IGNORED

Fatty BMW Riders Anonymous .....

Scott9999

Well, not so anonymous anymore.Ā  šŸ˜šŸ˜ž

Ā 

So, I bought my 2018 RT ahead of schedule (last October), I lost all my (very old) riding gear, so I'm getting ready this spring to buy new stuff (already got the helmets, since my fat head ain't gonna change much).Ā  Ā  I'm realistically, at least 70 lbs, and more honestly, about 80 lbs overweight on my 6' 2" frame.Ā  Ā  Top of my priority list this spring has been to lose some of that weight before I buy my new gear.Ā  I hope to start riding again in April, May at the latest.Ā  Ā  I've used "nutrisytems" in the past when I was younger, plus some intensive work at a local YMCA.Ā  I'm not young anymore, I'm technically a heart disease patient (well, more than just "technical", but I'm lying to myself telling me that losing weight and getting back to the gym will magically fix all of that šŸ™„), now I've also got a bum left ankle from a bad break back in 2006, and ...

Ā 

... I just need to lose weight, and build back some muscle, or I won't be riding much this year.

Ā 

The Nutrisystems stuff, while it works, is now $1000 for 2 months, for what I used to pay less than $100 ten years ago.Ā  Plus, about half the stuff they have is fluff, i.e. "special" cookies and muffins and snacks, which I don't need help with (i.e. I well know how to find and eat that stuff; I don't need to pay a company to ship me it a 10x the markup of a regular Walmart).Ā  I'm looking at some software to create a diet, menu, and track calories.Ā  Ā I used to be an athlete.Ā  I know the basics.Ā  Ā I need to drop down to about a 1000 calorie per day diet, low on Carbs and sugars, higher on protein and veggies, exercise portion control, and exercise.Ā  I've already opened a registration at a gym with a swimming pool (i.e. I can't run or walk much due to the ankle, so I have always focused on swimming for the high intensity exercise stuff).Ā  Working on the diet stuff.Ā  Ā I lost 20 lbs a month for maybe, two months, on the Nutrisystem plan a decade back.Ā 

Ā 

So, since it's the new year, many of us are carrying more weight than we should, and exercising less than we should, I'll toss this out.

Ā 

Any ideas on diet, exercise, or self-management of such a program?

Ā 

I'll probably work all this out on my own, but I'm always open to hearing advice.Ā  ("Hearing" is the operative word.Ā  Accepting, putting it into action, well, now that's a work in progress.šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ )

Ā 

(Hey, it's winter, and most of us aren't riding, so .... have you got something better to do than read this and chime in?Ā  šŸ˜)

Ā 

BTW, I really enjoy the conversations here, including the good, bad, ugly, and of course, the silly, too.Ā  Ā Thanks, to all.

Iā€™ve been going to a localĀ http://boot camp style gym Ā for about eight years now. Iā€™m not who I thought Iā€™d be ā€œphysicallyā€ after all that time but I hate to think where Iā€™d be if I didnā€™t put in some work. My problem is twofold, age and I like sweets.Ā 
Ā 

Do you have a local gym with a motivational instructor? Gonna cost you a little more than just a membership but for me, I need the push.

Ā 

BTW, just went back after my December Covid vacation. Wasnā€™t too bad getting back to it.Ā :dontknow:

edit

better link maybe.Ā 
https://m.facebook.com/boylesfitnessfactory/videos/873763159797270/

Iā€™m going to live this journey through you.

Like you, I know how to do it. Unlike you I seem to be lacking the motivation. The one bit of knowledge that I can impart is that the closer you get to a plant-based diet the better off youā€™ll be, both in terms of normalizing your weight and in improving your cardiac health. Ā Some people experience significant weight loss focusing on high-protein (meat) based diets, but shorten their lives. Not the best approach.

Good luck!

Canā€™t really help you on a diet/exercise routine but I recently lost 20 lbs. Not the ideal way to achieve weight loss but it worked for me.Ā 
Ā 

Went in the hospital for a heart cath and stent(s) Dec 21. Contracted COVID while there I presume and am just now getting back to normal. It hit me Christmas Day. Gave it to my wife and 84 year old live in mother in law. We are all Pfizer vaxed. All three tested positive. Not pretty but more or less like a case of the flu. The main lingering symptoms are fatigue and shortness of breath. We are all a LOT better now but due to an unrelated to me emergency that pulled my cardiologist away from my procedure on Dec. 21 I have to go back Jan 14 to get other stent placed. I can hardly wait.Ā 

Ā 

I donā€™t recommend this plan by the way. Good luck.Ā 

1 hour ago, Rinkydink said:

Canā€™t really help you on a diet/exercise routine but I recently lost 20 lbs. Not the ideal way to achieve weight loss but it worked for me.Ā 
Ā 

Went in the hospital for a heart cath and stent(s) Dec 21. Contracted COVID while there I presume and am just now getting back to normal. It hit me Christmas Day. Gave it to my wife and live in mother in law. We are all Pfizer vaxed. All three tested positive. Not pretty but more or less like a case of the flu. The main lingering symptoms are fatigue and shortness of breath. We are all a LOT better now but due to an unrelated to me emergency that pulled my cardiologist away from my procedure on Dec. 21 I have to go back Jan 14 to get other stent placed. I can hardly wait.Ā 

Ā 

Hang in there, and get better soon.Ā  Ā My axiom has always been:Ā  We can't ride if we're dead!Ā  šŸ™„

Ā 

I had anĀ angioplasty with aĀ stent put in about 2013, and had another angiogram in 2017, due to severe angina pains (was all clear on the major blood vessels).Ā  I've got other issues now, diagnosis continuing, TBD.Ā  So, I've walked much of your walk.Ā  Ā  You definitely need that stent to open the blockage your cardiologist apparently found.Ā  (BTW, there was a 90 day delay between my diagnosis and the surgery, because, believe it or not, California summarily cancelled my private "Cadillac" medical insurance plan as "inadequate" by new Obamacare rules (i.e. I guess it didn't provide maternity care for men, or something like that), the day I was diagnosed.Ā  That wait was NOT a comfortable feeling at all, blockage was 98% when they finally got in there.)

Ā 

One of the reasons I'm so ticked off (don't really wanna get political here) about the COVID reaction by .... certain authorities, is that it's causing critical care delays for more serious procedures, like yours, like cancer screenings, etc.Ā  Ā There's no way "the flu" (i.e. the 1918 flu corona virus to be specific) would have prevented a heart cath and stent placement, prior to 2020.Ā  Ā The consequence of missing one (i.e. heart attack), is much more severe than the consequences of the other (i.e. the flu), though both could kill a man.

Ā 

Anyhow, hang in there, and press your medical team to get 'er done ASAP.Ā  (I also had a surgeries cancelled in 2020 and 2021, so again, BTDT).Ā  Said a prayer for ya, buddy.Ā 

Ā 

Now, back to my weight loss dilemma!Ā  Ā One would think that a heart surgery patient/survivor would have kept his weight in check, exercised regularly, eaten nothing but cardboard and lawn grass just to be sure, but NOOooo, I had to be the miscreant who "ate, drank, and made merry". šŸ™„

Ā 

To the other contributors:Ā  The tip on a personal trainer is great.Ā  Any support group is good.Ā  Ā The biggest obstacles for me are (a) inertia and (b) routine.Ā  If I can get my program going, and get it into a routine, the rest is relatively easy.Ā  (Ummm, don't ask me how I know .... wash, rinse, repeat,wash, rinse, repeat,wash, rinse, repeat ... yoyo weight loss vet).Ā  Original target for setting the diet up, and in motion was Jan 1st (well, actually, Oct 1st, but who's counting).Ā  Now it's ... uh... (calendar check) ... Friday??

Ā 

If I REALLY DO make some progress, I'll update this thread, so y'all can celebrate with me, or more likely, laugh at me (Hey, I lost 2 lbs in 3 months!!!). šŸ¤£šŸ˜–

• Like 2

Good Morning,

Ā 

Here's my deal. I was 270 three years ago and now 180. That's the equivalent to losing a 6th grade boy. Got there mainly with exercise and low carb. I've been grooved the last year in my eating and exercise. By grooved, I mean that through discipline and repetition, I changed which neuropathways I rely on and use. Afterall, it's all in the brain. It's estimated that it takes an average of 62 days to change a habit so whatever we want to change needs at least a two month trial. Sometimes, that calls for silly little rewards some nice cigars or bourbon or a farkle... whatever it takes. I also changed some of my soliloquies, my inner narrative, so that I use self-statement I believe in and can live by. I accept that at 73, my metabolism is a lot slower and will have to work harder for smaller gains. Comes with the territory.

Ā 

So, drum roll,Ā  here's my life style changes that I have stayed with:

Ā 

Seldom eat fried foods. Love them but their are not good for me.Ā 

Very minimal on the sweets but a nice slab of rhubarb custard pie or muffin every once in a while is a real treat. Make it special.

No fast foods. Easy peasy but usually not healthy and way too much sodium.

Avoid high carbs including bread, pasta, rice and such. Get as much satisfaction with Wasa or other thins and enjoy the crunch. Costco has a healthy noodle that tastes great at very low calories and carbs. There are some great carb substitutes out there.

A big salad every night with dinner. Loaded with Flax and Chia Seed and a few nuts as a reward. Low caloried dressing like balsamic.

If eating out, I go for Panera, Chipolte, Core Life, Thai, Vietnemese, Chinese or other places where I can get a satisfying and healthy meal. I get a box with the meal and eat half of it and save the other for later. You get used to it.

I never eat after dinner.

As I eat less, it becomes the new normal. Hard to believe that for my birthday, my wife and I shared a one pound dry aged ribeye and we got a second meal from it.

I walk every day, at least three miles. If I don't walk daily, I feel off. Once again, brain is rewired and body reprogrammed. I stretch and do floor exercises every day. I do machines at Planet Fitness every other day. As Scott points out, swimming is a great alternative. Just got to get to the pool.

Ā 

Hope this does not sound preachy -- not my style. Just what I've learned in this three year journey.

Ā 

Best of good fortune and health to all of you this New Year.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, MichiganBob said:

Good Morning,

Ā 

Here's my deal. I was 270 three years ago and now 180.

Ā 

Hope this does not sound preachy -- not my style. Just what I've learned in this three year journey.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ya lost 90 lbs.Ā  Ā By my standards, that gives you preaching rights!Ā  šŸ‘šŸ»Ā  (that's low carb beer, btw)

Gonna pin your post above my desk.

Ā 

I wrote this post partly as a rant, and partly because stats tell me most here are likely carrying a few to a lot of pounds, extra.Ā  Ā Personally, at age 66, I'm feeling old, tired, and somewhat depressed.Ā  I can't fix the first, but there are things I can do that'll make a big difference on the latter two.Ā  Ā So, this post is also my declaration, my commitment to lose some weight.Ā  I won't put a number on how much now, but I'm in the same boat as you were, i.e. 270 lbs, and should get under #200, better at #190, while adding muscle back.Ā  Ā I won't be enjoying future years (let alone surviving), if I don't.Ā  Ā 

Ā 

This post was my kickstart (if that ol' engine will JUST turnover and spark a bit šŸ˜).Ā 

4 hours ago, Rinkydink said:

Ā 

Went in the hospital for a heart cath and stent(s) Dec 21. Contracted COVID while there I presume and am just now getting back to normal. It hit me Christmas Day. Gave it to my wife and 84 year old live in mother in law. We are all Pfizer vaxed. All three tested positive. Not pretty but more or less like a case of the flu. The main lingering symptoms are fatigue and shortness of breath. We are all a LOT better now but due to an unrelated to me emergency that pulled my cardiologist away from my procedure on Dec. 21 I have to go back Jan 14 to get other stent placed. I can hardly wait.Ā 

Ā 

glad you're okay!

• Plus 1 1
48 minutes ago, TEDZ said:

I lost 140 pounds in 1989.Ā  The divorce lawyer was only $200.Ā  NotĀ  a bad dollar/pound ratio.

And curing a nagging headache all at the same time it sounds like. Genius! :yes:Ā Ā :spittake:

• Haha 1

I ran into a former coworker, he had lost 100 pounds since I last saw him, asked him how he did it. Got divorced. That'll do it. The old "divorce diet" works for many, though a bit extreme.

5 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

Hey Scott, what liquids do you drink throughout the day?

Pint of Crown and coke, every 3 hours!

Ā 

What????šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøĀ :whistle:

Ā 

Seriously, doc:Ā  Not enough water, too much diet soda, an occasional Monster energy drink, milk at dinner, OJ with breakfast in the morning.Ā  Maybe a beer or glass of wine once or twice a week.

I know a bunch that won't make the "diet" cut.

4 hours ago, Hosstage said:

I ran into a former coworker, he had lost 100 pounds since I last saw him, asked him how he did it. Got divorced. That'll do it. The old "divorce diet" works for many, though a bit extreme.

Hmm, I'll have to discuss this with my wife tonight.Ā  Ā (She may not let me back in this place, though. šŸ˜)

• Haha 1
Wayne Johnson

Im using Noom and liking it keeps you honest because you are keeping track of what your eating. Bottom line it starts at the store you bring the wrong stuff home your going to eat it!!Ā 

• Like 1

Ā 

20 minutes ago, Wayne Johnson said:

Bottom line it starts at the store you bring the wrong stuff home your going to eat it!!Ā 

I donā€™t shop that often but when I do, the Little Debbieā€™s aisle has always been a tough one to get by.Ā :classic_biggrin:

Ā 

image.jpeg.2290f322bfb3c8adf5345633168064f1.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1
John Ranalletta
1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

Ā 

I donā€™t shop that often but when I do, the Little Debbieā€™s aisle has always been a tough one to get by.Ā :classic_biggrin:

Ā 

Ā 

teaser image

Ā 

Just for kicks, the next time at a BMW rally, walk up to a group you do not know and ask, "Hey, guys, I'm looking for a fellow I'm supposed to meet.Ā  He's 60-70 years old, partially bald and over weight.Ā  Any chance you've seen him?"

Ā 

Little Debbie's are the best.Ā  In the early 80's I was sales manager for a frozen food company.Ā  We'd do food shows at distributors (Sysco, et al) showing our stuff in the broker's booth.Ā  Two other vendors were a vanilla and chocolate eclair maker and a frozen fancy dessert cake maker.Ā  After two days in the booth trading fried, breaded mozzarella sticks for eclairs and cake, I could hardly walk.

• Haha 3
4 hours ago, Scott9999 said:

OJ with breakfast in the morning

Sugar like this kills your whole day........ most OJ is pure sugar. Spikes your insulin and you have no energy for the day. This has the biggest effect for me.

• Plus 1 1
4 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Ā 

Ā 

image.jpeg.2290f322bfb3c8adf5345633168064f1.jpeg

Finally, someone posts a picture of food that I actually want to see! Screw your steak and potato picture from the fancy steakhouse, this is something I can get behind.

• Smile 1
  • Haha 1

Hmmm, funny how the guys here are all trying to help out ....

Ā 

... by posting their most tempting treats!Ā  šŸ˜”

Ā 

Y'all forgot about ice cream (name your poison), cheese cake, candy ... heck, why not go whole hog.Ā  I'll be 25 lbs heavier before I even START the diet.

Ā 

Ā 

• Haha 2

Maybe I'll be a little preachy here afterall Scott but it's not a diet but a lifestyle change and an important one. Once you shed those pounds, you don't want to go back. You know what all that comfort food tastes like, chowed on it for years, and the question becomes can you say adios to it in exchange for something worth a whole lot more. Sermon over.

So much advice on what's worked for various individuals.Ā  And diets DO work.Ā  Until you stop.

Ā 

Read Dr. Jason Fung's book, The Obesity Code.Ā  You'll find lots of great information about studies that have been done all over the world on weight loss.Ā  Reducing calories, works.Ā  Exercise works.Ā  All of it works.Ā  For a time.Ā  Then we plateau.Ā  I know you've heard or experienced this.Ā  It's because our body has developed a "set weight" that it wants to be at, and it compensates for what you're doing by dieting.Ā  Then, when you stop, it wants to go back to that weight.Ā  You can keep it off with continued dieting, but once you've plateaud, the battle is over.Ā  But what Dr. Fung has found is a way to change our body's "set weight".Ā  That's the weight our bodies seem to want to come back to, when we either lose or gain weight.Ā  It's based on Insulin resistance that develops in the liver from overeating (insulin is released whenever you eat, regardless of WHAT, although in varying quantities precisely because of WHAT).Ā  The basic process is to change what you eat and WHEN you eat.Ā  As has been mentioned, breads, pasta, rice, potatoes and of course sugar (carbohydrates in any of its dozens of forms) all trigger the greatest amount of insulin (and of course veggies, proteins and fats release a lot less).Ā  Triggering more insulin than you need is what builds up the resistance.Ā  Going longer periods without food (and thus without insulin), helps chip away at that resistance and thus lowers your "set weight".Ā  This means that your body WANTS to be at that lower weight.Ā  So that whatever you do to lose weight (eat better, reduce calories, gym, etc) will have a more permanent effect.Ā  Basically, it's called an intermittent fast.Ā  You have an 8 hour stretch each day to consume your meals.Ā  And they should be good meals.Ā  Veggies, modest protein quantities, and fat.Ā  Ā And then don't eat for 16 hours.Ā  If you break it down, it means you eat your meals (no snacking) from 11 or noon to about 7PM (two meals, three meals, whatever - - - I fluctuated).Ā  Then don't eat after that.Ā  Sleep for 8 hours and don't eat breakfast until about 11 (morning coffee without sweetening is OK, but basically just water until your 8-hour window opens).Ā  Your meals can be normal size because you do need the nourishment.Ā  Just not the crap.

Ā 

I tried this a year ago and lost 24 lbs. in 3 months.Ā  It took a little getting used to, but it's nowhere near as tough as when I dieted at 1200 calories per day years before.Ā  It's just a different eating "rhythm."Ā  After I lost this recent weight, I went back to eating regularly spaced normal-size meals, but eating healthier, and the weight has stayed off.Ā  It didn't creep back up at all.Ā  Pigged out at Thanksgiving and Christmas this year (stayed away from the bad stuff, though), and gained 3 lbs.Ā  Without doing ANYTHING, the weight has come off, because I reset my Set Weight and that's where my body wants to be.Ā  This spring I'm going for another 25 lbs.Ā  The beauty of this is that the weight doesn't creep back on because your body wants to get back to your new Set Weight.Ā  You've CHANGED your Set Weight by giving your body an Insulin rest each day, during which it chips away at the Insulin resistance you've built up over the years.Ā  Oh, it's much more complex than that, and Dr. Fung's book explains it very well, and is completely understandable to we non-medical types.

Ā 

As with all such things, YMMV and I'm not a doctor, so please check with yours before beginning any weight loss program (holy $hit are we really at the point where we have to write legal disclaimer lines to each other?). But this book was recommended to me by my physician, and I've found it to be the most comprehensive explanation of why I got to be heavy, and why previous efforts to reduce were only temporary.Ā  Oh, and as a side benefit, I've been borderline Type II diabetic for 20 years, with an A1C usually around 5.9.Ā  It's been at 5.4 and holding steady for a year now.

Ā 

Again, not criticizing what others have done and what they've found success with.Ā  You can lose weight 20 different ways from Sunday.Ā  But if you don't reset the weight that you've trained your body to be at, it can be a struggle to maintain the loss.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 2
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

Can't I just take a pill for that?

You know that the next Gazillionair will be the guy who invents that!!

Ā 

Seriously, what EffBee has done is what I have been doing..... hitting it hard now to get thirty more off like last year.:18:

• Like 1
9 hours ago, EffBee said:

Ā It's because our body has developed a "set weight" that it wants to be at, and it compensates for what you're doing by dieting.

Yeah, my body's "set weight" has been "3 lbs more than last year" for about 30 years.Ā  šŸ™„Ā Ā 

Ā 

Thanks for the advice, though!

Ā 

(And, that's REALLY good advice.Ā  Ā The people who frequent this forum are unusually well informed on a lot of issues, even if some of us lean left, right, or agnostic on issues.Ā  What we all learn on this forum is WAY more valuable than just "BMW Motorcycle advice".Ā  Ā There have always been a great bunch of people here, and I want to personally thank you, for Moderating the forum!)

• Like 1
John Ranalletta
9 hours ago, EffBee said:

So much advice on what's worked for various individuals.Ā  And diets DO work.Ā  Until you stop.

Ā 

Again, not criticizing what others have done and what they've found success with.Ā  You can lose weight 20 different ways from Sunday.Ā  But if you don't reset the weight that you've trained your body to be at, it can be a struggle to maintain the loss.

Ā 

Another reference for intermittent fasting is Dr. Peter Attia. https://peterattiamd.com/my-nutritional-framework/

Ā 

I'm currently on a campaign to re-learn how/what to eat.Ā  I'm down about 30lbs since late Sep with another 9-10 to go.Ā  Two changes have helped.Ā  This seems to be working for us.Ā  YMMV

Ā 

• Plan ahead.Ā  Have the right foods prepared, ready to cook and serve in advance.Ā  Standing in front of the frig 30 minutes before eating, trying to figure out what to eat leads to bad choices, e.g. if the noon meal is a serving of protein, veg, starch & fat, it's prepped the night before and ready to heat/eat.
  • Discontinue "family style" dining.Ā  We're cooking/prepping the food we're going to eat, we fill our plates at the stove with planned portions using measuring cups and a scale.Ā  Before, we might cook a pot roast or a chicken or bowl of mashed potatoes and put it on the table making it easy to just keep picking away at it.Ā  When the plate's clean, I'm done eating.
  • Traveling/touring is not an eating tournament.Ā  How many of us have posted pictures of terrific meals on our rides?Ā  I have.Ā  When we travel, we pack what we can.Ā  When making restaurant/meal choices, we order trying to keep the portion targets in mind.Ā  Yesterday, we took a day trip to the Ohio River and dined at a luncheonette.Ā  I could have fought the guy at the neighboring table for his beef Manhattan (beef sandwich with mashed potatoes covered in brown gravy).

Ā 

IMO, there's another advantage to intermittent fasting.Ā  I've often thought that it was easier for me to quit a 20-year, 2-pack/day smoking habit than diet because I didn't need to smoke every day to live.Ā  If one's fasting for whatever period, there's no guesses or gauging what/how much to eat.Ā  The answer is "nothing".Ā 

Ā 

Re: Insulin:Ā  My wife is a Type 1 diabetic since age 16.Ā  There's no better example of the importance of diet/insulin regulation than to watch her calculate the carb load of a meal and bolus insulin to cover, short & long term.

Ā 

Ā 

nutrition-framework-3-levers.png

• Like 1

One more comment regarding EffBee's and John's contribution, concerning "When you eat" and/or intermittent fasting.

Ā 

My "weight" problem occurred, as with many men, over a period of years.Ā  I was still running an 18 year old's Navy PT times in my early 40's, while I was still an active Navy reservist, but I was bumping up against the Navy's "obesity" standards even then.Ā  I was a bit athletic, but it's built up over the years as I slowed down.Ā  Stereotypical.Ā  My sisters have had weight problems early, and two of them had stomach stabling surgery (which has caused them many later health problems).

Ā 

So, based upon this history, here's my purely anecdotal observation.Ā  I believe that most of the people who have weight problems (e.g. the majority of people in the USA) also have schedule and sleep problems.Ā  They don't do anything on a rigorous schedule, including get 8 hours a night sleep.Ā  On the other hand, if that observation isn't exactly correct, I believe that most people who have NO problems with weight, and/or who may be more physically fit and athletic than the average person throughout their lives, likely maintain a rigorous routine.Ā  They have a natural "rhythm" to their lives that most of the rest of us lack, when it comes to sleeping, meal period, calories consumed, and everything else that they do.Ā  Even if their schedule varies, isn't down in writing, their sixth sense keeps them in rhythm.Ā 

Ā 

So, everything EffBee (re: Jason Fung's book) and JohnĀ  (Peter Attia's web post) have written is consistent with what it will likely take for me to lose weight and maintain that weight level.Ā  Hmmm, but, being 90 lbs overweight, I think I'm gonna have to start with a couple of months of 1200 calorie days, a low carb diet, swimming and some other high intensity exercise.Ā  After dropping the first 20 or 40 lbs, I'll try to stabilize on a normal diet, eating/sleeping schedule, and 3 to 5x a week gym time.Ā  Ā 

Ā 

So, now that I've got a plan, all I need to do is go clean out the refrigerator and pantry.Ā  It's a nasty job, but someone's gotta do it.Ā  Should I start with the left over pizza, or that left over Christmas cheesecake?Ā  Decisions, decisions!Ā  šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ™ƒšŸ˜Ā  (But, hey, I just put in an hour shoveling snow, and will probably repeat that one or two more times before the day is out, so I've already started my workout routine!Ā  One outta two ain't that bad!)

Ā 

Again, thanks to all, for your contributions.Ā  This thread worked out MUCH better than I ever dreamed.Ā  Hope it helps others, too.

• Like 1
John Ranalletta
6 minutes ago, Scott9999 said:

I think I'm gonna have to start with a couple of months of 1200 calorie days, a low carb diet, swimming and some other high intensity exercise.Ā  After dropping the first 20 or 40 lbs, I'll try to stabilize on a normal diet, eating/sleeping schedule, and 3 to 5x a week gym time.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Good for you.Ā  I'd guess our metabolic rates decline with age as well.

Ā 

My experience with exercise:Ā  Running one mile = 2 Oreos.Ā  Running a mile takes about 10 minutes.Ā  Eating two Oreos?Ā  About a split second. :4607: Ask me how I know.

I retired in 2019.Ā  I weighed in at 235.Ā  Today Im about 190.Ā  It was actually easy.Ā  Throw away diet soda.Ā  Not occasionally drink one...never drink one.Ā  Try not to drink your calories...beer, bourbon, wine.Ā  Then the two most important things was the food.Ā  We aren't on any paid plan.Ā  We started following recipes in the new weight watcher points program.Ā  They have tons of them.Ā  We eat fish, chicken, occasionally beef, and vegetables every day.Ā  Occasionally it will include some pasta.Ā  We started buying things fresh...e.g. if we need a tomato sauce we make it in about 15 minutes instead of buying in a jar full of sugar.Ā  I now take a walk at least 3 times a week and sometimes 5 days a week.Ā  It ranges from 1/2 mile to 3 miles depending on what mood I'm in.....So

Ā 

1. Get on weight watcher points making the food yourself.Ā  You won't be hungary

2. Get off booze and sugar

3. Eat vegetables and fruit ( just not bananas)

4. Walk 20-30 minutes 3-5 times a week.

5. No need to be on some fad diet like adkins, low carb, etc...you can't stay on it and you will plateau

Ā 

I want to lose about 10 more pounds to get back to my college weight.Ā  I will without doing anything special.Ā 

Ā 

Good luck.

I look in the carts at the grocery store and some of them are piled sky high but there's no "real food" in them. Frightening.

• Like 2
The Fabricator

Wow! Responses exploded on this topic!

What I did was measure everything I ate.Ā  Got a 2 cup measuring cup, stuff food in it.

Whatever amount you decide on, stick to it.

If the weight is not dropping fast enough [or at all], reduce the amount.

Lost 40 lbs in 2 months.

Prepare to be hungry and rejoice in hunger.

Equating food amount to exercise amount leads to cheating.

John Ranalletta
3 hours ago, MichiganBob said:

I look in the carts at the grocery store and some of them are piled sky high but there's no "real food" in them. Frightening.

Ā 

Did you notice that during COVID20 there was no shortage of cookies, cakes and other sweets and snacks in the stores?

• Thinking 1
4 hours ago, Skywagon said:

3. Eat vegetables and fruit ( just not bananas)

Ā 

WTH?!!Ā  Are you psychic or somethin'?Ā  šŸ‘

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Bernie said:

Loosing weight is the cheapest way to improve the performance of your motorcycle. Improves power to weight ratio.:4617:

LOL, so, ya got me.Ā  I don't wanna imagine what a fat guy looks like riding down the road on a beautiful, sleek, BMW RT, where his gut hangs out sideways as far it does in front.šŸ™„

Yep, this is all about image ... and ahh ... yeah, that power-to-weight thingy, too!:bike:

14 minutes ago, Scott9999 said:

LOL, so, ya got me.Ā  I don't wanna imagine what a fat guy looks like riding down the road on a beautiful, sleek, BMW RT, where his gut hangs out sideways as far it does in front.šŸ™„

Hey, I resemble that remark!

• Haha 2

But here's the nice thing about that, when my arms get a little tired leaning forward on the bars, I can just lay my belly on the tank to hold me up.Ā 

So, you know, advantages.

• Haha 1
John Ranalletta

I just tell folks I developed chest-in-drawers disease. Ā Thatā€™s when your chest drops into your drawers.Ā 

I may just give up the fight all together. :facepalm:Ā Do you know how many Little Debbie snacks I could fit into this one tour pack?Ā :yes:
Likey this new color combo.
image.thumb.jpeg.eb60769f2df884374e5e2a241bb2134b.jpeg

• Like 1