits.

I’ve had the i90 for a bit now and one thing that HJC did change from previous modular versions is the location of the visor slider. It was on top of the helmet which I preferred.  The i90 location is now on the lower left edge near the logical mount location of a Sena or Cardo. So, you kind of have to slide the unit aft from where you would probably locate it. Not a show stopper, but worth noting. Plus, I can’t seem to “find” the slider as easily with gloves on as when it was centered on top of the helmet.

• Like 1

Well....I can't believe this but one more update on the Neotec II saga.  I packaged it all up today and took it back to CycleGear for a refund.  The person at the counter said oh no, you have to ship it back.  I showed her a note from CycleGear customer service that said take it back to the store if I wanted or I could ship it for free.  The young tattooed complete face red/green haired/nose ringed young lady refunded the money.

While I was standing there one of the managers came up, saw she was just being a shiite, asked if he could help.  I told him I loved the helmet but the strap was way too short.  He thought he could fix it.  Pulled it out of the box and couldn't do anymore.  Said something was wrong.  Went to the back and came out with a new one.  Sure enough he was able to extend the strap beyond what I need.  So now I am the owner of a new Neotec II that actually fits.  The manager also noticed I had bought 3 other Shoei helmets there and many other things over time.

He decided since I was a loyal patient customer (and driven 50 miles twice), and his cashier had been a turd, he has something he wanted me to have.  He added in an additional gift (I won't say what), that I was looking at.  The price was $52 but gratis to me. He called HQ to make sure it was ok.

His conclusion was something was wrong with the strap and they would send it back to Shoei.  His conclusion is be helpful and courteous to customers unlike the lazy person at the cashier's check stand.

So.....today was a good day.  Now to transfer my Sena and retire the Neotec.  Going for a pretty long ride tomorrow.

Thanks CycleGear for taking care of me.

P.S.  Now I need to return the chin reduction tools that Roug sold to me.:19:

• Like 4
  • Plus 1 2
  • Smile 3
  • Haha 1
42 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Caveat Emptor, bruh!!  No refunds

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 3
8 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Well....I can't believe this but one more update on the Neotec II saga.  I packaged it all up today and took it back to CycleGear for a refund.  The person at the counter said oh no, you have to ship it back.  I showed her a note from CycleGear customer service that said take it back to the store if I wanted or I could ship it for free.  The young tattooed complete face red/green haired/nose ringed young lady refunded the money.

While I was standing there one of the managers came up, saw she was just being a shiite, asked if he could help.  I told him I loved the helmet but the strap was way too short.  He thought he could fix it.  Pulled it out of the box and couldn't do anymore.  Said something was wrong.  Went to the back and came out with a new one.  Sure enough he was able to extend the strap beyond what I need.  So now I am the owner of a new Neotec II that actually fits.  The manager also noticed I had bought 3 other Shoei helmets there and many other things over time.

He decided since I was a loyal patient customer (and driven 50 miles twice), and his cashier had been a turd, he has something he wanted me to have.  He added in an additional gift (I won't say what), that I was looking at.  The price was $52 but gratis to me. He called HQ to make sure it was ok.

His conclusion was something was wrong with the strap and they would send it back to Shoei.  His conclusion is be helpful and courteous to customers unlike the lazy person at the cashier's check stand.

So.....today was a good day.  Now to transfer my Sena and retire the Neotec.  Going for a pretty long ride tomorrow.

Thanks CycleGear for taking care of me.

Similar experience at my Cyclegear in nearby Spokane, Washington.  Cyclegear has EARNED my future business, because of the time Austin spent with my and my wife, plus an additional gift he gave to ensure that my membership to their RPM promotionally club, was essentially free.   Very impressed, and I'm a tough SOB to impress.

• Smile 1
On 12/21/2022 at 7:07 AM, strataj said:

Richard, I'm not that happy with the SC2, the volume isn't load enough, I've been working with the Schubert rep, nice guy but he can only tell me what Germany tells him.  Sena hasn't been much help because it's sold as a Schubert, they will help with how to use.  They recently came out with a Wounder Wheel fix, it doesn't work that well, I'm told they are working on it. It's such a sham the SC2 doesn't work like its twin sister Sena 50R.  If it wasn't for the fit and that I finally having a modular helmet I'd be back to my Aria and update the Sena 20s EVO with a Sena 50R or S.  I don't wear hearing aids but do have tinnitus.  One other note if if wasn't for the Quite Ride windscreen (22R1250RT) I wouldn't hear anything but noise. 

HAve you tried a Sena software update? I had the same problem with my old 20S. The update upgraded it to a louder much better experience. I now own a 50S which updates with the charging cable via WiFi. Marked difference. 

32 minutes ago, Rinkydink said:

HAve you tried a Sena software update? I had the same problem with my old 20S. The update upgraded it to a louder much better experience. I now own a 50S which updates with the charging cable via WiFi. Marked difference. 

Thanks but the Sena update hasn't made it way into Schuberth version https://oem.sena.com/schuberth/ .  I'm in contact with the Schuberth folks and have brought this upgrade to their attention.  It took months after Sena update enabling the Multi Controller (WonderWheel) for the S50's and that still has some issues.  Schuberth says the SC2 is alike to Sena S50R but it's not because it doesn't have the same software version. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, getting this discussion back on track, I have not so positive news about the HJC i90 helmet.  It is a great looking helmet and I had high hopes after installing the pinlock visor and thinner cheek pads (20 mm v. the standard 25 mm), but its first break-in ride yesterday proves why you don’t take a new helmet on long road trips.  I did a shortish afternoon ride of 145 miles; the helmet was quieter than I expected, but the flip up and visor mechanisms were not as smooth as they should be.  Fit and finish were OK, but not as nice as a Schuberth or Shoei.  More problematic, though, for the last hour of a 3½ hour ride, I got a splitting headache from the pressure of the cheek pads, which were still too tight. I knew it was the helmet (and not the cup of ice cream I had on a stop giving me brain freeze), because most of the pain started to dissipate as soon as I got home and thankfully got it off my head.  I am very disappointed, and now waiting for the Neotec II to arrive, hopefully this week.  As for the HJC, it will be good only for short rides, or someone will get a great deal on a new helmet worn only once.

• Sad 1

Sorry that didn’t work. May want to try the basketball trick. 

Update on my new Neotec II. I have about 500 miles on it and I honestly don’t like it. It is way more noisy than the Neotec and Multitec. It’s the loudest helmet I own. There is a hotspot on my right ear I can’t find. The SENA EVO has to be mounted as a stick on, which I knew about before I bought it. My stick on bracket is new. It doesn’t fit the curvature of the helmet very well. It keeps blowing off and dangling. I’m not keen on spending more money on the integrated SENA if I can’t make the helmet work for me. Ugh 

26 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Sorry that didn’t work. May want to try the basketball trick. 

Update on my new Neotec II. I have about 500 miles on it and I honestly don’t like it. It is way more noisy than the Neotec and Multitec. It’s the loudest helmet I own. There is a hotspot on my right ear I can’t find. The SENA EVO has to be mounted as a stick on, which I knew about before I bought it. My stick on bracket is new. It doesn’t fit the curvature of the helmet very well. It keeps blowing off and dangling. I’m not keen on spending more money on the integrated SENA if I can’t make the helmet work for me. Ugh 

I'll haveta look, but I think I used the squeeze bracket to mount my Sena 20S......think I put it 'tween the neck thingy and shell for the inner holder thingy

Thanks Roug.. if it worked take a picture please. I tried the to squeeze the regular bracket in like I did in my other helmet but it wasn’t working well and was pretty far back

David - Now that we have officially hijacked OP Randy's thread... 

I think Randy hit a tinder spot and "helmet fit" has turned into an "oil thread" of sorts.

To make up for the difference in curvature between the Sena plate and Neotec II shell, try a thicker double-sided tape like 3M:

image.png.669d61f26fb56175636184bca712f6cb.png

image.thumb.png.b1884df8917f1c3e014807097ab1b10f.png

Also, I have the Sena (SMH10B) and Cardo both mounted with the clamp-on brackets on my Neotec II.  I can use either but not at the same time, not enough room between the brackets to mount both pods at the same time.  Not sure why the clamp wouldn't work on yours, maybe a different style clamp??   https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/topic/105596-sena-vs-cardo-poll/#comment-1129207

Yeah, it's a little tight with the drop-down visor slider and gloves at first but after a ride or three you don't notice it.

image.thumb.png.a06826b271d964b1a30ad3202af422a5.png

Melissa and I are in the helmet buying phase as well.  We went to the local Cycle  Gear here in Georgia and they were very helpful. We bought a jacket, pants and boots for Melissa and had her try on just about every helmet in the store.  She has an Arai head so that is what she got -$520 later. 😩

I love a Schuberth and ended up buying one from Chromeburner.com since it was over $100 less and shipped free from the Netherlands.  The helmet arrived one day after Melissa’s but is too small.  I just reordered a larger one and have the medium for sale here in the classifieds.  I got the C3 Pro since I didn’t want the garbage comms system in the overpriced C4 and C5.  My Sena SMH10 works just fine.

Arai Contour X 

Well here is a new entry into the helmet space.  Only for full face guys though.  I like the light weight and they FINALLY updated the shield removal process from the previous arcane process.   This one is light years better but still not as simple as Shoei.  If this were a long oval I'd be very tempted as Arai and shoei are my 2 go to brands. 

https://www.araiamericas.com/contour-x-technology

16 hours ago, RTinNC said:

Arai Contour X 

Well here is a new entry into the helmet space.  Only for full face guys though.  I like the light weight and they FINALLY updated the shield removal process from the previous arcane process.   This one is light years better but still not as simple as Shoei.  If this were a long oval I'd be very tempted as Arai and shoei are my 2 go to brands. 

https://www.araiamericas.com/contour-x-technology

I had a Corsair X, 'twas a great helmet, very light, wind noise was extremely low.  Sold it after selling the HP4 and went back to modular.  If Arai ever made a modular, I'd prolly get one again,......or if I felt going back to fullface was the better option.  

Finally picked up the last entry in the sweepstakes, the Shoei Neotec II (Winsome TC-6).  Boy, what a fantastic looking helmet.  Helmet finish is great; visor and chin bar slide easily.  Fit feels good with thinner cheek pads.  (Then again, so did the HJC until hour 3).  Can't wait to take it on a test ride this weekend.

helmet.jpg

• Like 4

I put the thin cheek pads in mine too. Hope it’s all you want it to be. Will be curious to hear your report on wind noise. I still think wind wise much noisier than Neotec. Could be just me. 

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, RandyShields said:

Finally picked up the last entry in the sweepstakes, the Shoei Neotec II (Winsome TC-6).  Boy, what a fantastic looking helmet.  Helmet finish are great; visor and chin bar slide easily.  Fit feels good with thinner cheek pads.  (Then again, so did the HJC until hour 3).  Can't wait to take it on a test ride this weekend.

helmet.jpg

Congratulations Randy, great looking helmet, would be my choice of color, have a successful test ride.

Terry

5 hours ago, RandyShields said:

Finally picked up the last entry in the sweepstakes, the Shoei Neotec II (Winsome TC-6).  Boy, what a fantastic looking helmet.  Helmet finish is great; visor and chin bar slide easily.  Fit feels good with thinner cheek pads.  (Then again, so did the HJC until hour 3).  Can't wait to take it on a test ride this weekend.

helmet.jpg

That is a very nice looking lid for sure !!   Hope it works out for you.   I am a huge fan of Shoei helmets. 

Well finally.  Good news to report.  Went out today on a 90 minute, 75 mile ride and the new Neotec II was quite comfortable.  No hot spots or headaches.  Smoother operation of the visor.  Everything in the same place as my prior Neotec.  I think we have a winner.  It still has that "new car smell" with the adhesives that some hot, sweaty riding should get rid of.

I still need to take it out on some all-day rides, but I am optimistic that this is the one.  Time to install the Pinlock and Packtalk.  One difference: the first opening notch on the visor is about double the opening of the Neotec, letting in a lot more air.  Not sure I like all that flow when I just want a slight breeze, but I will probably get use to it.  To David's question, I couldn't tell that it was any louder (or quieter) than my previous Neotec.  Hopefully my long search is at an end. . . .

• Like 3
1 hour ago, RandyShields said:

Well finally.  Good news to report.  Went out today on a 90 minute, 75 mile ride and the new Neotec II was quite comfortable.  No hot spots or headaches.  Smoother operation of the visor.  Everything in the same place as my prior Neotec.  I think we have a winner.  It still has that "new car smell" with the adhesives that some hot, sweaty riding should get rid of.

I still need to take it out on some all-day rides, but I am optimistic that this is the one.  Time to install the Pinlock and Packtalk.  One difference: the first opening notch on the visor is about double the opening of the Neotec, letting in a lot more air.  Not sure I like all that flow when I just want a slight breeze, but I will probably get use to it.  To David's question, I couldn't tell that it was any louder (or quieter) than my previous Neotec.  Hopefully my long search is at an end. . . .

Good news !!  Yay!   Now you should do what I did with my RF1100 .... buy a back up and keep it in the box on a shelf in a closet.  Then in 4 or 5 years you will have a brand new helmet that fits perfectly and you don't have to do the "helmet dance" again. 

• Smile 1
1 hour ago, RTinNC said:

buy a back up and keep it in the box on a shelf in a closet.

Ed, thanks for the suggestion, but there are a number of reasons why I wouldn’t do that:

1. In 5 years, I wouldn’t want to switch to a helmet that is already 5 years old.  Even though it would have sat on the shelf out of the sun,, it is not brand new, and  I would be wary of any deterioration over that long a time;
  2. If I wanted that same helmet in 5 years, I would rather find a newly manufactured version of that model;
  3. In 5 years, there might be a better/nicer model of the Shoei Neotec II (Neotec III?); in that case, I could probably get the existing Neotec II on a closeout price, or go with the newer model;
  4. I might want to try a different brand; I am intrigued by the positive reviews and new shape of the Schuberth C5 and it might be even better in 5 years.  Or there might be something even better available then.
2 hours ago, RandyShields said:

Ed, thanks for the suggestion, but there are a number of reasons why I wouldn’t do that:

1. In 5 years, I wouldn’t want to switch to a helmet that is already 5 years old.  Even though it would have sat on the shelf out of the sun,, it is not brand new, and  I would be wary of any deterioration over that long a time;
  2. If I wanted that same helmet in 5 years, I would rather find a newly manufactured version of that model;
  3. In 5 years, there might be a better/nicer model of the Shoei Neotec II (Neotec III?); in that case, I could probably get the existing Neotec II on a closeout price, or go with the newer model;
  4. I might want to try a different brand; I am intrigued by the positive reviews and new shape of the Schuberth C5 and it might be even better in 5 years.  Or there might be something even better available then.

Yep all logical thoughts …. But there would be little deterioration if properly stored. 

I just know that having a tough noggin to fit I don’t want the risk of having to hunt for a helmet. 

After I posted I suspected I’d see a similar reply.   If something better is available then I’d buy it and take the loss for the backup.  I’m just happy I have a new helmet that fits perfectly to mount my new 50s on. 

At 6’3” with 35” inseam and 36” sleeves  I’ve learned if I find something that works get a backup.   But as always YMMV .

MotoLegends in Guildford, UK [yes, that is the correct spelling] and very much present on YouTube, has a Primer on helmets from “The Chap in the Cap” that is well done and 95 percent perfect albeit lengthy. No music, no BS, cites head shapes and even suggests local try-ons (despite being a vendor for Arai, Klim, Schuberth, Shark and Shoei). This YT presenter co-founded MotoLegends with Sarah, his SO, and is The Real Deal. MotoLegends sells European (and Klim) clothing and boots that could make Andy of Aerostich green with envy. Lots of brands whose names begin with the letter “R” (what is that all about ?).

Edited by CycleHead
Add information