IGNORED

Sena vs Cardo Poll

John Ranalletta

Which mesh brand are you using?  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

John Ranalletta

From listening to members at ARTs and UNs, it seems Sena is the most used system.  Please consider responding to this poll.  Responder's names will be shown so anyone considering a mesh system can get a sense of usage in his/her riding area.

Had both.  Just switched to the Cardo Edge over the Sena 50s.  The cardo Edge is way better.  Between me and he wife it is clearer with significantly less noise/static.  

• Plus 1 1

Agree with TS Conver .....I ride with two different groups....one rides with Sena and the other Cardo.  Cardo seems to be by far the best in terms of mesh connection.  Sena, to me, is hit and miss.  I'm trying to convince the Sena group to switch to Cardo!!

Take in to consideration what brand your riding buddies have.  My two Sena’s have worked perfectly for over 6 years. Had one speaker quit and a complete dual speaker replacement was sent next day with no questions asked. 

• Like 1

My buddies and I all started with Sena.  Before mesh, Sena was the way to go. It was better than hand gestures.

We all tried Sena mesh, and found it unreliable and poor audio quality.  So we all switched to Cardo mesh, which has worked well and has pretty good audio quality.

• Plus 1 1
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Rinkydink said:

Take in to consideration what brand your riding buddies have.  My two Sena’s have worked perfectly for over 6 years. Had one speaker quit and a complete dual speaker replacement was sent next day with no questions asked. 

Agree...I only say that I'm using Sean 50S (mesh) and find it works fine...MUCH better than BT versions.  Can't comment on Cardo... lack of experience with that brand.

5 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

With permission, @John Ranalletta, has anybody had success using both in the same group, i.e. Cardo mesh with Sena mesh user?

Just tried this yesterday without success.  Had to switch my Cardo PackTalk Bold from DMC to BT to connect with my friend's 50S.  Due to this I could not figure out how to connect my Zumo XT to my Cardo.  Will try again when we have time to play around.  

• Plus 1 1

My own personal experience, bought a Sena SMH-10 many years ago and it worked perfect, although volume was an issue with earplugs. Upgraded to a Sena 20s EVO and it was very unreliable.

Battery wouldn't last as long

Connectivity issues with other riders

phone volume couldn't be increased when taking a call, etc., etc. etc.

Finally just trashed it and went back to the old SMH-10.

Will probably upgrade to the Cardo next spring, due to the claimed excellent JBL audio quality.

I started with a Sena 20s. I learned early on that software updates were key to great performance. My new Sena 50s auto updates via Wi-Fi with the charging cord. Night and day difference between the two I’ve owned. Rode for hours in a steady downpour and never had even a hiccup. 

I've had several models of each brand (Cardo and Sena) in the last 6-7 years. 

I've modified a Sena SRL to be able to use earplugs without cutting wires or soldering.  That was before it died a month out of warranty.  Sena said the only option was to buy another unit full price.  I declined.  I've replaced a Sena battery in a friend's unit when his battery gave up (Sena said it was not possible to to replace the battery and he should buy a new unit).  As I remember the replacement battery was less than $10 on Amazon and increased the talk time by 15-20% over the OEM battery, but had to be soldered in.

The Cardo's (four different models) have not needed to be modified or batteries replaced yet, but saw once that their batteries are replaceable, available, and plug and play.

There is a Packtalk Black and a Sena SMH10B on my helmet now.  One group I frequently ride with swapped over to Cardo several years back.  Another occasional

group is still using Sena.  

The Cardo functionality, firmware, and hardware is way superior to the Sena.  The buiggest thing we had to learn when connecting is patience.  The leader clicks in last and then waits, sometimes a minute or so, then everyone is connected.  Doesn't matter if you drift out of range, turn it off and on, or wait 6 months, you're still connected.  There is a great story about that, happened during a traffic stop in Covington, VA on the way to the UN last year.

The Sena seems to have issues when the group is larger than 2-3.  Not sure about the Cardo, I think we've had 6-7 in a group, no issues.

Another important aspect is SERVICE.  One of the members above and I were leaving on a three day ride to Cedar Key early one morning last year.  When we met up he discovered his Cardo's boom mic was not working properly.  We looked up a Cycle Gear shop found one about 45 min away, not far from our route.  We arrived at opening time and explained the problem.  The lady there brought aout a box of spare Cardo parts, gave him (NO CHARGE) a brand new boom mic, said that Cardo gives them a box of spare parts for just these types of situations.  Sena doesn't.

image.thumb.png.dd4cfb6f1442890ec2b2a5112403828b.png

Two mics

image.thumb.png.e497f6d275b4747475e5a8002f32676b.png

• Like 3

I had a Sena 10s for probably over 8 years and it has worked like a champ.   Battery still runs all day 12+ hours and never an issue.   At the MOA Rally in Springfield I bought the 50 with Mesh and it is really amazing.  Connect with ease and the sound is as clear as I have ever experienced.   From my experience it seems like both brands have pros and cons so I say buy what your riding buddies use.  Everyone I ride with runs Sena and the only issues are with the built in versions on the Neotec and Shuberth.   The battery life sucks and usually lasts until lunch.   The guys I know have switched to the non-integrated versions and are much happier. 

RandyShields

I was waiting for Lowndes to weigh in on this topic and he did.  I have also been through a number of each:

My first comm system was the built-in Cardo unit for a Schuberth C3.  I liked how clean it was in the helmet, but it was finicky, didn't have a lot of range or connectivity, and had a battery life issues.  That experience soured me a bit on Cardo, so with my Neotec, I went with the built-in Sena 10U.  Again, clean, but it did not benefit from easily upgradable technology and also had batteries that ran down after a year or so.  I actually got a new Sena 10U right before a cross-country ride, because I never had an exterior mounted unit and didn't want to fuss with that.  It was this internal unit that Lowndes added the battery to (although it too ultimately died).

Cardo then came out with better technology with the Packtalk Bold.  It utilized mesh technology to connect more riders, and was functionally much better that the Sena 20 (and the ill-fated 30 which was a disaster).  As a number of riding friends were flexing to the Cardo, I did the same and have generally been quite pleased.  It is still a bit finicky to connect with a number of riders, but we have always been successful in pairing up, even with 6-7 riders.  I think the technology is very similar to the Sena 50, which has gotten good reviews.  One positive is that the Cardo is fully waterproof whereas the Sena is not.  

One downside to Cardo is that its new Edge uses an upgraded mesh technology that only connects to other Edge devices.  Reviewers all say it has way better sound and connectivity features, but why they didn't make it fully compatible with their state of the art Packtalk, I don't know.  (Oh, unless they want more people to buy the new unit.)  If your group uses the Packtalk, you will all need to migrate to the Edge or you will have connectivity issues.

At the end of the day, it really depends on who you ride with.  With a universal pairing function that generally sucks for both brands, probably best to get the same brand unit they all use. 

By the way, as I am exploring a new Neotec II, I see that the built-in Sena unit is based on the Sena 20 technology, and now comes with a mesh functionality -- the SRL Mesh.  I swore after less than stellar experiences with built-in comm systems that I would never go there again, but it is very clean looking and, now that it has mesh, hmmm, thinking about it again. . . .

7 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

With permission, @John Ranalletta, has anybody had success using both in the same group, i.e. Cardo mesh with Sena mesh user?

We tried with no success.  I would have been overjoyed if it worked.  Now I have to switch out coms depending on the group I'm riding with.

12 minutes ago, RandyShields said:

I was waiting for Lowndes to weigh in on this topic and he did.  I have also been through a number of each:

My first comm system was the built-in Cardo unit for a Schuberth C3.  I liked how clean it was in the helmet, but it was finicky, didn't have a lot of range or connectivity, and had a battery life issues.  That experience soured me a bit on Cardo, so with my Neotec, I went with the built-in Sena 10U.  Again, clean, but it did not benefit from easily upgradable technology and also had batteries that ran down after a year or so.  I actually got a new Sena 10U right before a cross-country ride, because I never had an exterior mounted unit and didn't want to fuss with that.  It was this internal unit that Lowndes added the battery to (although it too ultimately died).

Cardo then came out with better technology with the Packtalk Bold.  It utilized mesh technology to connect more riders, and was functionally much better that the Sena 20 (and the ill-fated 30 which was a disaster).  As a number of riding friends were flexing to the Cardo, I did the same and have generally been quite pleased.  It is still a bit finicky to connect with a number of riders, but we have always been successful in pairing up, even with 6-7 riders.  I think the technology is very similar to the Sena 50, which has gotten good reviews.  One positive is that the Cardo is fully waterproof whereas the Sena is not.  

One downside to Cardo is that its new Edge uses an upgraded mesh technology that only connects to other Edge devices.  Reviewers all say it has way better sound and connectivity features, but why they didn't make it fully compatible with their state of the art Packtalk, I don't know.  (Oh, unless they want more people to buy the new unit.)  If your group uses the Packtalk, you will all need to migrate to the Edge or you will have connectivity issues.

At the end of the day, it really depends on who you ride with.  With a universal pairing function that generally sucks for both brands, probably best to get the same brand unit they all use. 

By the way, as I am exploring a new Neotec II, I see that the built-in Sena unit is based on the Sena 20 technology, and now comes with a mesh functionality -- the SRL Mesh.  I swore after less than stellar experiences with built-in comm systems that I would never go there again, but it is very clean looking and, now that it has mesh, hmmm, thinking about it again. . . .

Yup ... that is what works best.   I have tried a few times mixing brands and it truly was awful if it worked at all. 

I have ridden in some rain so hard I could not see in front of the bike and never had issues with any of my Sena units.   I thought the 50 was said to be waterproof but no matter it seems fine. 

I know 3 people whit built in Sena units and the benefit (looks better) do now out weigh the negatives ... battery life,  ease of charging (have to have the actual helmet plugged in and you can move it from helmet to helmet.  I don't see the benefit of the built in unit at all. 

RandyShields
9 minutes ago, RTinNC said:

I don't see the benefit of the built in unit at all. 

I think the only benefit is the clean look, without having a wart hanging on the side of your helmet. But, as you say, if the functionality is not as good, probably better to go with the growth.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, RandyShields said:

I think the only benefit is the clean look, without having a wart hanging on the side of your helmet. But, as you say, if the functionality is not as good, probably better to go with the growth.

and honestly I don't mind the look and I am usually pretty anal about that stuff.  

Like Garmin Nav6 issues I just don't understand why Sena can't get the integrated units so work nearly as well as the units mounted outside 

5 hours ago, Lowndes said:

I've had several models of each brand (Cardo and Sena) in the last 6-7 years. 

I've modified a Sena SRL to be able to use earplugs without cutting wires or soldering.  That was before it died a month out of warranty.  Sena said the only option was to buy another unit full price.  I declined.  I've replaced a Sena battery in a friend's unit when his battery gave up (Sena said it was not possible to to replace the battery and he should buy a new unit).  As I remember the replacement battery was less than $10 on Amazon and increased the talk time by 15-20% over the OEM battery, but had to be soldered in.

The Cardo's (four different models) have not needed to be modified or batteries replaced yet, but saw once that their batteries are replaceable, available, and plug and play.

There is a Packtalk Black and a Sena SMH10B on my helmet now.  One group I frequently ride with swapped over to Cardo several years back.  Another occasional

group is still using Sena.  

The Cardo functionality, firmware, and hardware is way superior to the Sena.  The buiggest thing we had to learn when connecting is patience.  The leader clicks in last and then waits, sometimes a minute or so, then everyone is connected.  Doesn't matter if you drift out of range, turn it off and on, or wait 6 months, you're still connected.  There is a great story about that, happened during a traffic stop in Covington, VA on the way to the UN last year.

The Sena seems to have issues when the group is larger than 2-3.  Not sure about the Cardo, I think we've had 6-7 in a group, no issues.

Another important aspect is SERVICE.  One of the members above and I were leaving on a three day ride to Cedar Key early one morning last year.  When we met up he discovered his Cardo's boom mic was

................Two mics

5 hours ago, Lowndes said:

image.thumb.png.e497f6d275b4747475e5a8002f32676b.png

Hey @Lowndes I think we found you a nickname.

2 hours ago, simskid said:

We tried with no success.  I would have been overjoyed if it worked.  Now I have to switch out coms depending on the group I'm riding with.

Thanks.   I have heard similar sentiment at gatherings, in person.

If you go the Two Mics route, just make sure you know which comm you are using at the time and keep that mic in the helmet.   It helps others hear you better.   Do ask Lowndes how he knows about that.   

:whistle:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

For a low priced option with medium features I use the EJEAS V6 Pro intercom, $46.74 each. Easy to talk with wife while riding. Also good for music from iPhone and directions from GPS. I wear a full face helmet and can talk on the phone and callers don't know I am on the bike.

3 hours ago, Bernied said:

For a low priced option with medium features I use the EJEAS V6 Pro intercom, $46.74 each. Easy to talk with wife while riding. Also good for music from iPhone and directions from GPS. I wear a full face helmet and can talk on the phone and callers don't know I am on the bike.

The issue is if you ride with others who don’t have same brand getting them to work together is never good