IGNORED

Fatty BMW Riders Anonymous .....

Scott9999

21 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Do you know how many Little Debbie snacks I could fit into this one tour pack?

I don't know how many but I'm pretty sure you could strap a keg on that pillion.

• Like 1
On 1/5/2022 at 3:20 AM, Scott9999 said:

... I just need to lose weight, and build back some muscle, or I won't be riding much this year.

The biggest mountain is being motivated and you have already scaled that peak. So here's a few suggestions that will cost you nothing.

1. Drink - If you must drink soda or beer, pour them into a glass and not directly from a can or bottle. It reduces the gas effect that expands you stomach and increases your appetite. 

2. Exercise - Bum ankles can be exercised without injury by bicycling or working out on an elliptical. I could be wrong here because I don't know your personal situation but it worked for my bum ankle from 1997. 

3. Food - Get a smaller plate than the standard size. You'll be surprised at how much of a difference it makes.

4. Convenience - Keep snacks in a hard to access location or double bagged. The extra effort to get it will automatically make you refrain.

5. Schedule - Don't shoot for an unachievable goal of 7 days a week. Be practical. Start at 3 or 4 days a week and progress to no more than 5 days a week. 

6. Celebration - It doesn't have to be a slog. Treat yourself to a day off from the grind.

7. Measure - Log your progress or lack thereof. Without data, there is no satisfaction. There are a lot of apps and tools online to figure this out. Or just use a sheet of paper. Take monthly measurements of your large muscles (butt, waist, chest, thigh, bicep) and weight. 

P.S. I used all these techniques and it worked for me. It cost me $0. I never went to a gym. YMMV

• Like 1

22°F outside right now. I just rode the Tail of the Dragon on my wife’s exercise bike. I’m exhausted. 

John Ranalletta
1 minute ago, MichiganBob said:

I don't go to Planet Fitness solely to work out. Just saying.

At the gym this morning & next up is dead lift.  A young woman is on the platform finishing her last set.  She's repping 235lbs.  She sees me and asks, "Are you waiting to lift?".  I said yes.  She asks, "Want me to take down the weights?"  Me: "Oh, no.  They're fine." Then I wait until she leaves to take the weights off the bar and get the total down to something I can actually lift.

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 1

BMI is stoopid,....my "BMI" is 32.  If'n you're using BMI as a "reference", it's all fouled up and will give you false numbers.  Muscle mass weighs about 20% more than fat mass, and with a current body fat of 19 (I really need to be back down to 'bout 15 or lower), my squatty body self is told by the government that I'm "obese",....yep, that's the BMI for you!!

How do you know you're loosing weight,....let your clothes tell you.

Additionally, you can't "target" a section for weight loss so don't try.  You can't do situps, crunches, planks, leglifts, etc, to "target" that tire around your waist,....all you will do with that is build muscle "under" the tubbiness which will "push" your tubbiness out further.  It's a whole body concept to deal with.

As far as advice on how to loose weight, that's on the individual and what will work for them.  I know I've done high protein, low carb gigs and  it works wonders,....will it shorten my life, I dunno, I have no idea what my termination date is, so can't say if high protein will shorten it by not allowing me to meet that date. 

Several years ago, on a whim, I decided to start running for "fun", since I left active duty with a "hatred" towards running, I found that running for fun was,.....well,.....kinda "fun",.....'cause I could go the speed I wanted to and stop when I wanted to (was always a moderately high PT score).  I'd do weights at mid-day and run in the evenings, working up to a half marathon.  Some of that misery was via the treadmill, but at that time, most was on the pavement, some in 17* weather (I think running/cardio in extreme cold does a body good, but I also like extreme heat events too).  Weight just dropped off me, I had to drill additional holes in my belts.  All that without changing the eating habits.  Work trips and more work trips messed up the routine, thus, the body started going back to it's "happy weight",.....with the fluff......so, I'm in a constant state of weights and cardio's to fight the gains that I have a propensity for.  I know I eat less, but metabolism plays it's silly game and likes to slow things down, so, there's that.  So, bottom line, is ya gotta find what works for you.  High cardio events, HIIT (kicks ass), weights (more muscle burns calories better), fad diets, adjusting diets, combination of all,.....you just gotta find what works for you. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

At the gym this morning & next up is dead lift.  A young woman is on the platform finishing her last set.  She's repping 235lbs.  She sees me and asks, "Are you waiting to lift?".  I said yes.  She asks, "Want me to take down the weights?"  Me: "Oh, no.  They're fine." Then I wait until she leaves to take the weights off the bar and get the total down to something I can actually lift.

When I did got to the gym and have to wait on one of the "meatheads",....while they do their "I'ma lift this heavy thing pre-lift ceremony, physch thing",.....I'd ask them "do you want me to go get one of the girls to help you,.....cause it looks mighty heavy and you might not be able to do it",.....hopefully speeding them up.  Get in, lift it, get out and quit looking in the mirror you vain fawq

1 hour ago, MichiganBob said:

I don't go to Planet Fitness solely to work out. Just saying.

Of course I'm referring to the social intercourse I get there. Yuperee

• Like 1

Now that I'm 73, my oldest son and a physician friend both told me to add at least two exercises to my regiment, one to strengthen muscles for getting up from the floor/ground and the other a modified dead hang (step assisted to take off some strain). They said that a stronger grip would increase the chances that I don't fall down, and if I do, I need to be able to get up. (Remember "I just fell down and I can't get up") Never thought about that before. Live and learn.

Bob, you wouldn’t believe how many calls we go on (FD/EMS) to pick up people off the floor. Seems the last couple of years the calls have exploded. Good advice, exercise for your mobility and longevity. :thumbsup:

John Ranalletta
6 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Bob, you wouldn’t believe how many calls we go on (FD/EMS) to pick up people off the floor. Seems the last couple of years the calls have exploded. Good advice, exercise for your mobility and longevity. :thumbsup:

I see guys on the bench pressing lots of weight with no spotters.  The smart ones leave one bar collar off to unload the bar in a failed lift.

• Like 1

I recently discovered a new way to lose weight, but can't really recommend it.  I'm 74, 6'-1", 186 lbs of solid muscle and gristle (no brains), but I was carrying a little 5 lb jelly roll muffin top spare tire that I've been nurturing for the last 3-4 years. 

I've been a gym rat for the last 20-30 years, too, admittedly mostly for the "social" aspects but at least consistant.  Xmas Eve I came down with Omicron.  Just a guess because you can't get a test anywhere around here.  No fever just aches, cough, chills, sleepless, headache, mild neasua, zero appetite, and mentally in a fog.  Yesterday for the first time I woke up and felt like "I'm back" and the fog had lifted.  I had noticed that my pants were needing a belt and the belt needed a tighter hole for the buckle so this morning I tried an old pair of 34 x 34 blue jeans and they fit!!  Loosely!!  There is a good side to most things, just gotta find it.

2 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

I see guys on the bench pressing lots of weight with no spotters.  The smart ones leave one bar collar off to unload the bar in a failed lift.

The smart ones don't overload if lifting alone

RandyShields
3 hours ago, Lowndes said:

I recently discovered a new way to lose weight, but can't really recommend it.  I'm 74, 6'-1", 186 lbs of solid muscle and gristle (no brains), but I was carrying a little 5 lb jelly roll muffin top spare tire that I've been nurturing for the last 3-4 years. 

I've been a gym rat for the last 20-30 years, too, admittedly mostly for the "social" aspects but at least consistant.  Xmas Eve I came down with Omicron.  Just a guess because you can't get a test anywhere around here.  No fever just aches, cough, chills, sleepless, headache, mild neasua, zero appetite, and mentally in a fog.  Yesterday for the first time I woke up and felt like "I'm back" and the fog had lifted.  I had noticed that my pants were needing a belt and the belt needed a tighter hole for the buckle so this morning I tried an old pair of 34 x 34 blue jeans and they fit!!  Loosely!!  There is a good side to most things, just gotta find it.

Sorry to hear about your health issues.  Glad you are feeling better and got a small bene from the experience.  Just don't want those motorcycle togs to be too loose, lest they get caught in the wheels.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

To bring some reality to this discussion, to reach optimum Body Mass Index of ca. 25, I need to lose another 40lbs.  NFW.  I'd have to amputate a leg to get there.

Calculator here: https://tdeecalculator.net/

Hmmm, it MIGHT be easier than the diet.  But, I'd have to take off both legs, which will make it tough to reach the pegs.

Naww, we're gonna go with the diet, exercise, and schedule realignments.   Thanks for the suggestion, though.   We consider 'em all ....  :jaw:

Coincidentally, I just saw this thread this morning, having opened a gym membership only yesterday. :14:

I've been up and down with my weight for decades, usually I get all enthusiastic and I'll exercise, control my eating, and lose a whole load of weight, then start to feel great and wonder how I had ever let myself get so flabby and unfit....

...but then a year or so will roll by, eating strictly gets boring, I lapse into my old ways, and the pounds slowly creep back on. 

5 years ago I went through a horrendous divorce, lost nearly everything I had worked for for decades, I even had to change countries where I lived. I basically lost my will to live, turned to drink, and now I'm at my heaviest ever, very unfit, and at 61 years old I'm right in heart attack territory. Something has got to be done. 

• Sad 1
John Ranalletta
On 1/7/2022 at 12:05 PM, MichiganBob said:

Now that I'm 73, my oldest son and a physician friend both told me to add at least two exercises to my regiment, one to strengthen muscles for getting up from the floor/ground and the other a modified dead hang (step assisted to take off some strain). They said that a stronger grip would increase the chances that I don't fall down, and if I do, I need to be able to get up. (Remember "I just fell down and I can't get up") Never thought about that before. Live and learn.

I'm 75 facing the same issues - simply being able to stand up, lift stuff, maintain balance, get up from the TV chair, etc.  There are a thousand ways to get there, but I'm following Starting Strength regimen.  Simply, it's five lifts: dead, military, power clean, bench and squat.  It's not about building muscle mass; rather, it's aim is to build the upper/lower structural muscle strength.  A few years ago, I thought I'd build a home gym, but find joining a well-equipped gym works better.  It's a 3x/week routine (MWF) and takes less than an hour.  It's a progressive program, e.g. each session the weight is increased incrementally, say, 5 pounds or whatever works for the individual.  The aim is to build capacity in each lift slowly over time.  My history is here: (yes, I'm a weakling)

IMG_E8545[1].JPG

For all you up in age, I dunno what my father in law does, he's 84, but that guy is hard to keep up with.  He never stops moving no sedentary life for him.  I know that if you've led a sedentary life due to work for many, many years, that may be a very tall obstacle to overcome in the later years,.....but don't stop trying, don't stop moving.

In my old neighborhood, there was this guy, while he was making the motions to run, he really was moving slow, but he had to be in the mid-upper 80's.  Inspirational, I dunno what ever happened to that guy.

A centurion marathoner that gave up running in 1947, but picked it back up in 1995 (84yrs old), so, if you say you can't do some sort of physical exercise,....you're making excuses.  My knees, my back, my elbow, my heart, my eyesight, etc,....don't look for the excuses to not do anything, look for the reasons you need to do something. 

• Like 1

Also, if you are just starting to exercise after never or a long time from not doing it, you will hurt, .........keep going, it's just a soreness and there is a difference between a previous workout soreness and actual bodily injury type.....don't let the pain prevent you from working another part of your body.

If your arms hurt, work your legs, if your legs hurt work your chest, if your stomach hurts, work your back, etc, etc.  Don't let the pain (soreness, not bodily injury type) stop you, people have a tendency to say "I'm hurting today, so I won't do anything", which will extend to the next day and the next day and the next day, of which, you will continue to stay round.

50 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

(yes, I'm a weakling)

It's not the amount of weight you're pushing,.....it's the fact that you are pushing weight:18:

John Ranalletta
5 minutes ago, 9Mary7 said:

And RIDE! Best therapy for my old knee injury is to ride. Riding also burns way more calories than watching tv or driving a car.:5147:

I get it.  However, holding up a fully-loaded GS w/ 300+ pounds of people gets more challenging every year. 

Where does "will" "determination" "discipline" come from? You know the answer.

How do you change a bad habit to a good habit? You know the answer.

How important is positive thinking and I don't mean happy thoughts but a self-dialogue that strengthens our resolve? You know the answer.

"Hope" is a good thing but we need more than hope, we need committment to a reasonable goal and the patience to understand the zen or how things work. In the words of Dr. Leo Marvin, "baby steps." 

Good luck and fortune in righting your ship. There are many of us on this path. Day by day. Resolve.

Take good care. 

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

I get it.  However, holding up a fully-loaded GS w/ 300+ pounds of people gets more challenging every year. 

And, I’m not trying to be funny this time. :cool: Worth a demo ride. :thumbsup:

image.jpeg

John Ranalletta
5 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

And, I’m not trying to be funny this time. :cool: Worth a demo ride. :thumbsup:

image.jpeg

Thanks, Pat but before I do that, I'll do this: (actually, I'm kinda' Jones'n for a GR8 or BRX.)

image.png

• Like 1
John Ranalletta
1 hour ago, MichiganBob said:

Where does "will" "determination" "discipline" come from? You know the answer.

How do you change a bad habit to a good habit? You know the answer.

How important is positive thinking and I don't mean happy thoughts but a self-dialogue that strengthens our resolve? You know the answer.

"Hope" is a good thing but we need more than hope, we need committment to a reasonable goal and the patience to understand the zen or how things work. In the words of Dr. Leo Marvin, "baby steps." 

Good luck and fortune in righting your ship. There are many of us on this path. Day by day. Resolve.

Take good care. 

Bob, I think this rhymes with your thoughts.  Personally, I find Rip a great motivator even if he is an a..hole.

2 hours ago, MichiganBob said:

"Hope" is a good thing but we need more than hope, we need commitment to a reasonable goal and the patience to understand the zen or how things work. In the words of Dr. Leo Marvin, "baby steps." 

Commitment, and a rational plan, and this thread is useful for both.  My goal was to start January 1st, and that date came and went in a whirlwind.  Then came my wife's cold and flu (i.e. the gym is on the way to her work, when I drop her off, and she's been off a week), and now, my own cold and flu (as a married couple, we of course share EVERYTHING, including the flu. 🙄😒).  I'm moving slowly to whatever my real start date is.

So, there's reality that impacts why and when we lose weight, and there's excuses.  One of my problems is that I'm a perfectionist.  I used to play college tennis, but couldn't do much of that on active duty.  When I periodically returned to the game, I tried to play at the same level I was at in college, and my mind SWORE to me that I still had it in me. (Never listen to a lying mind.)  So, every social game devolved into intensive drills after the fact.  It was either all or nothing, and eventually I gave it up.  

Same for getting back on the RT.  I'm busy getting farkles "just perfect", and have winter as cover for why I'm not out there everyday riding the thing.  And, of course, I don't want to start the diet and exercise, until I have everything ready, food (half done), gym (done), calorie tracking (have browsed a half dozen apps, NOT done), and can benchmark my progress weekly.   That's just another obstacle to overcome.  Once I get my routine set, everything goes on automatic.

So, we're our own worst enemy.  I see "really heavy" people and feel so sorry for them (as opposed to "pleasantly plump" me😖, that mirror is a BEAST as a truth teller!).  The solution for them is the same for me, i.e. some combination of reasonable exercise, reasonable diet, and CONSISTENCY in both

Well, if I don't lose weight, I'm not buying my motorcycle gear.  If I don't have protective gear, I'm not riding.  I WANT to ride in the spring.   I have health issues, many of which might be mitigated to some extent by losing 80+ lbs.   (Plus, I'm installing maybe three tons of cultured stone this spring, before I'm free to go play, and THAT involves lifting maybe 2500 lbs of mortar, in 90 lb bags, uh... plus "lifting" six pallets of stone, one stone at a time.)

Got to do it, it's as simple as that.  Starting as soon as I'm over this cold, maybe Monday, of this week or next, we'll see .....  🥴

Thanks again, for bearing with me, offering all the advice and contributions, and encouragement.

🍻

(That's low carb "lite" beer, don't worry! 😏)

1 hour ago, Scott9999 said:

Commitment, and a rational plan, and this thread is useful for both.  My goal was to start January 1st, and that date came and went in a whirlwind.  Then came my wife's cold and flu (i.e. the gym is on the way to her work, when I drop her off, and she's been off a week), and now, my own cold and flu (as a married couple, we of course share EVERYTHING, including the flu. 🙄😒).  I'm moving slowly to whatever my real start date is.

So, there's reality that impacts why and when we lose weight, and there's excuses.  One of my problems is that I'm a perfectionist.  I used to play college tennis, but couldn't do much of that on active duty.  When I periodically returned to the game, I tried to play at the same level I was at in college, and my mind SWORE to me that I still had it in me. (Never listen to a lying mind.)  So, every social game devolved into intensive drills after the fact.  It was either all or nothing, and eventually I gave it up.  

Same for getting back on the RT.  I'm busy getting farkles "just perfect", and have winter as cover for why I'm not out there everyday riding the thing.  And, of course, I don't want to start the diet and exercise, until I have everything ready, food (half done), gym (done), calorie tracking (have browsed a half dozen apps, NOT done), and can benchmark my progress weekly.   That's just another obstacle to overcome.  Once I get my routine set, everything goes on automatic.

There are many, many things that one can do without a gym, full body workouts utilizing only body weight.  At work, in one of the many offices I have to sit in, I do pushups, 25 at a pop.  When I have to boot a computer, that means pushups, if I have to restart a computer, pushups.  If you balance right, you can do dips between two chairs, short dips, but dips nonetheless.  Squats can be done anywhere at all, 30 at a pop.  Don't use missing a gym session as an excuse for not doing anything.

1 hour ago, Scott9999 said:

Well, if I don't lose weight, I'm not buying my motorcycle gear.  If I don't have protective gear, I'm not riding.  I WANT to ride in the spring.   I have health issues, many of which might be mitigated to some extent by losing 80+ lbs.   (Plus, I'm installing maybe three tons of cultured stone this spring, before I'm free to go play, and THAT involves lifting maybe 2500 lbs of mortar, in 90 lb bags, uh... plus "lifting" six pallets of stone, one stone at a time.)

That's why I have a wife, she carries those mortar bags too.  Marrying a country girl has its benefits ;)  But you have a Filipina,.....and I'd love some authentic lumpia;) yut, yut!!

2 hours ago, Scott9999 said:

Scott, I'm in a similar situation.  My gear no longer fits and I am an AGATT guy.  I need to loose at least 30 lbs for it to be functional; protection & ventilation.  I need to loose an additional 20 for health reasons (hypertension).  I have ruined my back & have had surgery to partially fix ruptured discs.  So, walking is about my only exercise option.  Winter with snow and ice make that problematic.  So, woe is me.  I've figured out over the years that exercise is not much help for loosing weight.  It's great for muscle development and cardio vascular.  But it takes a sheet load of walking/running to burn off one burger and fries.  Weight loss is all about what and how much one stuffs in their cake hole (or not). 

One thing not mentioned in this thread is the social aspect of weight loss/control.  It seems my entire social life centers around breaking bread and indulging in adult beverages with friends.  It puts a damper on your emotional balance if you either cut off your social ties or when you do socialize it's 'I can't eat that' or 'I can't drink that'.  Changing what one eats and drinks is one thing.  Putting a cold wet blanket on the majority of social aspects of life is a whole nuther' thing.

John Ranalletta
27 minutes ago, Red said:

It seems my entire social life centers around breaking bread and indulging in adult beverages with friends.  It puts a damper on your emotional balance if you either cut off your social ties or when you do socialize it's 'I can't eat that' or 'I can't drink that'.  Changing what one eats and drinks is one thing.  Putting a cold wet blanket on the majority of social aspects of life is a whole nuther' thing.

That's a great point.  Most of our socializing with friends is over food...lots of food.  Many rides are to restaurant destinations, too. 

Kilrush R1150RT
On 1/5/2022 at 8:20 AM, Scott9999 said:

Well, not so anonymous anymore.  😏😞

So, I bought my 2018 RT ahead of schedule (last October), I lost all my (very old) riding gear, so I'm getting ready this spring to buy new stuff (already got the helmets, since my fat head ain't gonna change much).    I'm realistically, at least 70 lbs, and more honestly, about 80 lbs overweight on my 6' 2" frame.    Top of my priority list this spring has been to lose some of that weight before I buy my new gear.  I hope to start riding again in April, May at the latest.    I've used "nutrisytems" in the past when I was younger, plus some intensive work at a local YMCA.  I'm not young anymore, I'm technically a heart disease patient (well, more than just "technical", but I'm lying to myself telling me that losing weight and getting back to the gym will magically fix all of that 🙄), now I've also got a bum left ankle from a bad break back in 2006, and ...

... I just need to lose weight, and build back some muscle, or I won't be riding much this year.

The Nutrisystems stuff, while it works, is now $1000 for 2 months, for what I used to pay less than $100 ten years ago.  Plus, about half the stuff they have is fluff, i.e. "special" cookies and muffins and snacks, which I don't need help with (i.e. I well know how to find and eat that stuff; I don't need to pay a company to ship me it a 10x the markup of a regular Walmart).  I'm looking at some software to create a diet, menu, and track calories.   I used to be an athlete.  I know the basics.   I need to drop down to about a 1000 calorie per day diet, low on Carbs and sugars, higher on protein and veggies, exercise portion control, and exercise.  I've already opened a registration at a gym with a swimming pool (i.e. I can't run or walk much due to the ankle, so I have always focused on swimming for the high intensity exercise stuff).  Working on the diet stuff.   I lost 20 lbs a month for maybe, two months, on the Nutrisystem plan a decade back. 

So, since it's the new year, many of us are carrying more weight than we should, and exercising less than we should, I'll toss this out.

Any ideas on diet, exercise, or self-management of such a program?

I'll probably work all this out on my own, but I'm always open to hearing advice.  ("Hearing" is the operative word.  Accepting, putting it into action, well, now that's a work in progress.🤣🤣🤣 )

(Hey, it's winter, and most of us aren't riding, so .... have you got something better to do than read this and chime in?  😁)

BTW, I really enjoy the conversations here, including the good, bad, ugly, and of course, the silly, too.   Thanks, to all.

Try https://www.myfitnesspal.com/ for tracking intake.

I bought a recumbent exercise bike last year and created a gym in one of our bedrooms. Brilliant. Do 20km on the bike a day to burn carbs (cannot run due to weight and ankle issues as well) and lift weights. It is slow but getting there. Still had to buy new biking gear though. 7 stents here.........

good luck

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Red said:

Scott, I'm in a similar situation.  My gear no longer fits and I am an AGATT guy.  I need to loose at least 30 lbs for it to be functional; protection & ventilation.  I need to loose an additional 20 for health reasons (hypertension).  I have ruined my back & have had surgery to partially fix ruptured discs.  So, walking is about my only exercise option.  Winter with snow and ice make that problematic.  So, woe is me.  I've figured out over the years that exercise is not much help for loosing weight.  It's great for muscle development and cardio vascular.  But it takes a sheet load of walking/running to burn off one burger and fries.  Weight loss is all about what and how much one stuffs in their cake hole (or not). 

One thing not mentioned in this thread is the social aspect of weight loss/control.  It seems my entire social life centers around breaking bread and indulging in adult beverages with friends.  It puts a damper on your emotional balance if you either cut off your social ties or when you do socialize it's 'I can't eat that' or 'I can't drink that'.  Changing what one eats and drinks is one thing.  Putting a cold wet blanket on the majority of social aspects of life is a whole nuther' thing.

3 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

That's a great point.  Most of our socializing with friends is over food...lots of food.  Many rides are to restaurant destinations, too. 

That social thing should not be affected at all.  Meeting friends for dinner, order what you "need" to eat, if nothing's available per your "diet", order something close enough and only eat half. 

I gave up alcoholic beverages six-eight years ago,...my philosophy on drinking was that the only time to put alcohol to lips was to get drunk.  I only drank on the weekends and it'd be easily a case.  So, I stopped, but didn't stop hanging with people that do drink and there's been no loss of socializing because of it. 

Just cause you meet people for lunch or dinner and you are trying to dump some weight, doesn't mean you can't meet them at a favorite slop chute and have a meal with them, just regulate it. 

I lost 10 lbs just by starting my day off with a large glass of water with fresh lemon juice in it. 

Don't just squirt some from a bottle shaped like a lemon, it's pasteurized which removes the benefit of a fresh lemon.

Also, "Little Debbie" is a monster!

• Haha 2

I lost 20 pounds over the last 3 months, Dr. scared me when he suggested I could be pre-diabetic!  Last year I put 1500 miles on my bicycle and played golf 50 times.  Exercise, after a certain age and with muscle adaptability is not making weight loss. What I discovered on this journey, {I have plateaued over the holidays} , is that I really only had to cut back on what I was eating and no in-between pretzels at 4:00pm.{ Admittedly I am a Pretzelholic}   As we age, I am convinced, we need to eat a lot less than when we were 40. Another 20 pounds is about where I think I want to be, when I was racing bikes I was 60 pounds less, but I was riding 3000 + miles a year. I was also racing and racing Cross Country skis and training 10-15 hrs per week. . Now I ride only 1 hour, 3-4 days a week. No skiing. So I have adjusted, hardly any carbs. protein is the main focus, and 5 hrs a week working out, a half glass of wine with dinner.  We shall see how I progress. I do a lot of push-away exercises also, I push half my food away right away and use that as portion control. I never eat everything in a restaurant, take half and box it right when they serve it. I think the secret is, there is no secret.  Just discipline. 

• Like 2

Frank and I get together for lunch about once a month. We used to meet in this bar and eat greasy, unhealthy food. But I don't eat that stuff anymore, I'd rather keep those 80 pounds off.  My choices for lunch include Panera, Core Life, Chipolte, and a few Middle Eastern and a Vietnamese place. I can get really good healthy food in these places and as Pat points out, I take half home with me. Frank says he liked me better when I was "a dirty eater" but he is complying with my request as its not about the food but the visit. I'm not who I was. I know you crave nothing more than Sunday poetry so here goes:

"I might not be
Someone's first choice
But, I remain a great choice

I may not be rich
But, I am valuable

I do not pretend to be someone.
Who I am not
Because I am already good
At being me

I might not be proud of some of the things
I have done in the past
But, I am proud of
Who I am today

I may not be perfect
But, I do not need to be

Take me as I am or
Watch me as I walk away"

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, MichiganBob said:

Frank and I get together for lunch about once a month. We used to meet in this bar and eat greasy, unhealthy food. But I don't eat that stuff anymore, I'd rather keep those 80 pounds off.  My choices for lunch include Panera, Core Life, Chipolte, and a few Middle Eastern and a Vietnamese place. I can get really good healthy food in these places and as Pat points out, I take half home with me. Frank says he liked me better when I was "a dirty eater" but he is complying with my request as its not about the food but the visit. I'm not who I was. I know you crave nothing more than Sunday poetry so here goes:

"I might not be
Someone's first choice
But, I remain a great choice

I may not be rich
But, I am valuable

I do not pretend to be someone.
Who I am not
Because I am already good
At being me

I might not be proud of some of the things
I have done in the past
But, I am proud of
Who I am today

I may not be perfect
But, I do not need to be

Take me as I am or
Watch me as I walk away"

We tell my brother he was a lot more fun before he quit drinking. His wife does not agree with us. We may be a bad influence on him....

John Ranalletta

Can't just lose weight without losing muscle tissue and that's a real problem for us oldies.  We need to maintain muscle strength just to stand up.  Most "exercise" doesn't increase muscle strength as much as we need.   

I would not give anyone grief for making good choices in life, whether changing eating or drinking habits.  Those that do harass friends do it out of jealousy, not a sense of loss.

I wouldn’t give anyone grief for making bad choices in life. Unless, they constantly complain about being out of shape and overweight. Then it’s just a hey, I know this evil girl in town that will yell at you if you don’t start sweating within the first fifteen minutes of her workout program. :classic_biggrin:

On 1/15/2022 at 11:45 AM, TEWKS said:

@King Herald looks like you’ve got some work ahead of ya. But, It sounds like you saved your bike in the split. (most important for future therapy) Always remember this…:yes:

Nah, I had to sell my bike too when I moved, see pic, but I did get to take my daughter, which was all that really mattered at the time. :18:

I bought the BM later. A wise decision. :thumbsup:

I had owned the SR500 for 20 years, did dozens of minor modifications which the untrained eye will never notice.

SR500.jpg

• Like 1
On 1/16/2022 at 5:29 PM, John Ranalletta said:

Can't just lose weight without losing muscle tissue and that's a real problem for us oldies.  We need to maintain muscle strength just to stand up.  Most "exercise" doesn't increase muscle strength as much as we need.   

I've done a few sessions at the newly joined gym now, cardio on some torturous treadmill and stair climbing machines, for at least half hour, then I go round the weight lifting type machines for a half hour. The plan is to go 3 times a week. I'll never be Mr Universe, but hopefully it will improve my general bodily function. 

• Like 3

That’s a pretty cool looking SR! :thumbsup: Good on the gym (not going to happen all at once) and good on your daughter. Seems like you’re winning! ;) 

• Like 2