IGNORED

Helmet Search Blues

RandyShields

Well, my long helmet search continues.  As my trusty Shoei Neotec is over 6 years old has been ready to be traded out for some time, I’ve been struggling to find the right modular helmet replacement. 

After seeing a few friends wearing Schuberth E1s, I really liked the design and the built-in peak as a sun visor.  And who could go wrong with Schuberth’s legendary quality and fantastic color schemes? However, after two failed forays in this direction, with both a L and XL, tightness and forehead pressure led to the realization that the shell was a bad fit and I sent them on to new homes. 

image.png.30a0feb9b33b91fb542a89fa4b0ba943.png

Staying with the desire for an adventure helmet with a peak, in January 2022 I purchased a Nolan X70-2X.  This was a great looking helmet from the “Modular” category on Revzilla’s site.  When it arrived, I was pretty shocked to see that it was not a traditional modular helmet, but rather a “crossover” helmet with different configurations, like completely removing the chin bar.  If I had done a better job of research, I would have seen that there were no photos of the chin bar being pulled up and wouldn’t have wasted my time with this.

image.png.4cef4c8d52f269b9a26acf03d71fba58.png

Then, over the summer, I had the opportunity for a LidPicker head measurement at the MOA Rallye in Springfield, MO.  (The Lid Picker).  No wonder the Schubeths didn’t fit – the total circumference was right, but my head shape is more round than intermediate oval, so the narrowness of the helmets actually made them one of the worst fits for me on their chart. And it also explained that, while I should wear a medium, I always had to get a large to accommodate my odd head shape.

I then shifted my focus to more round helmets from their data.  After a positive review by Terry of Perry, I tried on a very reasonably priced Bell SRT at a nearby moto store, but it was not right either. 

image.png.fd62dbfea40e97c92f22bbc7142e8e61.png

Next, I ordered a Klim TK1200 from Dennis Kirk and a Nolan N100-5 from Revzilla.  The Klim was too tight and, while sporting an advanced Transitions face shield, it did not come with a drop-down sun visor.  Even with the Transitions face shield, the lack of a drop-down sun visor is a deal killer for me, so back it went.  Again, poor up-front research that led to a wasted purchase. 

image.png.8dee23fec19f5c905c0cc990f923c26b.png

The Nolan, at only $420, fit very well.  I thought I had finally concluded my search.  But after examining it more closely, I was concerned about being able to mount my Cardo Packtalk Bold comm system to it because the speaker pockets on the Nolan were so small.  Yep, after further research (which I should have done up front), several riders commented that the speaker pockets – designed for the proprietary Nolan comm system – were too small for the 40ish mm JBL speakers from the Cardo without drilling out or cutting the holes larger.  I didn’t want to do that, so back went the Nolan.  You would have thought I learned my lesson now on helmet research but hopefully these difficult experiences will benefit others going through the same process.  (As a side note, I really liked the fit and finish of this Nolan helmet and would have held onto it if the speakers had fit.  Great price too.)

image.png.9081b19aec81ec0ec9eb2ba89c60b7f3.png

The most recent purchase was an HJC i90 from Cycle Gear, part of the same family that includes Revzilla.  This is a mid-level helmet and, even with graphics this helmet only cost $250.  I am hoping it fits and is of sufficient quality to keep (I had a full face HJC back in the day and it fit well, so fingers crossed.)  I am having it shipped to a nearby Cycle Gear store, so if it doesn’t fit or I don’t like it, I can hand it right back to them and not hassle with a shipping return.  Love the color scheme.

image.png.b7975213776983586f92fc86c5f0fa24.png

Finally, to hedge my bets, I bit the bullet and tried on the Shoei Neotec II (Winsome TC-6) at our local BMW shop.  It fits pretty well (likely better with smaller cheek pads like in my current Neotec), and the fit and finish is top-notch.  It has outstanding reviews online.  This helmet now lists for the steep price of $900, but our dealer can match some online discounts, bringing the price down to $765.   With so many epic fails with other helmets, this is probably the safest direction to go.

image.png.836c10f1b4d9b6e9472e819e9d972b86.png

More to come when the HJC and Shoei arrive.

• Like 3
  • Smile 1

Golly Randy, are you trying to create your own helmet store to compete?  :classic_biggrin:

Thanks for the info and being a tester.   

I have to thanks Joel for making me want a helmet with a peak. "Oh, the sunshine does not bother ME; I have a nice peak to help with shade."  Or something like that.  LOL   

When I saw a modular helmet with a peak, I knew I had to try it out.  I have had a new Schuberth E1 since late July and my thoughts about it are typical with pressure points common with Schuberth..  I had a C4, previously, and it fit tight at first.  After some time, I became used to it; broke it in, so to speak.   Then after a couple of years, it started hurting after 6 - 7 hours of use.  :dontknow:  My C4 was sized L and the E1 is XL, with a better fit, so far.

The only complaint about my E1 is the anti-fog pinlock.   On the ride to Yoder's last week, the face shield started to fog at the lower level inch, or two.   Upon arrival at the lunch stop, I removed the pinlock and wiped everything dry and re-installed.  Still fogged up.  It was a cool, damp day.   When I got home, I found the pinclock was not properly sealed at the bottom center of face shield.   I could not get it re-positioned properly so I ordered another one.  Why it became unusable is beyond me.  I use this helmet regularly on my commute M-F, in all weather.  Nothing out of the ordinary would have caused any issue with the pinlock.   The reason I say this is because I could not get the new anti-fog pinlock installed well enough to seal at the bottom center, either; same as before.  I thought I was installing it correctly, but apparently not.  I will have to visit the world wide web for video instruction regarding tips.

On the RT, behind my Werks Quiet Ride, the peak gets little-to-no buffeting.  At first use, it was noticeable, but I got used to it and do not pay attention to it anymore.   But on my R 1200 C, the wind protection is less; I have a windscreen, but no fairing - so wind buffeting at high speeds (80+ mph) is very noticeable on the peak.  Very noticeable.  I alternate commuting on this bike, so the peak flutter is not a big deal, although I do go slightly above the posted 45mph speed limit at times.   :bike:

Another issue to consider is the field of view.  In my case, it gets limited with the peak, limiting the view field between that and the top of the wind screen.   It takes some getting used to when one wears bi-focal glasses.  Not a dealer breaker, but compared to a modular helmet without a peak, you never realize how much that vision is affected.

Sorry to hack into your review thread.  I thought I could add something to the conversation about the E1. 

Thanks,

• Like 1
  • Smile 1

Randy: Your post made me laugh!  But I understand how difficult it can be to get a helmet just right....

Just for giggles...You're not the only one with an odd-shaped head....I got sized up at a gathering at Barber's about 8 years ago, and he sold me a Large Arai, which I never was able to wear, because the helmet was too small and didn't cover my chin.

My head's like a lumpy egg with a sloping forehead, so here's how I was able to get a Klim TK1200 to fit without pressure or wobble:

• bought a 2XL (My Shoei Neotec is an XL)
  • put a Large top liner in it,

Now, it fits well, is snug, and blocks wind noise very well.

It's not easy for "jugheads", "bucket heads", "eggheads", etc......

• Like 1
  • Smile 1

Randy, hope you find something that works. Been through the helmet dance as well. Went to a modular with a Shoei Neotec II about four years ago when I had to start wearing glasses full time. Tried a Schuberth first, never really fit correctly and didn't like how the shield automatically closed (think they have changed this function on the newer models).  

The Neotec II is a good helmet but I really don't need the flip up function. Just added weight for a function I don't use.  Bought a Carbon Fiber HJC RPHA to replace the Neotec II. DyAnne really likes her RPHA modular and it's super light.  High quality helmet but just didn't fit.  

Went back to my Arai Quantum.  Immediately remembered why I like Arai, perfect fit for my head.  Definitely missed the internal sun shield of my Neotec II not something that Arai makes. When I was younger I primary used a dark face shield but that doesn't work with my 60 year old eyes in the shadows you find riding in the Appalachians. Arai has very elegant solution where the dark visor mounts on the face shield.  Works great.

20221218_100450.thumb.jpg.1cd0be95b0df2a90a84f084da00438fe.jpg

The Quantum is seven years old and needed replacing.  I knew I wanted a Arai and found some great reviews on the new Quantic.  It's the first helmet to meet the EC 22.06 standard and is not for sale in the USA yet. Champion Helmets in the Netherlands wont/can't sell Arai's outside of Europe but FC Moto in Deutschland shipped one to the house.  Around 600 shipped.

The helmet is fantastic on the GS and GT.  The ventilation is fantastic as are the overall aerodynamics of the helmet.  Super quiet but I'm damn near deaf so not really a good reference. Here is a LINK

• Like 3
  • Plus 1 1
  • Smile 1
50 minutes ago, BamaJohn said:

Randy: Your post made me laugh!  But I understand how difficult it can be to get a helmet just right....

Just for giggles...You're not the only one with an odd-shaped head....I got sized up at a gathering at Barber's about 8 years ago, and he sold me a Large Arai, which I never was able to wear, because the helmet was too small and didn't cover my chin.

My head's like a lumpy egg with a sloping forehead, so here's how I was able to get a Klim TK1200 to fit without pressure or wobble:

• bought a 2XL (My Shoei Neotec is an XL)
  • put a Large top liner in it,

Now, it fits well, is snug, and blocks wind noise very well.

It's not easy for "jugheads", "bucket heads", "eggheads", etc......

HA!  You must have gotten fitted by the same guy that fitted me once at the International MC Show.  It was the guy from Service Pavilion and he told me to put on a helmet that had chin totally exposed and said "Yup that's your size" !   My buddies could not stop laughing.  Thankfully I did not buy that helmet! 

I have a very tough head to fit and for years wore an Arai Signet XXXL (the original Signet)   then when they stopped making the Signet and moved to the Profile they did not offer it in XXXL.  Fortunately I was able to buy a couple from a guy on eBay who had NOS helmets.  Finally by chance I was at Competition Accessories Store in SC before it closed and tried on a Shoei RF1100 in XXL.  WOW it fit like a champ. When they moved to the RF1200 I tried it but was told by the Shoei Rep the head shape has in fact changed.  UGH!    Thankfully I was able to buy another shiny new RF1100 that I have kept in the box in my climate controlled home.  I just last month took out my NEW RF1100 and mounted up my Sena 50s and BAM!   New helmet that fits perfectly.  

Being a though size to fit 36" inseam, 36/37" arms and a "big noggin" when I find a product that woks I usually buy a backup just in case,  which is what I did with the RF1100.

Randy mentioned Lid Picker and can't say enough good stuff about Motorcycle Gear guys and the Lid Picker process.  They spent 30+ minutes with me measuring my noggin and then explaining all the helmets that would work for me.  Fortunately the helmet I have is one that Lid Picker says fits and they also said the new RF1400 would work as it is not the same head shape as the 1200.   I really like the Shoei products and the easy change face shield.  I am also a D-ring guy and not at all a fan of the metal tartlet buckle.  Never been a fan of the pin lock having tried them and usually was sunglasses 90% of the time when riding.  Also,  the reason Aria says they will never offer a flip down visor is they won't pass the newer ratings.  Fortunately I have never owned a helmet that did not fit  and really miss the large MC shops that stocked many helmet brands and sizes.   Like Randy we are many times forced to order and return to places like Revzilla. 

• Like 2
  • Smile 1

Like Ed I too have a long oval shaped head and was an Arai guy, I had a silver Signet, then a red Profile then a red graphic Signet GT.  I now have a C5 Schubert and it fits great like my past Arai's.  Buying a helmet mail order is difficult, you need to try them on as we all know, I wish y'all good luck in today shrinking local buying place. 

• Like 2
  • Smile 1
1 hour ago, strataj said:

Like Ed I too have a long oval shaped head and was an Arai guy, I had a silver Signet, then a red Profile then a red graphic Signet GT.  I now have a C5 Schubert and it fits great like my past Arai's.  Buying a helmet mail order is difficult, you need to try them on as we all know, I wish y'all good luck in today shrinking local buying place. 

With Arai reintroducing the Signet GT in the more original Signet shape I could return to Arai but honestly the Shoei fits so well and the face shield attachment is so much easier I'll probably stick with Shoei. 

• Smile 1

Oh geez, I'm "only" on my fourth helmet (well maybe 3rd, since #3 was a Schuberth L & XL) in a year. What the heck?  Seems like they all used to fit just fine back when I was young.  Does something monstrous happen to human heads as we age, that now we can't fit anything?  (Or maybe now that we're older, and have a little more coin, we can afford to be a little more fussy.  Whatever.)

I have a Bell SRT coming Monday (LONG, long wait for Revzilla to ship the thing - they are obviously chocking on volume at the moment).  I'll be gone over Christmas, and of course, won't be riding again until Spring, so we'll see what we see.  I bought it because (as I've posted all over), my head size at 59.5 CM seems to fall right between L/XL for many helmet makers.   Add to that, that most helmet makers are building modulars in only two shell sizes due to lack of volume, and that probably explains most fitment issues.  Notably, the Neotec is built in 3 shell sizes, and naturally as it follows, it is BOTH one of the most popular, and the most expensive helmets out there.

So, the Neotec II may be the next trial if the Bell doesn't work out.   I did try on the Cyclegear (and Revzilla's) "house helmet", their Sedici Sistema II Carbon Helmet, which seemed to fit really well.    I was trying to buy a little better quality helmet, but if the Bell SRT modular doesn't work out, and the Sistema fits, lol, I don't give a flying f**k anymore about "quality".  I just want something protecting my noggin that isn't painful to wear.  (And to answer your question about my priorities, "Yes, I do only have a $100 head, probably discounted to $75.99 on special, due to being ...um... kinda old and outdated".  🤣🤣🤣😎)

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
2 hours ago, DBULL said:

Waiting for Harley riders to weigh in here.......

crickets

Half helmets are far cheaper, easy to find, simple to fit, and even easier to strap to the bike before riding off. It only needs to be comfortable for the 8 seconds it's worn while trying it on in the store.

Haven't had nearly the problems everyone else seems to be experiencing finding a helmet.

• Like 2
  • Smile 1

Thanks to all for your feedback and experiences.  It looks like my challenges are not unique. 

I appreciate the comments on the Arai helmets but, after having one full face helmet, I can't go back after the convenience of a flip up.  

Agree on how nice looking the Winsome TC-6 is; I hope it fits.

As Scott9999 says: "Does something monstrous happen to human heads as we age, that now we can't fit anything?"  I was thinking the same thing!  It seemed a lot easier when I was younger.

And I still have some half and open face helmets in the garage from my HD and GoldWing days.  Agree, they are simpler and very comfortable, but not nearly the protection I need now.

• Smile 1
12 hours ago, Hosstage said:

Half helmets are far cheaper, easy to find, simple to fit, and even easier to strap to the bike before riding off. It only needs to be comfortable for the 8 seconds it's worn while trying it on in the store.

Haven't had nearly the problems everyone else seems to be experiencing finding a helmet.

This was all tongue-in-cheek, of course. I currently have a modular helmet, and even wear it occasionally (that part is true), but will look more seriously at a full face for the next one. My head is a giant melon, so finding a good fit will probably be a challenge. I can't even get stocking caps to stay on while walking down the street, helmets are a challenge.

Luckily I've got two stores nearby that carry a decent inventory of in-stock helmets.

• Like 2

I have owned a HJC modular helmet in the past, and although I liked the helmet and it fit me correctly, I had a problem with the face shield.  I do not know it this will pertain to you Randy, but my, and others that I ride with, experience with HJC found that the face shield attachment mechanisms that hold the shield in place on the helmet were flimsy.  I very rarely ride with my face shield in the down position, and with my HJC modular helmet I found myself constantly having to push my shield back up due to a wind gust or another buffeting or wind factor pushing the shield to the closed position.  I called HJC to ask if they had any upgraded hardware for that mechanism, and I was told no, that HJC uses the same hardware for all its helmets.  A friend of mine ended up placing velcro on his helmet and face shield to keep the shield from inadvertently closing during rides.   I currently have a Shoei full face non-modular helmet that I have no problems with (I miss the modular feature).  I could immediately tell when I first put the Shoei on my head and moved the face shield up and down that the quality of the face shield mechanisms was far better.  I have never had a problem with my face shield inadvertently closing on me.   Just throwing this out for consideration.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Ron-M said:

I have owned a HJC modular helmet in the past, and although I liked the helmet and it fit me correctly, I had a problem with the face shield.  I do not know it this will pertain to you Randy, but my, and others that I ride with, experience with HJC found that the face shield attachment mechanisms that hold the shield in place on the helmet were flimsy.  I very rarely ride with my face shield in the down position, and with my HJC modular helmet I found myself constantly having to push my shield back up due to a wind gust or another buffeting or wind factor pushing the shield to the closed position.  I called HJC to ask if they had any upgraded hardware for that mechanism, and I was told no, that HJC uses the same hardware for all its helmets.  A friend of mine ended up placing velcro on his helmet and face shield to keep the shield from inadvertently closing during rides.   I currently have a Shoei full face non-modular helmet that I have no problems with (I miss the modular feature).  I could immediately tell when I first put the Shoei on my head and moved the face shield up and down that the quality of the face shield mechanisms was far better.  I have never had a problem with my face shield inadvertently closing on me.   Just throwing this out for consideration.  

Funny .... I am in the same boat as I always  ride with my face shield at least slightly open of even full open in warm weather.  THAT is another reason I love my Shoei as it has solid detents to hold the shield in the open position.   The Arias I had were OK but at times the shield would close as a result of only friction keeping the shield open.   I would love the convenience of a modular but the added weight bugs me as they are heavier than full face helmets and of course the added safety of a full face.   But I do like the modular and being able to take to folks without yelling.  But for me that is a small price to pay for the comfort of my Shoei. 

2 hours ago, Hank in WV said:

I've been riding with an HJC for probably too many years and have no problem with the face shield,

Same, a modular, face shield has detents that seem pretty firm, no issues with it closing inadvertantly.

17 hours ago, 9Mary7 said:

LS2 makes a long oval that is long oval....I bought one and fit is the same as my Signet(s).

yes I actually own a LS2 for my daily commute to work.  but for my head, not even close to a comfortable fit, and quality (for my experience) is not up to par.  I use the LS2 as my daily work commute helmet and save my Arai for weekend trips.  When I did track days, I had a second Arai signet x for track days only.  I kept three headliners and cheek pad sets and change them out every two sessions.

• Like 1

Well, just to follow-up (geez, which thread should I use, I've only talked about this helmet crap on like 14 threads, so I'll use Randy's):

I received the Bell SRT Modular today.  Large size, and my measurement is 59.5 cm, or right in between their 59-60cm large helmet measurement. 

1) It fits right.  My eyes line up where the should, and there's no excess movement.

2) It seems like a quality helmet. Yes, it's no where near as plush as the Schuberth, but heck, I'm wearing it while riding, not sitting on it like an EZ chair.  It'll do.

3) There are pressure points all over, but it doesn't feel like the Schuberth Large, i.e. crushing my head like a peanut.

4) It ~~ might ~~ not be a good fit.  On the other hand, using an inflated basketball like another forum member suggested might be just the thing to break it in.  The fact that it's just a wee bit tight all over, may mean that after break in, it's just right.  (Then again, Cyclegear's Sedici Sistema II felt GOOD, right from the start.)

I'm going to try wearing it with a balaclava (to keep it "new") for a half hour or hour tomorrow.  I'll probably take it over to the local Cyclegear store, and compare it with the Sedici for fit (hmm, assuming that they actually have one in stock - they never seem to have stuff in stock and it's Christmas 🙄).  

I want to settle this helmet issue once and for all, even though it's -9F tomorrow, and the helmet goes into the gear bag for the winter anyway.

• Like 1

Well you guys are responsible for this.  I went to Cycle Gear today and probably drove the guy crazy....although he was very nice and helpful.  I tried on several helmets and wore some around the store for 30 minutes.  Some I just put back.  I don't remember all the models but I remember the brands.  They were all modular except an ARAI.  I tried Schuberth C5, HJC, Bell, Sedici, AGV carbon, and Shoei Neotec II.  I bought the Shoei Neotec II on sale 20% off.  I don't think I've ever seen Shoei on sale.  That kind of rounds it out on Shoei.  Now I own a Multitec, Neotec, and now a Neotec II.  I wore the Neotec in the store for about 30 minutes.  I wanted a new one, which they didn't have in stock.  They will send it to me.  I'll wear it at home for an hour or so and see if I want to keep it.  

What I like...quality, linings, shield, and venting.  What I don't like is the built in space for the SENA and weight.  I'm not buying the built in one so hope I can mount my existing one.  What I hate so far is the chin strap.  It's one of those latch things that are hard for me to work.  I much much prefer a d-ring; plus it seems much closer to my throat.  We'll see.  The no d-ring might be a deal killer.  It should be here Friday just in time for our first 17-degree day of the year.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Well you guys are responsible for this.  I went to Cycle Gear today and probably drove the guy crazy....although he was very nice and helpful.  I tried on several helmets and wore some around the store for 30 minutes.  Some I just put back.  I don't remember all the models but I remember the brands.  They were all modular except an ARAI.  I tried Schuberth C5, HJC, Bell, Sedici, AGV carbon, and Shoei Neotec II.  I bought the Shoei Neotec II on sale 20% off.  I don't think I've ever seen Shoei on sale.  That kind of rounds it out on Shoei.  Now I own a Multitec, Neotec, and now a Neotec II.  I wore the Neotec in the store for about 30 minutes.  I wanted a new one, which they didn't have in stock.  They will send it to me.  I'll wear it at home for an hour or so and see if I want to keep it.  

What I like...quality, linings, shield, and venting.  What I don't like is the built in space for the SENA and weight.  I'm not buying the built in one so hope I can mount my existing one.  What I hate so far is the chin strap.  It's one of those latch things that are hard for me to work.  I much much prefer a d-ring; plus it seems much closer to my throat.  We'll see.  The no d-ring might be a deal killer.  It should be here Friday just in time for our first 17-degree day of the year.

Dang, your Cyclegear is a whole lot better stocked than the one nearby in Spokane.  (Oh - second quote - I didn't read every word above.  Yeah, Cyclegear has a ton of stuff advertised, but they'll have to ship most of it to you, meaning that you can't even try it on before you buy it.  That's why I didn't even bother going over to the store for the Bell (I hate going anywhere in Washington state), but ordered it online from RevZilla.

Yeah, that RevZilla/Cyclegear Shoei price is pretty sweet looking, and tempting.   It might be kind of dangerous if I stop by there tomorrow - I could end up with an angry wife for Christmas if I end up plunking down $680 for a Neotec II. 

1 hour ago, Scott9999 said:

I could end up with an angry wife for Christmas if I end up plunking down $680 for a Neotec II. 

Better than the new, non-sale price of $899!

You all really research and dig into your noggin covers.

When I got back into riding, I went to the local Cycle Gear and tried on Scorpion EXO-900,...the only helmet I tried.  Put it on, shook my head around, paid and wore it for the next fourish years.

Then I got a Schuberth C-3, ordered from Revzilla.  Arrived on a Saturday, put it on, shook my head, it felt fine.  Sunday I had a work trip to Maryland, so wore the new lid.  Got the Schuberth dot in the forehead, ordered a different crown insert and wore that helmet out.

Next helmet was an Arai Corsair, beautiful lid ($$$$), the fit was awesome and light, wore that with the HP4 rides and the C-3 was for the RT.  Sold the HP4, then sold the Arai.  If only Arai made a modular.  (I did try a Shoei GT Air, shook my head and too much wiggle, sent it back)

Twas time for a new helmet, so I ordered a Neotec II.  I've had it for a few years, not the best, but is ok.  Am looking at the C5, but my only concern is if the SC2 is loud enough to penetrate earplugs (waiting for more reviews--hopefully from somebody that wears hearing aids AND has tinnitus).  

None of the helmets were test fitted for more than the time it took to put it on, cinch the strap and shake my head around.

Once you wear one of these for a few years, ALL other helmets are comfortable:classic_biggrin:;):classic_biggrin::

USMC LIGHTWEIGHT LEVEL IIIA KEVLAR COMBAT HELMET - MEDIUM

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Skywagon said:

David, I felt the same way when I got a Schubert C5.  After you work with it you'll get it and at that time you'll like it.  So easy to remove the helmet and putting it on saves time too.  I'm not one of the fast get ready guys in a group ride but the C5 has helped a lot since I no longer mess with custom ear plugs and the D ring.  Hope it can work out for you. 

12 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Am looking at the C5, but my only concern is if the SC2 is loud enough to penetrate earplugs (waiting for more reviews--hopefully from somebody that wears hearing aids AND has tinnitus).  

Richard, I'm not that happy with the SC2, the volume isn't load enough, I've been working with the Schubert rep, nice guy but he can only tell me what Germany tells him.  Sena hasn't been much help because it's sold as a Schubert, they will help with how to use.  They recently came out with a Wounder Wheel fix, it doesn't work that well, I'm told they are working on it. It's such a sham the SC2 doesn't work like it's twin sister Sena 50R.  If it wasn't for the fit and that I finally having a modular helmet I'd be back to my Aria and update the Sena 20s EVO with a Sena 50R or S.  I don't wear hearing aids but do have tinnitus.  One other note if if wasn't for the Quite Ride windscreen (22R1250RT) I wouldn't hear anything but noise. 

• Like 1

I can relate to Rougarou's buying technique. Found an HJC modular helmet on the shelf, the first one of many I tried to put on that finally fit (xxxl), $280, bought it and done. Never had worn anything other than a half helmet for the states that required it on a trip (2 or 3 days), left a week after buying the full face modular (no test rides) for a 2 week trip to Europe. Really glad it fit with no hotspots... It takes some getting used to riding with a full face helmet having never put one on before. What better place than foreign countries in the Alps on an unfamiliar motorcycle with a passenger? At least the bike was too tall to touch my feet other than tippie toes.

Good times.

I still use that helmet a couple times a year, because I'm a responsible rider...

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Rougarou said:

You all really research and dig into your noggin covers.

None of the helmets were test fitted for more than the time it took to put it on, cinch the strap and shake my head around.

asshat!

(There's always one unsympathetic guy in the crowd.  Honesty don't count for much when the rest of us are in the middle of a suffering journey.  🙄🤬🤣🤣)

Like I've said before, I have no clue why it's suddenly so tough to find a helmet that fits, other than (a) the quality overall has improved (i.e. closer tolerances, snugger fit, less acceptable noise and tighter collars around the neck, etc.), (b) companies make fewer shell sizes for modular helmets, which have a more limited market that full face helmets (though, I don't know if that's changed since I bought my old Nolan 15 years ago), (c) we older guys just get more picky and cranky than you youngin's.

Yeah, I know all about the GI stuff.  However, you probably have more ....uh... "time on station" wearing the damn buggers.  (Mine were mostly soft covers, cause my head was worth less than yours.  😆)

Jeeesh ….. I feel blessed that my helmet search over my 30 years riding has been pretty simple and successful.  Having such a large noggin limits my choices and options. 

now finding riding pants that fit is a whole other story 🙄

By the way, they had a 5x helmet from HJC on the shelf. They said HJC is the only mfg that makes a 5x. I think it was big enough my wife and I could fit in it together only needing one helmet. 

Scott… most of the Cycle Gears around here are as you described, small, crowded, and not much inventory. Their new showplace store in Katy Texas (25 miles from me) probably has 300 on the wall to test. They had my helmet in my size in every color except the color I wanted. Should be here tomorrow. 

5 hours ago, Skywagon said:

By the way, they had a 5x helmet from HJC on the shelf. They said HJC is the only mfg that makes a 5x. I think it was big enough my wife and I could fit in it together only needing one helmet. 

Scott… most of the Cycle Gears around here are as you described, small, crowded, and not much inventory. Their new showplace store in Katy Texas (25 miles from me) probably has 300 on the wall to test. They had my helmet in my size in every color except the color I wanted. Should be here tomorrow. 

🤣🤣🤣🤣😫

Well, so that we can COMPLETELY strip Randy's thread of his original intent, I'll tell today's story.

I'm headed out of town for the holidays, trying to interval between storms, so checking out Cyclegear in subzero weather wasn't high on my "wanna do" list today, but I forced myself to get out there, about 1PM.

And ...... I left the store at 5PM.  :4607:

Arrived with the Bell in hand.  Told Austin at Cyclegear in Spokane what I was trying to do, about my travails with multiple helmets that didn't quite fit, and he quickly set me up with a large and extra-large of their Sedici Sistema II Carbon Helmet for comparison against the Bell SRT Modular (i.e. the one that seemed to fit pretty good when I was unsuccessfully trying the LG/XLG Schuberth C4 Pro's).  I also asked him for a Shoei Neotec II, just to have a helmet comparison to dream on.   I also asked him if he had another Bell SRT Modular in stock of any size, even if it was the non-Modular.  There were actually two issues at hand, fitment, and a balky drop down sun shield which I thought would resolve itself after I removed all the packing.  I wanted to see if this issue was similar with all the Bell modular helmets.  

After Austin heard about the issue I was having with the Bell, he quickly took the initiative, unboxed it, broke it down, and started working on the sun shield issue.  He concluded (and he showed me where) that the sun screen mount was defective, causing the scaping.  The Bell would have to go back to RevZilla for repair or exchange.  I had no way of knowing if this was simply poor fit and finish by Bell, or if I'd find the same problem with the next Bell helmet, if I exchanged it.  With this being my third helmet return, I didn't want to leave the store without a viable replacement in hand. 

While Austin was working on the Bell (for maybe a half hour!), I was busy trying on the other helmets.  Well, the Sedici large was a bit too tight, and the X-LG while very comfortable, was just a bit too sloppy.   In Austin's judgment, the X-LG looked like it fit well, but I still felt uncomfortable buying a new helmet, that started in any way loose.  However, they both share the same shell size, so upgrading the pads from LG to XLG or vise versa, would be a pretty simple process.  Moreover, Sedici provides small foam strips that can be removed (to enlarge at pressure points) if necessary, to adjust the fit.  

Of course, the Shoei fit like a glove, the sun shade slid up and down like butter (and as a bonus, the lever is vertical along the side of the face shield, not down at the bottom collar of the helmet, which would make fitting my Cardon bluetooth com devices easier).  I liked everything about the helmet, i.e. it looked as though it was made just for my head.  I was sold.  There was only one, small problem.

Small, as in the sweet lady I brought with me, about 5' tall, i.e. my wife.  She saw the $680 Shoei, and the Sedici side by side and said, "why is the Shoei over twice the pride of the Sedici?" 😨😖

So, ah... guess what.  I bought the Sedici - large size, erroring on the side of "slop-free". 😑 

Actually, I was impressed with the Sistema II Carbon.  No real negatives that I observed.  Their swing down bar lock mechanism had more play than the Shoei, and the Shoei was clearly a quieter helmet, i.e. the quality of the Shoei was obvious, but Sedici's appears to be a great helmet.  I'll try to tweak the fit somewhat, and accelerate the break in, but I can always fallback to the XL pads, so I should be able to ensure a quality fit no matter what.

All of that took maybe two hours.   What did I do during the other two hours?   🤔

The wife needed riding clothes.  🙄🙈😖🤮🤬  

And, wouldn't ya know it, they just happened to have a ton of that stuff on sale for Christmas.  And, my wife fits motorcycle clothing the way I fit helmets.  🤦‍♂️  Bye bye two more hours  (and about $600 overall).

I have to give Austin (Cyclegear, Spokane) kudo's.  He spent a LOAD of time with us, in between working with other customers and taking sales.   The best customer service I've experienced in a long, long time.   I ended up buying their RPM (RidersPlus) annual membership (i.e. good for CycleGear, RevZilla, and JPcycles), which paid for itself on this transaction alone, plus added in more discounts for future purchases.  Austin even ran out to our car afterwards and gave us an additional $25 discount card (i.e. in addition to the introductory $15 for joining, and 5% cash back).   All and all, Cyclegear was a great experience (as it pretty much always has been).

👍🏆🍻

I'll update a review on the Sedici helmet in a future, separate thread, some time between Christmas and Spring, after I have some time to spend on it.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Scott9999 said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣😫

Well, so that we can COMPLETELY strip Randy's thread of his original intent, I'll tell today's story.

I'm headed out of town for the holidays, trying to interval between storms, so checking out Cyclegear in subzero weather wasn't high on my "wanna do" list today, but I forced myself to get out there, about 1PM.

And ...... I left the store at 5PM.  :4607:

Arrived with the Bell in hand.  Told Austin at Cyclegear in Spokane what I was trying to do, about my travails with multiple helmets that didn't quite fit, and he quickly set me up with a large and extra-large of their Sedici Sistema II Carbon Helmet for comparison against the Bell SRT Modular (i.e. the one that seemed to fit pretty good when I was unsuccessfully trying the LG/XLG Schuberth C4 Pro's).  I also asked him for a Shoei Neotec II, just to have a helmet comparison to dream on.   I also asked him if he had another Bell SRT Modular in stock of any size, even if it was the non-Modular.  There were actually two issues at hand, fitment, and a balky drop down sun shield which I thought would resolve itself after I removed all the packing.  I wanted to see if this issue was similar with all the Bell modular helmets.  

After Austin heard about the issue I was having with the Bell, he quickly took the initiative, unboxed it, broke it down, and started working on the sun shield issue.  He concluded (and he showed me where) that the sun screen mount was defective, causing the scaping.  The Bell would have to go back to RevZilla for repair or exchange.  I had no way of knowing if this was simply poor fit and finish by Bell, or if I'd find the same problem with the next Bell helmet, if I exchanged it.  With this being my third helmet return, I didn't want to leave the store without a viable replacement in hand. 

While Austin was working on the Bell (for maybe a half hour!), I was busy trying on the other helmets.  Well, the Sedici large was a bit too tight, and the X-LG while very comfortable, was just a bit too sloppy.   In Austin's judgment, the X-LG looked like it fit well, but I still felt uncomfortable buying a new helmet, that started in any way loose.  However, they both share the same shell size, so upgrading the pads from LG to XLG or vise versa, would be a pretty simple process.  Moreover, Sedici provides small foam strips that can be removed (to enlarge at pressure points) if necessary, to adjust the fit.  

Of course, the Shoei fit like a glove, the sun shade slid up and down like butter (and as a bonus, the lever is vertical along the side of the face shield, not down at the bottom collar of the helmet, which would make fitting my Cardon bluetooth com devices easier).  I liked everything about the helmet, i.e. it looked as though it was made just for my head.  I was sold.  There was only one, small problem.

Small, as in the sweet lady I brought with me, about 5' tall, i.e. my wife.  She saw the $680 Shoei, and the Sedici side by side and said, "why is the Shoei over twice the pride of the Sedici?" 😨😖

So, ah... guess what.  I bought the Sedici - large size, erroring on the side of "slop-free". 😑 

Actually, I was impressed with the Sistema II Carbon.  No real negatives that I observed.  Their swing down bar lock mechanism had more play than the Shoei, and the Shoei was clearly a quieter helmet, i.e. the quality of the Shoei was obvious, but Sedici's appears to be a great helmet.  I'll try to tweak the fit somewhat, and accelerate the break in, but I can always fallback to the XL pads, so I should be able to ensure a quality fit no matter what.

All of that took maybe two hours.   What did I do during the other two hours?   🤔

The wife needed riding clothes.  🙄🙈😖🤮🤬  

And, wouldn't ya know it, they just happened to have a ton of that stuff on sale for Christmas.  And, my wife fits motorcycle clothing the way I fit helmets.  🤦‍♂️  Bye bye two more hours  (and about $600 overall).

I have to give Austin (Cyclegear, Spokane) kudo's.  He spent a LOAD of time with us, in between working with other customers and taking sales.   The best customer service I've experienced in a long, long time.   I ended up buying their RPM (RidersPlus) annual membership (i.e. good for CycleGear, RevZilla, and JPcycles), which paid for itself on this transaction alone, plus added in more discounts for future purchases.  Austin even ran out to our car afterwards and gave us an additional $25 discount card (i.e. in addition to the introductory $15 for joining, and 5% cash back).   All and all, Cyclegear was a great experience (as it pretty much always has been).

👍🏆🍻

I'll update a review on the Sedici helmet in a future, separate thread, some time between Christmas and Spring, after I have some time to spend on it.

I just want to make sure I got this .... you found a helmet that checked ALL the boxes and was perfect (Shoei) but your wife convinced you simply due to cost to buy the less perfect helmet. 

:dontknow:

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, RTinNC said:

I just want to make sure I got this .... you found a helmet that checked ALL the boxes and was perfect (Shoei) but your wife convinced you simply due to cost to buy the less perfect helmet. 

:dontknow:

Uhh, you're not married, are you? 

Just kidding, mostly.  Lets just say, it was easier to preemptively give up on this battle, knowing I might win 2 or 3 others down the road.

Plus, the value of NOT having a pissed off wife for a week or so over Christmas?  Priceless. 

(They'll still be making Shoei's next year, too.  Good wives?  Them are tougher to come by.)

3 hours ago, Scott9999 said:

Just kidding, mostly.  Lets just say, it was easier to preemptively give up on this battle, knowing I might win 2 or 3 others down the road.

Plus, the value of NOT having a pissed off wife for a week or so over Christmas?  Priceless. 

(They'll still be making Shoei's next year, too.  Good wives?  Them are tougher to come by.)

You must be a newlywed or you don't have clear open lines of communication and understanding with your wife:19:, that's banter Scott,....banter/humor

My wife never questions me on how much I want to spend and I never question her in how much she want's to spend.

I never have to ask permission, but, since she manages all the funds, I do have to ask if it's within our budget.  I never get told no, but I do, on occasion, get told to hold off so she can budget a purchase in that is outside of current budget constraints.

I don't have a stereotypical wife,....not even close.;)

• Like 2
54 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

You must be a newlywed or you don't have clear open lines of communication and understanding with your wife:19:, that's banter Scott,....banter/humor

My wife never questions me on how much I want to spend and I never question her in how much she want's to spend.

I never have to ask permission, but, since she manages all the funds, I do have to ask if it's within our budget.  I never get told no, but I do, on occasion, get told to hold off so she can budget a purchase in that is outside of current budget constraints.

I don't have a stereotypical wife,....not even close.;)

Our wives are very similar, having balance in a marriage makes all the difference ….47 years together and going strong. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, mickeym3 said:

Our wives are very similar, having balance in a marriage makes all the difference ….47 years together and going strong. 

We got some catching up to you, 26yrs but not a single argument during all that time.  Open blunt communication.  I don't ask a question if I'm not prepared for her answer and she does the same.

She didn't bat an eye when I dropped $900+ on an Arai, when I wanted the HP4, I called her asking if we could afford it, she told me to call back later, when I did, she said to buy the bike. 

I'm in the market for another helmet after having the Neotec II for several years, leaning on the C5, but from strataj's comment above and limited resources/reviews elsewhere on the SC2, I may not be getting that lid.  Also due to upgrade the 20S (it sucks).  So, sometime soon, I'll prolly be dropping near $1k on a helmet/comms combo and won't hear a whine about it.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Scott9999 said:

Honestly I am VERY lucky as my wife encourages me not only to buy the best gear I can but she also encourages me to enjoy my passion of motorcycle touring.  Never makes me feel guilty taking a 3 or 4 week MC trip and never makes me feel I am selfish.   She just knows what makes me happy.   In turn I support her hiking in the National Parks when ever she wants.  

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 2

Riding is my hobby so my wife is pretty tolerant. I don't hunt, golf, or gamble, so that's where my fun money goes. She too says always buy the best gear.

She also said to never question whether to buy new tires and brakes, those are always approved purchases (as long as I'm not using tires up doing burnouts, which, occasionally happens).

Winter is as hard on her as it is on me, because while I'm miserable because I can't ride, I make her miserable with my constant whining that I can't ride. A vicious circle.

Then Spring, and I can ride! But not for a while.

Honey?! I can't ride, this sucks, I want to ride.

Her response? Go away. It's only December, this isn't going to continue for the next three months.

(It does.)

• Haha 3
On 12/18/2022 at 8:19 PM, MikeB60 said:

Randy, hope you find something that works. Been through the helmet dance as well. Went to a modular with a Shoei Neotec II about four years ago when I had to start wearing glasses full time. Tried a Schuberth first, never really fit correctly and didn't like how the shield automatically closed (think they have changed this function on the newer models).  

The Neotec II is a good helmet but I really don't need the flip up function. Just added weight for a function I don't use.  Bought a Carbon Fiber HJC RPHA to replace the Neotec II. DyAnne really likes her RPHA modular and it's super light.  High quality helmet but just didn't fit.  

Went back to my Arai Quantum.  Immediately remembered why I like Arai, perfect fit for my head.  Definitely missed the internal sun shield of my Neotec II not something that Arai makes. When I was younger I primary used a dark face shield but that doesn't work with my 60 year old eyes in the shadows you find riding in the Appalachians. Arai has very elegant solution where the dark visor mounts on the face shield.  Works great.

20221218_100450.thumb.jpg.1cd0be95b0df2a90a84f084da00438fe.jpg

The Quantum is seven years old and needed replacing.  I knew I wanted a Arai and found some great reviews on the new Quantic.  It's the first helmet to meet the EC 22.06 standard and is not for sale in the USA yet. Champion Helmets in the Netherlands wont/can't sell Arai's outside of Europe but FC Moto in Deutschland shipped one to the house.  Around 600 shipped.

The helmet is fantastic on the GS and GT.  The ventilation is fantastic as are the overall aerodynamics of the helmet.  Super quiet but I'm damn near deaf so not really a good reference. Here is a LINK

Well said man , that is amazing 

Well....looks like I am going to do my best imitation of Scott.  My new Neotec II arrived on Christmas Eve  I open the box and inspected for scratches, damages and date of mfg.  The helmet was perfect.  The date was March 2022 so I felt a little cheated but got over it instantly.

Next, wear the helmet around the house for a while before removing stickers.  Wow...the new material really felt great and it fit nicely.....EXCEPT.... that darn chinstrap.  In the store when I tried it on we didn't extend the strap all the way as it it fairly cumbersome to do so.  I extended it all the way, following Shoei video, and there is no way in HE double hockeysticks I can wear this helmet because I could barely get the first notch of the ratchet buckled and it felt like I had a noose on. 

I wrote Shoei, they responded quickly, about the possibility of changing the buckle to a D-Ring.  They said couldn't be done ( I had read somewhere you could for $80 which I would have paid).  Here is there response...a polite no.

The helmet is DOT homologated in North America using that micro ratchet chin strap. So, unfortunately we are unable to exchange out the chinstrap for the D-ring style because it would not be a DOT/North America helmet any longer.

Since I have 3 other Shoei's with D-Ring I was surprised by their answer.  I guess it has to do with this was how it was certified so any changes would require retesting.

I'll take it back to Cycle Gear tomorrow and start searcing again....Dang it.

24 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Well....looks like I am going to do my best imitation of Scott.  My new Neotec II arrived on Christmas Eve  I open the box and inspected for scratches, damages and date of mfg.  The helmet was perfect.  The date was March 2022 so I felt a little cheated but got over it instantly.

Next, wear the helmet around the house for a while before removing stickers.  Wow...the new material really felt great and it fit nicely.....EXCEPT.... that darn chinstrap.  In the store when I tried it on we didn't extend the strap all the way as it it fairly cumbersome to do so.  I extended it all the way, following Shoei video, and there is no way in HE double hockeysticks I can wear this helmet because I could barely get the first notch of the ratchet buckled and it felt like I had a noose on. 

I wrote Shoei, they responded quickly, about the possibility of changing the buckle to a D-Ring.  They said couldn't be done ( I had read somewhere you could for $80 which I would have paid).  Here is there response...a polite no.

The helmet is DOT homologated in North America using that micro ratchet chin strap. So, unfortunately we are unable to exchange out the chinstrap for the D-ring style because it would not be a DOT/North America helmet any longer.

Since I have 3 other Shoei's with D-Ring I was surprised by their answer.  I guess it has to do with this was how it was certified so any changes would require retesting.

Yup .... being a Shoei guy and knowing the head shape of the Neotec is the same as my RF I tried a Neotec in XXL at the dealer ... fit great!  BUT  ... I could not even get the damn ratchet catch to latch even in the first spot.  Besides I hate the ratchet straps and prefer D rings.  I thought this might be my entry into a modular.  No way.  I'll stick with my comfy d-ring full face. 

39 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

wait, wait!!

David - did you let the slip buckle all the way out on the ratchet end if the strap??  My Neotec II  has plenty of room, see below.  IF it still isn't enough strap, you could do like the airlines seat belt extension, or just install a longer piece of 1" webbing.

image.thumb.png.51cbe7218e7c23f7a07228492da32454.png